Shoji Kawamori Patlabor Aircraft Designs

That is a sweet looking Eagle, I don't remember it in the movie though, I remember hte silohette of the F-16 upgrade but not this. The really neat thing about this is it isn't outside the realm of actual being plausible, I like it.

That is a sweet looking Eagle, I don't remember it in the movie though, I remember hte silohette of the F-16 upgrade but not this.  The really neat thing about this is it isn't outside the realm of actual being plausible, I like it.

I'm not completely sure, but I think this is the F-15 that was part of the "Dragon" flight (in the dub, anyway) that chased the phantom radar contact in Patlabor 2.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

That's nice to see the aircraft from Patlabor. I wasn't aware any lineart of the fighters from the second movie existed. I can see design lineages in this to the VF-11 in Macross Plus and the VF-0D in Macross Zero. Quite nice.

I think I'd like it more if they just ditched the front end and made it a "100% new, but very F-15-esque" design. As it is, it looks "too modified". As in, there's no point to either convert existing F-15's, nor re-design the F-15 and start building ones like this. The original design is compromised, and an all-new design along the same lines would be vastly superior. Also, some F-15 design elements are no longer needed, notably the h.stab dogtooth and the v.stab anti-flutter weights. They're now there simply to "look like an F-15" rather than any aerodynamic reason.

Finally--while I'm all for "more control surfaces=better" this does seem a bit excessive, especially in pitch---4 large all-moving canted stabs, and canards, and vectoring. If the lower pair was ventral fins (as they should be at this point I think, going back to the 2nd-to-last F-15 design) it'd be better, but it looks like everything on the tail is of movable slab construction.

Nice, too bad you have to set an alarm clock to wake you up at the precise time that it appears in the movie.

Come to think of it, you'd need another one set for the very brief labor action that takes place too. I love Patlabor, but the second movie just bores me to tears.

Looks like the gun is deleted enirely to make room for the hydraulic servos in the area the canard sits on.

I think their call signs in the movie were Wizard and Priest. the nonexistent 16s were wyvern

The gun is on the right side. You can see the exhaust vents after the canards in the plan view.

I think those vents are purely a visual holdover from the original F-15, just like the v.stab fintips. Maybe it's got a new gun, but there's no room at all for an M61A1 in there. The canard is EXACTLY where the muzzle should be. I mean, it's also got the standard F-15 TACAN antenna, but I would presume that's only because it's fairly visible on the real thing, not because in the Macross universe they specifically designed this plan intending to use that navigation system. Lack of a visible muzzle/cutout (plus the location of the canards) says far more than the presence of vents IMHO.

That "Night Falcon" seems even more "changed just for the sake of changing" than the F-15. Looks rather F-22 esque, especially the nose.

Every Block 40/42 specific feature is either missing or obliterated due to changes though, can't really tell why you'd call it a Night Falcon at that point. (Night Falcon=F-16CG=Block 40/42)

Looks like the gun is deleted enirely to make room for the hydraulic servos in the area the canard sits on.

I think their call signs in the movie were Wizard and Priest. the nonexistent 16s were wyvern

My bad - for some reason I had "Dragon" in my head. Funny how you think you know things...

Nanashino

I know where the gun is on the 15 i work on the thing every day. Those vents are just to purge out gasses from the gun firing and allow airflow to cool it. Although the airframe is heavily redesigned it makes sense to not modify a panel if it works as it should. But in the line art above if a gun were to be installed there would be no rom for an actuating servo hence why the gun is deleted. I think the detail was left in for just that, detail.

Edited by HWR MKII

That "Night Falcon" seems even more "changed just for the sake of changing" than the F-15. Looks rather F-22 esque, especially the nose.

Every Block 40/42 specific feature is either missing or obliterated due to changes though, can't really tell why you'd call it a Night Falcon at that point. (Night Falcon=F-16CG=Block 40/42)

Don't forget the internal launchers and vectored exhaust nozzle. The Night Falcon is stealthy. This could be the reason for the name.

Night Falcon ALREADY is a name for a specific type of real F-16. The Block 40/42. Particularly those in USAF service. (IAF Block 40's lack the WAR HUD, which is fairly important to night ops) I doubt the "USAF Improved Night Falcon" description was sheer chance, I think they intend that this is an upgraded USAF Night Falcon, not a generic F-16 upgraded and re-named. "Night" Falcon isn't nearly as famous as "Strike" Eagle, but it is a often used term for a specific variant.

Night Falcon is more commonly known as the F-16CG. (Or the occasional F-16DG). Strangely, I don't think the F-16CJ has a nickname. Wild Weasel is the mission, not the plane in that case AFAIK. Weasel Falcon? :)

Edited by David Hingtgen

Night Falcon ALREADY is a name for a specific type of real F-16. The Block 40/42. Particularly those in USAF service. (IAF Block 40's lack the WAR HUD, which is fairly important to night ops) I doubt the "USAF Improved Night Falcon" description was sheer chance, I think they intend that this is an upgraded USAF Night Falcon, not a generic F-16 upgraded and re-named. "Night" Falcon isn't nearly as famous as "Strike" Eagle, but it is a often used term for a specific variant.

Night Falcon is more commonly known as the F-16CG. (Or the occasional F-16DG). Strangely, I don't think the F-16CJ has a nickname. Wild Weasel is the mission, not the plane in that case AFAIK. Weasel Falcon? :)

Yes you are right.

That is some improvement.... lots of differences.

• 3 months later...