YF-21 Gerwalk WTF!?

Arkham

Greetings macross freeks B))

I would like to ask some technical crap...

we all have seen those VF-1 and YF-19 Gearwalk modes.. and their "suspension" seems quite natural.. booster on the legs so there´s no trouble for hover...

But I keep looking at the YF-21 Gearwalk mode and I just can´t get how does it make it :blink:

The booster are kept in its top pointing backwards, and there isn´t any kind of propulsion on their legs AFAIK.

So... How does it hover?? (if it does hover....) :huh:

Thanks...

?

You could have probably posted in the newbie thread as it won't take long to answer.

The legs have nozzles for VTOL (mentioned in the lineart) and there are a series of slits for VTOL on the underfuselage where the legs were in fighter mode.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...yf21/index.html

Check the YF-21 Gerwalk lineart and you can clear see the shutters on the underside of the two main engines. These shutters open to direct thrust dowards for hovering.

The Macross Compendium has the following to say: -

"Two banks of pivoting underfuselage slits acting as main nozzles for VTOL hovering in GERWALK mode".

Graham

I think "vanes" would be a better term than shutters. Going by other jet thrust vectoring, etc. The real-world thing most similar to the YF-21's is the F-15S/MTD's vanes for creating reverse thrust. "Cascades" would also be acceptable, if not looking like a typical cascade arrangement.

Edited by David Hingtgen

If it were real and if somebody parked a yf21 in gerwalk mode, I would be very nervous to step anywhere near underneath it. :D Especially during an earthquake.

or in a stiff breeze... err... any breeze for that matter.

Better not even breathe near it :D

Graham

Edited the thread title to correct the spelling of 'Gearwalk'.

I can't stand spelling mistakes on the thread titles. Any Row-Boat-Tekkies visiting these forums will see them and think we are a bunch of tards who can't spell correctly :p

Graham