GameCube drops to $99.99

Jolly Rogers

Just wanted to let all the people who have broken PS2s or XBoxs... EB Games will buy back any of these broken systems for $50 in store credit. I know its not much... but hey, better than just a hunk of plastic...

Sales of Gamecube have always been slower than the PS2 and XBox, but it was never intended to compete head to head... if you look at the game libraries, the PS2 and XBox library is now looking very very similar (new release wise). The Gamecube has more unique games... this is both good and bad I guess.

The price drop is a good thing, no question.

Just wanted to let all the people who have broken PS2s or XBoxs... EB Games will buy back any of these broken systems for $50 in store credit. I know its not much... but hey, better than just a hunk of plastic...

Sales of Gamecube have always been slower than the PS2 and XBox, but it was never intended to compete head to head... if you look at the game libraries, the PS2 and XBox library is now looking very very similar (new release wise). The Gamecube has more unique games... this is both good and bad I guess.

The price drop is a good thing, no question.

Whether we bought them there or not?? If so, then I would buy a GC for sure. :rolleyes:

I don't see why there's any suprise; the system was technically selling for 100 retail anyway, you just had to pick from one of six games to get with it(150 system - 50 game = 100 system plus 50 bucks ;) ) And I don't see it doing bad - it's really getting some great support - no, not in quantity, but quality.

I think it's the X-Box that's in trouble if anything, I mean, the same site said a couple of weeks ago PS1 was outselling it in Japan. :o And you know where a bunk of the game influence is still held, right?

The simple fact is that Microsoft doesn't care.

They have billions of dollars and have no problem spending them on the box. This was a test run for their next gen system, and it was a damn good one. I'll buy the next if it has game support.

Then again, I buy them all so I may not be the best guage.

I have all of the systems and I like each one for it's differences but when I buy a game that's on multi systems I always buy the xbox version first because of quality.

On this game cube price drop I believe the same as posted above, the cube has been at $100 all summer with the game giveaway. Now instead of choosing one of six games your going to pick whatever one you want.

I think Nintendo is doing a bold move and trying to get a good jump on the competittion, though a price drop in games would be a better move then hardware.

For one... the Saturn was sold for about $100 more then the PSX. Second.... it did poorly in japan. Third.... back then Sega had no idea what they were doing anymore.

You are wrong the Saturn did very good in Japan besides it was No.2 over there and the N64 was No.3 . You are forgetting that Saturn has a lot of excellent games especailly in the 2D category like Capcom and SNK`s fighting games w/ the use of 4 MEG/RAM cart. Also don`t forget Treasuresoft (former Konami develovpers) had also top notch titles like Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun. Plus many RPG`s that never came out from Japan and many more ...........

PS: I know it`s been along time, Hi guy how are you all.

More bad news for the Big N and Cube owners:

Terminator 3 and Driver 3 for GC cancelled

Read the developer's comments about their decision to ditch the GC version.

I could care less about T3, but I was really looking forward to Driver 3. Bummer.

Funny they talk about needing to maximize quality in all aspects of the title and then ditch the Gamecube whiel sticking with the PS2. If I had a penny for every multi-system game that looked liek ass because it had to run on the PS2...

The first time I read their comments I thought they were implying that the GameCube's system could not deliver the kind of quality game they were making, but the SKU gave it away that they'd rather spend time on improving the quality of the PS2 and Xbox versions than to make a GC version since the GC's sales track hasn't been good enough to justify their time and resources.

PCs took over Macs. VHS beat out Betamax. Inferior goods have been known to beat higher quality competitors in the marketplace.

The first time I read their comments I thought they were implying that the GameCube's system could not deliver the kind of quality game they were making, but the SKU gave it away that they'd rather spend time on improving the quality of the PS2 and Xbox versions than to make a GC version since the GC's sales track hasn't been good enough to justify their time and resources.

PCs took over Macs. VHS beat out Betamax. Inferior goods have been known to beat higher quality competitors in the marketplace.

Yeah, I noticed the SKU comment, but it's just a general peeve of mine.

In general companies like EA and Acclaim port sub-par PS2 games to the Gamecube and then complain about poor sales. The Gamecube is the ultimate port-bitch, and then the companies complain when people don't buy games already released. Guess it never occurred to them that if they made original, quality, games... people might actually buy them.

i have a ps2, only own 2 games, gta:vc and ddrmax, gta got very boring very fast i hardly play, the only reason i dont trad eit in is because theres notihng else i want, and its basicly worthless tradein value, now ddr on the other hand is the reason i got ps2i used to play it at least an hour a day, up until my pad broke, and i dont have a job, so no money to get a new one, so my ps2 is unused until i can fix my mat or get a new one. gamecube, had it, pissed me off, returned it. i didnt find any good games on it besides smash bros, which is only fun with other ppl and most of my friends dont like the game except 2 or 3, not worth owning a system

For one... the Saturn was sold for about $100 more then the PSX. Second.... it did poorly in japan. Third.... back then Sega had no idea what they were doing anymore.

You are wrong the Saturn did very good in Japan besides it was No.2 over there and the N64 was No.3 . You are forgetting that Saturn has a lot of excellent games especailly in the 2D category like Capcom and SNK`s fighting games w/ the use of 4 MEG/RAM cart. Also don`t forget Treasuresoft (former Konami develovpers) had also top notch titles like Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun. Plus many RPG`s that never came out from Japan and many more ...........

PS: I know it`s been along time, Hi guy how are you all.

Sega was doing bad in Japan since the Genesis... thats what killed them. Saturn did terribly in Japan. Just because they had excellent games doesn't mean they were doing well. Look at the DC! It has better games then the PS2 had around the same time.... and yet it is dead now!

Now a days... good games don't make a successful console. Look at the GC. Its being beaten by 2 consoles that have a big difference in number of good and bad games.

Well... if Nintendo releases their new console using a STANDARD format, and if it is backward compatable with the Gamecube it will be a shoe in. People like backward compatability.

Gotta agree with that! Nintendo needs should make their next gen console backward-compatible; I'm sure that feature has helped sales of the PS2. Makes people think their getting more for their money, plus you have the convenience of a single console.

Having said that... I got a GameCube from Electronics Boutique back in July when they where running what I thought was a pretty sweet special: trade in up to 10 old N64 games at $5 apiece (Which was great, cause I unloaded alot of my crappier, worth-less-than-poo N64 games that were just sitting around gathering dust. Sh*t like Blast Corps wasn't worth 5 cents, let alone $5, so I was happy! ) and 150 bucks got ya the GC (one of the nifty Platinum ones, no less!) and it came with a memory card and 2 games - WaveRace (good memories of my ol' 64 dayze) and Zelda. A great deal, IMO & we've been happy with the system ever since. We've gotten a few more games for the system, and've been happy with 'em all.

Lately, tho, my old SNES has been getting the most use. Go figure. My g/f is addicted to Super Mario All Stars... and I still have a soft spot for Metal Warriors. :rolleyes:

The Saturn actually did great in Japan, it was the U.S. treatment of the Saturn, its abrupt death to shoe in the Dreamcast, and the international flop of the Dreamcast due to Sega dropping the ball one too many times (stopping support of the Sega CD, 32X, & Saturn was just too much).

You mean so long as it hasn't been opened and messed with inside. Something about a strip being removed which shouldn't. The Gamestop nearby checked for that and wouldn't take it. I talked to the EB store clerk and he inquired baout that as well. I have 3 PS2 consoles on my bedroom floor that my friends broke in one way or another. None can be sent to EB or Gamestop. I can repair two of them by replacing the lens but one is definately a goner.

PS2 is proof that there's strength in;

a. Being there first.

b. Having a shitload of titles. For better or worse.

I agree with B, but not A, cause remember Saturn and Dreamcast was the first respectively and we all know how that went. :lol:

As for the DC.... it was far better then the PS2, but most companies were caught up in the Sony hype machine to bother with the DC. The DC was also doing poorly in Japan.... which was what decided which console lived and which did not. And besides.... Sega was on their last legs during the DC, there was no way it would survive if its parent company had absolutly no money.

Saturn did poorly in Japan? It wasn't as successful as the Mega Drive but it was certainly a viable system in Japan and did much better there than it did here (of course, their early limited launch in the 'states screwed them up a bit as well). Capcom even favored the Saturn as it was a much better system for 2D type games.

PS2 is proof that there's strength in;

a. Being there first.

b. Having a shitload of titles. For better or worse.

I agree with B, but not A, cause remember Saturn and Dreamcast was the first respectively and we all know how that went. :lol:

As for the DC.... it was far better then the PS2, but most companies were caught up in the Sony hype machine to bother with the DC. The DC was also doing poorly in Japan.... which was what decided which console lived and which did not. And besides.... Sega was on their last legs during the DC, there was no way it would survive if its parent company had absolutly no money.

Saturn did poorly in Japan? It wasn't as successful as the Mega Drive but it was certainly a viable system in Japan and did much better there than it did here (of course, their early limited launch in the 'states screwed them up a bit as well). Capcom even favored the Saturn as it was a much better system for 2D type games.

The Mega Drive didn't do so hot in Japan. The reason why Sega went bankrupt was both bad decisions and poor sales.

As for a company favoring a sytem for certain games.... I call it experience. The Saturn was the perfect video game for 2d fighting games... while the PSX sucked at it. Is that even a tough decision? <_<

Even the N64 got a ton of good games.... did mean it was doing great? No. You can't base the success of a console soleny on games. Back then there were only 2 consoles.... the Saturn and the PSX. There wasn't much choice. If you look at them.... you can clearly see why some games were made for the Saturn and not the PSX. Being in second meant being in last in this case. The N64 wasn't even a video game worth mentioning.

Thanks guys (Keith & Gaijin) at least you know about the Saturn in Japan, unlike Abombz.

Yeah.... you can keep telling yourself that, if it boosts your self esteem. ;)

IF the Saturn was doing so hot.... why weren't Capcom (other then 2d fighters), Konami, Namco.... in short, bit companies, backing the Saturn as much as they were the PSX? Something is wrong in your reasoning... no?

Why did Sega see the need to jump the guns and release a new console if the Saturn was doing so hot? If the Saturn did so hot... how come Sega ran out of money all of a sudden? If their past console had been so successful... they would have had enough money to support their next one, which isn't the case.

And you are also going to tell me the Game Gear did so incredibly hot too... and Sega simply decided to kill it because they were too tired of its success. <_<

Or what you guys are saying is that Sega willing put themselves in a tough spot? Gee... thats makes them even smarter.

Edited by Abombz!!