Yeah enough retro for us old farts and enough new for the kiddies too.

Finally a sci-if show that uses the time dilation of a black hole correctly.

3 Timelords for the price of one.

Did anyone else get a heavy Zathras from B5 vibe from Mr. Razor?

Aside from that whole actually being The Master thing, and turning Bill into one of the original Cybermen.

Agreed though, wow.

On 6/26/2017 at 0:01 PM, Mommar said:

I don't know, Zathras was really played as an imbecile.  Mr Razor was just odd but clearly not an idiot.

I thought of him more as someone who went a little crazy from some past trauma.  Likes parts of him were just missing.

Best episode of this season by far.  Last week's was pretty good as well, looking forward to the season finale tomorrow.

Michelle Gomez/Missy says goodbye:

Missy/Master...I hate paradoxes.Be interesting to see who plays The Master next.

I would have laughed if The Doctor let out a "Fantastic" when he stops the regeneration.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been widely reported that this is the first woman to play the Doctor, though - by a technicality - thats not strictly true, as British living national treasure Joanna Lumley appeared on screen as the Doctor in a rapid-fire regeneration sequence in the for-charity BBC TV skit "The Curse of Fatal Death" (written by some guy called Moffat, wonder whatever happened to him?).  In terms of series canon, though, that puts the first female Doctors status right up there with Peter Cushing or that time several Doctors met the cast of "EastEnders"... ^_^

I wish the new Doctor every success in the role. Shes familiar to UK TV viewers as having had a major role in the hit crime drama "Broadchurch"; US fans might recognise her from the role she had in the film "Attack the Block" (where she appeared with some guy whos like a Storm Trooper or something?).

:lol: I guess that's one spoiler I wasn't going to avoid.

On a side note Jodie Whittaker bears a striking resemblance to Elizabeth Debicki of the Kettering Incident, or maybe it's just my poor eyesight.

Coincidentally Debicki plays a doctor in that show, and I was just thinking how it would be nice to have a Doctor like her on Doctor Who.

Of all the names being thrown around, they should have looked at the actors who Chibnall has worked with. One thing I will miss with Capaldi is the monologues. Good luck to Ms. Whittaker. 

Well they finally went and did it.  I'm not a fan of the idea at all, too much like checking off the boxes of inclusion for me.  A Romana show would have been most welcome however, or even the good Doctor being lost for an entire run with Romana being the star for however long the lead wanted to do it (while still calling it Doctor Who) would have been better.

I'm not upset with the decision at all. Change between each Doctor is central to Who canon, and Missy was conceptualized so well as the Master too.

I'm confident the same will be said for this Doctor once all is said and done.

Before any of that, though, I still need to see Capaldi's final season. :o:p

I dunno.....I feel like this was just out there to get all the bitchy whiny hipsters to shut up so if it fails they can say they tried. Never thought of the doctor ever being a woman. Still don't. Chances are I'll be missing out a lot of the next few seasons. 

51 minutes ago, technoblue said:

I'm not upset with the decision at all. Change between each Doctor is central to Who canon, and Missy was conceptualized so well as the Master too.

I'm confident the same will be said for this Doctor once all is said and done.

Before any of that, though, I still need to see Capaldi's final season. :o:p

The Missy character had all the markings of a trial balloon, "Let's see how it goes making the Master female before trying it with the Doctor, to see how it goes and get more people acclimated to the idea".

Worst Doctor Ever?  I don't know, her incarnation may be the best ever, and I've seen Sylvester McCoy's and Colin Baker's and they would be hard to top for the worst spot - nothing against them as actors but the writing for their runs was atrocious.  

Kudos on them for doing it, I know it's been one of the big discussions regarding the show for a while now.

Unrelated question: Is Moffat still the showrunner, or did he skedaddle somewhere between the time Matt Smith showed up and now? (Haven't seen the show since mid-Matt Smith era. Lost interest, show got kind of boring IMO, largely thanks to Moffat's good but samey writing.)

9 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Kudos on them for doing it, I know it's been one of the big discussions regarding the show for a while now.

Unrelated question: Is Moffat still the showrunner, or did he skedaddle somewhere between the time Matt Smith showed up and now? (Haven't seen the show since mid-Matt Smith era. Lost interest, show got kind of boring IMO, largely thanks to Moffat's good but samey writing.)

Steven Moffat took over after Russel Davies, and finished his time as showrunner with Capaldi.

Chris Chibnal (known most recently for Broadchurch) is the new showrunner with the new Doctor. 

25 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

The Missy character had all the markings of a trial balloon, "Let's see how it goes making the Master female before trying it with the Doctor, to see how it goes and get more people acclimated to the idea".

Maybe. I always thought that the show was looking for ways to stretch itself creatively, while establishing more canon about the Time Lords as an alien race. Classic Who didn't go out of its way to describe the Time Lords very well. What we did get was more a product of limited budgets, strict ratings oversight, and (unfortunately) internal BBC politics.

I think Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy were the Classic Who Doctors that got the short end of that political stick. Colin Baker was hurt because he and the showrunner at the time didn't see eye to eye, from what I understand. McCoy was made kid-friendly at first, but then got some very dark well-written episodes. Unfortunately those came late, and his time was hampered because the BBC lost interest in the show completely.

Edited by technoblue

4 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Just to add to what @technoblue said, here's a quote from Moffat:
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a833253/steven-moffat-new-doctor-who-christmas-special/

"It's my show up to the point Mr Capaldi regenerates," he added.

"Then it passes to Chris, and he worries about the last section."

Saw this go out live, and thought who on earth is she a quick google showed that this had become the top thing on twitter in less than a minute and in the top ten google search inside 30 seconds. That's scary. 

A few mins later the world was on to new things, how fickle it is.

Hope this makes it rather than kills it.

I'm excited for this. I wasn't ready last time, when the idea of a female doctor was floating around after Matt Smith.

For one, I think that having Capaldi be much more reminiscent of the Classic Doctor was great, and satisfied that need. After 2 "dreamboat" Doctors, I worried about going straight to a female Doctor. My other concern, especially with Moffat at the helm, was that it would be too gimmicky, too many "Ooh, he's a girl now" jokes, and "Look how many new flirting opportunities we have to play with!!"

I haven't seen Broadchurch, but I've heard it's really good. Hopefully the new show runner can handle this in a cool way that make sense for this particular Doctor and the Doctor as a whole. As I'm not throughly steeped in the BBC tea, the actors that are cast as the Doctor have always been a blank slate for me. I've seen much fuss and rending of garments about each Doctor that has earned the part (except John Hurt, we all knew he'd be good). In each version, after the initial period, he's grown into the Doctor and it's felt right. I feel confident that she will as well.

Doctor Who Christmas Special 2017 trailer behind spoiler screen, not sure how caught up other territories are and  theres a fairly big spoiler for the end of the current series right away...

For the avoidance of doubt, the military uniformed character has been advertised as "The Captain", not any other military-associated Doctor Who character of beloved memory one might be familiar with. I would not bet against them being a predecessor though...!

Edited by F-ZeroOne
Added spoiler tags

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Shada is going to be released with animated sequences for the missing footage, and Tom Baker and Lalla Ward are doing the voices for the animated bits.  Always wanted to see this one!

The penultimate release! ^_^

I have the original live-action abridged version and the original animated version with Paul McGann and Lalla Ward. It will be fun to see Baker reprise the role and finish the scenes that were left incomplete due to the strike all those years ago.

I also hope this is good news for future animated releases. I'd love to see more animated lost in time episodes.

11 hours ago, Hikuro said:

not me, the animation is always crap.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. The reason I'm looking forward to more isn't so much the animation quality but the end result: having all the lost Hartnell and Troughton episodes in visual format. Kind of like how the VHS restorations worked, with the old static photos and linking narration. Anyway, until the BBC decides to spend more money on restoring lost Classic Who episodes, it is what it is.

Edited by technoblue
grammar