Interesting Aviation Pictures

Well as some of you know I have been on a redesign kick of late, redesigning many of the fighters and ships from my books. Now I have pretty much finished it, and think I want to make renders of these craft again, but what I want to do is try to recreate some famous or interesting avaition photos. I have done a couple already, but need some source material to make additional shots, so if any of you have some interesting pictures laying around your hard drive or know websites with interesting shots please let me know.

with Windows XP, it blew up just fine for my desktop as it was... have you tried that?

*edit* ok, a SLIGHT loss of resolution... sorry I don't have a larger, clearer version

Edited by Skull Leader

Ok here are my first attempts, getting the lighting and angles to match up was a pain and I know they are not 100% but I think it works well with the given composition. Comments?

post-26-1118115647_thumb.jpg

Well...

Firstly, if you want to match the look, you have to get an ordnance-heavy ship -- the focus in the original pic is not just on the banking aircraft, but also the sh!tload of missiles it's carrying. :) The angle is a bit off too, the F14 is banking, but your ship seems to be diving..

Idea: Put a bogey in the picture. :)

For pic 2 and pic 3, the lighting looks a bit off -- angle I think. Pic 3, I was thinking should be harsher (no atmospherics to diffuse the light). The craft in pic 3 looks a bit too.. warm, fuzzy, in a sense, to be in outer space.

Pic 2.. just looks wrong for some reason. I'll try to pin down the reason(s), but can't give you an answer now.

Along the lines of what eugimon is saying, I think you can try hitting the finalized pics with a small blur effect. I tend to do that for my photochops, for better results.

thanks for the comments guys, constructive criticism is what I need to make these better. First question how do you "feather" the selection in photoshop?

I didn't notice the angle error until I had the pictures next to each other, doh! I will try and do better in the future. As for the missile carrying, I decided to go with craft of equivalent roles and this one is an interceptor and one of the few that carries any external ordnance, most carry their weapons internally.

Knight: If you are using Photoshop, once you have selected the relevant shape to feather, go to Select and look for the Feather option. The keyboard shortcut is Alt-Ctrl-D.

A dialog box would pop up asking how many pixels to feather. Don't feather too much... as in everything else, moderation is key in Photoshop. :)

As for interesting pics, would this do?

post-26-1118169610_thumb.jpg

There are still dialupers on here? I will try the feathering thing tonight, I may also do that A-10 one next, the multiple transports would be interesting, but the dusty C-130 would be a serious pain, but I will try.

There are still dialupers on here? I will try the feathering thing tonight, I may also do that A-10 one next, the multiple transports would be interesting, but the dusty C-130 would be a serious pain, but I will try.

Yeah, I think there's a couple of dialupers here.

C-130 is a pain? Nyet, I got one that's even more of an impossibility to try. ;)

aaarrrggghhhh, ok before I can do the A-10 shot with the craft I originally intended I have to make low poly version, I tried doing it and it crashed the program, used too much memory, for some reason that design is super large in memory

that is as an awesome shot sithlord but a little too advanced for me right now to try and reproduce, especially with all the crew and shock cone, but I might be able to try something similar.

Ok this one did not come out too well, I may do some more work on it putting in the crewmen, but I think for now this is just too complex a composition. Thoughts?

the colors are killing this one, as in too many and none complement each other.

you could add a light inside the hangar to complement the galaxy outside or atleast bring down the saturation

problem might also come up as this image and the one it is being built from dont' have a clear subject or paticularly intresting composition.

are we looking at the plane in the forground, plane in the background or the galaxy? they all seem to fight each other for attention as does the color.

just my 2cents

Next up, this one is inspired by this F-15 Photo.  I think it came out much better then the last one.  Comments?

Uhm.. for some reason, the logo/ icon on the nearest ship doesn't look flat/ applied to the wing surface, but popping out. It's a distracting. I think because the logo is too circular, my eyes are expecting to see more of a flattened oval due to the angle of the wings..

Other than that, the lighting seems a bit dimmer than the sunlit ground implies, maybe you need to jack the lights up a bit? Otherwise, it's a good pic.