Roy's Death

hellohikaru

He probably figured out his time was up... and that he rathere spend his last few hours with the woman he loved then hooked up to some machine in a hospital.

Or, in typical fighter-jock-bravado-style, he just figured: "It's just a scratch. . . i'm going to get laid!"

Which, to my mind, is more the Foker style. :p

DEFINATELY the Focker mindset.

He probably figured out his time was up... and that he rathere spend his last few hours with the woman he loved then hooked up to some machine in a hospital.

Or, in typical fighter-jock-bravado-style, he just figured: "It's just a scratch. . . i'm going to get laid!"

Which, to my mind, is more the Foker style. :p

That would be right.... if it wasn't for the morbid look on his face. He was in pain and he knew it. :)

But Hikaru did not retain the Skull right ?It was eventually badly damaged by Max.....

Still Roy didn't have to die...i would have loved to see him live but never to fly again like some desk officer or the invitro colonel in "space above and beyond". You know like those good western productions where the good guys never die. :p

While I agree that on some levels Roy did not need to die and some different storytelling could have let him live, you have to step out of the plotline and english books for a second and realize another truth of SDF: Macross and DYRL... they are telling a story of war... and the main characters are in a sense the "Front Line" troops of the story. To a soldier, death is around every corner... no matter how "safe" or "secure" you seem to be... Even in the most modern wars front line troops suffer at least 25% casualties unless there is a total mis-match of powers clashing... and in all likelyhood the mis-match of power favored the Zentradi and Meltrandi. If you look at both SDF: TV and DYRL, the main pilot cast suffered 50% casualties... Both Roy and Kakizaki didn't make it out. If you want to get even more realistic the unit suffered 75% casualties as Max in DYRL was technically a MIA. Those numbers are about right for a frontline combat unit facing the kinds of odds that Skull Squadron was. Look at all the other "no name" squads that got wiped out to the man... Just as a sort of "insight" to all of this let me tell you a true to life story from Vietnam:

My father was a Sergent in the 101st Airborne in Vietnam, his platoon were all friends and they knew each other well from basic through jump school and MOS... all the way into the 'Nam. They knew their officers, their non-coms and their "buddies". My dad served two tours... well, one and three fourths actually... and in that time he saw a good 50% if not more of his squad and his platoon leaders get killed and wounded in action. When he was wounded and med-evaced on Nevada Eagle he was the longest lasting NCO in his platoon, the other three having been killed or discharged. He shared his dustoff ride back to a medical area with four of his squad mates... two in body bags.

War is not a story of fancy action, courageous pilots and daring... it is a story of loss and survival. Oedipus aside. Macross tells a seemingly accurate portrayal of war in the sense that no one is immue (Roy)... and the jerk-offs usually get it in the end too (Kakizaki). Think of all the other losses: millions of people on the planet earth, Misa's father and the entire command staff, hundreds of Valkyrie pilots that never even had names... Roy Focker is just one name on the wall.

I realize he died for a reason, but I always wondered why he didn't go to sickbay when he got back to the ship, and if he was bleeding that badly why no one noticed, ground crew might be busy,but when Claudia hugged him, you'd think she'd notice that sticky red spot.

Just like to point out that some injuries do not show lots of blood... It's all internal. Once Roy cleaned up the initial mess (how doing it without anybody noticing I don't know), and patched his external wounds, there would be little bleeding on the outside. I'm sure if they did an autopsy they would find lots of damaged organs and lots of blood in the abdomen.

Plus I don't really think that Roy's death was pointless. Like everybody else has already said, it let Hikaru grow as a character.

I always thought that Roy (in the tv series) was probably in shock and not totally aware of his injuries.  It's hard to think of a good reason why someone in his condition wouldn't seek medical attention; I doubt that pineapple salad was that good, unless Claudia spiked it.

Guess when you're dying you want to do that among the people you care about

( <_< ? )

Roy was a real man

(and real men do stupid things :lol: )

Edited by Nightbat®

Roy's death is definately helps Hikaru's character to develope and mature. I like how he died in the TV-series from a passing shot by the Zentradi, just shows more realism in how war is. I definately don't think Roy would've sat back and taken a desk job if he couldn't fly anymore.

I always thought that Roy (in the tv series) was probably in shock and not totally aware of his injuries. It's hard to think of a good reason why someone in his condition wouldn't seek medical attention; I doubt that pineapple salad was that good, unless Claudia spiked it.

Dude, he promised he'd stop by for some salad. You tryin' to call Roy a liar?

Smiley, you brought up a good point on how he died. I was always pissed about Roy dying. Like many, he was my favorite character. Hell, who doesn't like a guy who enjoys piloting million dollar military hardware when they're smashed? So, yeah, I was pissed when he died.

The TV's version of his death I always loathed. That's not how Roy should've gone out is what many think. But, the way he went out was the most realistic. You'd expect Roy to die by taking to much damage after killing 10000 Zentraldie or something. But no. He just takes some shots in a battle. Just a random battle. Roy's survived tougher ones in the past. But it was just chance this time. Not everyone can die in a blaze of glory. It was war. crap happens.Roy just got terribly unlucky in that battle.

Now his movie death just plain out rules :) I didn't mind him going out that time. That time he died the way he should've.

Anyways, hi everyone, new guy here, first post ^_^ Couldn't resist posting upon seing this topic.

I realize he died for a reason, but I always wondered why he didn't go to sickbay when he got back to the ship, and if he was bleeding that badly why no one noticed, ground crew might be busy,but when Claudia hugged him, you'd think she'd notice that sticky red spot.

I would have thought the techs would alert somebody if he was bleeding that badly. Why would you see a pool of blood and then not go and ask to see if he was okay? It's not as if they didn't know who flew the fighter either. I don't know too many other fighter pilots with that sort of paint scheme on a Valkyrie.

I would have thought the techs would alert somebody if he was bleeding that badly. Why would you see a pool of blood and then not go and ask to see if he was okay? It's not as if they didn't know who flew the fighter either. I don't know too many other fighter pilots with that sort of paint scheme on a Valkyrie.

They were also commenting on his treatment of the vehicle. They knew EXACTLY who flew Skull One.

'Twas a war story, of course he had to die.

MYK that new new new nnenew Ninja babe has to go she is mesmerizing me every time I look at her run, is she from DOA and when did they make an anime out of it. Any way bring back Mai heh heh. :lol:

Who says the techs didn't alert someone? Perhaps it came to their attention too late to do any good for poor Roy. I'm sure Skull One wasn't the only damaged Valk in the hanger. I imagine after the Roy incident pilots are checked out by a medic before leaving to insure such a tragedy never occurs again.

Maybe they thought it was cabarnet...

the thick, coagulated kind... :unsure:

:lol:

ADD: Isn't Myk's new av Ladics staple av??? :unsure:

Edited by >EXO<

Who says the techs didn't alert someone? Perhaps it came to their attention too late to do any good for poor Roy. I'm sure Skull One wasn't the only damaged Valk in the hanger. I imagine after the Roy incident pilots are checked out by a medic before leaving to insure such a tragedy never occurs again.

Maybe they thought it was cabarnet...

the thick, coagulated kind... :unsure:

:lol:

ADD: Isn't Myk's new av Ladics staple av??? :unsure:

Cabarnet??????? :huh:

Edited by VF-18S Hornet