Starwars EP. 4, 5 and 6

Toonz

How much of that is Lucas through and through, and how much of that are the other people doing the real work behind the films?

You mean like The Empire Strikes Back? :lol:

Again, a (very) partial list of blockbusters and/or critically well-regarded films.

The sad thing about Ford is that for every Fugitive there's a Sabrina and a Six Days, Seven Nights.

What's wrong with Sabrina? Not enough things blowing up and/or gunplay?

H

What's wrong with Sabrina?  Not enough things blowing up and/or gunplay?

H

How about the fact that it was a weak-ass remake, and not a very good movie? Or should there have been a sarcastic smiley at the end of your post?

What actor doesn't put out an occasional dud? At least the guy got tired of doing the same action hero character and every once in a while took some chances. . .

I just find it funny that, where others reflexively bash Lucas, you reflexively defend him. . . even going so far as to redirect the bashing towards an actor: Harrison Ford.

I'm actually not much of a Harrison Ford fan. Ever since I saw Regarding Henry, I see that confused/dumb look in his eye no matter what role he plays.

But I don't see any reason to tear him down or claim that he's nothing without Spielberg/Lucas. Which is just clearly not the case. Feel free to bash his flops. Doesn't change the fact the he has a long list of hits.

H

P.S. Julia Ormond = Good Movie.

Late Edits

Edited by Hurin

How much of that is Lucas through and through, and how much of that are the other people doing the real work behind the films?

You mean like The Empire Strikes Back? :lol:

:p Kinda.

But Lucas had a lot of involvement with Empire. Yes, Empire was better for having Kersher doing the direction, but Lucas still worked on the screenplay, as a regular producer, and is credited for the original story... on top of being the executive producer.

For all I know, Lucas' attachment to Tucker could be as superficial as Tarantino's name on Hero. Fred Roos and Fred Fuchs were the producers and Arnold Schulman and David Seidler wrote the screenplay. And like I said before, I give a lot of credit for what I liked in that movie to Francis Ford Coppola for directing.

I just find it funny that, where others reflexively bash Lucas, you reflexively defend him. . . even going so far as to redirect the bashing towards an actor: Harrison Ford.

Nonsense. I thought we were having a civil discussion here, but if you want to start throwing around terms like "basher" again, we can go down that road. As to my "defence" of Lucas, I merely pointed out that copy& pasting a partial list of his work is hardly a fair method of analyzing his or anybody's filmography. Well, at least not beyond a knee-jerk "Zomg!! Luca$ did 'Land Before Time?!!'" anyway. And IIRC, I wasn't the one who brought Ford into this in the first place. Once you guys brought him into this, I'd say he's fair game.

second post...

just a thought, has it ever occured to anyone else that the only good things ever to come from lucas had harrison ford in them?

has it occured to you that SW and indiana jones is like the only thing hes put out. ;) unless he did some B fims i missed, i love B movies. :p

3 Star Wars Films (w/out Ford)

Howard the Duck

Willow

Young Indianda Jones Chronicles

Tucker: The Man and His Dream

RadioLand Murders

Labyrinth

The Land Before Time

And that's only a partial list. . .

willow wasn't lucas was it? thought it was ron howard. also american grafitii was really good, ford was the bad guy (ironicly drove a chevy)

For all I know, Lucas' attachment to Tucker could be as superficial as Tarantino's name on Hero. Fred Roos and Fred Fuchs were the producers and Arnold Schulman and David Seidler wrote the screenplay. And like I said before, I give a lot of credit for what I liked in that movie to Francis Ford Coppola for directing.

Don't drag this thread down with facts, Mike. If Lucas' name is attached to a movie, no matter how tangentially, then its ripe for "Lucas sucks" discussions. I wonder how many people here have a clue why his name is on "Return to Oz?"

Nonsense. I thought we were having a civil discussion here, but if you want to start throwing around terms like "basher" again, we can go down that road.

Once again, I can't help it if you yet again choose to become oddly offended at a harmless choice of words.

As to my "defence" of Lucas, I merely pointed out that copy& pasting a partial list of his work is hardly a fair method of analyzing his or anybody's filmography.

Well, feel free to post one of his movies that isn't in that list that you think is wonderful. But, again, I was merely pointing out that haterist was mistaken in asserting that Lucas hasn't done anything. I didn't criticize each one. I merely gave a list of what he's done other than SW and Indy.

And IIRC, I wasn't the one who brought Ford into this in the first place. Once you guys brought him into this, I'd say he's fair game.

Yes, but I'm still not sure I see the relevance in asserting that Ford is nothing without Lucas in that there is nothing mutually exclusive between that and saying that Lucas is nothing without Ford.

Don't drag this thread down with facts, Mike. If Lucas' name is attached to a movie, no matter how tangentially, then its ripe for "Lucas sucks" discussions. I wonder how many people here have a clue why his name is on "Return to Oz?"

:rolleyes:

If someone suggests that Lucas hasn't done anything decent since Empire and Raiders, it makes sense to look at what he has indeed done. Pointing out that he wasn't as involved in those later projects doesn't do anything to address the charge that he hasn't put out anything decent. You're essentially just arguing that Lucas has been lazy, not that he's done anything good or up to his earlier standards.

Why not provide a Lucas-related film in the last two decades that you can proudly point to as great?

Once again, I can't help it if you yet again choose to become oddly offended at a harmless choice of words.

Oy, you just don't get it. Reread your own gosh-darn post above mine. YOU were the one who used the term "bash" (and at least you're being somewhat honest as to the point of your continued debating this point) and painted me as some "reflexive" defender of all things Lucas. Nobody is flipping offended, but I'll admit that I am getting impatient with your pedantic need to analyse. Every. Word.

Well, feel free to post one of his movies that isn't in that list that you think is wonderful.  But, again, I was merely pointing out that haterist was mistaken in asserting that Lucas hasn't done anything.  I didn't criticize each one.  I merely gave a list of what he's done other than SW and Indy.

Fair enough. And all I did was mention that the list doesn't really show the level of his involvement in said films. However I have to note that you chose your list curiously, leaving out such films as American Graffitti and his uncredited editing on Jurassic Park. Not that I'd accuse you of impartiality. :rolleyes: But again, I'm sure you feel the need to further debate this.

Yes, but I'm still not sure I see the relevance in asserting that Ford is nothing without Lucas in that there is nothing mutually exclusive between that and saying that Lucas is nothing without Ford.

Once again, I never suggested that was the case. My sole purpose was to point out that if he and his performances were somehow the only reason for Lucas' "good" films, he has turned in an equal number of sub-par to dismal films, that may or may not have sucked in part due to his performance.

If someone suggests that Lucas hasn't done anything decent since Empire and Raiders, it makes sense to look at what he has indeed done.  Pointing out that he wasn't as involved in those later projects doesn't do anything to address the charge that he hasn't put out anything decent.  You're essentially just arguing that Lucas has been lazy, not that he's done anything good or up to his earlier standards.

No, you're absolutely right. Lucas executive producing "Land Before Time" is undeniable proof that he's t3h suxorz. :rolleyes: The fact of the matter is that he was essentially semi-retired from film since '83. His only projects were mainly to assist some of his filmmaking buddies, such as Spielberg, Howard and Willard Hyuck. And just what does that prove? Not a heck of a lot either way, I'd say.

Why not provide a Lucas-related film in the last two decades that you can proudly point to as great?

Again, where are you getting this from? Or rather, where the hell are you even trying to go with this? I've yet to even attempt to defend films like Radioland Murders, yet here you are again trying to turn this into some one-sided debate. That said, I do remember enjoying Last Crusade. Jurassic Park was kinda fun too. :p

Edit: If you really want to debate the relative merit of each and ever one of Lucas's films, why the hell not split it off into a new topic?

Edited by bsu legato

when i was referring to GL, i was referring to movies(not TV shows) he wrote and directed himself which i thought consisted of the SW saga and indiana jones movies....that were good any way. sorry i even brought it up, you guys really need to calm down.

Oy, you just don't get it. Reread your own gosh-darn post above mine. YOU were the one who used the term "bash"

Uh, yeah! And I was pointing out that you seem to be offended by it. I'm not confused by who said it (obviously), I'm confused at your reaction to it. Especially because I'm now noticing what might be the beginning of a pattern where you seem to become very excited over the use of rather innocuous words.

Nobody is flipping offended, but I'll admit that I am getting impatient with your pedantic need to analyse. Every. Word.

:) Irony.

However I have to note that you chose your list curiously, leaving out such films as American Graffitti. . .

We're talking about movies since Star Wars and Indiana Jones. At least, I was. I thought that was implied.

. . .and his uncredited editing on Jurassic Park

Didn't know about it. Apparently, I'm not as intimately aware of everything he has done. ;)

But again, I'm sure you feel the need to further debate this.

Oh goodie. This again. :rolleyes:

Once again, I never suggested that was the case. My sole purpose was to point out that if he and his performances were somehow the only reason for Lucas' "good" films, he has turned in an equal number of sub-par to dismal films, that may or may not have sucked in part due to his performance.

Fair enough.

america kills great ideas.

:huh:

what i meant is that we like to take perfectly good movies or shows and add sequels, make remakes, or merchandise the hell out of it, i once loved dbz, and now i cant stand it, and i hate to think of whats going to happen to my precious naruto once it starts. and lets not forget the neverending story 2 and 3, an american tale 2 and 3, secret of nimh 2, land before time 2- whatever it is now, like 33 or something? thats what i meant. i hate looking at video stores and seeing stuff like that. i even heard that there is talks of a sixteen candles sequel. that movie is great, and like almost 20 yrs old, do we need a sequel, what will it be called 32 candles?

Oh goodie. This again. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that again. Look man, the fact that you continue to use the patented internet geek "Break-each-post-down-into-single-lines" technique speaks volumes about your desire to debate this and everything else. But l like I said in my edited post above, if you really want to look at all of his works, why not make it a seperate topic? I'd suggest something catchy like "What has Lucas done with his life?" but that little gem is, sadly, already been used. Might I suggest "Lucas: Sucking since Gary Kurtz left?"

If someone suggests that Lucas hasn't done anything decent since Empire and Raiders, it makes sense to look at what he has indeed done.  Pointing out that he wasn't as involved in those later projects doesn't do anything to address the charge that he hasn't put out anything decent.  You're essentially just arguing that Lucas has been lazy, not that he's done anything good or up to his earlier standards.

No, you're absolutely right. Lucas executive producing "Land Before Time" is undeniable proof that he's t3h suxorz. :rolleyes: The fact of the matter is that he was essentially semi-retired from film since '83. His only projects were mainly to assist some of his filmmaking buddies, such as Spielberg, Howard and Willard Hyuck. And just what does that prove? Not a heck of a lot either way, I'd say.

Oh goodie. We agree then. Can we stop now?

yet here you are again trying to turn this into some one-sided debate.

Doesn't seem very one-sided to me. You're still here! Despite the fact that I'm the one who has the problem with arguing.

Listen, I posted a list of movies he has been involved with in order to clarify a misconception. You, as usual, came at that list with guns blazing and with your usual mocking tone towards anyone who says anything the least bit "fan-boyish" around here. I merely pointed out that your points about the list do not address the opinion that Lucas hasn't done much of any real value since SW and Indy. You seem to have a problem with that. And, more importantly, you seem to have a problem with me.

If you don't care for the conversation, feel free not to perpetuate it.

Edit: If you really want to debate the relative merit of each and ever one of Lucas's films. . .

I don't.

Edit:

Yeah, that again. Look man, the fact that you continue to use the patented internet geek "Break-each-post-down-into-single-lines" technique speaks volumes about your desire to debate this and everything else.

It's like you don't even see your own posts. Scroll up. :rolleyes:

Edited by Hurin

Edit: If you really want to debate the relative merit of each and ever one of Lucas's films. . .

I don't.

Aww...I was SO looking forward to your 300 word essay titled "Radioland Murders: How Gary Kurtz would have salvaged the mess" :lol:

No seriously, it'll be fun. I can post something, then you can break it down line by line. Then I'll reply and you can accuse me of getting excited again. Come on, where's your sense of adventure?

Edited by bsu legato

You, as usual, came at that list with guns blazing and with your usual mocking tone towards anyone who says anything the least bit "fan-boyish" around here.

sorry hurin, but that sentence right there shows you took his post and blew it out of proportion by making the assumption that he was posting in his"usual mocking tone".

seriously Hurin, you started it, so chill out.

No seriously, it'll be fun. I can post something, then you can break it down line by line. Then I'll reply and you can accuse me of getting excited again. Come on, where's your sense of adventure?

Again, it's like you don't even read your own posts. . . I suggest you scroll up. I see a lot of quoting. :rolleyes:

People who start screaming: "Stop arguing with me! You argue to much!" while continuing to argue themselves are the height of hilarity.

Haterist. We all know how much I value your opinion. ;) But seriously, having read his posts every time Star Wars and/or George Lucas is mentioned for the last year, it's hard not to read a tone in them than may or may not be there in this case.

H

Again, it's like you don't even read your own posts. . .  I suggest you scroll up.  I see a lot of quoting.  :rolleyes:

People who start screaming:  "Stop arguing with me!  You argue to much!" while continuing to argue themselves are the height of hilarity.

Hey, I never said I was proud of that. It just seems to be the only way to discuss anything with you sometimes. If anything, this thread just further proves my thesis that Star Wars makes people stupid.

Edited by bsu legato

Again, it's like you don't even read your own posts. . .  I suggest you scroll up.  I see a lot of quoting.  :rolleyes:

People who start screaming:  "Stop arguing with me!  You argue to much!" while continuing to argue themselves are the height of hilarity.

Hey, I never said I was proud of that. It just seems to be the only way to discuss anything with you sometimes.

Why would you want to?

H

For all I know, Lucas' attachment to Tucker could be as superficial as Tarantino's name on Hero.  Fred Roos and Fred Fuchs were the producers and Arnold Schulman and David Seidler wrote the screenplay.  And like I said before, I give a lot of credit for what I liked in that movie to Francis Ford Coppola for directing.

Dammit. If I can't learn to stop bringing up these pesky facts, I'm not gonna have any friends left.

Haterist. We all know how much I value your opinion. ;) But seriously, having read his posts every time Star Wars and/or George Lucas is mentioned for the last year, it's hard not to read a tone in them than may or may not be there in this case.

H

fair enough, but knowing this, why start shiet with him? why not assume he wasn't mocking you and just answer the question(w/o arguing) and move along?

and honestly, don't just blame him, its the both of you guys that i see arguing endlessly in every single SW thread thats popped up recently. back and forth, back and forth, the least you could do is keep it one SW thread so the rest of us can enjoy the others. :lol:

seriously dudes, chill out, get back on topic, or just bitch through PM's. this has been going on for weeks now, aren't either one of you guys tired yet? :huh:

Why would you want to?

Cuz...this is a discussion forum? We talk about things here. Its what we do. That, and post pictures of Man-Faye's hairy ass.

Oh, I thought we just posted pictures of wookies while surfing hot Czechoslovakian nude internet girls in another browser?

;)

The whole, "All GL's other movies suck," is the lamest argument ever.

I don't give a sh!t what else he did or didn't do, we are talking about SW.

If someone creates something great, I fail to see why they need to create 2 things great to further prove their worth.

Look at it this way, IMO the greatest director ever is John Milius and he one mildly amusing and fun 80s action movie; Red Dawn, and then of course the greatest movie ever, Conan The Barbarian.

Oh, I thought we just posted pictures of wookies while surfing hot Czechoslovakian nude internet girls in another browser?

;)

Punchline #1 - Wookiees....Man Faye's hairy ass....aren't they the same thing?

Punchline #2 - Your unholy Wookiee fetish is well known, Blaine.

Punchline #3 - Would you and your plush "Tarful" doll take it outside, sicko?