What is lying on your workbench?

Which kind of F-15+ is it ? I finished a Su-47 AFDelta style two month ago and was planning to build a F-15 MT/+ seen in Patlabor 2. But I got distracted by E-Indigo's Delphinus#3 Radical-103. Both kits been build but I'm too lazy to spray a bit colour on it. The same maltreatment on Trumpeter's 1/144 Su-34 Strike Flanker. Build 'n primed.

Right now I'm detailing a 1/144 VF-19kai Fire Valk /w Soundbooster.

313428[/snapback]

Well all I really did was cannibalize an old F/A-18 and F-15C kit I built as a kid and were collecting dust (they were covered in dust bunnies), so it's more like the F-15S/MTD from Delta Strike and Ace Combat 3.

My workbench? Ha! I haven't sat there in eight years --- I've been (literally) 2000 miles away from it 99% of the time! (I changed from U.S. west coast to east coast almost seven years ago. Also I got married within that time frame.)

I yearn to start my hobby again!

Thanks Berttt. im just making the limbs for now. I need to get to a hobby shop nex saturday to get some box shaped styrene rod and more round rod for all the joints for the arms and legs. This is my first scratch build in almost 10 years so i apologize if the quality seems a little rusty. Just because im making one doesnt mean you shouldnt try. Yours will probably turn ot better :D

I know im not the only one here building anything guys lets see some stuff. even if its been sitting for 5 years.

Edited by HWR MKII

This is my first scratch build in almost 10 years so i apologize if the quality seems a little rusty.

313710[/snapback]

Man, it looks pretty nice from here, from what I can see. How are you finding conversion from a papercraft to plastic? It's always looked like one of those things that ought to be pretty straightforward... but I don't know how stuff like sheet styrene being thicker than paper and more resistant to curving might get in the way.

Speaking of which, actually... how did you go about making the radar cover? It's the kind of shape I'd be looking for a pre-fab piece for, I can't think where I'd start on something like that...

I know im not the only one here building anything guys lets see some stuff. even if its been sitting for 5 years.

313710[/snapback]

All my workbench time over the last week or so has been spent sculpting figures, but in deference to the Valkyrie I'm kind of just started building I did a practice build of a Revell Hornet to get back into aircraft modelling after years of nothing but mecha... in retrospect I think I must have been six the last time I actually finished an aircraft kit with paint and decals and everything. ;-)

I don't know why, but I've always really liked the Hornet, although those boxy intakes on the Super Hornet killed the aesthetic for me. :/ The valk is my first exposure to photoetched parts so I'll still have something to mess up terribly... not to mention that I'm still not happy with the cockpit at all. I blame the poor casting! ;-)

post-2698-1122277903_thumb.jpg

Heres a couple of crappy photos of my Revell (old Monagram mold) 1/48 scale Hind D. This bad boy has been on the bench since January 2003 and is still not finished. I seem to haven issue with actually putting those finishing touches on models.

hind10xr.th.jpg hind23sk.th.jpg hind31bm.th.jpg

And a couple of my 1/72 scale Babylon 5 StarFury. I have rescribed it in fictional detail. Really this is just a scribing excercise as I have never done it before.

fury11ee.th.jpg fury28ui.th.jpg

Cheers,

Berttt

Hey sar. The radar dish was made out of flat sheet plastic. I just used the paper version as a template. It came out alot better than i thought it would. Im not having too much trouble adjusting for plastic thickness.

Your figurs sculpt looks realy good, I wish i could do something that small.

Berttt what paint scheme are you going to do the star fury up in?

Flying tigers will be cool to see. Speaking of something to see. Rex update,Head done, Radar and arm Done. Started on rail gun main body and groin/hip piece. I gave the finished pieces a good coat of primer to show the scribed details.

post-2293-1122333441_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1122333460_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1122333480_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1122333502_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1122333521_thumb.jpg

The guns and what will be light clusters are styrene tube. The 2 dish shaped pieces are rejected exauhst nozzles from a vacform 1/18 scale jedi starfighter. I got the starfighter from a friend at starshipmodeler.com. the starfighters are for a later date :D

HWR,

Can you give me the diameter of the radar front round piece at 1/48th scale? I'm trying to figure the plans out for 1/35th so I need a percentage to print out for templates at 1/35th. It would look so cool next to a humvee, abrams, the aliens apc, the battletech mad cat, etc.

I'm definately in for a kit if you make one...

Thanks for any help...

:)

-THOR

Edited by THOR

Actually 1/48 was too large an estimate and also would have produced too large a model for my shelves. So i decided to print out the paper on A3 format. After building the head and with some careful wiggling i say that it builds out close to 1/72. The model in 1/72 is still a great size for detail. Im still tossing around the idea of making a missile port or 2 open on its legs or back. I have just completed the lower run of the rail gun and am waiting for it to dry before i go into scribing the detail onto it. Thus far it is coming out way better than i had hoped and do not want to screw anything up. I still have a 72 scale hummer and abrams laying around from another project that i may be able to use somehow.

Good luck in trying it out n 1/35 scale it will be a monster. If you need any ideas on how to get through a area of construction just send me a PM and ill see if i can help. the diameter of the radar in 1/72 scale is 1 3/4 inches. thats the backside plate of the radar at its widest point

Edited by HWR MKII

HWR,

Thanks for the help! I figure your radar back face in 1/35th would be 3.6". I printed the paper out on a D size paper (22 x 34).

I'll try making the head/torso tonight

post-1862-1122396694_thumb.jpg

Edited by THOR

heres my reference material. I pulled it off a lightwave 3d render site these are not my pics. The person who made it said he took alot of liberties from the origional design to make this work in 3D space. Im using it to help if i get trapped. Most of the basic details are there and the under side of the head seems to work compared to the game screengrabs i could find.

post-2293-1122412659_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1122412674_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1122412693_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1122412710_thumb.jpg

Finished: Canadair Saber done up in Bluenose squadron colours. No pics as the plane went straight away to my Dad's nightstand at the Hospice (he wasn't involved in the squadron, but I made it to cheer him up). Airbrushed and sealed with a semi-gloss coat. When I get it back home (don't know when), I'll take pictures of it.

Working on: Old 1:100 Nu Gundam. Looks nice (and lots of pre-MG features), but it's going to need some additional weights in the feet so it won't tip with all the extra weight on the back. I'm having some minor parts fit problems. Not warping, but there's about a 1/2 mm step in between some parts. Lots of sanding needed...

Edited by VF-19

post-2845-1122465403_thumb.jpgA little spaceship I did as a commision just before my holiday - I needed the money <_< Took me only two days but came out well.

This is the Toybox from the Planetes manga/anime (actually I think it is the anime version but I don´t know much about it).

It is a 1/500 resin kit from Platz - only 12cm long and the same price as for their 1/72 Yukikaze planes! :blink: so the kit costs about EURO 8,30 per centimeter - crazy but now that I´ve built it I know why. I have never had a better cast/engineered resin kit in my hands - perfect fit, almost no sprue gates, no air bubbles, perfect assembly instructions with lots of sketches, decals by Cartograf, cast metal parts, Photoetch parts, lots of options for retracted/extended bits and pieces all over. These guys at Platz scare me...how do they get the resin into the molds?

I was not too crazy about the strictly utilitarian design but it grew on me as I built it. When it was finished I began thinking of buying one for my own shelf, but I find it still too pricey :(

honneamise, excellent work on the Toybox. I' still tempted to buy a FAND from Platz.

Here's a pic of a scratchbuild Rex. I have no information where it's from. If someone wants to build a large scale Rex, I recommend the Metal Gear Solid Artbook, it has tons of detail drawings. The CG version seems to be a little off the original's proportions.

-i-

post-1187-1122483513_thumb.jpg

That rex is actually the preproduction maquette used in making the game. The paper model is based off the proportions of the game but is limited in detail because of the medium. Im just using the 3D rendered images for fine detail references to make hip and arm joints that look functional. How is yours coming along Thor?

That space craft from planetes is awesome. I have volume 1 of the anime and it looks like it will be a good series.

I' still tempted to buy a FAND from Platz.

-i-

314724[/snapback]

Do you mean the Yukikaze FAND II from Platz? I hear those Platz Yukikaze kits are very very very nice.

314740[/snapback]

I have all three Yukikaze kits from Platz and yes they're unbelievable. The gray resin looks like injected plastic.

-i-

314724[/snapback]

Do you mean the Yukikaze FAND II from Platz? I hear those Platz Yukikaze kits are very very very nice.

314740[/snapback]

I have all three Yukikaze kits from Platz and yes they're unbelievable. The gray resin looks like injected plastic.

314959[/snapback]

What about the canopies? In pics of finished kits they seem to be opaque or sometimes they look as if cast in a solid block of tinted clear resin. Is there really no detailed cockpit? I remember the Bandai EX 1/100 had cockpit details but on the whole looked less impressive with a toylike landing gear. I haven´t seen the series yet so the non-see-through cockpit may be correct, just wanted to know what to expect.

Platz make excellent models, my first one was a 1/144 Mustang I built a few months ago. Detailed like a 1/72 or 1/48 with decals for five different machines!

post-2845-1122528780_thumb.jpg

-i-

314724[/snapback]

314740[/snapback]

314959[/snapback]

What about the canopies? In pics of finished kits they seem to be opaque or sometimes they look as if cast in a solid block of tinted clear resin. Is there really no detailed cockpit? I remember the Bandai EX 1/100 had cockpit details but on the whole looked less impressive with a toylike landing gear. I haven´t seen the series yet so the non-see-through cockpit may be correct, just wanted to know what to expect.

Platz make excellent models, my first one was a 1/144 Mustang I built a few months ago. Detailed like a 1/72 or 1/48 with decals for five different machines!

post-2845-1122528780_thumb.jpg

315032[/snapback]

Yeah I'm not crazy about how they did the canopy/cockpits, they are either encapsulated within a chunk of clear plastic or they're non-existent. But I still think they're awesome.