Another new Gundam game?

mikeszekely

Seems like just yesterday that we were talking about AEUG vs. Titans going to the arcades (and hoping for a console release). Seems that's not the only new Gundam game on the block... we've also got Encounters in Space coming. (Pardon me if this is old news in Japan... I just to see it in the new PSM.) The few screenshots I've seen looks like the gameplay could be similar to Federation vs. Zeon, but everything looks more detailed. mahq.net has a section for the mecha in the game... looks like another One Year War game, but at least there's a ton more mobile suits than in FvZ.

hmmm....maybe that's why bandai is releasing all those UC MG kits now?....i've noticed that a couple of gundams are the new MG gundams i've seen on HLJ....

i'm glad they put in the GP04 though....always liked that one (the original, not the one that was converted into a zeon suit)

The graphics look almost exactly the same as the Journey to Jaburo game, but if it's coming out in Christmas of this year, than I'll more than likely get it, but I can't believe Bandai could do a good job, dubbing, and turning the text in english in just 3-4 months, unless you mean christmas of NEXT year.

PSM described the controls as a cross between ZOE and Armored Core, but I think it's being developed by Bandai so I won't get my hopes up...

You are wrong. Bandai does not develop games. Bandai is a publisher not a developer.

As for not getting your hopes up, Lost War Chronicles was the best Gundam game to ever grace any platform (except for SD Gundam). I doubt Bandai would screw Meguriau Sora.

i don't know, I was majorly dissapointed by Journey to Jaburo. I think I'll hang on until Aeug VS Titans.

Being a Capcom fan and a fan of Federation vs. Zeon, I'm halfway with you there, Keith. But since AEUG vs. Titans is only in the arcades, we gotta wait for them to get around to doing a Japanese console version, then the English version... EiS looks like enough fun to at least kill the wait for AEUG vs. Titans.

i don't know, I was majorly dissapointed by Journey to Jaburo. I think I'll hang on until Aeug VS Titans.

Being a Capcom fan and a fan of Federation vs. Zeon, I'm halfway with you there, Keith. But since AEUG vs. Titans is only in the arcades, we gotta wait for them to get around to doing a Japanese console version, then the English version... EiS looks like enough fun to at least kill the wait for AEUG vs. Titans.

I just hope they do a good job porting the game. Rempu Vs Zeon really showed the PS2 inability of running Naomi based games. <_<

You are wrong. Bandai does not develop games. Bandai is a publisher not a developer.

As for not getting your hopes up, Lost War Chronicles was the best Gundam game to ever grace any platform (except for SD Gundam). I doubt Bandai would screw Meguriau Sora.

Then I'm not wrong, PSM's wrong for listing Bandai under Publish/Development in the Oct. issue.

I'll only consider it if it surpasses Fed vs Zeon in the controls department.

PSM described the controls as a cross between ZOE and Armored Core, but I think it's being developed by Bandai so I won't get my hopes up...

Actually, Bandai does both. Sometimes they have other people do the games (usually arcade releases which Bandai then distributes on consoles) but it's usually Bandai making the games with some of their in house people. Don't forget that Bandai is a huge company that owns Gundam (literally, since Bandai owns Sunrise or whoever it is that makes the Gundam series).

Actually, Bandai does both. Sometimes they have other people do the games (usually arcade releases which Bandai then distributes on consoles) but it's usually Bandai making the games with some of their in house people. Don't forget that Bandai is a huge company that owns Gundam (literally, since Bandai owns Sunrise or whoever it is that makes the Gundam series).

Its still not Bandai who develops. Take Vivendi for example... they own a bunch of devs, but when credit has to be given for the dev of a game, its Vivendis many dev houses that get the credit. The same with Bandai.

If you look carefully in a game... you will find who really developed it. Banpresto is owned by Bandai... but in SRW games you still see the name Bampresto in it.

Admittedly, I never saw the arcade version, or even the DC version of Federation Vs Zeon, but what the hell is wrong with the PS2 version? I finally found a copy at ebworld brand new last month for $19.99, so I snagged it. Personally, I think it's a beautiful game, the renders are nice, (much more so than J to J), the control is great (I'm even getting used to the space batttles, though I've yet to get a newtype rank over D...), and the MS selection is increidble.

Just how much better did the other incarnations look?

Admittedly, I never saw the arcade version, or even the DC version of Federation Vs Zeon, but what the hell is wrong with the PS2 version? I finally found a copy at ebworld brand new last month for $19.99, so I snagged it. Personally, I think it's a beautiful game, the renders are nice, (much more so than J to J), the control is great (I'm even getting used to the space batttles, though I've yet to get a newtype rank over D...), and the MS selection is increidble.

Alot better. Seriously... if you even remotely like the PS2 version... you have to track down either the Arcade version or the DC version of the game.

They look at least 10x better then the PS2 version. But screen shots won't tell you that, you need to see them in motion.

The problem is... the PS2 was never made to handle DC games. Some DC to PS2 ports can show you that. And Fed vs Zeon was built on a Naomi board.... basically a DC.

Edited by Abombz!!

i know it isn't a space MS, but come on. how long til the Ez-8 gets some love?

It already did... in Lost War Chronicles. Thanks to the retards in charge of Bandai America, this game (along with the PS2 edition of Giren's Greed) was never brought over like other PS2 Gundam games.

Lost War Chronicles sports a vastly improved Journey to Jaburo engine. I have a feeling that Encounter in Space will probably suck like Journey to Jaburo (since these games are made by the same developer) and a year later they'll release a new game with a fine-tuned engine (like how Lost War Chronicles was a tweak on the Journey to Jaburo engine) which again will be a Japan-only title.

Ever notice how when a Gundam model kit gets released in the U.S., they got a new or better version in Japan?

Edit: replaced spaces with underscores

US______________________________Japan

HGUC Gundam w/out Core Fighter_____HGUC Gundam w/ Core Fighter

HGUC Gelgoog Marine (grunt)_________HGUC Gelgoog Marine Cima Custom

HGUC Dom Tropen__________________HGUC Dom Tropen Desert Type

1/144 Gundam Wing kits_____________1/144 Gundam Wing kits w/ pilot figures

MG Gundam_______________________MG Gundam v1.5

1/144 Hygoog_____________________HGUC Hygoog

1/144 Z'Gok E_____________________HGUC Z'Gok E

:angry:

Edited by Jolly Rogers

i know it isn't a space MS, but come on. how long til the Ez-8 gets some love?

It already did... in Lost War Chronicles. Thanks to the retards in charge of Bandai America, this game (along with the PS2 edition of Giren's Greed) was never brought over like other PS2 Gundam games.

Lost War Chronicles sports a vastly improved Journey to Jaburo engine. I have a feeling that Encounter in Space will probably suck like Journey to Jaburo (since these games are made by the same developer) and a year later they'll release a new game with a fine-tuned engine (like how Lost War Chronicles was a tweak on the Journey to Jaburo engine) which again will be a Japan-only title.

Ever notice how when a Gundam model kit gets released in the U.S., they got a new or better version in Japan?

Edit: replaced spaces with underscores

US______________________________Japan

HGUC Gundam w/out Core Fighter_____HGUC Gundam w/ Core Fighter

HGUC Gelgoog Marine (grunt)_________HGUC Gelgoog Marine Cima Custom

HGUC Dom Tropen__________________HGUC Dom Tropen Desert Type

1/144 Gundam Wing kits_____________1/144 Gundam Wing kits w/ pilot figures

MG Gundam_______________________MG Gundam v1.5

1/144 Hygoog_____________________HGUC Hygoog

1/144 Z'Gok E_____________________HGUC Z'Gok E

:angry:

Lets not even get started on the promised US release of a SD Gundam game. :angry:

The PS2 version is vastly inferior to the DC version graphically. This includes the bleached-out colors, poor explosion and transparency effects and probably more specifics I can't remember for now. While I have never seen the arcade version, many who did claimed the DC version was a perfect port except for a slight lag.

This link should bring you to loads of screen shots from the arcade version.

Edit in: click on another link when you've used the link above to go to IGN's ad page.

Edited by Jolly Rogers

1) There were a few reasons why Lost War Chronicles was not released, and I believe a lack of a coherent story line was one.

2) Ghiren's Greed will probably NOT see the light of day here because there is probably not enough demand for a Gundam strategy game here in the US (I know I would buy it).

3) Encounters in Space, which is currently scheduled for a US release in December, is the direct sequel to Journey to Jaburo. One of the PS2 packages for it in Japan includes a revised version of JTJ with improved gameplay. Hopefully Encounters plays better then JTJ! :)

4) The PS2 version of AEUG vs. Titans is slated for release in Japan in December. It would be sweet if a US version is released to coincide with whatever is going on with the US release of Zeta next year. :)

Edited by Apollo Leader

4) The PS2 version of AEUG vs. Titans is slated for release in Japan in December. It would be sweet if a US version is released to coincide with whatever is going on with the US release of Zeta next year. :)

*giggles like a school girl* I'm keeping my figers crossed for that! I think Zeta had some really nice MS designs. Maybe even the best of the UC mobile suits, after Char's Counter Attack. Nu Gundam is still my favorite.

1) There were a few reasons why Lost War Chronicles was not released, and I believe a lack of a coherent story line was one.

2) Ghiren's Greed will probably NOT see the light of day here because there is probably not enough demand for a Gundam strategy game here in the US (I know I would buy it).

3) Encounters in Space, which is currently scheduled for a US release in December, is the direct sequel to Journey to Jaburo. One of the PS2 packages for it in Japan includes a revised version of JTJ with improved gameplay. Hopefully Encounters plays better then JTJ! :)

1) Like the lack of a coherent story line has stopped Bandai from releasing crapfest games like those "Gundam Battle ASSault" games here. They probably fumbled when ditching the original dubbing studio that did the OYW OVAs and MSG in favor of some Canadian non-union shop, so fat chance of hearing consistent VAs on the US Gundam games, if they come out at all. The 0079 crew will also sound vastly different in Zeta Gundam, since they will be voiced by totally different people.

2) Bandai is simply too lazy to translate all the names, not to mention grabbing dozens of VAs to record the lines in English.

3) You speak of the limited edition box, which retails for ¥12,800, roughly $107 US dollars.

4) Based on the "something comes out in the US, we'll have something better that's Japan-only" pattern, I see AEUG vs Titans a Japan-only title now that Fed vs Zeon is available in US (see earlier post regarding model releases and LWC vs J2J).

Given the Bandai marketing monster, i expect at least two games next year for the US:

1. The SEED PS2 game to coincide with the American release of the series.

2. AEUG vs Titans to coincide with American release of Zeta.

Since the Bandai marketing monster likes multimedia tie-ins, having these suckers appear alongisde DVDs and MSiAs seems highly likely.

1) Like the lack of a coherent story line has stopped Bandai from releasing crapfest games like those "Gundam Battle ASSault" games here. They probably fumbled when ditching the original dubbing studio that did the OYW OVAs and MSG in favor of some Canadian non-union shop, so fat chance of hearing consistent VAs on the US Gundam games, if they come out at all. The 0079 crew will also sound vastly different in Zeta Gundam, since they will be voiced by totally different people.

Who the hell listens to dubs anyway?

Who the hell listens to dubs anyway?

More ppl then you can imagine. More ppl enjoy watching something dubbed then watching it subbed.... and you know that very well.

I don't follow gundam but I beleive I played this game in aug at Otakon in baltimore Maryland. Bandai had a large convention display area with videos, toys and some games.

I liked the game, the graphics seemed to be descent and the controls were easy to learn and use. I didn't get a whole bunch of time on it but I will probably buy it when it comes out.

You're right, Encounters in Space was at Otakon, I wanted to play while I was there, but by the time the line cleared up, I had to move on. It looks nice from what I saw there, but, as far as I've seen in screenshots, it looks like it's only taking place in space ....yes, I know, before anybody screams in agony, I'm well aware what the title of the game is. But space could also include some battles on colonies, on planet surfaces, inside of ships, etc. I don't know, that was just one thing I did like about Federation vs. Zeon, that both ground and space battles took place, so you just didn't get tired of one. I take it from people who have seen/played the game (since it was at least at Otakon) that it does only take place in space, yes?