Best Movie Badguy of all time?

So, after catching Higlander (the one, and should have been only) on late night cable tonight, it server to re-affirm my belief that..

Clancy Brown - THE KURGAN is the absolute baddest badguy of all time. Recently we have had the chance to see him play evil all over again in Carnivale. Dude still packs the gear to play a fantastic evil bastard.

So, who's your vote and why?

Tough call. Kurgan may be the toughest bad guy on film, but he lacks brains compared to Darth Vader.

Yeah, but Vader was ultimately a good guy. Kurgan on the other hand, is pure, unadulterated evil from start to finish. Not to mention the fact that he's completely off the hook throughout the whole flick, totally out of control, and nuts.

It's either Vader, whom will always go down in the annals of movie history as the badguy by whom all other badguys will ever be measured; or Hans Gruber, from Die Hard. He was sadistic, psychotic, amoral, and totally focused on his goal and determed to get it no matter what he had to do.

Clarence Boddicker (RoboCop)
"See, I got this problem. Cops don't like me. So I don't like cops."

Public enemy no.1 of Old Detroit, he is responsible for the increasing number of police officer deaths. Kurtwood Smith should've been given an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of a vicious crime lord with absolutely no morals or redeeming factors.

"Ooh...guns, guns, GUNS! The Tigers are playing... tonight! I never miss a game."

post-237-0-03531900-1381328029_thumb.jpg

Edited by areaseven

Tough call. Kurgan may be the toughest bad guy on film, but he lacks brains compared to Darth Vader.

Yeah, but Vader was ultimately a good guy. Kurgan on the other hand, is pure, unadulterated evil from start to finish. Not to mention the fact that he's completely off the hook throughout the whole flick, totally out of control, and nuts.

That's because by many accounts he was seriously nuts offscreen as well. I think it was in the director's commentary where they talk about how Clancy Brown would get into character and peopel would just be frightened to approach him.

I don't know if I can top The Kurgan, the dude's seriously sick evil. Poor bunnyheather... :(

But my among favorite bad guys are Hannibal Lechter, Tim Curry in Legend, and while it wasn't a great movie, Tim Roth in Rob Roy was completely despicable, a pleasure to watch. Not so much as a great performance but Darth Vader's presence just oozes fear.

Excellent question. Vader's one bad mother (shut your mouth) but I have a problem siding with him. In the end he was just a crusty old guy in a suit... and redeemed no less.

First guy that comes to my head is Christopher Walken as the angel Gabriel in The Prophecy. I really recommend that movie, lots of people being evil for the sake of being evil.

My vote would probably be for Roy Batty from Blade Runner- Played by Rutger Hauer.

The cool thing about Roy is that he is only doing what most anyone would do, try their hardest to survive in the face of impending death. But the way the movie is set up, you're supposed to think of him as a bad guy, when it's really the humans who created the slave replicants in the first place who are the bad guys.

As with Vader, a type of salvation in the end doesn't change the fact that he was originally portrayed as a bad guy.

The Kurgan is pretty bad-ass, too.

There is one classic villain of the cinema that stands..er..sits tall over all the rest.

"It would be quite possible mein Führer, nuclear reactors could...heh...I'm sorry mister President."

"Mein Führer, I CAN WALK!!"

I can't believe that nobody's mentioned the emperior. I mean hell not only does he bring about the downfall of practically all Jedi, he rules the universe, disquises himself as a good guy and fools the jedi. The dude trains all sith (some of the baddest fighters in the universe. Plus he's so crusty and old that just looking at him make run in fear of his adult diapers. B))

Best movie bad guy has to be Vader. Why? Failure is not an option. Of course if you failed you died. Best all time line from him: "Your lack of faith disturbs me." and he said it casually while using the force. How badass is that?

I'm gonna add:

Al Pacino as The Devil in Devil's Advocate

Michael Madsen as Mr. Blonde in Reservoir Dogs (come on, he was a bad, bad man.) :lol:

Geoffrey Rush as Cassanova Frankenstein in The Mystery Men

Max von Sydow as Emperor Ming in Flash Gordon

Best movie bad guy has to be Vader.  Why?  Failure is not an option.  Of course if you failed you died. Best all time line from him: "Your lack of faith disturbs me."  and he said it casually while using the force.  How badass is that?

Please note that this only took place in one movie. Empire. He never kills a single person in Jedi (unless you count the Emperor). . . and the only people he kills in ANH are rebel pilots rather impersonally, and Obi-Wan.

They couldn't have him being all mean in Jedi since we had to like him again by the end! :)

Edited by Hurin

Please note that this only took place in one movie.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Hey, that does look like Jerjerrod from Jedi. . . but that didn't actually happen in the final cut. What's that from?

H

Hey, that does look like Jerjerrod from Jedi. . . but that didn't actually happen in the final cut.  What's that from?

H

It's one of the many cut scenes from Jedi. Basically, Vader goes to see the Emeror but Jerjerrod says "Nuh-uh." so Vader chokes him. Then when Jerjerrod manages to gasp that it was the Emperor's wish that he remain undisturbed, Vader releases him. It would have been a neat scene, but it was ultimately a little pointless. But long story short, there was a scene were Vader reached out and touched somebody, but it was cut. Otherwise, who would he have choked? Piett?

Piett - "Its an older code, but it checks out. I was about to clear them. Shall I hold them?"

Vader - "No, leave them to me."

CHOKES PIETT

Or that nameless officer who brings Luke to Vader?

Commander - "He was armed only with this."

Vader - "Good work commander. Leave us. Conduct your search and bring his companions to me."

CHOKES COMMANDER

Edited by bsu legato

Hey, that does look like Jerjerrod from Jedi. . . but that didn't actually happen in the final cut.  What's that from?

H

It's one of the many cut scenes from Jedi. Basically, Vader goes to see the Emeror but Jerjerrod says "Nuh-uh." so Vader chokes him. Then when Jerjerrod manages to gasp that it was the Emperor's wish that he remain undisturbed, Vader releases him. It would have been a neat scene, but it was ultimately a little pointless. But long story short, there was a scene were Vader reached out and touched somebody, but it was cut. Otherwise, who would he have choked? Piett?

Piett - "Its an older code, but it checks out. I was about to clear them. Shall I hold them?"

Vader - "No, leave them to me."

CHOKES PIETT

Or that nameless officer who brings Luke to Vader?

Commander - "He was armed only with this."

Vader - "Good work commander. Leave us. Conduct your search and bring his companions to me."

CHOKES COMMANDER

You know, if Lucas REALLY wanted to make a "special edition" of the movie, why didn't he include these scenes?

I'd have loved to see Vader getting his Force on...