Movies

Toonz

this is another non-toy related topic to replace the one on ¡§your nickname & avatar¡¨ that was missing after a couple of pages.

lets talk about movies.

it can be your favourite movie of all time and what type of movies you like. eg, horror, action, comedy, romance.

please keep this topic fun and light hearted so that it will not get deleted.

(permission to post granted by MODERATOR, ROY FOCKER)

Wouldn't it have been easier to just post it in the other scif-fi and anime thread? :lol:

I love horror movies.... the trashier the better. Specially sci-fi horror movies. Some of my favorites are John Carpenter's The Thing, Alien, Aliens and Leviathan. I also like some of those super psycho horror movies like Friday 13th (if you mention Nightmare in Elms street you are going the right way for a smacked bottom :p ), IT and such.

I also don't neglect a good comedy, although I have an easier time listing comedy animes then live-action movies. Out Cold was one of those "nonsense" comedies that really hooked me lately. I also like some of Kevin Smiths stuff.... he is pretty funny. And of course... Shrek! :)

[EDIT] But any genre of movie will do.... as long as its not too touchy feely.... I really hate romances.... and I specially hate chick flicks. :angry:

Edited by Abombz!!

I love comedy movies like austin powers, american pie and friday. I also like sci-fi, action, adventure, and CGI animated movies. Movies like aliens, indiana jones, terminator, toy story, and hulk to name a few. Occasionally I like some chick flicks that I watch with my girl, like serendipity, amelee, fools rush in, and titanic. That's about it I guess. I do like anime movies as well, but that doesn't fit in this category, so I'll save it when someone posts one! :p:D:lol:

My favorite genre of movie is "not an insult to my above-gerbil intelligence".

Regrettably, Hollywood doesn't make too many of these.

Hahahahaha....

then you don't wanna hear my choices

The Blues Brothers

The Last Boyscout

This is Spinal Tap

Low intelligence value - Highly entertaining

Edit: too bad about that Nickname thread, it was keeping clean and not OT(<-to it's subject that is B) )

Edited by Nightbat®

I like pretty much any kind of movie. I'm not hard to please. I do like horror movies. But the ones that really give the creeps are ghost movies. i.e. Sixth Sense, The Others, The Ring really crept me out! Anything else is more comedic than anything.

I really like Sci-FI too! I just finished watching Children Of Dune. It's like a soap opera for guys.

My favorite all time movies are:

Dark City

The Crow (original)

Mullholland Dr.(sp?) - Really wacky movie!

The Usual Suspects

Basically anything dark!

The coolest movies I've seen lately was Frailty and the Life of David Gale.

I'm a fan of John Woo flicks......but also getting into the "indie" scene. I've really been looking foward to Bill Murray's latest flick (Lost In Translation). Also a WWII buff (kinda) two of my top five favorite movies are Saving Private Ryan and Schindlers List (Band of Brothers is also a great mini series). I've also seen Patton, The Longest Day, and Das Boot. B)

Aliens delivers everything I could ever want from a movie.

My sigs are from another favorite flick.

Old reliables: DYRL, Die Hard and Cinema Paradiso(original)

Recent obsessions: Black Hawk Down, Amelie and Knight's Tale.

Hey Toonz, what's with the 'get out of jail free' passes lately? :p

My pick would have to be: "The Outsiders". Even though not a very high budget movie, it had a great storyline that I could relate to and an innocence yet brutallity about it. Awesome movie: You guys should check it out! It's actually by Francis Ford Copolla and stars all of the big names that we know today like Patrick Swayze. Thomas C. Howell, Emilio Estevez, Tom Cruise, Matt Dillon, Rob Lowe, Ralph Macchio, and Diane Lane. Well maybe not big stars anymore, but it was a big cast. Check it out. :D

Fav movies: The Godfather series...yes even 3 dammit...sucks the way it ended, but the story needed to come full circle somehow.

I actually read the book before seeing all of Godfather 1. I remember seeing bits of it as a kid, but it never interested me when I was young. when I read the book and got to the part where Santino get's muffed up good...I remember saying to myself...well, i can't repeat exactly what I said...but it went along the lines of "you ... bastards, you're all gonna ... pay for that ... you ... ...!"

I just love how bad things happen to the family, but in the end those who tried to screw the Corleones all end up the same way...full of holes. :lol:

I tend to like movies that are dark in tone.  Movies like The Crow, Fight Club, Pitch Black, Grosse Point Blank.  The darker and more twisted, the better.

Ever seen Ichi the Killer?

I'm not even gonna post a link to the trailer, it'll get me banned... :ph34r:

Edit in:

For me, anything directed by David Cronenberg is good stuff. I have yet to see a movie he made that I didn't like. Too bad he's gone very indie these days, I had to catch his latest on DVD because so few theaters were showing it. I can understand why he doesn't like doing big studio movies... I think Paramount made him get a more mainstream composer (Michael Kamen, instead of his usual scorer Howard Shore, who's now an Oscar winner thanks to the LOTR trilogy) when he did The Dead Zone. Fox is still sitting on his Naked Lunch, not releasing it on DVD... :(

Edited by Jolly Rogers

Action/Adventure

All James Bond films with Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan

Batman (1989)

Battle Royale

Big Trouble in Little China

Black Hawk Down

Braveheart

the Crow (screw the sequels!)

Escape From New York (screw Escape From L.A.!)

Excalibur

Falling Down

Fight Club

Firefox

Gladiator

Gone in 60 Seconds (screw the remake!)

Heat

Highlander (screw the sequels!)

Indiana Jones Trilogy

La Femme Nikita (screw the remake!)

Leon: The Professional

The Mask of Zorro

Pulp Fiction

Reservoir Dogs

RoboCop (screw the sequels!)

Rollerball (screw the remake!)

Ronin

Saving Private Ryan

Spider-Man (2002)

Superman I-II

Terminator 1-2

Top Gun

Total Recall

True Lies

Comedy

Airplane!

Amazon Women on the Moon

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery

Clerks

Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Monty Python's The Life of Brian

Wayne's World

Drama

The Godfather I-II

Scarface

Horror

Jaws

Martial Arts

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Drunken Master II

The Duel

Enter the Dragon

The Seven Samurai

Shaolin Soccer

Six-String Samurai

Who Am I?

Wong Fei-Hung (Once Upon a Time in China)

Yojimbo

Science Fiction/Fantasy

Alien/Aliens

Blade Runner (still pissed at WB for a crappy DVD release)

A Clockwork Orange

Flash Gordon (1980)

Godzilla (1954)

Independence Day

The Last Starfighter

Men in Black

Predator

Star Trek II, IV, VI, First Contact

Star Wars Eps. IV-VI

TRON

Western

A Fistful of Dollars

For a Few Dollars More

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Spaghetti Westerns kick ass!)

Tombstone

They Call Me Trinity (must-see Spaghetti Western)

Trinity is Still My Name (another must-see Spaghetti Western)

Edited by areaseven

I don't fall into a set type of movies. I love comedies like Mallrats and the Friday series, and I like dramas like Scarface (DVD coming out next week! JOY!!!), and Eve's Bayou. I also like the movies other people can't stand like UHF, and Dude, Where's my Car (Yes, I liked that movie). But two in particular touch my heart in ways that other movies have not. The two are Forrest Gump, and The Last Dragon.

I love all kinds of movies...except slow, drawn out yawn fests. My favorites...

1-Scarface

2-The Shining

3-One Flew Over the Cookoos Nest

4-A Few Good Men

5-8 Million Ways to Die

6-JFK

7-Enter the Dragon/Game of Death

8-Reservoir Dogs

9-Pulp Fiction

10-Full Metal Jacket

...and various Kung-Fu movies you probably never heard about :)

Game of Death

Game of Death had the potential to be a great Bruce Lee film, had he not died so suddenly before finishing it. The fights were awesome (especially Bruce vs. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) and nobody could ever forget him in the yellow biker suit (Tekken or Shaolin Soccer, anyone?), but everything fell apart when the film introduced some unnamed jabroni that looks nothing like Bruce to fill in the unfinished scenes.

Well here goes nothing...in no particular order, and within no particular genre:

1-Lord of Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring

2-Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

3-Blade II

4-Aliens

5-Macross Plus Movie Edition

6-Terminator Judgement Day

7-Big Trouble in Little China

8-John Carpenter's The Thing

9-John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness

10-Gladiator

11-Scarface

12 thru 14-The Indiana Jones Trilogy

15-Ronin

16-Transformers The Movie

17-Friday

18-From Dusk till Dawn

19-The Fifth Element

20-Face Off

21-Die Hard

22-The Best Man

23-Clerks

24-Escape from New York

25-Saving Private Ryan

Made a limit of (25) - otherwise I'd still be typing by the time this topic had sunk to page 2. ;)

-b.

Some of my favorites are:

Event Horizon

Soldier

Excalibur

Blade Runner (Original version, not director's cut)

Alien and Aliens

The Abyss (Extended version)

Star Trek: The Wrath of Kahn

The Empire Strikes Back

Apocalypse Now

Full Metal Jacket

Black Hawk Down

Saving Private Ryan

Gladiator

Braveheart

The Messenger (Milla Jovovich)

The Exorcist

Dirty Harry

Ben-Hur

Sixteen Candles

Weird Science

Top Secret

Don't Be A Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood

Die Hard

From Dusk Till Dawn

Logan's Run

Uncommon Valor

God, I could keep going...

Edited by Noriko Takaya

I tend to like movies that are dark in tone.  Movies like The Crow, Fight Club, Pitch Black, Grosse Point Blank.  The darker and more twisted, the better.

Ever seen Ichi the Killer?

I'm not even gonna post a link to the trailer, it'll get me banned... :ph34r:

Edit in:

For me, anything directed by David Cronenberg is good stuff. I have yet to see a movie he made that I didn't like. Too bad he's gone very indie these days, I had to catch his latest on DVD because so few theaters were showing it. I can understand why he doesn't like doing big studio movies... I think Paramount made him get a more mainstream composer (Michael Kamen, instead of his usual scorer Howard Shore, who's now an Oscar winner thanks to the LOTR trilogy) when he did The Dead Zone. Fox is still sitting on his Naked Lunch, not releasing it on DVD... :(

Ichi the killer! Ahhh! runs and Hides in closet. Actually that looks pretty disgusting!

Has anybody ever seen the Toxic Avenger. The best B movie EVAR!

Edited by scand

While we're on the subject of movies, I thought I'd pass on the news of the 25th Anniversary release of Alien: The Director's Cut, which is hitting theatres on October 29th. They will be showing the trailer to the upcoming Aliens Versus Predator movie during this release.

And if this has been announced before, just ignore me.

Source: 20th Century-Fox

Just to name a few in no particular order

Aliens (best movie ever!)

Gladiator

DYRL?

Slapshot

Full Metal Jacket

Predator

Austin Powers

Terminator (all three)

Saving Private Ryan

Forest Gump

Braveheart

Pulp fiction

Scarface

Godfather 1 and 2

Transformers the Movie

Event Horizon

Top Gun

Robocop

All the Monty Python movie

and a bunch more that I have forgot to mention

Some of my all-time favorites include:

Braveheart

Aliens

Spaceballs

Macross DYRL

Army of Darkness

Willow

the first 2 Halloweens

Gladiator

Snatch

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

and from my days of youth, the Transformers Movie.

to name a few.

Edit: Spelling. Again.

Edited by Anubis

While we're on the subject of movies, I thought I'd pass on the news of the 25th Anniversary release of Alien: The Director's Cut, which is hitting theatres on October 29th. They will be showing the trailer to the upcoming Aliens Versus Predator movie during this release.

And if this has been announced before, just ignore me.

Source: 20th Century-Fox

--- upcoming Aliens Versus Predator movie--- :o

Sweeeet. What movie news sites do you guys use? I haven't seen anything about AvP yet.

Edited by Anubis