X-men 3 loses another director

CNN article.

Another director exits 'X-Men 3'

Wednesday, June 1, 2005 Posted: 11:38 AM EDT (1538 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- With just two months until production begins, the director of "X-Men 3" has left the Fox project, citing personal reasons.

The Marvel superhero sequel would have marked the first big-budget studio project for Matthew Vaughn, who made his directing debut with the gangster tale "Layer Cake."

"X3," with a cast that includes Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry, is scheduled to begin production August 2 for release on May 26, 2006. Vaughn is the second director to be involved in the project. Bryan Singer, who directed the first two "X-Men" features, had been expected to direct the third, but when he chose to take on Warner Bros. Pictures' upcoming "Superman Returns," Fox abruptly cut its ties with him.

Fox insisted that Vaughn's departure had nothing to do with either creative differences or the pressures of mounting the multimillion-dollar project.

Instead, Vaughn, who had planned to commute between the film's Vancouver location and his family in London, said that he'd come to realize that he would have to move to L.A. and Vancouver for a year, and he decided he did not want to uproot his family for an extended period.

"We understand Matthew's reasons for leaving, as nothing is more important than family," Fox president Hutch Parker said.

"Luckily, we have a fantastic script, the original cast is returning, and there will be some great new characters. We will decide shortly among several directors who are keenly interested in the project and are fully committed to remaining right on schedule."

The $7 million "Layer Cake" has grossed $729,488 after 18 days of limited release via Sony Pictures Classics, as well as $8 million overseas. Vaughn also produced Guy Ritchie's crime movies "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" and "Snatch."

Yeah, I was bummed when I heard about this.... I was really looking forward to seeing what Vaughn would do with the X-Men franchise, as I had quite unexpectedly and thoroughly enjoyed Layer Cake.

As for the cult of Whedon... yes Joss is good, but damn I get tired of folks wanting to attach him (or re-attach him as it were) to every hot new project. Surely there is other directorial talent out there?

Let Joss concentrate on making Wonder Woman not suck.

:rolleyes:

Then again, depending on who they cast, that might just be worth the price of admission... :D

But I digress...

Amped is right. AS far as Joss Whedon. He hasn't even thought about Wonder Woman, apart from the scripment he gave WB, until he finishes Serenity. So I doubt he would take on X3.

The execs at the WB made such a big mistake for letting Singer go... but hopefully they get someone that will make a better movie.

I'm not that disappointed that Vaughn has left, I heard some troubling comments that he made about filming X3 so I think his deciding to not do the flim is a good think. But Having only 2 month's to find a Director is a tough feat. Hopefully they'll find someone competent. Whedon would be a logical choice, but I've heard rumors that he's had a tough time meeting the comics deadlines so I don't know how well he'd do filming a major film with lots of egos.

I'm very concerned about the future of this film. Two good directors have already left and it's not like there is an abundance of talent that could properly handle this material. More often than not, a bad choice is made over a good choice. Granted, the attatchment of Singer and Vaughn did not ensure that the third X film would be a success. I'm just concerned about the continued exodus of talent from this project.

I would be VERY curious to know who the studio is considering as the next director. That, more than anything else, would confirm or dispell my concerns.

Maybe it shouldn't even be made. The second one was great, just call it quits there and move on. Who wants a X-Men 6: Resurrection Xtreme starring a whole new cast and directed by Paul W.S. Anderson? You know its headed down the road to tired franchise without the guidance of one director from beginning to end to make sure it isn't turned into a joke.

Maybe it shouldn't even be made.  The second one was great, just call it quits there and move on.  Who wants a X-Men 6: Resurrection Xtreme starring a whole new cast and directed by Paul W.S. Anderson?  You know its headed down the road to tired franchise without the guidance of one director from beginning to end to make sure it isn't turned into a joke.

We'll eventually suffer from this regardless. I think the point is (and I'm sure most fans agree) that we wanted a good trilogy of X-Men flicks. The first two were great and we wanted just one more to close the plot thread created in the finale of the second film. Singer said he'd continue making them as long as he had ideas and as long as they were popular, prior to his departure from the franchise of course. But I think we all know deep down that after three, the charm would fade, as it so often does.

But I suppose I should feel grateful that we got two good films. Hell, hollywood is known for butchering franchises with sequels, so I should consider X2 a minor miracle :)

Edited by Mr March

Cameron. Get Cameron to do it. How many other good directors have his experience in making special effects work. Plus his signing on alone would probably double the budget the studio would allow. Or he would just pay for it out of his own pocket ;) . Fox has 2 great films from him ALIENS and The Abyss.

Cameron. Get Cameron to do it.

I can't imagine a studio being willing to pony up for the cost of a 'name' director like him for something like X-Men.

Besides , much like Whedon & Wonder Woman... I'd rather Cameron spent his time making Battle Angel the amazing frikkin' thing he claims its gonna be...

What is this robocop 3 movie of which you speak? There is no such animal. You MUST be imagining things surely. :p:D:lol:

sarcasm people sarcasm :p The scifi miniseries was ok though. I just didnt like the mariachi band music in it.

Holy crap... it's exactly who I thought they would get... not who I wanted them to get. He's a decent director. I don't hate his movies, but they're nowhere near my favorite movie list.

The next director of the X3...

Brett Ratner. :unsure:

i just saw that too, brett ratner is the next director, well at least it will have beast, and vinnie jones so its going to be good one way or another, and kelsey grammer is such the perfect choice for beast, the casting for the series has been pretty solid and dead on for the most part, although i still think that angela bassett would have made a far better storm, i dont care if she is 40, she is still beautiful and she has the screen presence to be storm,

i just saw that too, brett ratner is the next director, well at least it will have beast, and vinnie jones so its going to be good one way or another, and kelsey grammer is such the perfect choice for beast, the casting for the series has been pretty solid and dead on for the most part, although i still think that angela bassett would have made a far better storm, i dont care if she is 40, she is still beautiful and she has the screen presence to be storm,

I blame Singer for Halles lackluster performance. I don't think he really gave her much to work with and, he didn't really help her to grasp the character. If they didn't cut out her backstory she might have given a better depiction of the character in the 1st film. But Angela would've rocked as the Goddess. If Iman wasn't so old she would've been the perfect Storm. She's statuesque, has an accent, has some acting experience, gorgeous as hell, looks like Storm and could come across as a take no crap person.

What all fims has Ratner done? I can't remember any of his films off the top of my head.

If you guys are fans of the X-men Legends game the sequel is on schedule to come out this fall. Activision has been updating the games webpage.

A company I used to work for in the mid-to-late 1990s provided the blank fireams and blank ammunition for all the Jackie Chan movies. I worked on one of the movies that Ratner directed. I guess it was probably Rush Hour....I forget, as I've never liked Jackie Chan movies. Anyway, IMO this Ratner character was a bit of a dick.

Graham