Newbie Questions on Macross

Is there an official macross backstory of how britai got that metal plate bolted onto the side of his face? How could he have survived with 1/4 of his face blown off?

In the Mckinney robotech novels they explained it by saying it was a war wound from fighting the invid or something. :D

Also if Britai is superior to normal Zentradi, why couldn't they clone him instead of allowing inferior soldiers to be cloned? I'm thinking it's for control purposes to maintin order.

Were the Zentradi designs inspired by the legends and myths of giants that once roamed the earth? They were known as the Nephilim in the bible. I'm thinking that the Zentradi are the macross equivalent of the myths of real literal giants that were believed (by some religions) to have been fallen angels out of heaven (space) and that these had lived amoung men in ancient times. (I could give some references but I'm too lazy for now) I think they refer to themselves as satan's dolls in the macross tv series. That sparked a connection in my mind.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

this is pretty noob so here goes =)

http://www.theroseking.net/animehub/macross/highschool.jpg

i saw this picture on this site and i was wondering where its from because i dont recall this scene at all anywhere? can someone help me?

looks like flashback scenes from macross plus, probably from the movie version...

I'm pretty sure that's it exactly.

I really don't want to stick my crappy VHS tape in the VCR to check, though...

Is there an official macross backstory of how britai got that metal plate bolted onto the side of his face? How could he have survived with 1/4 of his face blown off?

Bad burns?

I don't believe there's an official tale.

We'll assume it covers some sort of old injury that didn't heal properly. And that said scar is a battle injury, because Britai isn't the kind of guy that loses an eye to his doorframe.

In the Mckinney robotech novels they explained it by saying it was a war wound from fighting the invid or something. :D

Invid, supervision army, same thing...

Well, not really...

But with a simple substitution of villains, and removing references to mystical voodoo gasoline...

Also if Britai is superior to normal Zentradi, why couldn't they clone him instead of allowing inferior soldiers to be cloned? I'm thinking it's for control purposes to maintin order.

Likely.

It's possible(probable?) that zentradi are engineered to their general rank.

Examples such as Exedol seem to support this assertation.

Ok i want to get this strait:

The ASS-1 is the Macross (pre-rebuild)

Macross Zero is takeing place before the crash of ASS-1??

so.. the valkyries, wich i thought were designed to fight a possible invasion of giant humanoids, were infact, giant robots designed to fight other giant robots in a program aparently started before anyone even knew about the aliens?

The SDF 1 crashed when Shin was a young boy....if you remember seeing Mac Zero 1 the 1st few scenes when he mentioned seeing "2 suns in the sky" and how beautiful they were. That was 2001. Probably 10-12 years old then. Mac Zero takes place in 2007 ish i think.....forgot.

Likely.

It's possible(probable?) that zentradi are engineered to their general rank.

Examples such as Exedol seem to support this assertation.

I'm willing to assume this is the case. I can remember something about him saying "I was not built to be quite as brittle as you" (in reference to being asked if he was ok) or something to that effect in the tv series after that close combat brawl with hikaru.

Exedol/Exedor I thought, was "born" deformed wasn't he? He kind of looks a bit uglier than the others hehe but the side effect may have been added intelligence? A larger brainstem?

the Zentraed never fought the Invid in Robotech. He more than likely got it fighting against the Disciples of Zor.

Ok I don't have the actual novel with me to check but from I remember the invid and zentreadi was fighting at some point (Dolza and Zor were surrounded by swarms of invid) and Britai at the time was the most trusted guard of Dolza and came in just in time. While he was fighting, I think an "annihlation disc" or some shrapnel hit his face and that's why the face plate. This was in the very first volume of the mckinney novels "genesis", and in the very first few pages before the events of the SDF1 crashing to earth. Anyway this is going in OT territory..

I'm willing to assume this is the case. I can remember something about him saying "I was not built to be quite as brittle as you" (in reference to being asked if he was ok) or something to that effect in the tv series after that close combat brawl with hikaru.

Exedol/Exedor I thought, was "born" deformed wasn't he? He kind of looks a bit uglier than the others hehe but the side effect may have been added intelligence? A larger brainstem?

Answer to why Britai is built better than your average Zentradi:

http://www.anime.net/macross/characters/k/...danik_vrlitwhai

Partial answer to Exsedol:

http://www.anime.net/macross/characters/f/...l#folmo_exsedol

This was in the very first volume of the mckinney novels "genesis", and in the very first few pages before the events of the SDF1 crashing to earth. Anyway this is going in OT territory..

<_< Nah, really......This is Macross territory...not Robotech. For Robotech answers, go to RT.com.

Commander-type zentradi.

Okay, that confirms it.

Zentradi are bred to their rank.

Yay.We now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread.

this is pretty noob so here goes =)

http://www.theroseking.net/animehub/macross/highschool.jpg

i saw this picture on this site and i was wondering where its from because i dont recall this scene at all anywhere? can someone help me?

looks like flashback scenes from macross plus, probably from the movie version...

I'm pretty sure that's it exactly.

I really don't want to stick my crappy VHS tape in the VCR to check, though...

acutally yea i checked teh movie edition... either that or i was much too tired and my eyes fell asleep at that point but i dont recall it in there =P grrr ill check again...

thanks guys

Partial answer to Exsedol:

http://www.anime.net/macross/characters/f/...l#folmo_exsedol

This was in the very first volume of the mckinney novels "genesis", and in the very first few pages before the events of the SDF1 crashing to earth. Anyway this is going in OT territory..

<_< Nah, really......This is Macross territory...not Robotech. For Robotech answers, go to RT.com.

Actually, I think he wants to know about Exedor as he was BEFORE Mikimoto whacked him even more with the ugly stick for his DYRL makeover. (It's funny, isn't it? Misa: Much more lovely. Minmay: Cuter. Roy: More rugged. Britai: More menacing. Exedor? Fuglier. If I were Mr. Formo, I'd be renegotiating my contract right now...:p)

The reason Exedor looks so wan, deformed and weak is because he was bred as a walking databank. He is basically a combination of a master tactician, historical encyclopedia and ancient Icelandic "lawspeaker" all in one package. He's not a soldier by any means of the imagination.

and I'll bet he had the ladies lined up around the block to see the massive tackle he's probably packing though!

Umm, 1st border, in the Mckinney novels it DID state that Breetai was injured in the face while fighting their "age old" enemies, the invid... sorry. One of those ultra rare instances when something is better explained in R-tech than it is in Macross

Edited by Skull Leader

Umm, 1st border, in the Mckinney novels it DID state that Breetai was injured in the face while fighting their "age old" enemies, the invid... sorry. One of those ultra rare instances when something is better explained in R-tech than it is in Macross

The question is... does it NEED explaining?

Does anyone ever point at a pirate movie and go "How come Long John Silver only has one eye?"

Same concept.

*snip* He is basically a combination of a master tactician...*snip*

Master tactician.....maybe....Walking databank/encyclopedia/glossary/thesaurus/manual/user's guide/information booth/etc... definitely.

Umm, 1st border,  in the Mckinney novels it DID state that Breetai was injured in the face while fighting their "age old" enemies, the invid... sorry. One of those ultra rare instances when something is better explained in R-tech than it is in Macross

Does anyone ever point at a pirate movie and go "How come Long John Silver only has one eye?"

Same concept.

well, when the whole idea of the space aliens is that they're some clone army without individuality and without placing importance on their lives.. to see unique individuals like breetai running around does kinda make me wonder why.... I mean, obvious he's damaged why wouldn't they just decant a new clone?

Umm, 1st border,  in the Mckinney novels it DID state that Breetai was injured in the face while fighting their "age old" enemies, the invid... sorry. One of those ultra rare instances when something is better explained in R-tech than it is in Macross

Same concept.

well, when the whole idea of the space aliens is that they're some clone army without individuality and without placing importance on their lives.. to see unique individuals like breetai running around does kinda make me wonder why.... I mean, obvious he's damaged why wouldn't they just decant a new clone?

A. He's not dead yet.

It might not even be a particularly serious injury. It could just be a vanity plate so no one sees his big ugly scar(though I'm betting it isn't).

B. Possibly life experience can't be easily passed from clone to clone.

That makes it better to repair an injured experienced commander than to shoot him amd pop a fresh one out of the tank.

And I thought individuality was quite present.

Look at Millia. Everyone in the fleet knew who she was, what she was capable of. It wasn't "some QRau pilot blew something up", it was "Millia Fallyna blew up her xxxx enemy in her xxxx flawless battle!" And when her streak was broken, her commanding officer honored her request to be micloned for purposes of engaging Max in a duel to repair her damaged, but still formidable, reputation.

And then there's Kamjin... He's got a reputation, but it's nothing but bad news.

If they shot people for injury, I'm SURE they'd shoot Kamjin for being a royal pain in the butt, instead of just taking him off battle duty.

Just 2 notable examples of rampant individuality in the ranks.

I do grant that the importance of lives didn't seem to go very far. Though more skilled/higher ranking pilots seemed to get better mechs, perhaps in an attempt to extend the life of individuals who'd proven worth keeping around.

Thanks, it explains a lot.

It all makes sense to me now. I bookmarked the compendium.

I would like to have seen a non-faceplate Breetai just out of curiosity. :D

They should have scrapped one of the less important episodes ("globals report" or something) and given a breetai flashback episode.

Does britai's faceplate shrink if he gets micronised?

Heh...nice touch! ;)

Actually, I think Long John Silver was just missing one leg... :p

yeah i know, completely out of topic...

What does SPACY means? is it engrish for space?

Did all the armed forces of the U.N. form the SPACY?

Think "Navy". Get it? The "y" at the end? :)<_<

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/encyclo...pacy/index.html

No. There are other branches of the UN Armed Forces.

Noted are:

UNS - UN Spacy (Space Navy, get it now????)

UNAF - UN Air Force

UNN - UN Navy

UNSAF- UN Space Air Force

UNSM- UN Space Marines

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/glossary/index.html

Space Navy.... is not correct

Space Forces...

The U. N. Spacy does not use Navy ranks. Only the U. N. Navy does. The Spacy uses Air Force/Army ranks. So Space Army or simply Space Forces might be more correct.

Studio Nue itself has not stated that the Spacy of "United Nations Spacy" specifically stands for "Space Force" or "Space Army." To claim otherwise is made-up speculation. The Japanese term for Spacy is "uchuugun." The same "-gun" is used for the Japanese term for navy ("kaigun"), army ("rikugun"), and air force ("kuugun"). Spacy uses the rough equivalent of World-War-II-era Imperial Japanese Army and modern United States Air Force/Army ranks for its ranks, but it also follows naval traditions for its overall hierarchy (fleets) and positions (CAG, ship captains).

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/encyclo..._nations_spacy/

Can a valk stall? Like I mean going straight up.

According to Masahiro Chiba (MAT), yes, a VF-1 Valkyrie can stall at an air speed of 115 knots during a sharp 20 degree turn-back maneuver,

This is unofficial, not credited properly, and inaccurate:

1) This material was written in the unofficial fan doujinshi by the Macross Attack Team (a.k.a. "Multi-configulation (sic) Analysis Team").

2) Masahiro Chiba was not responsible for the entire text in these fan doujinshi unless specifically credited to him.

3) In the entry about stall speed, the doujinshi do not say "during a sharp 20 degree turn-back maneuver" or any maneuver--this is a very bad mistranslation of a simple aviation term.

In the AnimEigo notes for the Box set, it states that the VEFR-1 is a 'non-macross ship' in addition to the Orguss Valkyrie. If this is the case, where is it from?

The liner notes for AnimEigo's Macross Box Set do not say that the VEFR-1 is a non-Macross ship. The VEFR-1 makes a special appearance in the climatic battle along with "several non-Macross ships designed by Studio Nue," but the VEFR-1 itself is not a "non-Macross ship."

http://www.animeigo.com/Liner/MACROSS.t

Grenade Box Protector is correct.

Yes, that was spelled out in Macross Hobby Handbook, but may not be completely official. Ground Battroid Protector may be more official.

I knew I'd read it somewhere, thanks Nanashi.

Where is it referred to as Ground Battroid Protector?

Excuse me, it should be "Ground Battle Protector" weapon system, while the Compendium says "Ground Combat Protector". Its not GCP-1S though... : P

Studio Nue has not stated that the "B" in GBP-1S specifically stands for "battle," "combat," or "battroid," and the Macross Compendium does not state this either. To claim otherwise is made-up speculation and misquoting.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...s/variable/vf1/

Just as AMM-1 should be "Amalgam-guided Multipurpose Missile", but Egan Loo chooses "Hybrid-guided Multipurpose Missile" The HMM-1 is another missile : P Another goof? ^_^;;

Amalgam/Hybrid/Composite.... the original Japanese word could be translated as either of them--its all a matter of what fits. In this case amalgam fits best.

Studio Nue has not stated that the "A" in AMM-01 specifically stands for "Amalgam-guided," "anti-ground," or "anti-giant." To claim otherwise is made-up speculation.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...s/variable/vf1/

Remember, this is the same kind of made-up speculation and assumptions that led people to erroneously claim that "ASCA" (the preliminary name for the Asuka II in Macross Zero) must stand for "Advanced Stealth CArrier" just because "its all a matter of what fits." In fact, Studio Nue had not stated that "ASCA" specifically stood for that phrase--or any phrase.

http://www.anime.net/macross/feedback/#200302

The Macross Compendium is specifically written (for example with "hybrid" in lowercase, not as it is deliberately misquoted above) to avoid the kind of assumptions seen above. Only when Studio Nue *specifically* notes that an acronym has a precise meaning does the Macross Compendium spell out the meaning in capital letters.

Can a valk stall? Like I mean going straight up.

According to Masahiro Chiba (MAT), yes, a VF-1 Valkyrie can stall at an air speed of 115 knots during a sharp 20 degree turn-back maneuver,

This is unofficial, not credited properly, and inaccurate:

1) This material was written in the unofficial fan doujinshi by the Macross Attack Team (a.k.a. "Multi-configulation (sic) Analysis Team").

2) Masahiro Chiba was not responsible for the entire text in these fan doujinshi unless specifically credited to him.

3) In the entry about stall speed, the doujinshi do not say "during a sharp 20 degree turn-back maneuver" or any maneuver--this is a very bad mistranslation of a simple aviation term.

Yes, Egan we know its unofficial already. I am sure to include that.

Masahiro Chiba et. al. is whom I credit if you read the MAT books' credit, Chiba is credited with being the producer and director.

: P

Yes, correction it says: "after an inverted 20 degree angle"

Masahiro Chiba et. al. is whom I credit if you read the MAT books' credit, Chiba is credited with being the producer and director.

The above post was not credited as such. Incidentally, A. Hoshi, not Masahiro Chiba, is the director of Macross Attack Team ("Multi-configulation Analysis Team").

Yes, correction it says: "after an inverted 20 degree angle"

The original Japanese does not say that either. Please stop compounding the translation errors.

we should all care about what we tell newbies.

No comment. ;)

This is true. I appreciate your corrections. But they must know about the great works of MAT.

Heh, just so everyone's clear, the original "what we tell newbies" quote is not from the Macross Attack Team discussion, but from a post mistakenly insisting that Spacy is derived from "Army" when Studio Nue hasn't stated this yet.

How did that valk pilot light that Zantran's cigarette with the GU-11 gunpod?

Animation mistake, half the time the Gu11 fired a solid laser bear, half the time it fired rounds... SDF-M just had poor animation and the script writers probably paid more attention to what they had seen on screen than they paid attention to the way things were supposed to be.

If Egan Loo is still watching, I wonder if he can say if there is an official "correct" way to pronounce Macross in English. In particular, does the second syllable rhyme with "cross", or does it have a long o, or something else? And which syllable is accented?

I want to know about the limits of the pinpoint barrier system and whether a giant green spot could be placed on a mech to cover its whole body to make it theoretically invincible. They managed to create a barrier that covered the whole sdf1 in "force of arms", so why not the whole earth? :D You'd think with all the money and resources they have to spend to send giant megaroads, and colony ships, they could make earth 1 giant SDF and fold the whole planet to another part of the universe. Combined with grand cannons on all sides, it would make for one awesome weapon (like a macross equivalent to the deathstar in star wars) lol

If they used this PPB trick, bowman could have destroyed the ghost with a kamikaze attack and not hurt himself in the process in M+ OVA. I would have like him to have defeated the drone similar to the character in mad max 2 (ie crashes directly into the enemy, is injured, but survives somehow.)

Maybe bowman's still alive and is just hiding? :ph34r: Could it be possible he ejected before the thing exploded and ended up marrying lucy and having kids with her after Dyson dropped the crazy stalker? B)) Perhaps like (the robotech version of) britai, he got metal plates on his face from the injury of the explosions and wanders around having lost his memory of the incident, but a side effect of that is his temper is gone? The ending of the OVA didn't tie things up!

And which events are canon in Macross plus? OVA or movie version?

*snip* He is basically a combination of a master tactician...*snip*

Master tactician.....maybe....Walking databank/encyclopedia/glossary/thesaurus/manual/user's guide/information booth/etc... definitely.

But then again...given the military mileliu of the Zents, and the fact that he's probably memorized every halfway decent military manuver of the Zentradi and Supervision Army over the past 50,000 years, I doubt that Britai only ever consulted him to help solve the morning crossword...:p