Looking for a low viz 1/48

toybotman

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to buy a 1/48 low viz VF-1A these days. I had been reluctant to jump on the 1/48 bandwagon, but now that I'm on, there's no getting off!

Ebay hasn't been very fruitful, since they don't come up often and I'm outbid every time. Also, what to folks think is a "reasonable" price for one of these bad boys?

In addition to my small collection of Bandai and Yamato 1/60s, I now have the 1/48 Hikaru VF-1S and Super VF-1J. I'm hooked and now would love to get a low viz.

Thank you!

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to buy a 1/48 low viz VF-1A these days.  I had been reluctant to jump on the 1/48 bandwagon, but now that I'm on, there's no getting off!

Ebay hasn't been very fruitful, since they don't come up often and I'm outbid every time.  Also, what to folks think is a "reasonable" price for one of these bad boys?

In addition to my small collection of Bandai and Yamato 1/60s, I now have the 1/48 Hikaru VF-1S and Super VF-1J.  I'm hooked and now would love to get a low viz. 

Thank you!

$200 - if you're super lucky

$250 - if you're lucky

$300 - if you're not so lucky

$350 - you might as well step in a pile of steamy shiet cause you're getting hosed

i haven't paid over $200 shipped for one of these suckers and i refuse to go any higher. if you stay lurking the boards here(like all the friggin time) you might see someone offer one up for about $250 or less but its rare....like once every 4 months or so.

good luck, you're gonna need it! :)

Yeah but the official one is a true limited edition thingy. It's not because it looks cool that a person would buy it, but just so they could say: "I'm the hardest core collector out there, view my awesome complete yamato macross collection. There will never be another valk like it released again".. and poke thier tongue out at others. And remember there is always some person willing to fork out wads of cash for things in years to come. IF the prices keep rising think of all it in the future when it becomes rare.

:D

Sorry, while it's true that I collect these things for their value, it's not the monetary value that I'm interested in. I collect them for their nostalgic value to me.

I'm not buying these toys as some sort of weird investment, that's what the stock market and real estate are for.

As for modding a regular VF-1A into a low-viz, I'd do it in a second if I had any modelling skills or the time. As the father of a 1-yr old boy, I barely have time for work and sleep, let alone the time it would take to do a good job on a project like that.

I appreciate the help in finding a low-viz. It's just a very nice looking and unique rendition of a mecha design I've loved since I was a kid. That's all.

i'm interested on a 1/48 low viz also...$250 - $280.

i didn't have the money when they came out...$127-$140...and suddenlty they were selling on ebay for $180...then $220...myself and some others maybe SOL like you said...but check out this guy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WD1V

ain't that crazy?

that's almost 3 perfect grades!

I'm not buying these toys as some sort of weird investment, that's what the stock market and real estate are for.

Yeah I know you weren't. But the comment references those who have no problem holding onto LE things for years and years by explaining that a painted fake just ain't the same even though it could well be superior in every way.

And making money isn't always what collectors collect stuff for. There are collectors that only colect stuff that they have a personal interest in. Say basketball cards or something, where they will trade lots of good cards to get thier hands on a rare card they really want. But once they have it, they still have absolutely no intention of selling that particular hard-to-get item for cash when they first began collecting. ....even when they know the market value is going up and they could get money for it. It's kind of like the feeling of knowing you have something that is valuable to you personally and also knowing it is not too mass-produced that makes it special which is why you wish to keep the item.

Like if I was a world famous artist who made a one-of-a-kind painting for you, and because it was the original, and the only one in the world, to you it might seem "priceless". You don't really care about the money you could get for it, because maybe you just care more about having the original painting itself for whatever reason. (some mad fetish for anything that is an original work?)

You'll note that on ebay prices for things can often times be just made up from out of somebody's ass, and when enough people get used to seeing the price for that thing as a standard for it's real value, they begin to accept it and bite the bullet if they are desperate to have something they personally really can't do without.(in the end it's really just a matter of how well-off that person is, or how desperate and fanatical the buyer is)

In the end painting a vf1a grey and making it superior to the original official low vis won't be the same to Mr. Mad collector as owning the rare real one (say in years and years from now) because it just wouldn't count as an LE. (now I'm not reffering to you, just certain collectors in general) Just as a first-print comic book (maybe somehting from half a century ago?) that is actually a real "product of its time of release" in actual history just isn't the same as the exact same thing if it happened to be reproduced in a later period of time. Say, like a recent reprinting of the comic - they may look the same, be the same, and have the same use, but one item was the genuine version from 50 years back. Ones ancient, (like some kind of special sword forged by a famous master swordsmith from a bygone era - ok a little overboard there :D) ...and the other is recent. But the genuine version is a piece of history that has almost died and become forgotten so its real version is all the more special even though it might be almost exactly like its recent reproduced brother.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

i'm interested on a 1/48 low viz also...$250 - $280.

i didn't have the money when they came out...$127-$140...and suddenlty they were selling on ebay for $180...then $220...myself and some others maybe SOL like you said...but check out this guy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WD1V

ain't that crazy?

that's almost 3 perfect grades!

Hmmm, that guy is in my town. I think I know him. I wonder if he would accept 400 AUD cash. I gotta check him out. He might be shifty, no matter how much positive ratings he's got, Victoria Park is only a 25 minute drive. Why does he have to live in a ghetto?

Edited by kensei

Besides the limited availibility and the realistic paint job, I believe part of the collectability had to do with that the Low-Viz VF-1A was a tie-in to Macross Zero - the pilot wore a Macross Zero flight suit and helmet.

Besides the limited availibility and the realistic paint job, I believe part of the collectability had to do with that the Low-Viz VF-1A was a tie-in to Macross Zero - the pilot wore a Macross Zero flight suit and helmet.

s'not why i got one. personally i like macross dispite mZero.

dont give up hope on finding a valk man. I posted a long time ago the same problem you are, there were plenty of people jumping on me sayin "yeah right, good luck buddy"

eventually someone who could help (and not discourage) showed up and offered me a transaction.

it'll be harder now a days, but if you don't try, you can't win, right?

don't give up. the low viz is worth it.