Ruined canopy

Gabe Q

A little disaster occured. I spilled my Tenax all over my work table. Unfortunately, my canopy for my Hasegawa valk got covered in it. Now my canopy is all foggy and melted along the edges. I don't know if I can salvage it.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

post-23-1117141236_thumb.jpg

Wow man, that sucks major ass-age.... I dont know much about it, but depending on how melted the front bit is shape and contour wise, you MIGHT be able to sand it down with multiple grits of sandpaper until you get to a really fine one, and then dip the canopy in Future.... otherwise, it looks like you will either have to get a replacement from somewhere, or do a battle-damaged valk :p

After some test fitting, I found that the edge of the canopy is warped and does not sit flush against the cockpit. I think my only option now is to find a replacement canopy. I have about ten other unbuilt Hase valk kits I could take a canopy from but, eventually, I'm gonna need a new canopy.

Does anybody have one they can spare? I'll make it worth your while.

Hey Gabe, I am in need of canopy myself and am going to give vac forming a whirl. If it works out I'll form one and sent it over to you.

May not happen for a few weeks yet, as I have to finish the spiderbug.

Berttt

Thanks for the replies. It's nice to know I can turn to you guys for help. Hopefully, I can figure out what to do about a replacement canopy.

Anyway, this is what I'm working on right now. It's a Super Jenius. I guess I'll pull a canopy out of another kit in the meantime. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get a replacement one day.

post-23-1117173057_thumb.jpg

Wow man, that sucks major ass-age.... I dont know much about it, but depending on how melted the front bit is shape and contour wise, you MIGHT be able to sand it down with multiple grits of sandpaper until you get to a really fine one, and then dip the canopy in Future.... otherwise, it looks like you will either have to get a replacement from somewhere, or do a battle-damaged valk :p

Hi Gabe Q,

I can give a little suggestion on your problem:

After you did the step from "promethuem5" advise, you can use the "Finishing Compound" to re-shine the sanded canpoy, just like removing the parting line on it. Gloss finish can be obtained with super fine level compound. :lol:

HEY BERTT! I finally found that canopy to go with the decals. Is your canopy as bad as his? If not i could send it to gabe instead it seems he is in real deep need.

Her HWR,

lol, my canopy is split in two right down the middle. I am hoping to have a crack at this vac forming game, if that works out I won't need the canopy.

Funny thing is mine broke while I was building my DYRL? Max Super. I pulled a canopy out of another kit to get me through.

Cheers,

Berttt

Hey Gabe,

I've got two canopies on order from HLJ. Don't know when they'll arrive, but thanks to the advice in this thread I may only need one. If it works ouy that way I can pass on one of the pair that I have on order to you (for the cost price plus shipping). Think of it as a last resort if nothing else here works out. HLJ says it could be up to three months wait time.

Charles.

Hey Gabe,

I've got two canopies on order from HLJ. Don't know when they'll arrive, but thanks to the advice in this thread I may only need one. If it works ouy that way I can pass on one of the pair that I have on order to you (for the cost price plus shipping). Think of it as a last resort if nothing else here works out. HLJ says it could be up to three months wait time.

Charles.

Let us know how much they cost when you get them. I was always curious abouyt that.

Berttt

HLJ parts always cost more than they should, really. If you can, go with Rainbowten.

That canopy doesn't look too bad. With a little elbow grease, I think it can be salvaged. Sand it down and polish it up. It is going to be discarded anyway, right? So it is worth a try.

No problem Bertt, when I find out how much they charge I'll post it.

I tried casting them myself but the originals were cracked (which is why I can't use them) and so the mark from the crack was transfered to the mould and ergo the recasted parts. I thought about sanding the marks, and then buffing the recasted canopy, but after building the mould and casting the part all the sanding and buffing just seemed like too much work. Then there is always the possibility of marring the part again with all that handling, so I figured I'd just order some new ones. (and then make a mould of one of them- for future accidents!)

Now on their website I believe it says something about a possible Three Month wait time so it may take a while before I get the info. Oh Yeah they also say you should be prepared to pay up to 30% of the cost of the kit.

Oh, and Stamen0083 thanks for the tip, I'll look into it!

That canopy doesn't look too bad. With a little elbow grease, I think it can be salvaged. Sand it down and polish it up. It is going to be discarded anyway, right? So it is worth a try.

The canopy became slightly warped. If I do buff it out and get it sparkly clear, it still won't fit right. It's just not the same shape anymore. I suppose I can try it seeing as I have nothing but time on my hands.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just got the notice from HLJ that my two canopies are on the way. The cost is 500 yen each plus 580 shipping (sal) so the total is 1580 yen. I think it's worth it. it would have been better if it could have been combined with my earlier order, but I guess that's asking too much. Anyway for those who were interested in the cost now you know.

• 1 year later...

Here is how you fix a canopy.......

- Under running water sand with fine sandpaper in a circular motion.

- Work your way to finer and finer sandpaper.

- Finish with BRASSO or some form of metal polish (no need for running water here! LOL).

- Dip in Future.

Edited by Skull-1

Here is how you fix a canopy.......

- Under running water sand with fine sandpaper in a circular motion.

- Work your way to finer and finer sandpaper.

- Finish with BRASSO or some form of metal polish (no need for running water here! LOL).

- Dip in Future.

Actually, you can skip the brasso, IF, the canopy appears to be clear when submerged in water. When you submerge it in water, you get a preview of what it will look like once you coat it in future.