My Macross toys

F-ZeroOne

it sure is a HCM. Damn that's bright white! At first I thought it was a MPC, but then I realized it didn't look that crappy. So it had to be a HCM ;):p:D:lol:

Thanks for the nice comments!

I really don't have room for another 1/60 Strike, but I was at this cult TV event at the weekend and it just screamed "Buy me!" :rolleyes:

Thanks also for the comments about the artwork - the Kiki picture I got at the Studio Ghibli museum in Mitaka, Tokyo, a couple years ago. That turned out to be something of an adventure - thanks to the credit card company thinking it strange some one was buying "Japanese furniture" on my account...! (I cannot thank my friend Martin and the wonderful staff at the museum for helping me sort that one out).

The Lum cel - and the VF-1A, incidentally - were prize catches from my very first trip to Japan, nearly five years ago now. The cel is a really nice one of Lum and I was surprised I could get it so cheaply. Sadly, you don't tend to see as many cels these days due to the switch to computer-based working practices... :(

Oh, yes - the Max is from an old Arii Gerwalk toy I had ages ago. Hes a bit out of scale, but does go nicely with the Milias...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

OMG a HCM!! KICK ASS!!! Dude are you the same dude I asked back many months ago to post a mini gallery ? I forgot who did but someone posted a bunch OF HCm pics. HCM RULES!! Wish I had one. damn boating accidents!! grrrrr

and I agree about cells. Nothing beats da real thing. I was actually making some for my animation project but my hand inks were screwing everything up lol.

nice collection!!

Laserstorm: I had the micro-missile packs going spare from the VF-1A, and I like varied loads. However, I may try it just with the reaction warheads just to see how it looks - but I do prefer the mixed loadout ("We can fry yer battle pods, yer officer pods, and yer battle-cruisers. Just don' ask us 'bout no chicks called Milia!" :lol: )

Shin: yes, that was probably me who posted those HCM pics a while back. I do sometimes wish I'd picked the Cannon Fodder variant, though - theres a lot of white in my collection...! :)

Edited by F-ZeroOne

"We can fry yer battle pods, yer officer pods, and yer battle-cruisers. Just don' ask us 'bout no chicks called Milia!" :lol:

Heh, good catch frase. Anyway strike has to compensate for the loss of one HMMP-02 missile launcher, that's why I'm gonna put UMM-7 when I get my hands on some.

Personally, I think Yamato did a pretty poor job on designing the big missiles. With all three on board they don't really line up well... I think the mixed load is a definite visual improvement (this comment applies to both the 1/60 and 1/48)

Personally, I think Yamato did a pretty poor job on designing the big missiles. With all three on board they don't really line up well... I think the mixed load is a definite visual improvement (this comment applies to both the 1/60 and 1/48)

I agree with you Jenius but the missiles themselves are OK, its the connection for the outer two missile.

And F-ZeroOne I like the way you displayed your collection. Very nice. And them toys too :D .

And F-ZeroOne I like the way you displayed your collection. Very nice. And them toys too :D .

Thanks again, Laserstorm, though I wished I'd moved Max in a bit closer - looks like hes missing an arm! Also, I'm afraid this isn't my actual display now (they were just resting there while I set things up) - my cabinet is a bit small, so at present they all look rather cluttered together where they are now. Must try fiddling with it a bit more...

Edit: oh, yeah, I was applying the stickers this morning and tried the six reaction missiles. Didn't look right at all - back to the micro missiles on the inboard pylons! :)

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Thanks for the nice comments!

The cel is a really nice one of Lum and I was surprised I could get it so cheaply. Sadly, you don't tend to see as many cels these days due to the switch to computer-based working practices... :(

Yup, the majority of anime production is done now with digipainting and digimation. GONZO is a great example with FMP aka Full Metal Panic and the next TF series Galaxy Force.

If you are lucky you can purchase the dougas aka pencil sketches initially used in the creation of the anime. If you are really lucky you might find the gengas and/or the setteis used as well. Man I miss the glory days of cels. :(

Thanks man! So how is the HCM? I like the pure white...pretty.

The HCM is possibly the most interesting of all my Macross toys. One thing thats a little annoying about it is that it has all these little caps and things to cover up the screw holes, but if you want to use them you have to take them off sprues - same with the missiles, which leads to a dilemma - play with the bits or keep the parts in prime condition?

It has a number of nice details - real rubber tyres, nicely done hands, and twin tailhooks - something not even on the Yamato 1/48...!

The fighter mode is okay (there seems to be too large a gap between the engine/leg parts and the body) and the gerwalk mode is more of a "because it has to", but I feel it looks best in Battroid mode, despite the high tailfin. Its got a bit more poseability to it than a 1/55, mainly in the arms and legs, but this is balanced against the fact that it doesn't feel as solid. I suspect the HCMs reputation for fragility is a touch exaggerated, but theres no doubt its plastic on plastic joints don't make for an overly comfortable feel when transforming it.

One thing that is quite clear is how much the Toynami Veritechs were based on it... :lol: