What is lying on your workbench?

Those look great neptunesurvey!

It was just a few weeks ago that I first saw a pic of a Legioss in soldier mode attached to a tread, I have never watched Mospeada and I did not know they can combine in that way.

Both models are very impressive, especially when seen side by side. I woudn´t mind some detail shots :)

I love the Legioss design and have all 3(X3) versions in 1/72 , just no time to build them :( never bothered to get a tread but now I know I´ll have to get at least one in the future...

Those are cool Neptune, I assume they're the standard 1/72 scale ones but did you just mod the tread to fit the alpha in battroid mode or is that a new kit?

352635[/snapback]

No, the kit is not new. The Legioss fighter and soldier are both Imai 1/72 kits. I did not really modifiy the tread at all. All I did was drill two small holes at the end of the extension mount, and into the groin area of the soldier. Then I secured the two pieces together by using paper clips as pins.

To get the fighter to fit right requires a little trimming of the arm sections to fit in the same area. The fit is so tight that the fighter is not even glued to the kit and the extension mount almost fits perfectly underneath.

Those look great neptunesurvey!

It was just a few weeks ago that I first saw a pic of a Legioss in soldier mode attached to a tread, I have never watched Mospeada and I did not know they can combine in that way.

Both models are very impressive, especially when seen side by side. I woudn´t mind some detail shots  :) 

I love the Legioss design and have all 3(X3) versions in 1/72 , just no time to build them  :(  never bothered to get a tread but now I know I´ll have to get at least one in the future...

352537[/snapback]

Here are a couple of more pictures of the kit. You can see the rest at starshipmodeler.com. Its in the Leggs Contest.

post-1196-1134691299_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what's on the Macross shelf of my workbench....

VF-0A w/Ghost

VF-0A_Parts_01.jpg

VF-0S

VF-0S_Fuselage_01.jpg

VF-1S

VF-1S_Forward_Fuselage_01.jpg

VF-1S_Fuselage_01.jpg

VF-1S_Wings_01.jpg

VF-1S_parts_01.jpg

These pix are somewhat dated as I've done most of the decaling on the main fuselage and wings. I'll post those pix ASAP

VF-1A

- Unknown squadron - suggestions?

VF-19A

- Fuselage subassembly constructed and pre-shaded

- Wings pre-shaded

VF-22S

- Fuselage subassembly constructed

- Wing subassemblies constructed

- Tail subassemblies constructed

SV-51 (2)

Not started

VE-1

Not Started

Since I started more or less fresh with my model building this summer, and I tend to drop kits in production whenever I get a new one, I've got thirty-something in-progress kits going at the moment - about half modern helicopters, and the rest modern jet fighters.

Let's see...

A VF-0A with Ghost, which is currently lacking legs and stabs because I need to decal the former before adding them. Don't look too closely at the bottom, the seams were pretty horrible and it didn't seem to matter how much I sanded, since the paint brought them out in sharp relief anyway. AARGH.

A JASDF F-2A maritime strike fighter, which is looking terribly blue at the moment. It needs some green camo paint, but I haven't found a good color match yet.

An RAF Tornado GR.1, which may end up as a GR.4. No paint on this one yet - actually, since I'm not done with the 'pit, I haven't even assembled the nose section yet. The kit is positively awesome, though - nicest kit I've seen so far this year. Falls together, and looks like it was 1/32 scale.

An F-14B Tomcat, which is in decalling, and will probably stay that way for a while since there were quite a lot of those... It's being done up as the VF-102 CO jet, on one of their last cruises.

An F/A-18E, also in VF-102 livery, and also in decalling. The biggest uncertainty here is which cruise it's supposed to be from, and what ordnance to use - there's so much to choose from...

Another F-14, this one built as a "D" prototype, but painted as an F-15E. This is what happens when I get up in the morning and find that my bright white aircraft that I painted the night before is now cream colored, almost beige. It looks much more amusing like this.... I've actually got Gulf War squdron CO markings on it, and stencils from three different sources, including my one aftermarket sheet (a Superscale sheet that must've slipped through quality control since the colors have run all over the place)

...and assorted other stuff. (I could sit here all night listing kits in some stage of construction - everything from a tiny OH-58D Kiowa Warrior in need of new decals, to a CH-53E Super Stallion which is the wrong shade of gray, and a brace of French air force fighters, and a Gripen, and half a dozen European helicopters of various makes and sizes...)

SP

• 2 weeks later...
Kylwell,

Saw the rusted Zaku on SSM and it looks great! Congratulations on placing in the

"Legs" contest as well.

Metal Fatigue

358047[/snapback]

Thank you. Still want to do a recovered Val. Wings ripped off, body crumpled, rusted all to heck.

One day.

In the meantime a friend of mine challenged me to build a VF-22s in a Luftwaffe scheme (he's doing a VF1 in Spitfire livery).

post-2651-1136684724_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kylwell

In the meantime a friend of mine challenged me to build a VF-22s in a Luftwaffe scheme (he's doing a VF1 in Spitfire livery).

358302[/snapback]

I love that! I was thinking of doing something like that myself, but you beat me too it!

358559[/snapback]

Feel free, jump on in. There's always Japanese, Italian, and Russian schemes.

358578[/snapback]

It's funny you mention that --

I've been meaning to ask; why do so many modelers go after "enemy" paint schemes? Especially some of the most despised enemies in history?

I wonder if people feel embarassed when showing off their German (nazi!) markings.

Personally, I think it's more of an appreciation of the talent that went into those designs. No one argue that the Luftwaffe didn't have impressive airplanes. Yet most people abhor ANYTHING related to Nazi German or WWII Japan. Modelers don't seem to have any qualms about it.

Any insights?

My model table has a 1/2-finished custom-scheme 3-mode Alpha fighter, and 3 VF-2SS, to varying degrees of completion. 1 is the normal variant, and the other 2 will be customs.

Edited by Jedi Knight

358578[/snapback]

It's funny you mention that --

I've been meaning to ask; why do so many modelers go after "enemy" paint schemes? Especially some of the most despised enemies in history?

I wonder if people feel embarassed when showing off their German (nazi!) markings.

Personally, I think it's more of an appreciation of the talent that went into those designs. No one argue that the Luftwaffe didn't have impressive airplanes. Yet most people abhor ANYTHING related to Nazi German or WWII Japan. Modelers don't seem to have any qualms about it.

Any insights?

358698[/snapback]

Yes. One is that model builders tend to buck trends and be more indiviualistic. Another is the incredible amount of 'hero' models out there. Even another is that the 'bad guy' schemes are rarely done at all and have barely been investigated by over half of the model builders out there. Also many model builders don't look any further then the designs themselves, whilest others disregard the philosiphy(spl) backing there designs. B))

Yet most people abhor ANYTHING related to Nazi German or WWII Japan.  Modelers don't seem to have any qualms about it.

358698[/snapback]

... or it could just be that the Corsair is the only sexy WWII allied 'plane people can name, but nearly every well-known axis bird has something going for it one way or another. ;P

(Personally, I have a real thing for the Shinden, and I think they built something like two of those... ;-)

I'm in the middle of buying a house, I packed a load of my modelling stuff away for christmas and now I don't want to get it out again only to have to pack it away when I move... so I'm limited to sheet styrene and putty, at the moment.

Nevertheless, I spend a weekend watching Macross TV and I get to thinkin'...

20060116a.jpg

Can you tell what it is yet?

OK, a bit of a clue:

20060116b.jpg

I've never done any sculpting entirely out of milliput before, so I don't expect him to turn out very well, but... well, it's something to do. And there doesn't seem to be nearly enough Global love goin' around. The guy is awesome, how has he not got as many garage kits in his image as Minmay?

Hmm... still needs more chin... :/

[EDIT: Actually, while I'm here, I've been meaning to ask this for ages - how the hell do you people manage to keep your cutting mats so damned clean?! ;-)]

[EDITEDIT: more chin... ;-)]

Edited by Sar

The Perfect Milia VF-1J Death Baroness, Last Battle, Episode 27, Hase 1/72 Battroid.

Well its been over a year since I made a Macross kit. So I figured this is one I have been wanting to do for a LONG time.

So far so good :D

DSC01436a.JPG

and a close up of the Arms

DSC01438a.JPG

Going to take a while. Prob a few months. But Damn she going to be a killer!

:p

Ranger565

I wish I could change something on my workspace. Maybe cleaning up would do. the last few months nothing has changed except for the dust wish becomes thicker every week.

post-1730-1137966530_thumb.jpg

post-1730-1137967865_thumb.jpg

Edited by TSP

Hey TSP,

That's exactly what I've been doin.' Working On my workbench. I've had to put everything down and spend some bucks on it. I took my awesome little Microlux 11" x11" tablesaw and sunk it into a butcher's block table for more work space. I'm ripping a bunch of sheet parts for a 6 foot Daedalus model and had no place to do it (neccesity is the mother of invention they say). I then had to build a new rip fence for that. I also got a 10" disc sander as my birthday/Christmas present. Then I had to fix the folding front end of my work bench because it got warped a little with age. I also built a small hand pinvise drill for more accurate cutting of those small parts. My workbench has been on my workbench I guess you could say. Now I can get back to plastics, it's Daedalus time! I ripped some sheet parts just yesterday.

Take a step back and see what you can do. I bought all of my stuff in bits over the years. I'm using cheap ole' plastic drawers to the side of my workbech, but they work great! Get a cheap table of any kind to work on to "expand" your area.

Edited by MechTech

IM BACK EVERYBODY!

I dont have anything new just yet but rest assured i will. My wife got me 13 new kits for christmas, best among them are the fine molds falcon, MSLZ X wing and the VF-0 W boosters. Its good to be back everybody. Now where did i put my glue <_<

Edited by HWR MKII

IM BACK EVERYBODY!

I dont have anything new just yet but rest assured i will. My wife got me 13 new kits for christmas, best among them are the fine molds falcon, MSLZ X wing and the VF-0 W boosters. Its good to be back everybody. Now where did i put my glue <_<

364157[/snapback]

Welcome Back HWR MKII! Man that must be awesome coming back home and finding the falcon under the tree!

Nice panther Neptune. Im glad this thread is still around after being gone for 4 months.

364322[/snapback]

Welcome back man.

Nice panther Neptune. Im glad this thread is still around after being gone for 4 months.

364322[/snapback]

Hey you're back! how was... uh... wherever they sent you?

Anyway welcome back