Transformers the Movie

178 members have voted

1. 1. Now that you've seen it, what did you think?

• It kicked ass!
    • Good, but not as good as the original.
    • Meh.
    • I want Grimlock to step on Michael Bay.

• 2 weeks later...

your talking about the balck paint scheme with the flames right?

I ccant see that as prime maybe another character but not Prime.

Why they think they need to make the cab look "tougher" i dont know

Its a big robot that turns into a Semi how much tougher or cooler than

that does it need to be?

post-3216-1156153821_thumb.jpg

I hope that's the black decepticon truck in G1, forgot its name. I think it was an oil tanker, and not Prime.

417000[/snapback]

I just did a quick search: MotorMaster maybe? From the stunticon combiner/gestalt series? Or Octane, the triple changer?

Maybe you 2 should actually time some movie trailers.

X3 comes 1:38

Alien 1:50

Aliens 1:51

Shinobi 2:09

Slither 1:34

The Omen 1:34

The Keep 1:59

RoboCop 1:39

Terminator 2 1:28

Talladega Nights 2:15

American Psycho 1:52

Monster House 2:01

The Sixth Sense 2:14

Final Fantasy 1:32

Negadon 3 1:44

Death Trance 00:53

Syriana 2:22

Lady in the Water 1:48

Ice Age2 1:16

MI3 Trailer 1:35

Superman II 2:15

Eight Below 2:22

Ju-on 1:29

Phantasm 2:09

HALO THE MOVIE 2:03

Ultraviolet 2:17

POSEIDON 4:37

Old, younger, new, and upcoming movies and this are ALL trailers. And your proclaimed 'teaser' comes in at 1:39. So really don't give me your sh!t. Especially when Japanese trailers normally go around 30 seconds. Blame the people who shove their credits and movie build-up crap into the trailer taking up time.

I believe the term is fartING OWNED!

412863[/snapback]

Wait there is a Halo movie trailer out, where link man, link.

I'll agree with the sentiment that that truck would make a good Motor Master. I really don't like it as Optimus. If season three taught us anything, it's that real Primes don't have flames.

417235[/snapback]

Maybe Rodimus Prime? Just a thought .....

:huh:

I'll agree with the sentiment that that truck would make a good Motor Master. I really don't like it as Optimus. If season three taught us anything, it's that real Primes don't have flames.

417235[/snapback]

Maybe Rodimus Prime? Just a thought .....

:huh:

417327[/snapback]

Yes. That's who I was thinking of. Not highly, but that's who I was thinking of.

They said that if they went for a flat-nose, Prime wouldn't have been able to have been as large. So rather than 20-30ft, he can be like 40-50ft.

417019[/snapback]

who said?

417035[/snapback]

According to Ain't It Cool, Michael Bay. And we can speculate on what other trucks that monstrousity might be better served as, it's still Optimus.

Penny Arcade had some interesting thoughts on the subject.

There are some rumors floating around that some robot mode pics of Optimus have been seen. Though I can't confirm this, he supposedly looks something like "G2 laser Optimus Prime"... Whatever the hell that means.<--being the old fogey that I am, I only remember the original OP.

Can anyone confirm this information? Better yet, pictures would be greatly appreciated.

I can't remember where this is posted, but the reason they want Prime so big is that otherwise Starscream and Megatron would dwarf him since they are jet fighters. It was also said that they are keeping to real life physics and not the magical transformations of the cartoon (ie. a 30 foot robot becoming a hand held cassette player). It's because of the success of the X-men movies that these live action adaptions of these comic books and cartoon series are aiming towards being realistic.

I say regarding the movie, enjoy it for what it's worth... an original take on the Transformers universe. What's worse? A long nose semi Prime or an Optimus Prime that turns into a friggin' ape? :p

if optimus is like laser optimus, then the flaming truck in the other pics may possibly be optimus. Laser optimus is like Transformer RID Scourge. This could be good or bad. I like the way scourge looks, but please get rid of the flames.  <_<

417911[/snapback]

the original g2 optimus toy had a paint job with a red nose and a gradient to a black body. The flames make sense in that context.

This is most worrisome.

Already with the minute amount of leaked info, they are generating a significant amout of discontent from fans. I just recently saw some pictures of this "G2 laser Prime" toy, and if the film Prime is indeed made to look like that, all I can say is WTF?????

I haven't been a fan of TF since I was a kid, so I don't consider myself a zealot by any means, but even as a casual fan who occasionally looks back on the TF phase of my childhood and chuckles, there is one, ONE unwritten rule to be observed:

do NOT F*ck with Optimus Prime: he is the pivotal core of that franchise.

And of course, what's the first leaked image of the live-action film that we see? An optimus Prime that has been f*cked with and bastardized. Felicitations gentlemen, Rick Berman would be proud.

I'm really excited, just confirming that Peter is taking part in the movie is a sold ticket in my opinion, F what the rest of the transformers look like now, I get to hear my god and childhood hero like the good ol' days once again.

Shin Goji's news post at www.neomonsterisland.com -- NOT a 100% clean link, so be warned

So this was going to be my Monday rant tied in with Episode 997: What the fart is wrong with Michael Bay, and more on topic, Hollywood. What is the attitude that the FANS don't know what they want. Fans have wanted a Starfleet Acadamy Star Trek show for years, but Rick Berman has repeatedly claimed the "fans don't know what they want." Uwe Boll is a hack, who rapes the core stories of a game and doesn't care if he pisses off the fans. Michael Bay states that he is breathing life into a sagging franchise with new life, yet is doing massive redesigns to some of the leading characters, like Optimus Prime.

Now where did Hollywood get the idea that not only do fans not know what they want, but they can trample all over the fans in favor of mainstream acceptance. People think the Superman suit is goofy and cheesy. I agree, but if you release a Superman movie without the suit, it's not Superman. It is the FANS of the original series who got the franchise where it is. Hollywood claims it is trying to find a more mainstream audience and they won't understand the original concept. But if you piss off the fans you pissoff a serious foundation of the genre, and your most immediate cash flow. Spider-Man made some changes, but it held true to the fanboy spirit. The result? The guy who directed the Evil Dead trilogy got to film one of the most successful film franchises in history. Lord of the Rings is another excellent example. Changes were made, but the HEART is still there. There is nothing wrong with being a fanboy.

So my final word to Michael Bay is this: You want to hide the designs of the Transformers, and not let the public see a single robot in their normal forms until they plop their asses down in the seat after haven already given you their money. What happened the last time this occurred? Let's see: a Hollywood studio kept a character design under wraps until the movie premiered using secrecy and underhanded tactics not yet seen in the industry before, opened to a big weekend, pissed off the core fans who got the franchise there, and became one of the most hated and mocked movies in history. I'm talking about Tristar's release of Godzilla. All you are doing is keeping the fact you are directing a shitty movie under wraps in the poorest way possible, and declaring that YOU know more than the FANS do what they need.

i personaly think its gonna end up another failure, but we may get surprised (i doubt it)

Edited by GrimlockCW

I can forgive it if the changes worked (like with the x-men movie how the uniforms looked different from the comic or the changes we saw with the original batman movie) but if they don't.....then the fans are going to be pissed if it can't live up to all the hype.

If they made transformers into a completely cg movie like final fantasy I wouldn't mind. (pretty much it's the cg and VFX that are worth the price - fanboys got that in spades)

I've said it before but what they should have done is set TF right in the 80s as if we were looking at an event in the past. It happened a long time ago and the war is over now kind of thing. This way all the vehicles can look like the cartoon.

From what has been posted on other message boards about the script (which I should've bookmarked--aargh!) roughly 70% of screen time will be devoted to "human character development", with only about 30% for the robots <--which are supposed to be the stars of the show... Aren't they? :unsure:

Alas, the person who was able to look over the script has stated that it was disappointing. Or as I think he put it: it's a great movie, just not a Transformers movie.

The film will be a failure in the eyes of the fans. A bold statement on my part, I must confess, and I shall explain it: Paramount is beginning to hype this film A YEAR ahead of its release date. Posters, theatrical teaser, thinly-veiled viral marketing stunts... The whole shabang.

Now think about it: the cat's outta the bag, and because of this, all of the dormant TF fans that had no idea that a film was/is in the works, are now awakened to the idea of having their childhood heroes come to life on the big screen with cutting-edge special effects.. A year from now. A whole year... A year in which to build-up expectations. That's a looooong time, and it's only normal that expectations and anticipation will grow to a fever pitch all the way up to the film's release.

At that point, even if the film is f*cking Grapes Of Wrath good (which it won't be) the fans will still be disappointed because their expectations will have built up so high for so long, to a level that would simply be impossible for Hollywood to satisfy, no matter what it did.

Call me a cynic if you like, but I fear that we will be witness to another BUTTZILLA. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong, and if I will, I'll gladly eat autobot pie :lol:

Just to play devil's advacate, to be fair to the moviemakers: there are too many TF series/versions out there that will please ALL TF fans. So I'm sure they had to be selective on which TF characters and which versions of them, to use. Mind you, they should never have messed with the classic and popular characters like Prime and Megatron.

My 2 cents.

:)

Hi Vermillion.

Megatron I can understand them needing to tinker with: Tf the movie is really just a thinly-veiled 2-hour commercial to allow Hasbro to make rediculous money with new TF toys. That having been said, there is one well understood faux pas with toy marketing: no realistic guns.

If Hasbro tried to re-market the original concept Walther P-38 Megatron (or modernized version), they'd essentially be buried in an avalanche of lawsuits and complaints by every gun-grabbing organisation, leftist girlie-man and paranoid soccer-mom in the whole US of A... And that's assuming that they'd even be able to get the idea past their own legal department. Furthermore, the big department stores would refuse to carry it. Too much controversy. Not good for business, plain and simple.

Optimus Prime on the other hand, was an inexcuseable NO-brainer; Takara already made the perfect Prime toy, all they had to do was model THAT in CG.

Would it work? Let's try this. Let's have a little home-grown poll: take 5 of the most recognizeable Optimus Prime incarnations, including the Takara MP Convoy, and ask everyone which one they feel would make the BEST movie prime. I can practically guarantee you that that design will win by a mile.

That film has $150 million budget and they're telling me that those a$$-clowns couldn't even get something that simple right? I weep for the future.

Edited by captain america