Robotech and HG license debates

The "thinking cap" probably stands out as a unique poor man's excuse regarding the concept, but very original. It's something only Macek magic can make possible even if your show blatantly contradicts it. You can control a mecha with only a helmet, unless you're Rick, Lisa, or anyone who flies well without one. They're just badass.

Sorry to nitpick, but it really bugs me when people talk about the show blatantly contradicting it like that. To me, and I know this is a minor detail, MACROSS blatantly contradicts it. However, ROBOTECH being its own entity, I prefer to think of it as ROBOTECH being whatever Macek intended it to be (in this case, including the thinking caps), but the animation just not allowing to present it.

I know, this seems like a silly little detail, but that's just how I personally prefer to look at it.

Wasn't Firefox made after Robotech was released, thereby disqualifying it?

If one wants the ultimate "thinking cap", then "Neuromancer" (the book) is the way to go. Wait, didn't that book introduce the concept of cyberspace, the ultimate "thinking cap"?

Gibson (the author of numerous books, like Neuromancer and Mona Lisa Overdrive, as opposed to Gibson, the author of a number of disappointing Robotech comics) introduced a lot of new concepts which are now considered commonplace.

Firefox was '82 and Robotech was '85. (Yes, I had researched that before my original post)

Taksraven

The 'thinking cap' device is actually far older than this in SF: you can find some in many short stories published in the pulp magazines from the 40s...

I remember liking the 'thinking cap" when I first read the novels. Still do to be honest. The concept behind is pretty interesting but like said it's an old concept but I would say it's unique to Robotech at least at the time.

If one wants the ultimate "thinking cap", then "Neuromancer" (the book) is the way to go. Wait, didn't that book introduce the concept of cyberspace, the ultimate "thinking cap"?

Where did Neuromancer have anything resembling a thinking cap? The cyberspace interface in Neuromancer had goggles (like VR) but was still controlled via keyboard.

I read it again a few years ago, and I understood the same thing I had read 10 years before: it was some sort of neural link; I don't remember anything about goggles and keyboard, at least while surfing into the cyberpsace

Ok all the members of the Macrossworld forums must swear to this. If any one of us manage to live long enough to see Time travel techonology. It will be your sworn duty to use it to go back in time and prevent HG from getting the rights to macross. This may mean that Macross would have to wait till the 90s to get US distro but its worth it.

What if someone else with more competence came around, created Robotech, and made the situation even worse?

What if could get some one to convience Carl Macek to keep Macross uncut the way it should be, and market it as part of a space robot block. there by destroying the Robotech franchise, and possibly making it eaiser for us to get new macross releases. Aww who am I kidding. I'd just kill him, and the Yunes.... The Time Cop movie is starting to make sense to me now, after all these years. :ph34r:

Ok all the members of the Macrossworld forums must swear to this. If any one of us manage to live long enough to see Time travel techonology. It will be your sworn duty to use it to go back in time and prevent HG from getting the rights to macross. This may mean that Macross would have to wait till the 90s to get US distro but its worth it.

I'm in. :D

If Harmony Gold hadn't gotten the rights to Macross, I don't think I ever would've been introduced to mature anime, at least not at an appropriately impressionable age.

Despite people's dislike of Harmony Gold (and I am definitely one of them), a lot of us owe a good bit of thanks to Carl Macek, I think.

How about you go back in time and renegotiate the terms of the purchase to the rights of Macross, so that they would've reverted away from Harmony Gold as soon as Robotech stopped being on regular televised rotation in the USA?

You all know that if I get time travel I'm going to go back in time and make myself filthy stinking rich, right?

And then I will buy Macross rights. TV series and movie and sequels. I'll negotiate a clear franchise mandate for myself, and get it in writing. Verbal contracts are for wusses.

They may wonder why I'm being so nitpicky and lawyer-ese about a children's show, but.... we'll see who's laughing 20 years later!

Edited by JB0

You know - these kind of ideas never have happy endings...

Besides - I imagine that HG would just send its' executives back in time about two years PRIOR to the release of Kawamori Macross and RELEASE ROBOTECH FIRST.

Then - there would be NO MACROSS. There would ONLY be Robotech.

And none of us would exist.

:o

Pete

Besides - I imagine that HG would just send its' executives back in time about two years PRIOR to the release of Kawamori Macross and RELEASE ROBOTECH FIRST.

Pete

That would be a sad day, sad sad day indeed...

HG and the likes of them are pure evil. Sure they took Macross to the U.S. but turned it into Robotech... i understand why they did it but i hate it when they mess with a show that way. And now, just because those greedy SOBs want to make butloads of money off someone elses creation they've been keeping the distribution rights tied up. Result: No Macross shows get to the U.S. I'm surprised Macross Plus got distributed, but after that... and now they want to stop fans from getting stuff overseas? Come on, HG, all you did was grab someone elses show, splice it together with 2 others, the real creators have the right to get their show anywhere without SOBs like you blocking them.

If i was Mr. Kawamori, i would fight you to the end.

Leave Macross alone and let the fans enjoy their stuff.

Pete

DONT GIVE THEM ANY FRICKEN IDEA'S! :angry:

Pete

what if in the future when we have time travel HG Sent Agents (who were really unkillable cyborgs) back in time even further then that so that they could kill Shōji Kawamori's parents so that SK is never born and can never create Macross so that there will be only Robotech, thus giving them the power to rule the world and distroy humanity! :o

Actually, I think it would benefit humanity it HG took all of its' resources and pumped them into my cockamammy scheme :)

Pete

maybe we're looking at this all wrong. Maybe Robotech DID come first. originally HG and Carl Macek came up with the idea for Robotech but then the Japanese used there advance technology to steal there ideas and then travel back in time so that they can release Macross and Mospeada to screw mecek and HG over and make tones of money off there hard work.

and all of us have no idea that's how it is because SK and studio Nue went back in time and changed the past.

maybe we're looking at this all wrong. Maybe Robotech DID come first. originally HG and Carl Macek came up with the idea for Robotech but then the Japanese used there advance technology to steal there ideas and then travel back in time so that they can release Macross and Mospeada to screw mecek and HG over and make tones of money off there hard work.

and all of us have no idea that's how it is because SK and studio Nue went back in time and changed the past.

Sounds like the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy suing Encyclopedia Galactica for copyright infringement. (if anybody here knows *that* joke). ;) ;)

Taksraven

You know when HG and Robotech have a panel at an anime/comic/etc. convention, has anyone attended them in the past? If I ever go to a convention, is it something interesting to visit? I really want to know what goes on during those panels, especially what they talk about when the only things coming up are Shadow Rising and the live action movie. From what I've gathered so far from convention reports, it sounds like they are PR moves reassuring everyone about the franchise without revealing anything new.

Edited by Einherjar

You know when HG and Robotech have a panel at an anime/comic/etc. convention, has anyone attended them in the past? If I ever go to a convention, is it something interesting to visit? I really want to know what goes on during those panels, especially what they talk about when the only things coming up are Shadow Rising and the live action movie. From what I've gathered so far from convention reports, it sounds like they are PR moves reassuring everyone about the franchise without revealing anything new.

I went to the one at Anime Expo in 2004, when they had promised they had some big news to reveal, possibly involving DYRL.

The whole thing was centered around the Invasion game until the very end, when someone asked about DYRL, and they said they "found out" they had the merchandising rights to the movie and would be making the superposables.

Certainly not the lamest hour I've ever spent in my life, but it's up there.

I went to the one at Anime Expo in 2004, when they had promised they had some big news to reveal, possibly involving DYRL.

The whole thing was centered around the Invasion game until the very end, when someone asked about DYRL, and they said they "found out" they had the merchandising rights to the movie and would be making the superposables.

They had merchandising rights to DYRL but not rights to the actual movie? I am surprised they never tried to bring the movie over then they could release two versions, a robotech version and a authentic version of DYRL. HG would be the only ones able to bring the movie over due to trademark of the Macross name right?

Sounds kind of embarrassing for everyone. I get the impression that being a fan and going to a panel means hoping to get anything besides blanket statements and bull. And since that happened in 2004, can I assume that this has been happening for years now?

So - pat yourselves on the back Macrossworld?

This thread was re-opened due to BBTS apparently announcing it won't be selling Macross items produced by Yamato anymore due to HG twisting their arm, or offering them some sweet deal or something...

Well....

They've had preorders up for 1/48 VF armor for a while...

But now I note that they are in fact selling the new v.2 1/60. They've got a Hikaru 1A and they have seperate 1/60 v.2 armor.

Granted - this isn't a huge sellection - but it's there nonetheless.

What gives?

Pete