Best Movie Badguy of all time?

I'm disappointed with those who voted for Darth Vader, as they're forgetting who made him in the first place: Emperor Palpatine. Without Palpatine, Anakin Skywalker would've been a lost Jedi with no real cause, not to mention a whiny b!tch for the rest of his life. You talk about Vader destroying planets and killing billions of lives, yet you forget that in the end, he was nothing more than a mere hired gun.

Therefore, Palpatine rules all.

palpatine-4335.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

They just showed Superman II: "the Donner Cut" on TV a couple days ago. Hasn't aged all that well; it's actually a pretty cheesy flick, in retrospect. But Zod should get an honorable mention for a noteworthy badguy. His calloused indifference towards humanity and desire to conquer or kill all he encounters make him pretty despicable. Terrence Stamp did an excellent job, brings the quintessential comic-book supervillian to the screen..."I am General Zod. Your ruler. Yes, today begins a new order. Your lands, your possessions, your very lives, will gladly be given in tribute to me, General Zod! In return for your obedience you will enjoy my generous protection. In other words you will be allowed to live."

I've always had a thing for "bad girls." I remember, even as a kid, thinking Ursa was way hotter than Lois Lane. ;)

Edited by reddsun1

They just showed Superman II: "the Donner Cut" on TV a couple days ago. Hasn't aged all that well; it's actually a pretty cheesy flick, in retrospect. But Zod should get an honorable mention for a noteworthy badguy. His calloused indifference towards humanity and desire to conquer or kill all he encounters make him pretty despicable. Terrence Stamp did an excellent job, brings the quintessential comic-book supervillian to the screen..."I am General Zod. Your ruler. Yes, today begins a new order. Your lands, your possessions, your very lives, will gladly be given in tribute to me, General Zod! In return for your obedience you will enjoy my generous protection. In other words you will be allowed to live."

I've always had a thing for "bad girls." I remember, even as a kid, thinking Ursa was way hotter than Lois Lane. ;)

Everyone was way hotter than Kidder's Lois Lane.

When Superman 3 came along, i was going, "Dammit Clark, that's your childhood sweetheart, and you downgrade to Lois??"

QUOTE (eugimon @ Apr 28 2010, 04:44 PM) yeah, and he killed younglings! *snort*

The guy almost chokes his pregnant wife to death! (actually, he should have; epic fail, Lucas, epic fail. WTF dies of a broken heart?)

Broken heart nuthin', Emperor Palpetine killed via long distance force somethingerother!

Idi Amin (The Last King of Scotland)

"Look at you. Is there one thing you have done that is good? Did you think this was all a game? 'I will go to Africa and I will play the white man with the natives.' Is that what you thought? We are not a game, Nicholas. We are real. This room here, it is real. I think your death will be the first real thing that has happened to you."

A few pages earlier, I posted a rebuttal on Adolf Hitler being nominated by someone else on this thread, based on Bruno Gans' portrayal in Downfall. While I agree that Gans was perfect as Hitler, the film's portrayal of the Nazi leader was that of a broken and desperate man. Plus, because of the outbreak of rant parody videos on YouTube, nobody takes Hitler seriously anymore.

Now we move from one dictator to another. Idi Amin - a man who, for nearly a decade, drove Uganda down to the ground by expelling all the Asians, implementing ethnic cleansing on tribes that opposed him and openly supporting Palestinian terrorists who hijacked a plane from Israel. Forest Whitaker's Oscar-winning performance in The Last King of Scotland is so disturbingly spot-on, you would think he really is Idi Amin. And you wouldn't want to know what Amin did to one of his wives in the film.

post-237-127509154009_thumb.jpg

Edited by areaseven

And you wouldn't want to know what Amin did to one of his wives in the film.

Well, since you brought it up... :huh: ???

I don't know if/when I'll ever get around to seeing that film.

Edited by reddsun1

Oh yeah, can't forget:

Toecutter (Mad Max): runs down innocent women and babies w/out a second glance; all around raging anti-authority arsehole and psychopath "Jesse, Jesse, Jesse! You've not got a sense of humor!"

Devil (Legend): Tim Curry brought across a pretty charismatic and devious bad guy, in spite of his outwardly grotesque and seemingly brutish looks in this flick. Was he supposed to be "The Devil" or just "A Devil" in this movie?

Yeah, Darkness was a pretty good bad guy. Did you catch Tim Curry's performance in last night's Criminal Minds season finale? He takes the term "psychopathic shithead" to a whole new level.

Well, since you brought it up... :huh: ???

I don't know if/when I'll ever get around to seeing that film.

You could say ... he decides she's not cut out to be his wife. It's a pretty dicey situation overall, but it does a shockingly good job of demonstrating Idi's got the chops to be a real villain.

Puns aside, what makes it much worse is that it's pretty much what actually happened to her in real life :(

Here are other examples of Idi Amin's ruthlessness. These scenes from an old movie called Amin: The Rise and Fall, starring Joseph Olita. Yes, Olita's acting is laughable, but he does look the part. Still, Forest Whitaker did a more convincing performance as Amin.

Now we move from one dictator to another. Idi Amin - a man who, for nearly a decade, drove Uganda down to the ground by expelling all the Asians, implementing ethnic cleansing on tribes that opposed him and openly supporting Palestinian terrorists who hijacked a plane from Israel. Forest Whitaker's Oscar-winning performance in The Last King of Scotland is so disturbingly spot-on, you would think he really is Idi Amin. And you wouldn't want to know what Amin did to one of his wives in the film.

I hope they make a good Operation Entebbe movie about the hostage rescue starring Chuck Norris, Stallone, Arnie, Ice-Cube, and Jackie Chan as elite Israeli Commandos.

On a more serious note, it is arguably one of the best hostage rescue operations in "hostile territory" ever carried out, all the way up there with GSG9's Lufthansa 737 rescue.

• 3 weeks later...

There is one classic villain of the cinema that stands..er..sits tall over all the rest.

"It would be quite possible mein Führer, nuclear reactors could...heh...I'm sorry mister President."

"Mein Führer, I CAN WALK!!"

Heh - I'm probably the only one that got that reference.

Problem is that while that character was a Nazi, he really wasn't a villain. Hell, there were no villains throughout the movie - just a bunch of paranoid soldiers in the Cold War.

Heh - I'm probably the only one that got that reference.

Problem is that while that character was a Nazi, he really wasn't a villain. Hell, there were no villains throughout the movie - just a bunch of paranoid soldiers in the Cold War.

Agreed. If there was a villain at all, it would've been Gen. J Ripper.

Sam Neill as Charles Bromley from Daybreakers was a pretty interesting villain

so was Kaufman played by Dennis Hopper from Land of the Dead...

aw heck Dennis Hopper has always played some great villains, even as king koopa from the god awful live action mario brothers movie lol

'Doctor Strangelove: Or, how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb" (1964)

Directed by Stanley Kubrick

Sarring

Peter Sellers (Gr. Capt. Lionel Mandrake, President Mirkin J. Muffley, Dr. Strangelove)

George C. Scott (Gen Buck Turgidson)

Stirling Hayden (Gen Jack T. Ripper)

Slim Pickens (Maj. 'King' Kong)

Keenan Wynn (Col. Batt Guano)

James Earl Jones (B-52 Bombardier)

That's what we're talking about. :lol:

'Doctor Strangelove: Or, how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb" (1964)

Directed by Stanley Kubrick

Sarring

Peter Sellers (Gr. Capt. Lionel Mandrake, President Mirkin J. Muffley, Dr. Strangelove)

George C. Scott (Gen Buck Turgidson)

Stirling Hayden (Gen Jack T. Ripper)

Slim Pickens (Maj. 'King' Kong)

Keenan Wynn (Col. Batt Guano)

James Earl Jones (B-52 Bombardier)

That's what we're talking about. :lol:

That doesn't sound like the type of movie you could mine for signature quotes.

Edited by Nied

Henry Fonda's character "Frank" in Once Upon a Time in the West was a great mean sonofabi*ch...

once-upon-a-time.jpg

1) ruthless: has his men murder an entire family as they prepare for a wedding feast at thier home; but they leave one survivor, a little boy. When one of the men calls their leader Frank by name, asking what to do with the child, Frank (Henry Fonda) draws his pistol and slowly takes aim at the last remaining witness. With a self-satisfied grin, he pulls the trigger. He tries to frame Cheyenne and his gang for the murders.

2) ambitious: no longer content with just being a hired gun, Frank wants to become a wealthy businessman and rival men like Morton the railroad baron.

3) cruel: among his past victims is Harmonica's (Charles Bronson) older brother. A younger Frank strides out of the desert to the isolated ruin of a Spanish mission--a lone arch with a bell hanging at the top. He places a brand-new harmonica into a young man's mouth, telling him to keep his lovin' brother happy. The youth's hands are bound behind him, and his older brother, also bound, is standing on his shoulders with a noose around his neck. Frank and his men wait for the inevitable moment when the boy's legs will give way and complete the hanging. The doomed man curses Frank and kicks his younger brother away. The harmonica drops out of the young man's mouth as he falls into the dust.

5) just plain mean

[Frank just knocked Morton off of his crutches]

Morton: Is that sufficient to make you feel stronger?

Frank: I could squash you like a wormy apple!

Morton: Sure. But you won't do it... because it's... not to your advantage...

Frank: Hmm. Who knows how far you'd have gone with two good legs, huh?

This is a good movie. Makes wonderful use of pacing and suspense, and uses the film score to great effect, no wasted or superfluous dialogue. Something modern filmmakers/audiences don't seem to have the attention or patience for...