7 hours ago, Big s said:

All this talk about news media and cool names for tv reminded me that there was a news anchor with the name Wolf Blitzer. That dude may be famous for what he does, but missed his calling to be an NFL quarterback or action movie star.

Guy has an awesome name! 

On 10/17/2021 at 3:46 PM, sqidd said:

It's nice to know the media being fear mongering and untrustworthy is nothing new.

I wouldn't call it "fear mongering", really. "Sensationalism" would be more accurate. Its worth remembering back then, given the political and domestic situation in the UK, the US was in the minds of many occupying a place in popular culture here somewhat akin to the way Japan does now - a place of exotic wonder and unobtainable cool. I mean, you had Stringfellow Hawke and we had "Last of the Summer Wine", it wasn't much of a comparison. 😄

Can someone help me out with the Aoshima 1/48 Airwolf options? I'm having a hard time decoding what color is what. Does anyone know what color this one is and how it compares to the show color? Thanks!:hi:

s-l500.jpg.f37267ff93f3501de726fecc3324d602.jpg

936159881_s-l500(1).jpg.d7da6ecf444335b0ec3d5350675d2bac.jpg

Edited by sqidd

3 hours ago, sqidd said:

Can someone help me out with the Aoshima 1/48 Airwolf options? I'm having a hard time decoding what color is what. Does anyone know what color this one is and how it compares to the show color? Thanks!:hi:

The one you have pictured is the default version with a slight metallic blue paint scheme. There were two other versions IIRC, one having a metallic black scheme and the other having matte black paint job.  I did a mini review of mine way back when it cost $80.

8 minutes ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

The one you have pictured is the default version with a slight metallic blue paint scheme. There were two other versions IIRC, one having a metallic black scheme and the other having matte black paint job.  I did a mini review of mine way back when it cost $80.

The standard color is blue?:unknw: Is it blue on the show? I always thought it was black??

I certainly never thought it was THIS blue (if blue at all). Is this what is in that box? I'm not exactly thrilled with that. I like your black one better.

Thanks

IMG_8875.JPG.303bef003348a33d1389226689fa37b8.JPG

21 hours ago, Thom said:

Wherever you sit on the divide, commentators have been the true death of actual news. 

I would be happy if the 24 hour news cycle died as quickly as it had formed.

I should perhaps clarify, this report was in a British newspaper, one that even at the time had a reputation for... exaggeration. 🙂

24 minutes ago, sqidd said:

The standard color is blue?:unknw: Is it blue on the show? I always thought it was black??

I certainly never thought it was THIS blue (if blue at all). Is this what is in that box? I'm not exactly thrilled with that. I like your black one better.

Thanks

No sweat. I didn't think the Lady had any blue on her either, but I guess Aoshima did a bit of artistic license on the first release.

4 hours ago, sqidd said:

s-l500.jpg.f37267ff93f3501de726fecc3324d602.jpg

936159881_s-l500(1).jpg.d7da6ecf444335b0ec3d5350675d2bac.jpg

When I looked for my copy not too long ago, I went by what was shown in Mandarake:

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/listPage/list?keyword=Aoshima Gokin Airwolf&lang=en

Looks like there’s at least 4 different versions:

1. Standard metallic dark blue.

2. Metallic black.

3. Matt black.

4. Matt black & weathered.

17 minutes ago, MKT said:

When I looked for my copy not too long ago, I went by what was shown in Mandarake:

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/listPage/list?keyword=Aoshima Gokin Airwolf&lang=en

Looks like there’s at least 4 different versions:

1. Standard metallic dark blue.

2. Metallic black.

3. Matt black.

4. Matt black & weathered.

Nice, a "Airwolf" color key if you will.:hail:

8 minutes ago, DarkArchon3000 said:

From Wikipedia: Airwolf was painted "Phantom Gray Metallic" (DuPont Imron 5031X) on top, and a custom pearl-gray (almost white) on the bottom. 

So decidedly NOT BLUE. Good move Aoshima. 

2 hours ago, DarkArchon3000 said:

From Wikipedia: Airwolf was painted "Phantom Gray Metallic" (DuPont Imron 5031X) on top, and a custom pearl-gray (almost white) on the bottom. 

This.  @sh9000, I bought in years ago when they were released and went with the matt black and "weathered" version as to my eye it looked the closest in the promo pics to what I remember on TV. Well...almost a win. I can post pics of it if you want.  The black is very matt black, no weathering, the bottom half is light grey with heavy streaks of weathering which is kinda odd looking in person, kinda reminiscent of the Yamato "Weathering Special" VF's back in the day. It's an awesome helicopter display, but my motor died without cause a few years in and one of my doors is sprung and doesn't close all the way now which kinda sucks, but whatever, it's still a good looking bird. I have plans to try to repaint the underside at some point...maybe....

Your Blue Thunder is EPIC! Who made it and where did you pick it up?

Edited by derex3592

45 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

This.  @sh9000, I bought in years ago when they were released and went with the matt black and "weathered" version as to my eye it looked the closest in the promo pics to what I remember on TV. Well...almost a win. I can post pics of it if you want.  The black is very matt black, no weathering, the bottom half is light grey with heavy streaks of weathering which is kinda odd looking in person, kinda reminiscent of the Yamato "Weathering Special" VF's back in the day. It's an awesome helicopter display, but my motor died without cause a few years in and one of my doors is sprung and doesn't close all the way now which kinda sucks, but whatever, it's still a good looking bird. I have plans to try to repaint the underside at some point...maybe....

Your Blue Thunder is EPIC! Who made it and where did you pick it up?

Ooooo, you have the matt Black AW. I'm eyeballing one right now MISB. What do you think of the matt? Can you post some pics? Do you think you would lie the gloss black better? Is this the correct box for the matt?

2053856823_217bqYb7oxL._AC_UL600_SR600600_.jpg.9cf1e8b50958f08a546b59ea8aa0c141.jpg

I got BT off AmazonUS. The maker is Organic (never heard of it before). I like it a lot. at 1:32 it's a great size and the detail is actually quite good. It's pretty heavy too. It's got that good diecast feel to it. I read a review that said the tail boom is angled up too far (it is) but I just pretend it's supposed to look like that. I like it. I'd buy it again. Linkypoo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JEO5ZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

17 hours ago, sqidd said:

Speaking of Blue Thunder. This just showed up.

IMG_9530.JPG.5ef6a07a01538cc7e07e9498fb5c60f4.jpg.98968860e7010c1c453c96aea1bf76b9.jpgIMG_9531.JPG.1f15918fb842c9a8dab050986081d012.jpg.a4ccd6224621447203fc89c1cff436ff.jpgIMG_9532.JPG.bc94966ae4d5d2302254e07f184565ff.jpg.77732b8208f782a7980b8e773d39a73a.jpgIMG_9533.JPG.5d08634fc05ec4e3ab441cf8d3db41d2.jpg.202334e05648fa15c0dff5f7d18c2308.jpg

This is awesome!  Been trying to track down an old Monogram 1/32 scale BT kit and not have to pay over $100 USD, lol!

5 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

@sqidd Sorry for the delay with pics work's been crazy this week.. Here is the matt black weathering version. Had to change locations... Pyewacket the cat wanted to help out... 🙄

20211022_172826.jpg

20211022_172845.jpg

20211022_173000.jpg

20211022_173012.jpg

20211022_173019.jpg

20211022_173055.jpg

Sweet! Thanks for the pics. The flat black looks pretty cool. I really want a AW, but man, the Aoshima's are HUGE money! I ran across this and it's 1/32 scale. I sent them an email and they said they would do it without the landing gear down if I wanted it that way. I'm tempted to pull the trigger. I'm just not sure if I would rather have a real "toy" though.:unknw:

Airwolf-Bell-222-222A-Helicopter-Model-P

I’m confused by the advertised “Clear body” version that is coming out soon. Is it “see through”? The pictures of it don’t appear to be.

edit: disregard, it’s a clear plastic model kit. I didn’t realize Aoshima has 2 different airwolf lines. The die cast replicas and the plastic model kits.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

• 5 months later...

It's a shame that few movie and tv vehicles were preserved upon retirement and mostly left to the elements- so much cool cinematic history lost. In the case of Airwolf, as the narrator said, upon retirement from show-business, The Lady was used as an air ambulance in Germany before crashing in '92.  Watching this guy's walk-around, I'm reminded what a gorgeous helo she is. 😍

3 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

It's a shame that few movie and tv vehicles were preserved upon retirement and mostly left to the elements- so much cool cinematic history lost. In the case of Airwolf, as the narrator said, upon retirement from show-business, The Lady was used as an air ambulance in Germany before crashing in '92.  Watching this guy's walk-around, I'm reminded what a gorgeous helo she is. 😍

Yeah; really wish they had been able to put her in a museum instead of selling her off. :( Now she's scrap and that's that.

28 minutes ago, Thom said:

Is that Ebbtide in the background?

EDIT - No, wrong color/wrong type. It's the Screaming Mimi from 'Riptide' that I was thinking about.

7ddpss9w1kz41.jpg?auto=webp&s=f976292ac1

I was thinking the same thing.  Wonder what happened to that old helo?