Another new Gundam game?

mikeszekely

1) Like the lack of a coherent story line has stopped Bandai from releasing crapfest games like those "Gundam Battle ASSault" games here. They probably fumbled when ditching the original dubbing studio that did the OYW OVAs and MSG in favor of some Canadian non-union shop, so fat chance of hearing consistent VAs on the US Gundam games, if they come out at all. The 0079 crew will also sound vastly different in Zeta Gundam, since they will be voiced by totally different people.

2) Bandai is simply too lazy to translate all the names, not to mention grabbing dozens of VAs to record the lines in English.

3) You speak of the limited edition box, which retails for ¥12,800, roughly $107 US dollars.

4) Based on the "something comes out in the US, we'll have something better that's Japan-only" pattern, I see AEUG vs Titans a Japan-only title now that Fed vs Zeon is available in US (see earlier post regarding model releases and LWC vs J2J).

I do have more detailed reasons to why Lost War Journal didn't come out, etc., but I want to get the okay from my source from Bandai before I devulge too much publicly. :)

As for the Battle Assualt games, they have Gundam Wing suits so is it any surprise that they made it to market though they are mediocre? The Enter the Matrix Games and the recent Tomb Raider games were piles of crap loaded with glitches, yet Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft all let these games go to market...

The Zeta game will probably have a good chance of hitting US chores in part because it is a Capcom game. If Bandai ever tries to get the PS2 Macross game out here in the states, it will help to have the Sega name behind it.

As long as Bandai uses something in lines of the ZOE engine..... Ecounters in Space could be one of the best mech games to date.

Flying around in a Zeta or the Super Gundam with ZOE's controls... ::drools::

Is the Ball in it?

EiS has TWO Balls. (That didn't come out good, did it?) The regular kind from the TV series, and then the one from the beginning of the 08th MS Team.

AEUG vs. Titans doesn't have any Balls.

As long as Bandai uses something in lines of the ZOE engine..... Ecounters in Space could be one of the best mech games to date.

Is the Ball in it?

EiS has TWO Balls. (That didn't come out good, did it?) The regular kind from the TV series, and then the one from the beginning of the 08th MS Team.

Lets not forget the GM Juggler.... it had 2 balls..... errr.... that didn't come out right either, did it? :p:rolleyes:

Now that would be a nice addition to the game. :p

Is the Ball in it?

well it just ain't right if it only has one.

1) Like the lack of a coherent story line has stopped Bandai from releasing crapfest games like those "Gundam Battle ASSault" games here. They probably fumbled when ditching the original dubbing studio that did the OYW OVAs and MSG in favor of some Canadian non-union shop, so fat chance of hearing consistent VAs on the US Gundam games, if they come out at all. The 0079 crew will also sound vastly different in Zeta Gundam, since they will be voiced by totally different people.

Who the hell listens to dubs anyway?

More ppl then you can imagine. More ppl enjoy watching something dubbed then watching it subbed.... and you know that very well.

And such people obvoiusly don't care what crap voices they're listening to anyway.

I got this game the day it came out and have literally destroyed it. If anyone needs any help on it, I'd be glad to give some tips ^_^. I have almost all S's.

By the way, definetly the best Gundam game to date. Though the G-Saviour game is in close second.

Who the hell listens to dubs anyway?

More ppl then you can imagine. More ppl enjoy watching something dubbed then watching it subbed.... and you know that very well.

And such people obvoiusly don't care what crap voices they're listening to anyway.

Its not that.... its just that they find it more imersible to hear and understand what the characters are saying (bad voices or not) then listen and have to read what the characters are saying.

Though the G-Saviour game is in close second.

Sorry... I can't take your statement seriously about the new game, when you say the worst Gundam game to date (if not the worst ever anime based game) is the second best Gundam game. <_<

Its not that.... its just that they find it more imersible to hear and understand what the characters are saying (bad voices or not) then listen and have to read what the characters are saying.

More immersive to deal with bad acting & vastly off translations? No thank you!

Story mode takes place starting from as soon as White Base returns to space to A Baoa Qu. Side Story takes place the same time, as the THoroughbred left Jaburo the same time as White Base. Depending on your scores, you can take two routes in Side Story. Ace Pilot mode takes place all over the place. Char's first level is the battle that earned him the name Red Comet.

And I think the G-Saviour game (back when it came out most referred to it as G-Saviour Gaiden) destroys all the other PS2 Gundam games. And I've played them all, 0079 PS2, Lost War Chronicles, Zeonic Front, etc. It had the best music of them all by far, was the most fast paced, levles and graphics all looked great, the opening was really nice, Mobile Suit designs were some of my favorite, etc. I could go on and on. I still love playing that game. You may be confusing it with the crappy movie.

The controls?

Square: Shoot main weapon. Holding Square brings up the targeting box, allowing mulitple lock on to targets. I lvoe this feautre, as it doesn't waste any ammo :)

X is the boost button. Double tapping it will cause your MS to spin, which breaks any lock ons enemies have.

Circle is you're sub weapon. Some MS don't have a sub weapon.

Triangle pulls out the beam saber, and allows you do to some combos with it. The beam saber trick from Zeta Gundam and CCA games still works in this one.

R1 and R2 make the MS go up and down in 360 mode. Holding R1 and R2 and then pressing square makes you do the MS's special attack.

L1 and L2 I don't think are used. I haven't been using them.

Select can call for backup when the little support thing is flashing on screen. Start pauses.

In 360 mode, pressing up makes the MS go forward, back makes it go back, and left and right make you go left and right.

It's a pretty fun game. It is very like the G-Saviour game, too, in which it's fast paced action with most MS taking only a few hits to kill.

The ebst part is the new animations and side paths you can take. YOu can fight Gato and Salomon ^_^

Edited by Vinny

More immersive to deal with bad acting & vastly off translations? No thank you!

I know what you are saying Keith, and I agree with it. I'm only saying thats the prime excuse used by dub lovers. If you look hard enough... you will find ppl who use that same excuse in MW.

The controls?

Square: Shoot main weapon. Holding Square brings up the targeting box, allowing mulitple lock on to targets. I lvoe this feautre, as it doesn't waste any ammo :)

X is the boost button. Double tapping it will cause your MS to spin, which breaks any lock ons enemies have.

Circle is you're sub weapon. Some MS don't have a sub weapon.

Triangle pulls out the beam saber, and allows you do to some combos with it. The beam saber trick from Zeta Gundam and CCA games still works in this one.

R1 and R2 make the MS go up and down in 360 mode. Holding R1 and R2 and then pressing square makes you do the MS's special attack.

L1 and L2 I don't think are used. I haven't been using them.

Select can call for backup when the little support thing is flashing on screen. Start pauses.

In 360 mode, pressing up makes the MS go forward, back makes it go back, and left and right make you go left and right.

Well I meant how is the gameplay, does it feel heavy/stiff, is it really smooth and responsive? How does it stack against Armored Core and ZOE, and to a lesser extent Fed vs. Zeon (the only Gundam game I've really sat down and spent some time on)? And can you use the sticks?

Okay Gundam game info I CAN release. :)

1) Lost War Chronicle was axed mainly because it was turned down by Sony. They didn't think it was "good enough" and that it wasn't significantly better then the previous PS2 Gundam games released. <_< Fortunately, things are looking good so for the US release of Encounters in Space. :)

2) In regards to the Gihren's Greed games, Bandai did some studies and concluded it wouldn't be profitable enough and that there wasn't enough interest to bring a Gundam strategy/RPG to the US. :( I know I would buy it. :)

3) Again, AEUG vs. Titans would probably stand a pretty good chance of a US release in part because of Capcoms involvement and that Federation vs. Zeon was also good. :)

1) Lost War Chronicle was axed mainly because it was turned down by Sony. They didn't think it was "good enough" and that it wasn't significantly better then the previous PS2 Gundam games released. <_< Fortunately, things are looking good so for the US release of Encounters in Space. :)

What Bandai told you doesn't sound like a satisfactory explaination. Anyone who played all 3 games will agree that LWC was a vast improvement over Journey to Jaburo and looks, sounds, and plays better than Federation vs Zeon, yet Sony deemed J2J and FvZ good enought for release in the US, but not LWC? Something's not adding up here. They've approved plenty of bad games that are way worse than LWC, just take a look at any game store shelf if you need proof.

What? LWR to me was a bunch of rehashed backgrounds, MS, and music from the previous released Gundam games (Zeonic Front, 0079 PS2, and to some extent the Dreamcast one, 0079 Gaiden). They threw in a few MS more, and some unneccesary dating sim type animations. I though it was poorly put together game. It seemed to me like something to keep the fans mildly interested while they finished up the second 0079 PS2 game.

Anyways, for Sora itself, I'm just incredibly glad the space fighting was easier to control then in Federation vs Zeon, and I hope they'll be improving the space fights in AEUG vs Titans, which I can't wait to import this December. Just PLEASE NO MORE LIMITED EDITIONS BANDAI!!! I can't handle them all ;_;!!!!

One of my favorite things to do in Sora is that in mission mode, where you make you're own pilot and do different missions to upgrade his stats, there are non fighting missions! One consists of you playing as a Ball and you pick up Solar Panels for the Solar System and move them into postion!! :) Pretty cool.

This game, all around, definetly looks better then the past PS2 Gundam games, including the recently release 0079 PS2 1.5 (slightly upgraded version of 0079 PS2 to coincide with it's sequel). But, it's totally different then what's been released before (well, excluding Federation vs Zeon, but these both play totally different) so it can't really be compared ot the gameplay of the others. In essence, this is a 0079 fan's wet dream. You get to play as all the greats, like Johnny Ridden, Shin Matsumaga, Black Tristars, etc. You get tons of alternate ways in the story mode, straying from the original series, you get a whole new story in 0079 with the game (Side Story Mode) which itself has alternate routes, etc. Like I said, it's basically a big One Year War history lesson :) Here's hoping they'll do remakes like this one and it's predescor for Zeta Gundam! Hell, they already have a Hell of alot of redone animation sequences from the original Zeta Gundam game for the PS :)

I don't see why so many hate the G-Saviour game, though :( I can assume the majority of the people saying they hate it have never played it (this is the internet, after all). I felt it was an awesome game. Plus, it came with a 15 minute version of the G-Savior movie, which is all I needed to see of that piece of crap ^_^

EDIT; Oh, and in Sora, many people miss this, but at A Baoa Ku, you can meet up with Jack the Halloween, one of the GM Pilots from Gundam: The Ride :)

Edited by Vinny

What?  LWR to me was a bunch of rehashed backgrounds, MS, and music from the previous released Gundam games (Zeonic Front, 0079 PS2, and to some extent the Dreamcast one, 0079 Gaiden).  They threw in a few MS more, and some unneccesary dating sim type animations.  I though it was poorly put together game.  It seemed to me like something to keep the fans mildly interested while they finished up the second 0079 PS2 game.

FYI, the Gundam in 0079/Journey to Jaburo moved at about the speed and responsiveness of a Zaku II in Lost War Chronicles. They might have recycled some maps (the music was re-recorded and re-arranged, BTW) but there were more than "a few MS" added:

- Z-Gok E

- Zaku FZ

- GM Cold District Type

- GP01

- Xamel

- Dom Tropen

- Gelgoog

- GM Ground Combat Model

- Ez8

- Gouf Custom

- Efreet Kai

- Mudrock

That's a dirty dozen right there.

I'll give you that the "dating sim" was slapped together without much production value, but the improved engine and controls were enough to make this game much more enjoyable than 0079/JtJ, which does feel slapped together overall.

Edited by Jolly Rogers

• 1 month later...

This is an old thread, I know, but I figured that I'd get yelled at for making a new one. Anyway....

I picked up the newest OPM today. Surprisingly enough, the reviewer, who was, by the way, clearly a gundam fan, HATED IT. He gave the game one star. And the one star was only because it was a gundam game. He said it played like a rail shooter, and was so easy, all you had to do was press the fire button as it locked on to enemies. This contrasts greatly with what i've heard about the game. So, what's the deal? Is it some bit of wierdness? or did bandai just destroy the came in the transfer to the US?

Is there anyone with the US version who can shed some light on this situation?

OK, he obviously then only played about one minute of the first level. I'd say rail shooting, from what I remember, is about 20% of the game. The majority throws you into a 360 degree fighting field. The game does lock on to enemies for you normally (in rail and free movement mode) but if you think you can just stand around and press fire, you're already dead. This guy doesn't seem to know what he's talking about.

Since this thread's back up, I noticed that Gamestop now has Encounters in Space moved up to early December.

As for EIS getting a one star rating in OPM, EIS did average a 6.5 out of 10 in Game Informer magazine.

Since I can now play Japanese PS2 games, the temptation to get AEUG vs. Titans is growing. Ditto for Gihren's Greed. :)

I never played ZOE, so I don't know how to compare them. But the controls for 360 mode is up makes you move forward, down makes you go back, left makes you turn left, right makes you turn right. I never really moved up and down when I played, but I think it was L2 that made you move up and L1 moved you down. That's how it basically worked. Controls were very easy to use, unlike with the space fights in Renpou vs Zeon.

i was always under the impression that LWC never came out in the states because all the other gundam games had such poor sales, but its probably a combination of that and Apollo Leaders reasons. and i may just be overly cynical, but i seriously doubt we'll be seeing Aueg vs Titans, especially since Zeta's DVD release has been pushed back so far, and its not going to get any tv airtime.

this is not to say i wouldn't like to see it released, i'm just doubtful. heck, i bought a PS2 because i thought Gihren's Greed and Lost War Chonicles were coming out in the states. whoops.

My theory is that there's an unwritten rule at Bandai regarding Gundam that dictates Japan has to have a superior version if something is released in the U.S. Besides the model kits I've listed earlier in the thread, we also see that LWC, an enhanced game using an improved Journey to Jaburo engine, never saw a U.S. release. Even figures that came out in the US first, such as the Gundam GP01, were re-designed and see a Japanese release that is completey different and features better joints and sculpting.

Lesson: buy imports if they're gonna treat U.S. releases as second-class products.

Since Journey to Jaburo outright sucked, I've resolved to rent any new Gundam games before I buy them, and EiS is no exception.

The exception would be AEUG vs. Titans, though. Zeta Gundam is my favorite Gundam series with most of my favorite mobile suits, Capcom is my favorite game developer/publisher, and even if the space battles were less fun, I loved Federation vs. Zeon, and would gladly take a Zeta game even if they didn't improve the engine at all.

its not so much that we're a second class market, as much that bandai doesn't want to spend too much money on us. they are committed to releasing gundam products in the states, at least toywise. we've seen the release of many toys that have either seen no japanese release or only a limited or much belated release, but for new toys they tend to use us as a test market. many of the gundam action figures are released here in the states first, but because of the way the release schedual works they release a lot of different figures all at once. so these figures tend to start out with poor paint aps and crappy plastic colors. but as the line runs, the paint anc plastic colors improve. bandai and sony probably didn't want to spend the money translating LWC and dubbing the character voices when previous UC games had done poorly. granted they'd have been better off to have released LWC and not JtJ, but oh well. Encounters in Space is the sequel to both JtJ and LWC, and after all the bad press its gotten, its good to hear a couple good reviews.

how are the space flight controls and how do they compare to Federation vs Zeons less than stellar space controls?

Edited by motley