Possibly everyone is recovering from Christmas itself (the time of year, not the events surrounding the town... :) ).

Regards your question, consider that Moffat has a history of... toying with fans and has displayed some impatience with the subject, and extrapolate from that... :)

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Moffett has all but stated that that is case.

However given the evidence from Day and Time of the Doctor, it might just be one regeneration.

The real question is however, when in the Gallifrian time stream that occurs? Is it before the events of Day of the Doctor or after? What about End of Time?

The next series will have to deal with a lot of issues. Once the doctor finds timelocked Gallifrey, where ever it is. He will have to deal with the moral implications of releasing it.

Will it still be time locked into the final day of the time war?

Will he be able to just extract certain people?

Has it been moving forward through time as well? If so, have the Time Lords calmed down, or will he be forced to fight against them?

Will he become the Valyard, or have to face the Valyard? Is that the price for more regenerations, the creation of his darker self?

I was a bit underwhelmed by the story. A bit of a mish-mash. The Daleks and Cybermen both need to be set up as deadly enemies again in the series, cause at the moment they are both a bit of a joke. Moffett can do really well at times, but not all the time of course. As far as actual regeneration sequences go, I liked it. Much faster and less drawn out than normal.

This is a critical point for the series. Switching back to such an older Doctor might put off some of the younger fans. It needs to be handled well.

the christmas special was a utter joke. Matt Smith deserved better then that trash of an episode. Dalek takes over the woman,oh wait she is back to normal again dont worry about that. ffs. 'oh the crack is back,time lords trying to get back over' clara just has to say 'give him a hand hes a good bloke yeah' boom ,regens. wHat the utter horsef..eegg...ahh...grr...moffat needs to dial back on trying to make everything 'big' and 'epic',and stop writing stupid characters. Clara seriously needs to go.

Regen blowing up a dalek ship and shockwave...the hell...way to go.

I dont like how Clara seems to be doing everything. Moffat made her the one to tell the doctor which tardis to take from the very begining, Shes the one that made all 3 Doctors change their minds about destorying Gallifrey, Shes the one that Wiped the Daleks,Shes the one that got the timelords to give the doctor more regens...

enough with Clara wrecking every damn story. Shes the worst companion the doctor has ever had its like,what am I watching here? the Doctor? or some upstart know-it-all companion that keeps saving the day with a few waterworks. it has to stop. /rant

I dont like how Clara seems to be doing everything. Moffat made her the one to tell the doctor which tardis to take from the very begining, Shes the one that made all 3 Doctors change their minds about destorying Gallifrey, Shes the one that Wiped the Daleks,Shes the one that got the timelords to give the doctor more regens...

enough with Clara wrecking every damn story. Shes the worst companion the doctor has ever had its like,what am I watching here? the Doctor? or some upstart know-it-all companion that keeps saving the day with a few waterworks. it has to stop. /rant

WHOA, I have to disagree with you there; AMY IS THE WORST COMPANION THE DOCTOR EVER HAD! I friggin hated Amy..and she would not go away! Even after she got married..she.. would... not... go... away!! Because of her and her stupid husband Rory I've miss nearly all of Matt Smith's episodes. I didn't start back watching until Clara showed up. I LOVE CLARA OSWALD! :wub: As for the Time of the Doctor, Clara went through this extreme emotional makeover I wasn't expecting. When she first showed up she had this kind of "playing hard to get" attitude with the Doctor. Like she was saying: "You want me to be your companion? We'll you better impress me" which was cool because every other companion just ran behind him and this time he was running behind her! I never felt that Clara and the Doctor were THAT close and yet she turns on the waterworks in this last episode; I didn't get that at all! For me, Day of the Doctor was a better send off for Matt Smith. It wasn't as rushed, jumbled, and just plain confusing as Time of the Doctor was, and that last scene with him joining all the other doctors was an iconic moment; not to be forgotten! B))

Edited by aerocombatpilot

Did the forum software change recently? I can't copy or paste anything (or quote).

The Daleks found the Dr. Information from one of the people they dalekized.

I never understood the hate for Bonnie Langford's companion, she was one heck of a lot better then Tegan and Turlough THEY were the worst comapanions ever. (No reflection on the actors that play them, Tegan's actress is very funny to listen to when she does commentary on her time in DW).

As for Clara, no hating allowed for a lovely lady running around in a Plaid Miniskirt! The episode itself was not the best I agree.

Edited by Dynaman

They don't do a lot with Clara, she was pretty much conceived as The Doctor's own Deus Ex Machina for his entire lifespan (which is getting pretty exponential at this point.) Then again, after going through that rift and witnessing every aspect of him across all of his lifetimes it's not inconceivable she would suddenly be emotional. In Day of the Doctor she became emotional when she was witness to The Smith Doctor going along with blowing up Galifrey, which was totally against his character. So it would make sense she would get highly emotional when he was about to die because she's seen him across his entire lifespan.

If you want to argue "worst" companions, at least in the modern era, it's easily Donna. All bravado and ignorance/arrogance without an ounce of intelligence or ability. Her aging father was far more compelling a person... then again, so was Rory's.

Edited by Mommar

They don't do a lot with Clara, she was pretty much conceived as The Doctor's own Deus Ex Machina for his entire lifespan (which is getting pretty exponential at this point.) Then again, after going through that rift and witnessing every aspect of him across all of his lifetimes it's not inconceivable she would suddenly be emotional. In Day of the Doctor she became emotional when she was witness to The Smith Doctor going along with blowing up Galifrey, which was totally against his character. So it would make sense she would get highly emotional when he was about to die because she's seen him across his entire lifespan.

If you want to argue "worst" companions, at least in the modern era, it's easily Donna. All bravado and ignorance/arrogance without an ounce of intelligence or ability. Her aging father was far more compelling a person... then again, so was Rory's.

I agree, Donna was kinda worthless, yet I still hate Amy Pond! Sorry! As for Clara, I have to admit I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT OR WHO SHE IS SUPPOSED TO BE! I 've watched every episode she's in and I still can't figure her out! Well at least she's cute, not annoying, and looks good in a mini skirt! :wub:

I would have loved to see a short run of Doctor and Handles, A robot companion would actually be a nice change I think.

Speaking of worst companion, chameleon is up there, but I would be happy to see K9 back for a spell.

(edit) - They need to get the show to be more Doctor focused. The reboot has been more of an arch about the companions where the original was focused on the Doctor being the driver of the plot.

And last bit of rambling - I was VERY happy to be rid of Rose's family...

At least Quote works on this machine...

Edited by Dynaman

I feel that Coleman and Smith never had much chemistry so the Oswald character was a bit lacking when the Impossible girl mystery was solved. Hopefully Coleman and Capaldi will mesh better.

As for worst companions in the modern Who age, it's Martha Jones for me. No personality and so forgettable she could could be part of the silence.

I feel that Coleman and Smith never had much chemistry so the Oswald character was a bit lacking when the Impossible girl mystery was solved. Hopefully Coleman and Capaldi will mesh better.

As for worst companions in the modern Who age, it's Martha Jones for me. No personality and so forgettable she could could be part of the silence.

My reason for why Martha was a better companion then Amy or Donna. She had medical training and she was a looker. That puts her above Amy, who was useless except for being attractive, and Donna who wasn't even eye-candy and was irritatingly belligerent to boot. Really, at least Amy and The Doctor were tied to the fact they were both united a very early stages in each others lives. So there's that common bond, even if she was useless. Martha and Donna were just... there.

While I understand the hate on Donna, I actually liked her. She was what the doctor needed, especially after the longing puppy that was Martha Jones. The Doctor and Donna had an almost brother/sister relationship and her story arch came to a good conclusion at the end. Honestly, she could be used again after how they left her, in a way she could be part of the Gallifrey returns arc, if done correctly, but she would end up sacrificing herself in the process.

I know my wife would vote Rory for worst companion of the modern series, she never liked him. But, me I liked Rory, but only after the Roman story arc. However I will say that Amy and Rory both started to seriously bug me towards the end, particularly after the Battle of Demon's Run. While they were reunited with Melody/River in the next episode/series, there was never any fallout about loosing their daughter beyond that. Amy especially should have been constantly reminded of the loss every time they encountered a child in need. Instead the only mention of it is at the Dalek Asylum when she says that her inability to bear children was why she was divorcing Rory. I'm a parent, and if something happened to one of my kids like that, you better believe I would continue to go after the doctor to get them back, especially as a child. That is why I would vote her as the worst companion amongst other reasons.

I like and dislike all the companions for various reasons, but I think it is important to note why the modern Dr Who focuses so much on the companions and their relationships with the doctor. Female viewers. Many female viewers do not like the old series becuase the Doctor's relationships with his companions were so cold. Adding a sense of longing/romance to the characters draws in more female viewers. My wife and I have gone back and forth on this many times, and even she likes the relationship with Clara, because, while she loves the doctor, she is not in love with him, more like a good/best friend. Amy bugged us both because she just wanted to bang the doctor. River worked as his "wife" because she was the closest to a female timelord he'd encountered in this timeline. Donna, neither of us liked at first until we saw the more bro/sis relationship. Martha, we liked for her smarts, but disliked for her unrequited love. Mikey, he was a whiner, but he had his good points, and was probably the weakest companion. Capt Jack, was so awesome he got his own short lived series, and needs to come back in some form. And Rose, I never liked the love story with Rose, not a first, but it did grow on me and ended the only way it could.

My reason for why Martha was a better companion then Amy or Donna. She had medical training and she was a looker. That puts her above Amy, who was useless except for being attractive, and Donna who wasn't even eye-candy and was irritatingly belligerent to boot. Really, at least Amy and The Doctor were tied to the fact they were both united a very early stages in each others lives. So there's that common bond, even if she was useless. Martha and Donna were just... there.

From a plot point of view I can understand the criticism on the character Donna as she doesn't offer much in terms of ability for adventures. However for me Catherine Tate is easily the best and most experienced actress to have been cast in the role of a companion. This offered the show a far wider range of options for comedy and drama scenes, which lead to some of the most enjoyable episodes in the modern era.

Piper and Agyeman in particular are very limited, offering little more than a pretty face. Imo Piper was saved by Eclestone, whose Doctor was the most alien, which contrasted nicely with girl next door Rose. Aygeman couldn't deal with Tennant's emotional exuberance which made Marta look flat and uninteresting.

I'm guessing the name "Bonnie Langford" doesn't mean much on the other side of the Atlantic? :)

There was a line that specifically dealt with the Daleks regaining their memory but I can't - ironically - remember exactly what the explanation was.

F-ZeroOne...Ugh...You guessed wrong.

Of all the issues spanning Colin and Sylvester's transition, I think Langford made for a more frightening companion than some of the Doctor's foes. Mel's high-pitched squeals are best forgotten. What boggles my mind is that her character was supposed to be highly intelligent. Alas, I blame the writing and lack of direction.

It's a good thing McCoy got a bump when Solphie Aldred joined the cast.

I gotta agree with Bri & Knight26. Donna was a breath of fresh air after Rose & Martha mooning over the Doctor for nearly 4 years. I loved the banter between them. I didn't mind Amy & Rory too much, but they got a bit tiresome after a while.

Just got caught up last night - all-in-all, series 7 was kind of rough.

One of the things I think was missing was a little more meat to the Doctor/River relationship after their wedding. We got the short little "First Night/Last Night" webisode, but she just fell off the radar after Angels in Manahattan. I'm sure that her death was weighing on the Doctor, along with losing the other Ponds, during his 'dark times' living on a cloud above London - but it's never mentioned that that period of his life is over until "Name of the Doctor" I would've been nice is they did one more ep with the gift of her sonic and an allusion to their last night together within the actual show run.

Clara's ok, I guess. But her character's gimmick was never given much time to set up. It was very rushed, which took away from it's impact. It was also a meh concept - it takes away from the power of the Doctor to control/stagger through his own destiny. So what happens when the Doctor doesn't notice her? Does she change things in the background? Does she cause the convenient/coincident plot escapes?

The Xmas episode was a bit thin, I'd say. I liked some of it, thought the conclusion was a little lame. Seemed odd to negate the dramatic season 7 ender so quickly. However, it was neat that the Doctor grew to resemble his original self & take on mannerisms of the others. But why does the 11th (13th) age so much slower than the others? (referencing the 1st & War Doctors) Rough math indicates that 11 lived almost 1000 years, longer than the first 10 together. Is it because he's the last?

It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here.

Edited by Kelsain

Just for the record, I liked Donna, Rory and Martha. :) I do feel that Clara somehow just hasn't "gelled", which is really odd, as its clearly a good actress playing her and in theory (and as has actually happened in a few episodes, though possibly worringly most in "Asylum of the Daleks") seems to have been a great match for Matt Smith, but I dunno... there just seems to have been something missing.

technoblue - I did guess wrong, though I was really just trying to... well, to slightly misquote quote someone from another SF franchise, "It can't be that bad... " :)

My issue with the modern companions is that they seem to all be written to be the most significant person evarrr in the Doctor's life. Each gal has to top the previous one.

Whatever happened to just randomly running into the Doctor & being invited to tag along for a while? And not necessarily from modern London?

Martha does seem to be the exception in the recent crop - she did just that, then decided she was done. (& got a nice job with UNIT)

technoblue - I did guess wrong, though I was really just trying to... well, to slightly misquote quote someone from another SF franchise, "It can't be that bad... " :)

F-ZeroOne: No worries. You made a good point about the new series not being that bad. :) And even with Mel as a companion, I can still enjoy those cringeworthy classic episodes for other reasons.

I'm actually surprised that I have nothing critical to say about the new series companions. Even the secondary characters, like Rose's mother Jackie were well written. It took me a while to warm up to Rory, though. Mostly because the idea of having two companions fall in love was such a novel idea for Doctor Who.

Kelsain: That's a good point too. We do not have a new series companion like Tegan, who forcefully leaves the Doctor. I thought the first time Tegan left was really well done, and it it would be neat to get that type of a character again for the new series---someone who isn't always pining for the alien in the police box.

Edited by technoblue

technoblue: thanks! :)

taksraven: part of the 50th anniversary here was that we got a documentary about the series; one of the things that came up was Peter Davisons regenration scene, where he was trying to give what everyone described as "the performance of his life" but anyone watching would have been distracted by the camera viewpoint of Nicola Bryant leaning directly over him in a very low-cut top... :lol:

I would agree that Peri is one of, if not the, hottest companion ever, but Clara is definitely up there too. THing is with Peri they were really exploiting her looks, I think she is the only companion that they consistently had in revealing outfits and bikinis. I would count Teela, but her leather getup was actually pretty covering, and she wasn't stacked like Peri.

I would count Teela, but her leather getup was actually pretty covering, and she wasn't stacked like Peri.

filmation-teela-2.jpg

I will admit that Teela was pretty hot but I *can't* remember her being in Doctor Who.....

• 4 weeks later...