Just watched macross plus again

NERV

i havent watched it in over a year, seeing it again, it just amazing, the speed and maneuverablity of the 19 and 21 is just amazing, if they were real planes, even if they werent trandformable and planes only, i would join the airforce right now just for the chance to pilot one

Really? I just watched yesterday too! I just got the movie version, since I found it for a really good price, and just had to see what was different about it. Actually, I like the OVAs better.... But yes, what a sweet incarnation of the series.

Really? I just watched yesterday too! I just got the movie version, since I found it for a really good price, and just had to see what was different about it. Actually, I like the OVAs better.... But yes, what a sweet incarnation of the series.

I think somewhere in between is best, but of the 2 existing versions of the story, I prefer the movie.

And yah, it's an incredible production.

i havent watched it in over a year, seeing it again, it just amazing, the speed and maneuverablity of the 19 and 21 is just amazing, if they were real planes, even if they werent trandformable and planes only, i would join the airforce right now just for the chance to pilot one

Yeah but they are only test planes and you might die if something goes wrong. Think of how many people died on the project before Isamu became test pilot?

I think the the movie version is better than the ova: More violence and you get to see lucy's titties. jk Characters have a bit more depth.

But the OVA has that cool opening battroid fight with the zentradi.

They should make a "special edition" movie with extended scenes form the ova imo.

-A naked lucy shower scene jk

-more of the scene from the start of the ova

-Have a better ending : show what happens after the incident: who won the competition?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Yeah but they are only test planes and you might die if something goes wrong. Think of how many people died on the project before Isamu became test pilot?

I think the the movie version is better than the ova: More violence and you get to see lucy's titties. jk Characters have a bit more depth.

But the OVA has that cool opening battroid fight with the zentradi.

They should make a "special edition" movie with extended scenes form the ova imo.

-A naked lucy shower scene jk

-more of the scene from the start of the ova

-Have a better ending : show what happens after the incident: who won the competition?

Lucy's boobs DID factor in for me, actually. It made that whole "I don't own you, I'm sorry I didn't tell you about Myung" thing make more sense.

In the OVA, best guess was that she was some sort of psycho stalker that snuck into his home and deleted his answering machine messages.

It also left us with a reason for Isamu to sit there taking Guld's abuse when Guld accused him of not being there for Myung after the fire. If he responded to the message, and got tied up in a high-speed police chase trying to get there, he'd snap back at Guld. But if he ignored the message for some fun in the sack, he's got no defense.

While I'm poking holes, as much as I love the testflight sequences, and the bonehead battroid battle, the whole "stick live ammo in the YF-19's gun, then snatch it and shoot Isamu so you can blame him and Yang for attempted murder" routine REALLY tested my ability to suspend disbelief.

The movie going straight from Guld crashing Isamu's VF-11 to the hospital just worked better.

so how si the story different in the movie? i assume it was just added scenes, didnt tihnk anything would be taken out

The movie story is much tighter, has a lot better pacing, and is all around better. The OVAs just didn't flow at all and suffer from unnecessary scenes.

so how si the story different in the movie? i assume it was just added scenes, didnt tihnk anything would be taken out

Well, 4 OVA eps. at 35 minutes cannot fit into one 115 minute movie.

They cut some stuff out, but they also added/replaced a scene or two.

The story is the same though.

The movie was entirely redubbed too, wasn't it? I swear, I just kept thinking "hey, I know he said that line with a different tone before!".

I thought that the OVAs only came out dubbed, while the movie only came out subbed (I am referring to American releases here). So if my memory serves correctly, things should have sounded pretty different between versions, but not because it was redubbed.

The movie was entirely redubbed too, wasn't it? I swear, I just kept thinking "hey, I know he said that line with a different tone before!".

I thought that the OVAs only came out dubbed, while the movie only came out subbed (I am referring to American releases here). So if my memory serves correctly, things should have sounded pretty different between versions, but not because it was redubbed.

OVA came out both ways. Movie was japanese only.

I thought he meant the original dialouge recording.

Yeah, I mean the Japanese dialouge. I don't think the movie had an English version anyway.

Lets not forget the contribution of a little lady with a thing for straw bonnets - lets hear it for the...

KANNO!

The pop tracks are, of course, superb - Voices, the dirty chat of Idol Talk, and it will be a long time before I see anything that matches the excitement of Information High (when matched to the re-entry scene), but I also really like Fly Up To The Air - Tension, possibly the ultimate sonic realisation of the joy of flight...

Hmmm "hello"??

I´m really wondering why does anybody haven´t mentioned yet Guld´s death??

You really can´t compare that OVA "WHOOPS I crash with a plane" with the MOVIE "I let you think you kill me, dodge anything you can trow at me =)"

?

Roy, I heard the DVD version of the movie was not good. Someone said it was just a straight port to DVD, it wasn't enhanced in any way. You might be able to get the VHS pretty cheap though.

Yeah the Manga DVD lacks picture quality compared to the OVA, it isn't to bad. I do like the sound better than the OVA. It is also much brighter looking.

"I let you think you kill me, dodge anything you can trow at me =)"

The result was still the same. He had to crash the plane and wreck his own body to do it. Any stealth features still didn't help him beat a sharon-apple-piloted ghost drone which could travel at whatever speed it wanted without concern for a pilot's body.

Valks = obsolete B))

The only thing UN SPACY needs humans for is to sing, since they failed to make a computer sing by itself in macross plus to beat the protodevlin. This is why I think Kawamori may be trying to make humans useful by giving them some other purpose by creating the anima spiritua thing in mac7.

Like I said in another thread the next generation valks should be piloted by cyborgs who communicate wirelessly with the machine so they can travel at greater speed to fight any future anti-un enemy drones, while also being able to sing to fight rebel zentradi. :D

With the soon global introduction of the "mark of the beast" chip, people will be able to open thier garage and car doors with thier minds, (wirelessly) and soldiers will use this to synthesise the gundam newtype pilot's abilities in anime.. :D (That rich blonde chic who wears the VR helmet to control/pilot teams of "mobile dolls" in Gundam Wing will soon happen in the future)

So you see, control of mechs will mimmick that of sara's control of aphos or sharon apple's hacking of the sdf1. ;)

We are beyond the age of AI and moving towards the new age of mind-machine interface. It's just a matter of convincing you of the advantages of taking the mark that will evolve your abilities. Since most businesses will want to save money, it can be predicted you won't be able to buy/sell or do certain things if you don't have your mind link to a global supercomputer which will automate everything for convenience.

There probably won't be room for "oldtypes" since these will be superceded by more productive and efficient newtypes. Man will have to fight the machines (for a reason to exist) just as it is depicted in appleseed where the superior class of people no longer look to the outdated ones as relevent in society. :D (eg. how they purposely put a steering wheel on the hover car just ot make us feel better when they didn't need to - humans will be treated by cyborgs like retards who need everyone's help lol)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Yeah, I mean the Japanese dialouge. I don't think the movie had an English version anyway.

Yes, definitely. I am not sure why this had to be done. But I'm willing to guess it's something like the actors weren't gonna be paid enough to just do a couple of new lines for the extra movie scenes, so they had to do the whole thing over again.

I saw the movie almost 7 years ago and it still strikes me as a masterpiece of anime. Enhanced or not, the movie on DVD is a must have...

You really can´t compare that OVA "WHOOPS I crash with a plane" with the MOVIE "I let you think you kill me, dodge anything you can trow at me =)"

Agreed. I gained so much more respect for the YF-21 after seeing the movie than I had after seeing the OVA. The fact that you can eject the arms and legs and still have a fully bad-ass fighter is just too cool. I know this happened in the OVA too, but it just wasn't very well illustrated. Infact, I only knew to look for it in the OVA after seeing the movie.

• 4 weeks later...

Let's see. 35 minutes times 4 episodes equal 140 minutes altogether.

Man, that's 20 mintues longer than DYRL. :blink:

The movie story is much tighter, has a lot better pacing, and is all around better. The OVAs just didn't flow at all and suffer from unnecessary scenes.

Another thing that differentiates the two is that the OVA had the sweet battle between vf-11s and the renagade power armours at the start of vol.1. The ova also featured the battroid brawls, one one the city mock-up at eden and the second one is on eath as seen in the movie edition.