Robotech and HG license debates

Or they may just be waiting for a script that is "just right". (Who are they? Could be anyone, but most likely the people bank-rolling the project, and are looking for a sure-fire hit.)

There could be other factors as well (scheduling, etc.), or the project might already be dead.

Most likely, it's in pre-preproduction. Keep in mind that design work on Macross F starts dating from the end of 2006. We didn't hear about it until mid to late 2007. Same could hold true for this project.

Has Robotech live action movie staled out or is it still in pre production. I cant find any thing on the internet after 2007 news release and, cannot find the web sight for McGuire production company.

Staff from HG have panels at various conventions this year about the franchise, so anyone who attends should get some information from the source. Bet there's a lot of people asking that question too at cons.

Or they may just be waiting for a script that is "just right". (Who are they? Could be anyone, but most likely the people bank-rolling the project, and are looking for a sure-fire hit.)

There could be other factors as well (scheduling, etc.), or the project might already be dead.

Most likely, it's in pre-preproduction. Keep in mind that design work on Macross F starts dating from the end of 2006. We didn't hear about it until mid to late 2007. Same could hold true for this project.

The Spiderman movie also idled for quite some time.

The Metroid game has been licensed for a movie three separate times at this point, if I recall. None of which have ever gone anywhere.

The Spiderman movie also idled for quite some time.

I remember hearing about it at least 10 to 15 years prior to the release. Something about James Cameron and Carloc (spelling?) pictures being involved, if memory serves.

But yeah, good point.

With Shadow Rising probably in the same situation, or worse, what's Robotech going to do until things are ready for both projects? They can't just release toys and do convention panels forever as fans start to lose interest, can they?

With Shadow Rising probably in the same situation, or worse, what's Robotech going to do until things are ready for both projects? They can't just release toys and do convention panels forever as fans start to lose interest, can they?

Of course they can!

Taksraven

Considering they sat on Robotech without doing anything with it for the 15-20 years before Shadow Chronicles, yeah they can.

That said, has the gap between Macross projects hurt the fanbase?

So much for the big Robotech comeback people thought Shadow Chronicles was going to bring. At least with Macross projects they more or less finish the story, or are at least more committed to their work to see it on to the end. Meanwhile, here we have an unresolved cliffhanger tacked onto a previous unresolved cliffhanger, on the animation side at least, which is unlikely to be finished in the next few years.

So much for the big Robotech comeback people thought Shadow Chronicles was going to bring. At least with Macross projects they more or less finish the story, or are at least more committed to their work to see it on to the end. Meanwhile, here we have an unresolved cliffhanger tacked onto a previous unresolved cliffhanger, on the animation side at least, which is unlikely to be finished in the next few years.

Haven't seen any comic activity, through Wildstorm or otherwise, in a couple years now either.

Yup - lack of funding is a real pain in the arse

Haven't seen any comic activity, through Wildstorm or otherwise, in a couple years now either.

Speaking of comics, did Tommy Yune ever go back to working in the comic book industry or is he focusing more on Robotech? Since Shadow Chronicles, he could have worked on some other stuff to refine his technique, expand his portfolio, or something.

Speaking of comics, did Tommy Yune ever go back to working in the comic book industry or is he focusing more on Robotech? Since Shadow Chronicles, he could have worked on some other stuff to refine his technique, expand his portfolio, or something.

Don't you remember? He DIRECTED Shadow Chronicles...

LOL

Course I remember, it's just sad to see a guy with an art/comic book background using it mostly for toy box artwork since then. Feels like wasted potential.

The flipside being, a guy with an art/comic book background thinking he can write and direct.

Considering they sat on Robotech without doing anything with it for the 15-20 years before Shadow Chronicles, yeah they can.

That said, has the gap between Macross projects hurt the fanbase?

I think the Robotech fans can wait it out, too. And, bizarre as it seems to me, new fans are coming in all the time...not in droves, but there are new Robotech fans.

As for the wait time...it's a double-edged sword. A long wait time can energize the fan base while they wait, but it also increases expectations. A two- to three-year lag between Macross series, though, seems like a relatively small waiting time.

Course I remember, it's just sad to see a guy with an art/comic book background using it mostly for toy box artwork since then. Feels like wasted potential.

Funny, I feel the same way about Masamune Shirow, although I like Shirow a helluva lot better.

Frank Miller didn't direct any of these actually (IIRC)

But whatever, the main problem here concerns the comparison between Yune and Miller IMO: the latter is greatly talented, whereas the former is simply competent...

Have you seen Sin City and 300?

I REFUSE to sin Sin City because I did see 300. Hard to choose which is worse, that or that Beowolf disaster.

(I can't tell if you like his movies or not, no offense meant, but if 300 the movie is any indication of 300 the comic, then comics are not for me)

But whatever, the main problem here concerns the comparison between Yune and Miller IMO: the latter is greatly talented, whereas the former is simply competent...

both should stay away from TV and movies. I didnt understand the initial Frank Miller retort at all... if it was to be for or against the argument...

No, they were just based on his comics.

He DID, however, direct The Spirit (which I haven't seen yet but, good or bad, I know was a major labor of love for him).

I hope Tommy doesn't regret his career change after all these years. I guess I'm saying he could have been more productive, or at least have something to do, with his free time while waiting for Robotech things to develop. Unless he knows something fans don't or he's just a sell out.

I guess I'm saying he could have been more productive, or at least have something to do, with his free time while waiting for Robotech things to develop.

Of all the true potential wasted ... HG should just remarketed RTSC as MOSPEADA OAV in Japan with Tatsunoko just to gauge any interest of possible Mospeada revival.

If Mospeada cousin, the cult classic BGC OAVs were successful enough to warrant a 20+ eps BGC 2040 revival, with enough budget, MOSPEADA II series (26 eps - standard run of the mill anime these days) is plausible.

Tatsunoko & HG produced that thing, DR Movie in Korea do all the works, let 'em release the series in Japan & Asian market & runs its course, HG simply butch ... uhhh ... reedited the MOSPEADA II series into brand new RT series ....

Tommy wasted much time & energy .... now its 2009, Macross Frontier finished its outstanding debut, & a movie is coming out. As for RT .... achhh, I'm not rooting that much ....

Shadow Chronicles would have had to be very different to work as Mospeada 2 but I agree... it would have been an ironic win/win situation.

Not that different, seeing as how any non-MOSPEADA Robotech characters were changed so that they no longer really looked like their Macross or Southern Cross counterparts. If you didn't know any better, never heard of Robotech, and watched the animation (forget the dialog) you could legitimately think this was MOSPEADA 2.

The only thing that would have to be different would be that, you know, it would have to no suck.

There's too much stuff in Shadow Chronicles that wouldn't work in the context of MOSPEADA, like warping out of the the Solar System to save some character that has no history.

I suppose, though I'm sure you could find a way to write it in.

Rick Hunter could have been changed to Admiral Generic something who ordered the attack on earth but got double crossed. As to why he would be important, just use a lot of exposition since he hasn't done anything previously in the series. Robotech is already familiar with exposition so they can BS their way out of it.

MOSPEADA doesn't make any mention of space travel outside of Mars and Jupiter. The ships aren't shown to have fold systems or anything like that. If they did, there would be no maps showing the slow route the ships took from the colonies to Earth.

So how do you explain how some human-crewed ship ended up on the edge of a black hole, and how the heroes are able to rescue him? The more writing you try and slather on to explain it, the closer you are to doing a reverse Robotech.

I'm not saying that it would work, but knowing HG if given the chance a HG backed MOSPEADA II would try it anyway. A sequel made by the original staff of Mospeada or other interested people on the other hand, probably want to ignore Shadow Chronicles. I wouldn't blame them.

Edited by Einherjar

I'm not saying that it would work, but knowing HG if given the chance a HG backed MOSPEADA II would try it anyway. A sequel made by the original staff of Mospeada or other interested people on the other hand, probably want to ignore Shadow Chronicles. I wouldn't blame them.
Well, one of those things got made and one of those didn't. That should say something.