Revenge of the Sith ROCKED! (spoiler free)

:lol: Yeah. Blue chic is trying to pull her lightsaber up and go out like Conehead... but the difference in Conehead's "success" in beginning to defend himself is probably why he's on the Jedi Council and she's not. The fact that Conehead was in a battle leading a charge and that Hot Blue Chic is walking around with hers might just be a coincidence, tho. ;)

Secura?  That sounds like a new Hyundai, not a character.  Twilek?  See, you can tell you're a little too "into this" when you assume that people have any idea what the hell a "twilek" is and that her name is anything other than a prototype 4 door sedan.

If you're more comfortable with "blue chick" and "conehead guy", we can do that. I can also refer to Vader as "black plastic man" and the Death Star as "big friggin laser ball" if it would help. :p

Blaine, you know I love ya! And I'm as lost with these Jedi names as you are. But I'm sure you'll admit that that was freakin' funny! :lol:

If you're more comfortable with "blue chick" and "conehead guy", we can do that. I can also refer to Vader as "black plastic man" and the Death Star as "big friggin laser ball" if it would help. :p

LOL... Point made... but c'mon... it's not as if they ever call her by name (whereas they say Death Star and Darth Vader about 8 million times)... do they? If they did, I'm sure I blanked it out as... uh, non important... which is kinda my point about the signifigance of her character to the grand scheme of things.

I'm now painfully aware of the errors of using Star Wars names in a Star Wars thread.

Oh, come on... don't get too pouty. I was just messin' with ya. ;)

I don't see anybody crying about the big forehead guy's demise.

Actually I'm happy with Conehead guy's death. His was probably the best of the Jedis'. We got a reaction. We got a vain fight. We got an inevitable ganking. In fact, Blue chick's death should be a little more like Conehead's in emotion and effect. But like I said earlier, changes to her scene might make them too similar, so something's needed to set them apart.

They're both background characters and they don't really matter except to illustrate that Jedis got whacked en masse. I seem to remember Conehead guy at least got to speak a few lines of dialogue - maybe that explains why more time was spent on his death.

Who cares?

The only reason you give a damn is because it was - underneath makeup and prosthetics - a hot chick. 

This just further illustrates the fact Star Wars fans are a very lonely bunch.  ;)  :p  :lol:

Thing is, I never thought she was all that, either in or out of makeup. "Hot" stays in quotes. I've always rolled my eyes at how enamored fans seem to be about the character. Yay, another busty blue tentacled chick. Woo. Could not care less.

But I do give a damn about story telling, about cinematography, and about effective use of apparently successful character designs. And I do care about giving fans a real reason to care about a character besides the fact that she's nicely put together.

Well... to be fair, she's better to look at than Conehead Guy, no? :p

My question is why are we supposed to care about these ancillary Jedi all?

I think they are essentially the same as Star Trek redshirts, ultimately. They stand around in the background, proving that the Jedi were numerous and varied, then they die. Point made.

I'd say Lucas focused his efforts on storytelling and character designs on the characters that actually speak more than once or twice.

This all very similar to the whining over Boba Fett's lame death in RotJ. Fans liked the character design and therefore thought he deserved better than his lame-o demise. They were wrong.

The scene was lacking to me because somehow, after all was said and done, I still didn't give a damn.  And given how much attention she's gotten, I keep feeling as if I should.  So I chose to point my blaming finger at the scene instead of the fans' collective lust-- however real and powerful a force the latter might be in elevating her significance, deserved or otherwise.

Okay. Then please explain to me her signifigance in the context of the prequel movies. Why is she such a special Jedi? I can't think of a single reason.

She dies a lame death in the movie, because she is NOT important. In EU comics, books... she might be... but the fact is Lucas didn't think much of her and she died like a really minor character should - very quickly.

That's not bad storytelling, that's the difference between the real movies and the EU.

She dies a lame death in the movie, because she is NOT important. In EU comics, books... she might be... but the fact is Lucas didn't think much of her and she died like a really minor character should - very quickly.

That's not bad storytelling, that's the difference between the real movies and the EU.

Much insight, Blaine has. To him, you listen. At least conehead/Ki Adi Mundi had dialog in all three films, where blue chick/Aayla had about three seconds of screen time and zero lines. She's just a nameless-but-recognizable Jedi to 99% of the filmgoers.

I do actually agree. She's not important in the scheme of things. I was just somehow lead to believe that she was, given all her hype, much of it from Lucas affiliated sources themselves. Basically her scene didn't live up to my expectations, but this isn't necessarily Lucas's fault.

Still though, although she's of minor import, there are still storytelling and presentation issues with the scene that I have, primarily surrounding the fact that it made me want to chuckle more than it made me feel any sort of sadness at her betrayal. Maybe I'm just twisted.

I actually kind of like Boba Fett's "death". The fact that he was apparently eaten by the Sarlacc is gruesome enough for me. I'm actually irate at his promotion to near-god and father of all things cool in Star Wars... he was a two bit character and I think that's where he should have stayed. Or at least he shouldn't have been tied incestuously to just about everything.

Well, I suppose I'd argue that the simple rule of minor character=minor death misses out on all sorts of opportunities to use their deaths in powerful ways to move the plot and convey greater emotion. The green tentacled dancer in Jabba's palace was an even lesser character than blue chick... but her death (and I don't mean how she dies in the SE, in the midst of a silly musical number) definitely had more impact, how ever little her total screentime was.

-Al

I actually kind of like Boba Fett's "death". The fact that he was apparently eaten by the Sarlacc is gruesome enough for me. I'm actually irate at his promotion to near-god and father of all things cool in Star Wars... he was a two bit character and I think that's where he should have stayed. Or at least he shouldn't have been tied incestuously to just about everything.

I actually agree with you there - Fett's importance in light of the prequels seems a bit overwrought, to me. Before the prequels he was a dingy bountyhunter with a kickass character design - nothing more, nothing less.

And I think the issue people had with his death, wasn't the Sarlacc - but the fact that a wild shot from a blinded Han Solo sent him to his relatively unimportant doom.

The biggest problem I have with Star Wars EU (aside from the apparent lack of quality control) is that it does tend to make too much of minor characters... but I guess that's bound to happen when you have a franchise as big as SW.

Hater -

Ki Adi Mundi? I'd think I'd rather be called Conehead. :lol:

And I think the issue people had with his death, wasn't the Sarlacc - but the fact that a wild shot from a blinded Han Solo sent him to his relatively unimportant doom.

The slapstick in Jedi was the problem in general. The slapstick being used to kill a very dangerous (and cool looking) villain was even worse. And, then, the Sarlaac burped.

As Irvin Kirshner said about Empire: "I knew we had to have humor, but not gags." That fell by the wayside in Jedi. And Fett's death epitomizes it.

'Nuff said.

The slapstick in Jedi was the problem in general. The slapstick being used to kill a very dangerous (and cool looking) villain was even worse. And, then, the Sarlaac burped.

As Irvin Kirshner said about Empire: "I knew we had to have humor, but not gags." That fell by the wayside in Jedi. And Fett's death epitomizes it.

'Nuff said.

Will you hate your own children?

Will you hate your own children?

Only if they are ugly.

P.S. Hey, I'm not bashing the Prequels or the Special Editions! This all happens in the original RotJ. I'm an equal-opportunity criticizer.

Edited by Hurin

I havn't seen the SE version of RotJ but I rather liked Boba Fett's death in the original. It conveys the simple fact of life that even the biggest badass can still die like a bitch.

I didn't really care about conehead or the blue chick's deaths. They conveyed the point well enough. My fav Jedi was the bug-eyed rasta-tenticle guy anyway. He had the honor of being slain in combat by the Emperor himself. ;)

My fav Jedi was the bug-eyed rasta-tenticle guy anyway. He had the honor of being slain in combat by the Emperor himself. ;)

kit fisto is his name! :D

the only thing is, hes actually supposed to be quite the bad ass yet he went out like a total punk....i think he blocked sidious twice before he got slashed. <_<

The biggest problem I have with Star Wars EU (aside from the apparent lack of quality control) is that it does tend to make too much of minor characters... but I guess that's bound to happen when you have a franchise as big as SW.

Well, I suppose it's kinda neat to delve into who minor characters are. Background's nice. But the EU tends to make nearly every character the most baddest arsest bounty hunter evar just reeks of so much munchkinism to me. Happened to Fett. And happened to certain cantina characters who I thought were just regular alien schmoes-- which to me was their entire appeal. It was Cheers in space, except we didn't know their name. Not the gathering of the most baddest mofos of the galaxy coincidentally at some seedy backwater bar.

The bigger problem I have with the EU elevating roles of characters is when they get worked back into the movies-- ie, Fett and family. Which happens to be just about everyone cool and intimidating in at least 6 movies that wears a plastic armor and a mask.

didn't really care about conehead or the blue chick's deaths. They conveyed the point well enough. My fav Jedi was the bug-eyed rasta-tenticle guy anyway. He had the honor of being slain in combat by the Emperor himself.

"Combat" implies a fight. That was no fight on his part. Sadly, watching the trailers I expected that segment to be a fantastic fight scene.

-Al

I finally got the chance to see it and I gotta say IT SUCKED! WHY!? BECAUSE JAR-JAR DIDN"T DIE THATS WHY!! lol Just kidding it rocked. This has got to be the most dark brutal SW film ever and I'm glad it is. Definantly not for the younglings to watch. Oh and the ARC-170 kicked ass too!

The ARC-170....the V wings and hell the jedi starfighters should have had some more screen time! I went into the movie kind of expecting anakin to show he was the best star fighter pilot in the galaxy as Obi wan told Luke in ANH. But all he did was do some fancy flying, blow up some destroyer and shoot off some buzz droids that were on Obi wans ship. I wanted to see more! (can you blame me,? Come on the jedi starfighter design looks cool!). All the space fighters in this one were awesome looking to me, shame we only see some in mere seconds of footage.

'Nuff said.

Amen.

As much as people (myself included) wanted to see Anakin prove himself as "the best starpilot in the galaxy" Aayla "blue chick" getting a better death scene and the Jedi posse enjoying a longer fight against Palpatine this would require a movie significantly longer than 2 1/2 hours. That wasn't gonna happen (unfortunately). How many of you would sit still for a three hour flick? Don't forget it's made with the kiddies in mind (a 2 1/2 hour commercial if you will). Hell if the movies good enough I'll sit for 4 but hopefully the deleted scenes will be worked into the full length DVD release.