I love Who as much as most in this thread, been to conventions, bought products etc, watched most of the episodes both old and new series alike.

I think the main issues for a falling popularity are

Every episode seems to be based on earth,  what happened to planet xyz and spacestation 123, we have a whole universe / multiverse and the whole of existance to make stories with, but each week we have London, Birmingham or some other part of the world of the 21st century. 
 In the 70’s and 80’s the Doctor did visit earth but no where near as much as now.

I know that CGI isnt cheap, but digital filters on film to change the sky or colour of plants is cheap and easy, its school kid easy, as it can be done post production with shop bought software.

The wastelands of Skaro were filmed in a quarry near where I used to live, we went there as kids after filming had wrapped, although my parents didn't tell us at the time.  7year old me found Skaro oddly familiar the next week. 
When I worked at IBM the building  I worked in had been used many times for filming for different episodes none of which were earth based. 
They used a disused MOD airbase near me for one of Colin Bakers encounters with the Daleks prior to it being demolished and turned into a housing estate.

I think what I am trying to say is they used to be more inventive set wise and managed more with less.

Nowadays with time travel a mainstream plot device in most sci-fi and some dramas they need to make more effort in my opinion. As nothing they do is ground breaking. 

We have good story writers but average scripts most of the time, with the occasional excellent one in the mix.

The BBC wont can it yet as the merch still sells and they have way to much invested, but as its publicly owned, sooner or later if ratings go down questions will get asked.

Then the only option might be overseas investment and or a buy off by one of the independent UK channels.

If that happens foreign syndication might be more difficult, Auntie Beeb has a massive amount of clout arround the world,  and it may end up on a media outlet thats not accessible to the whole of the UK as is current with BBC1 being its output channel. Then it could simply fade away and get dropped.

I hope not as my little boy is just starting to take notice of the Whoverse.

Edited by big F

2 hours ago, big F said:

I think what I am trying to say is they used to be more inventive set wise and managed more with less.

Not disagreeing as just pointing out that we were much more forgiving of dodgy sets and SFX in the olden days.  More stories off of Earth would be good in my opinion too though.  

On 1/3/2021 at 4:32 PM, technoblue said:

Speaking of Torchwood, I was wondering...

Reveal hidden contents

John Barrowman tweeted yesterday that he’s in Cardiff.  Hmmm ....

Yeah, I can't say that I agree with the critical drinker on this one. Not sure how attacking the writers or the lead actor or the showrunner creates a logical connection for the show's downtrend beyond the same in Capaldi's era as lead. I mean, it's obvious that there are some extremely vocal people who aren't into it anymore which is fine.   

Anyway, my opinion is that there are probably other variables which we may not be privy to but which may be easier to reconcile. Besides, NuWho still has a ways to go before it hits the same rock bottom statistics of Classic Who (when the BBC just didn't care anymore and worked actively to remove the show from broadcast). The years with the lowest ratings are still 1986, 1987, and the last year of Classic Who, 1989.

https://guide.doctorwhonews.net/info.php

The saddest thing, seeing it in print, is that Sylvester McCoy's final season has some of his best episodes and people opt out because of the camp antics and low-budget special effects...but I digress. 

Just now, technoblue said:

Yeah, I can't say that I agree with the critical drinker on this one. Not sure how attacking the writers or the lead actor or the showrunner creates a logical connection for the show's downtrend beyond the same in Capaldi's era as lead. I mean, it's obvious that there are some extremely vocal people who aren't into it anymore which is fine.   

A “professional” drama queen on the internet will always need to go below the belt to pay the bills.

2 hours ago, technoblue said:

https://guide.doctorwhonews.net/info.php

The saddest thing, seeing it in print, is that Sylvester McCoy's final season has some of his best episodes and people opt out because of the camp antics and low-budget special effects...but I digress.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. Or it's the nostalgia googles. You can see the ratings start dipping from the end of Smith, through Capaldi and straight into Ms. Whittaker's run. Take out the outliers and it started back in Tenet's run. TV shows just don't have that same stamina they use to.

All thoughts of any sort of background agenda aside, I think they just made a terrible mistake with the direction of the story in this past series.  They answered the central question to the entire existence of the series.  Whether anyone thinks it was a good or bad answer, they removed the mystery. 

Full disclosure though, I started with Eccleston, and haven't seen all the way through the Smith episodes.  My interest mostly fell off after the arcs with Amy and Rory ended.

Did they answer those questions, though?

The Master is manipulative—a known liar but also intelligent. In the classic series, he was shown infiltrating the Panopticon, assassinating the President of Gallifrey, and hacking into the Matrix to change Time Lord historical records, never mind the misdeeds he perpetrated on Earth. In the new series, there is no great Time Lord civilization to stop him. He is free to change records and/or run amuck, and there is also no reason to think that he wouldn't use his old tricks to put the Doctor at a disadvantage. His character has been pretty consistent since being reintroduced, only diverging slightly during the Missy regeneration.

Personally, I am skeptical of the child's origin given my understanding of the Master's character, but even my take is speculative. It assumes Chibnall isn't done with this part of the story, and yeah I'm hoping for it. As someone who started with classic who, I do appreciate the deep cuts. 

Just finished a rewatch of Torchwood from S1 through Miracle Day.  I need more Torchwood.  What I loved about Dr Who, Torchwood and Sarah Jane Chronicles running concurrently was that Dr Who did the Scifi/Alien world exploration.  Torchwood did the Earth/supernatural stuff and SJC appealed to the kids.   Also had K-9.   Then there'd be the big (kinda) crossover where they'd all show up on Dr Who to save the universe.   

I think Class was supposed to be the Teen tie-in but that never went anywhere.

As for the rumours that she's leaving...well whatever happens happens.  New Doctor or not I'll still watch but I think it'd be hilarious for everyone hating on her that they pull a page out of Tennents book and have her regenerate into....herself.

Alright enough of that, anyone know when's the next season/series starting?

8 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

Alright enough of that, anyone know when's the next season/series starting?

Season 13 is already filming, but real world events have cut the episode count down to 8 (reportedly). My guess is that we’ll get to see it broadcast/streaming sometime in the second half of the year.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a30762531/doctor-who-season-13-release-date/

• 9 months later...
16 hours ago, Dynaman said:

This latest season of Who is by far the best of the Jodi Whitaker Who.  Too bad the first couple were not this well done.  

I've been happy with Jodie as the Doctor, as well. I would have liked to see her work with another showrunner but I understand not wanting to get stuck in a role and three years appears to be the Who standard. It's a shame her time got scrambled by outside events eating into the schedule.

Chibnall as the showrunner was okay. Like you say, though, it took a while for things to come together. 

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Fourteen:

https://gizmodo.com/doctor-who-14th-doctor-ncuti-gatwa-1848896896

Some articles have shots of him with a 'tache, which would be an interesting look. Turn-Doctor Turn, Turn-Doctor Turn, TURN-DOCTOOOORRRRR!!

Awesome news! I have not watched since Capaldi took over; now I'm back in interest and can't wait to give this 14th Doctor a shot!

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

I got no clue who this guy is to be number 14, and honestly, I just wish him all the luck cause it's an uphill battle to me. He's gonna get shat on just as much as Jodi was. I dunno if I even wanna bother watching anyways, I haven't since Capaldi left. 

• 5 months later...
Spoiler

Now we have context to The Curator's words to Eleven.

Also...

Spoiler

Tennant IS the 14th Doctor in First Teaser Trailer

"Talking about the future, Russell T Davies, Showrunner says: “If you thought the appearance of David Tennant was a shock, we’ve got plenty more surprises on the way! The path to Ncuti’s Fifteenth Doctor is laden with mystery, horror, robots, puppets, danger and fun! And how is it connected to the return of the wonderful Donna Noble? How, what, why? We’re giving you a year to speculate, and then all hell lets loose!”

David Tennet is 14. Ncuti Gatwa is 15. And the question we get to speculate about for an entire year is "Why did I choose...this face?"

Seeing Jodie Whittaker take her final bow as the Doctor did tug at my heart strings. I've enjoyed her style. This was a fun regeneration episode and it felt like the series ended on a high note. All the surprises they managed to fit in---fantastic. ^_^ 

Having to wait another year for the 60th anniversary specials...oof!

Edit: It looks like BBC America lost the streaming rights to nuWho. The show’s new international streaming home is Disney+.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/10/doctor-who-disney-plus-1234775786/amp/

Edited by technoblue

• 8 months later...

The Beeb have released a taste of Ncuti Gatwa’s Doctor. I like the look they’re going for with the timelord’s 15th regeneration. Click the spoiler to view.

Spoiler

IMG_8226.jpeg.fea4bca33d6c6f6e3f3cfb69d259b357.jpeg

Also looking forward to David Tennant’s take on the 14th and how that will all play out in the specials, but I have no idea if I’ll be streaming it or waiting for the blu-ray. LoL! Time will tell, I guess.

6 hours ago, technoblue said:

The Beeb have released a taste of Ncuti Gatwa’s Doctor. I like the look they’re going for with the timelord’s 15th regeneration. Click the spoiler to view.

Reveal hidden contents

FYI, This is a story-based costume. They revealed their primary costumes back in December 2022.

Spoiler

https://twitter.cohttps://twitter.com/bbcd

octorwho/status/1604182155143282689?s=20m/bbcdoctorwho/status/1604182155143282689?s=20

They'll be traveling to the Sixties (rockin' the afro 🤙) and the 18th century.

Spoiler

doctor-who-costumes-ncuti-gatwa-millie-g

5 hours ago, azrael said:

FYI, This is a story-based costume. They revealed their primary costumes back in December 2022.

Reveal hidden contents

https://twitter.cohttps://twitter.com/bbcd

octorwho/status/1604182155143282689?s=20m/bbcdoctorwho/status/1604182155143282689?s=20

They'll be traveling to the Sixties (rockin' the afro 🤙) and the 18th century.

Reveal hidden contents

doctor-who-costumes-ncuti-gatwa-millie-g

Sweet. I hope RTD makes it more of a thing this time out, diving into the wardrobe and outfitting the Doctor and the companions in different costumes.

Edited by technoblue
clarification

4 hours ago, azrael said:

So far it appears they have different costumes for each episode, which works fine for me since this particular doc seems to have some fine fashion sense.

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

So far it appears they have different costumes for each episode, which works fine for me since this particular doc seems to have some fine fashion sense.

Cool. This could be a fun thing that helps Gatwa’s Doctor stand apart, or one of many things…

The second Peter Davison season, aka Classic Who season 20, has been announced for blu-ray in limited release packaging. It’s been fun to see them spin these announcements into their own mini-episodes.

I hope the link worked. The Mara freaked me out when I first saw Kinda and Snakedance as a kid. Even now, it can stand the hairs up on the back of my neck.

Edited by technoblue

I saw some of either "Kinda" or "Snakedance" on broadcast, which just goes to show how much of a withered ancient I am becoming. 😃I don't remember very much about them (the Fifth Doctor series that I recall the most is "Earthshock", see below for why... [1]) other than the snake, the mechanical... explorer thing and some "dream" sequences.

[1] Leaving aside the ending, this is a serial where agents of the Cybermen melt humans into tiny bubbling pools of goo. In a cave. Now imagine that you've watched that, and then go on a school trip to a series of caves, which proudly advertise their association with "Doctor Who" and Cybermen... [2] 

[2] The Fourth, and "Revenge of the Cybermen", but this is what childhood nightmares are made of...