Why you should always snipe

What if he wanted two of them, or wanted two and hoped to save on shipping, or something???

If he wants two, he's welcome to them...

So this just shows that what I should have done is put in a $40 bid (or do nothing) and then snipe my max at the last minute. That way nobody could make an intermediate bid without definitely intending to buy the item.

That's what I usually do, but I got lazy.

The only reason I can see not to snipe is to meet a fair priced reserve so you can actually win the auction. I'm bidding on a laptop now, and if the reserve isn't met soon, I won't get it. It's way underpriced, so I'm guessing the reserve is going to be fair, I put my max bid at $1,000, but the next highest bid is like $160. I'm sure someone will snipe at the last minute, and get it, but whatever.

Greed and stupidity plain and simple. :ph34r: No reason at all to bid so early.

I don't snipe. I'm fairly pragmatic about the whole ebay thing. I'll bid what I wouldn't mind paying on a buinch of stuff and see what I win. Ocassionally I'll watch a particular item and rebid but often I forget. Missed something I really wanted last week at 1/3 price because I was drinking. :blink: . Dunno... never felt the need to snipe. Either I win it at my max bid or I don't. Somebody wants to spend more than me thats what capitalism and supply/demand is all about. I may only win 1% of the auctions I bid on but I get them at a price I'm happy with.

I never used to snipe, but ended up losing so many auctions to people who were sniping that I finally broke down and registered with one. For me, it's a matter of discipline.... I don't want to be sitting there in the final minute and bid something up to some absurd amount in the heat of the moment. I'd rather just set a snipe for my max bid and walk away. If I win.... great. If not, then at least I know I can still afford to put food in front of the kids.

fulcy's sig...

sniping is the "cry of whiners" when they lose because someone was willing to pay more. instead of taking nibbles throughout the auction, people should wait to take that one big bite in last few seconds of the auction if they want to win.

I never used to snipe, but ended up losing so many auctions to people who were sniping that I finally broke down and registered with one.

Sniping only works against cheap people. If you put in your maximum bid, there's no way sniping will get you.

I never used to snipe, but ended up losing so many auctions to people who were sniping that I finally broke down and registered with one.

Sniping only works against cheap people. If you put in your maximum bid, there's no way sniping will get you.

Not true. If the snipers maximum bid is higher then your maximum bid, sniping will get you. B))

Not true. If the snipers maximum bid is higher then your maximum bid, sniping will get you. B))

That's true and I snipe about 80% of the time.

When ever I place a non sniping bid and wait it out some idiot comes around and makes twenty small bids of a dollar a piece. They either take over the auction that way or leave before that happen but have you just few dollars at from your maxium bid with three days left on the auction.

If I'm looking at item that has a current bid of $10 and I have $100 to spend. I'd rather snipe at the last minute and win it for $50 than watch some $1 at a time bidder bring my bid to the max. If I win it for $100 with a snipe fine but I'm not gonna let some pussy bring up my bid any other way if I can help it.

That's true and I snipe about 80% of the time.

When ever I place a non sniping bid and wait it out some idiot comes around and makes twenty small bids of a dollar a piece. They either take over the auction that way or leave before that happen but have you just few dollars at from your maxium bid with three days left on the auction.

If I'm looking at item that has a current bid of $10 and I have $100 to spend. I'd rather snipe at the last minute and win it for $50 than watch some $1 at a time bidder bring my bid to the max. If I win it for $100 with a snipe fine but I'm not gonna let some pussy bring up my bid any other way if I can help it.

That's exactly how I operate and I almost always win the auctions I snipe...usually for much less than I anticipate. The only time I bid early is when there's an item that ends at an inconvenient time for me to watch the auction. I can put down a lot of money on an item that I really want, but I will usually put something like 15% to 25% percent above the average going rate. That means if someone bids me out, they can't say they got too great of a deal.

fulcy's sig...
sniping is the "cry of whiners" when they lose because someone was willing to pay more. instead of taking nibbles throughout the auction, people should wait to take that one big bite in last few seconds of the auction if they want to win.

Agreed.

I have Stated on these Boards. YOU snipe me your going to pay 3X the worth of the Kit. so good luck if you want to pay 300 for a kit thats worth 50.00

Does not make me an ass, this has kept many snipers off my back. But I only bid because I have the money. and willing to pay. I am all for someone wanting a model kit. I loose all the time. but to lose to a program. LOL Not going to happen with out a fight.

Sorry the way I feel

To Ewilen. Hey bud, just do your best to win the item. There will be more on EBay soon. I ahve been wating around for a few sellers on Ebay to post on 1/72 destroids. I have been buying them on Ebay. I have my sellers that Prob no one knows about on here. its amazing what you can find on ebay. Even if its not listed correctly. just keep looking if this does not win what you want.

Edited by Ranger565

Some times I dont bid until the very last minute for the simple reason that so many times before I have locked myself in with a bid and see the same item that I want listed a day or so later than the first one only in better condition and some one else gets it with a buy it now but I cant because Im already locked in and worry about having to pay for two.

Thanks, Ranger565.

Well, the dust has settled and I won the item. Now, Mr. sidearmsalpha, who generally seems like a decent chap based on his MW postings--all I can say is, if he really wanted a second Q-Rau at a net ~$75, why didn't he take the auction? Or else, why doesn't he just order from this BIN listing?

So again, I think what I'm going to have to do to keep from getting plinked by "probers", "bid nibblers", "freelance shills" (not to mention real shills) is to always put my bid in at the last minute. Not an outrageous bid as implied by Ranger565, merely exactly what I'm willing to pay for the item. And akabob provides a reminder of another good reason for doing so.