X-men 3 loses another director

• 2 weeks later...
Cumming Not Blue Over "X3" Loss

Posted:  Monday June 20th, 2005 3:39am

Source:  AlanCumming.Com

Author:  Garth Franklin 

Actor Alan Cumming has announced on his official site that he will not be playing Nightcrawler in the next "X-Men" movie. According to the post, 20th Century Fox chose not to pick up his option to play the character in the flick.

Cumming joined the franchise in "X2" playing the blue skinned tattooed mutant who could teleport. He was under contract for "X3" although it was an experience he is probably happy to get out of after onthe record complaints about the arduous make-up process and on-set feuding with "X2" helmer Bryan Singer.

Filming will begin under the helm of Brett Ratner in August with Fox targeting a Memorial Day 2006 release.

Thanks to 'Carlos'.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050620b.php

I blame Singer for Halles lackluster performance. I don't think he really gave her much to work with and, he didn't really help her to grasp the character. If they didn't cut out her backstory she might have given a better depiction of the character in the 1st film.

Really?

Who do you blame for her lackluster performance in Catwoman? Or B.A.P.S.? Gothika, Die Another Day, The Rich Man's Wife, or Swordfish? (though her nude chest acted extremely well in that one ;) )

All I'm saying is every other actor in Singer's X-Men did a fine job and she's been known to stink up the screen before.

Ratner's X3 will very likely lead the X-Men franchise into a shiny, special effects-laden, soulless filmmaking. See what happened after Burton left Batman and basically sit back and watch it all happen again.

IMHO, there's not a whole ton of difference between Brett Ratner and Joel Schumacher.

I blame Singer for Halles lackluster performance.  I don't think he really gave her much to work with and, he didn't really help her to grasp the character.  If they didn't cut out her backstory she might have given a better depiction of the character in the 1st film. 

Really?

Who do you blame for her lackluster performance in Catwoman? Or B.A.P.S.? Gothika, Die Another Day, The Rich Man's Wife, or Swordfish? (though her nude chest acted extremely well in that one ;) )

All I'm saying is every other actor in Singer's X-Men did a fine job and she's been known to stink up the screen before.

Ratner's X3 will very likely lead the X-Men franchise into a shiny, special effects-laden, soulless filmmaking. See what happened after Burton left Batman and basically sit back and watch it all happen again.

IMHO, there's not a whole ton of difference between Brett Ratner and Joel Schumacher.

there's a huge difference between rattner and Joel Crapmacher... Joel is a glorified set designer who could direct his way out of a paper bag. Rattner at least makes competent souless movies. HUGE difference.

there's a huge difference between rattner and Joel Crapmacher... Joel is a glorified set designer who could direct his way out of a paper bag. Rattner at least makes competent souless movies. HUGE difference.

Falling Down was fairly decent, without all the fancy sets. Most of the scenes were shot on location, actually.

I blame Singer for Halles lackluster performance.  I don't think he really gave her much to work with and, he didn't really help her to grasp the character.  If they didn't cut out her backstory she might have given a better depiction of the character in the 1st film. 

Really?

I liked Singers work on the X-men, I don't think there are many other directors ( maybe Pete Jackson or Raimi) that could've done a better job than him given the time and budgetary constraints he had to work with. All I'm saying is that coming into the film, Halle like some of the other actors in the film weren't that fimiliar with the characters they were playing. I felt if he would've worked with her a little more i.e made her more familiar with the character, then maybe she could have done a better job of depicting Storm. Like I said the decision to cut Storms and Cyclops origins from the 1st film really weakend the actors portrayals. Making Wolvie the POV character also cheaped the other X-mens roles but someone had to be the POV for the audience so that isn't really a complaint of mine. But, ultimately its the directors job too get the best performance from the actors. Not the other way around.

BTW on AICN there is a possible story outline for X3 and discussion of why Singer wasn't retained. It didn't sound too good, and I think this next film may signal the end of the franchise.