New Megazone 23 Announced

You answered your own damn question, why bother watching it if you're only going to watch the dub.

True, ADV does make some pretty sad dubs(yet they strangely have a following). Though the commentary is a laugh riot in how lame it is. :rolleyes:

Personally if you compared Streamline with ADV's new dub, the streamline blows it away in comparison to acting and dailouge. But still are roughly bad.

Not too mention you gotta watch Parts 1 and 2 to understand the story completely and what happens or happened to everyone. Part 3 is sorta like "Uhhh...you know I'm pretty bored lets watch this." To only get a few good deals of neat action then after that it starts to blow. Plus I thought it had an interesting twist that not everything can be a happy ending.

I think it's that his art is no longer suited to today's over-simplified anime visuals. The reason his designs got "trashed about" in M7 is because they had to hire another designer, Katsura Kenichi, to re-do them all for the animation.

I'm pretty sure that's what's gonna happen this time, too. In fact, I haven't seen his designs in motion at all since, what, Macross II?? Or was Gundam War in the Pocket after that?

Anyway, recently his stuff has only been seen on still-image media like dating games, illustrations and manga because it takes too much work to get them to move. :(

Noticed the ugly(fugly) simplifacation of the newer anime too, huh. ;) I'm still wondering why they stopped using black shadows.

It's hard to tell whether it's the cost(time) involved with making a detailed anime, the lacking of skilled talent(across the board), or the style change that seemed to happen when computers became dominant for anime work(alot of the current stuff reminds me of crisp watercolors). Frankly I think it's the lack of skill that prevents his works from becoming anime.

Damn I want more of his work in manga!

Well, he is doing a Gundam manga at the moment called "Ecole du ciel" or something. If that's your cup of tea (not mine, though).

I reccommend Cherish and Reverb, they're both one-offs.

Well, he is doing a Gundam manga at the moment called "Ecole du ciel" or something. If that's your cup of tea (not mine, though).

GEK! He's drawing Gundam! Oh well gotta pay the bills somehow. ;)

One-offs of what type? GN's or single chapter story's?

One-offs of what type? GN's or single chapter story's?

One-offs as in each is a one-volume only manga. GNs, if you like, but they are both collections of short stories, not necessarily related.

Ecole du Ciel's pretty cool IMO: I recommend it for the ones who want to know what happened during UC 0085, a key period of the UC time-line ;)

Personally I hope it's not a remake.I hope they tell about the events before PT.3

I hope they get the original voice actress that played Eve back.I keep frogetting her name but she blows Mara Ijima out of the water in my view.I'm glad Mikimoto's back doing animation too.The anime community needs him back because lately character designs for a lot of anime has been dull to me.

Miyasato Kumi was the one who played Eve in parts 1 & 2. That was her only role in anime. She also released 3 albums back in the late 80s. As far as I know, she hasn't done any work since then. I heard a rumor some years ago that she only did those works to earn money for school or something of the like.

• 9 months later...

I can only see them do a re-imagining MZ23 because of prt.3 that story is pretty much done. I wouldn't totally mind and maybe this time around they never find Earth. I never saw the Streamline version but yeah most of the actors in ADV's pretty much suck. Eventhough, I did like Yui; she sounded all nice'n slurmty. Just the way I like my girls! Ha! :lol:

Edited by terry the lone wolf

Megazone 23 III is not part three, for the record, the III is read "the third", just like other anime like Lupin III or Armitage III, despite what ADV will tell you. It's a two part OAV sequel made quite a bit later than the other Megazones. Like a lot of 90's OAV sequels to 80's anime, it kind of goes off on a weird tangent. Think Orguss 02. I don't think it's -bad-, but it's not as good as Megazone 23 Part 1 or Part 2. It's really cyberpunk, has very little of the original cast of characters, and a really different feel. But it is directed by Shinji Aramaki (and Kenichi Yatagai, Macross II's director) and it does have some of that Aramaki feel, but it also has a lot of that 90's OAV sequel 'eh' to it.

There's also some badly animated sequences where apparently due to time or budget problems they only have the key frames animated. Apparently Itano was insanely furious about this. Fits with Itano's extreme personality, plus the sequences animated by him look -fabulous-. III is a bit of a mixed bag, but worth seeing if you're at all into cyberpunk or want more Eve songs, or are interested in seeing some really badass Itano fight scenes. Especially the fight between the EX-Garland and the Original Garland at the end of episode two. That fight rules. I love Itano.

Also there's some digs at the Akira film in III -- I guess the Artmic guys felt it owed a lot to Megazone 23, and I can't really blame them. The character named Akira is a Johnny come lately poseur who dies ignomiously...

304296[/snapback]

I don't see what's so weird about Mikimoto doing Gundam. He did the character designs for Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket.

Edited by Ginrai

So is MZ PtIII worth buying?  I've heard mixed feelings about it and I'm hesitant to buy a copy.

380638[/snapback]

Skip it.

380664[/snapback]

Gee, Jeleinen, thanks for that enlightening opinion. Do you think you could take two seconds out of your no doubt busy schedule to tell us -why- you think that? What's the point of a discussion if you just blurt out two word proclamations without any reasoning?

So is MZ PtIII worth buying?  I've heard mixed feelings about it and I'm hesitant to buy a copy.

380638[/snapback]

Skip it.

380664[/snapback]

Gee, Jeleinen, thanks for that enlightening opinion. Do you think you could take two seconds out of your no doubt busy schedule to tell us -why- you think that? What's the point of a discussion if you just blurt out two word proclamations without any reasoning?

380688[/snapback]

Actually, I didn't have time to make a longer post then. I will now though.

First off, it's a completely unnecessary sequal. The end of 2 pretty much wraps things up quite well. Secondly, and even more importantly, the big reveal at the end pretty much craps all over the conclusion of 2 (trying not to spoil here, so please forgive my vagueness).

If you can see it for free, it's not going to melt your brain or anything, but it's not worth going after and it's certainly not worth purchasing.

380638[/snapback]

Skip it.

380664[/snapback]

380688[/snapback]

Actually, I didn't have time to make a longer post then. I will now though.

First off, it's a completely unnecessary sequal. The end of 2 pretty much wraps things up quite well. Secondly, and even more importantly, the big reveal at the end pretty much craps all over the conclusion of 2 (trying not to spoil here, so please forgive my vagueness).

If you can see it for free, it's not going to melt your brain or anything, but it's not worth going after and it's certainly not worth purchasing.

380844[/snapback]

Thanks to all who took the time to respond. Like I said "mixed feelings" and (now) "it's okay" is all I've heard and those seem to be the majority. While I should form my own opinion on this MZ movie, all those opinions suggest is that it's not worth buying. Maybe a friend has a copy and I can borrow it.

Edited by USMCBebop

• 10 years later...