Spider-man 3 Thread

Bryce Dallas Howard cast as Gwen Stacy in "Spider-Man 3"

POSTED ON 01/19/06 AT 5:00 P.M.

BY THOMAS CHAU

Ain't it Cool News (http://www.aintitcool.com) broke the news last night that Bryce Dallas Howard ("The Village") has been cast as Gwen Stacy in "Spider-Man 3."

Fans of the "Spider-Man" comic books will know Gwen as Peter Parker's first love interest, who eventually dies in the comic book after a battle involving the Green Goblin.

Details of her character remain unclear but it is known that she will be involved in a love triangle between Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson.

Stacy joins Thomas Haden Church (Sandman) and Topher Grace (Venom), as well as returning cast members Topher Grace, Kirsten Dunst, and James Franco. Sony/Columbia Pictures is aiming to release "Spider-Man 3" next summer, 2007.

http://www.cinecon.com/news.php?id=0601191

Bryce Dallas Howard cast as Gwen Stacy in "Spider-Man 3"

POSTED ON 01/19/06 AT 5:00 P.M.

BY THOMAS CHAU

Ain't it Cool News (http://www.aintitcool.com) broke the news last night that Bryce Dallas Howard ("The Village") has been cast as Gwen Stacy in "Spider-Man 3."

Fans of the "Spider-Man" comic books will know Gwen as Peter Parker's first love interest, who eventually dies in the comic book after a battle involving the Green Goblin.

Details of her character remain unclear but it is known that she will be involved in a love triangle between Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson.

Stacy joins Thomas Haden Church (Sandman) and Topher Grace (Venom), as well as returning cast members Topher Grace, Kirsten Dunst, and James Franco. Sony/Columbia Pictures is aiming to release "Spider-Man 3" next summer, 2007.

http://www.cinecon.com/news.php?id=0601191

362125[/snapback]

I just read this and here's what I posted somewhere else:

Well I asked how much it could get worse.

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?a...8&obj_id=50495#

They're gonna introduce Gwen Stacy now? After they already did the Brooklyn Bridge/Green Goblin scene with MJ?

This shows me how little planning they did with this series as a trilogy, when they shot the first one. That's what you get when you disregard lore and origin with respect to the original material.

As much as I liked Bryce Dallas as an actress, she's all wrong for the Gwen Stacy role.

I usually just say, "I'm not into the OC style story of the Spider-Man films but I live the action sequences" and leave it at that to avoid being a whiny fanboy... but news of bringing in Gwen Stacy now just sounds incredibly stupid.

It almost sounds like they're just throwing in characters for the sake of having them now. I'm not really sure what the point is of bringing Gwen in when Raimi and co already have done the "Gwen Stacy death drop" in Spidey 1. Except with MJ. And she lived.

Then we've got Venom (and the symbiote) and Sandman, and of course, Harry Osbourne who may or may not wear the goblin costume in this one. It's starting to seem like too much for a 2 hour movie. It seems like a cop out to add bad guys just to add them. I'm almost suprised they aren't just going for the full sinister six line up at this point.

Besides, this going to be teh suck just because it's obvious that Bryce's hands are way too small, Topher Grace will always be a dumbass, and Mary Jane never had a snaggletooth. :lol:

It almost sounds like they're just throwing in characters for the sake of having them now.  I'm not really sure what the point is of bringing Gwen in when Raimi and co already have done the "Gwen Stacy death drop" in Spidey 1.  Except with MJ.  And she lived. 

Then we've got Venom (and the symbiote) and Sandman, and of course, Harry Osbourne who may or may not wear the goblin costume in this one.  It's starting to seem like too much for a 2 hour movie.  It seems like a cop out to add bad guys just to add them.  I'm almost suprised they aren't just going for the full sinister six line up at this point. 

362141[/snapback]

What I'm hearing is Gwen will not die in this one.

• 3 weeks later...

topher...venom? <_< eddie brock looked like a freakin' thug before he even got the symbiot suit... i still would've rather have seen him as the vulture... damn this is just as bad as having jack black as the green lantern... <_<

topher...venom?  <_< eddie brock looked like a freakin' thug before he even got the symbiot suit... i still would've rather have seen him as the vulture... damn this is just as bad as having jack black as the green lantern... <_<

367862[/snapback]

What I've heard is, they are going with the Eddie Brock from Ultimate Spider-man, not the original character-origin. This makes Eddie a child-hood friend of Peter's. (Google the story, since I don't really want to). This would potentially make it easier to tell Venom's origin as oppose to a symbiote from space that attaches to Spidey.

• 3 weeks later...
Official Teaser Poster for Spider-Man 3 is out!

Click for larger version (387kb).

th_48530_892.jpg

373250[/snapback]

Black Spidey, but not really? That scale-texture looks new... symbiote/protoplastmic Ultimates suit?

Sigh, the more I hear about my favorites being adapted this way or that for a new audience and a hipper generation, the older I feel.

Back in my day, Venom was a body builder and an alien symbiote picked up from the Secret Wars. And we liked it. [/old SNL reference]

Black Spidey, but not really?  That scale-texture looks new... symbiote/protoplastmic Ultimates suit?

Sigh, the more I hear about my favorites being adapted this way or that for a new audience and a hipper generation, the older I feel.

Back in my day, Venom was a body builder and an alien symbiote picked up from the Secret Wars.  And we liked it.  [/old SNL reference]

373299[/snapback]

The scale-texture is the same they've used for the suit in the past 2 movies. It's just been adapted for a black look and it looks like they made it more pronounced than the red/blue suit, cuz you can really see it. They even used the same material for the Superman Returns costume.

Another reason they might have gone with Topher Grace for the part of Brock is maybe to create a "dark" version of Spidey. Someone who matches Tobey Maguire's smaller build instead of a body builder.

C'mon guys, the movie doesn't come out until May 2007, but we're complaining already? I know the Sony site says it's a black costume, but it doesn't really look that way. My first impression is that everything is just dark and in grays for dramatic effect.

Edited by ChrisG

Another reason they might have gone with Topher Grace for the part of Brock is maybe to create a "dark" version of Spidey. Someone who matches Tobey Maguire's smaller build instead of a body builder.

373401[/snapback]

As good as Mcguire is, I still think maybe they should have just gotten Topher for Peter Parker to begin with. Topher's sarcastic deliveries would have fit Spiderman's witty one-liners just a little better.

SPOILER!!!

I hear Venom is going to be only slightly bigger than spidey, not the rippling mass of muscle and goo we're used to. The teeth and tongue are there, but not so pronounced as in the comics. WHY?! OH WHY?!

Edited by Sundown

Are you sure that isn't a teaser poster for the PS3?  (You know how the PS3 uses the same font :p ).

Looks like dark times for Peter Parker next year...

373265[/snapback]

As soon as I saw this image I had thought similar, but along the lines of a moody movie poster. They had better change the suit though! Because dyeing the new one doesn't really work at all. <_<

• 1 month later...

i'm still a bigger fan of the original spidey symbiote suit where the white spider wraps around the chest. I really liked Venom growing up, i hope they do like they did in the comics where Brock was big without the suit but then huge with the suit.

i'm still a bigger fan of the original spidey symbiote suit where the white spider wraps around the chest.  I really liked Venom growing up, i hope they do like they did in the comics where Brock was big without the suit but then huge with the suit.

385734[/snapback]

Topher Grace isn't that big so i doubtI don't think they can make Venom big...without CGI.

And the pic is a fake. Someone on SHH's forum confirmed it. It's a photoshop of a scene in Spidey 2.

i'm still a bigger fan of the original spidey symbiote suit where the white spider wraps around the chest.  I really liked Venom growing up, i hope they do like they did in the comics where Brock was big without the suit but then huge with the suit.

385734[/snapback]

Topher Grace isn't that big so i doubtI don't think they can make Venom big...without CGI.

And the pic is a fake. Someone on SHH's forum confirmed it. It's a photoshop of a scene in Spidey 2.

385761[/snapback]

Damn!!! :angry:

• 1 month later...

TBHWY, I would be glad if they chose Venom to be the next Villain in the third Spiderman movie. It would also be cool if the also added Gladys Cassidy, better known as the Maximum Carnage into the movie as a surprise villain. When it comes to making movies based off comic book characters, I think the one villain with the most sinister, viscous and appealing appearances is the best villain to use and I think Sam Raimi should to use Venom. Venom is my favorite Spider-man villain and here are some other's:

Tombstone

Maximum Carnage

Kraven

Doc Ock

TBHWY, I would be glad if they chose Venom to be the next Villain in the third Spiderman movie. It would also be cool if the also added Gladys Cassidy, better known as the Maximum Carnage into the movie as a surprise villain. When it comes to making movies based off comic book characters, I think the one villain with the most sinister, viscous and appealing appearances is the best villain to use and I think Sam Raimi should  to use Venom.

403781[/snapback]

Topher Grace is playing Eddie Brock. There are a few threads on SuperHeroHype.com with some set shots of Topher on set. He's got the look of Brock down pretty well.

More set shots:

http://www.lighthousenews.us/

As for Venom....

Thanx for the link Azrael. As for this Topher Grace guy as Brock, I've never heard of him and I pretty much take it that this is his first time acting. I had no idea that they were going to cast a young guy for the role as Eddy Brock. I thought Brock was in his mid to late 30's or something. I never saw what he officially looked like in the comic book as I never keep up with that stuff but I do keep up with the 90's spider man cartoon and I assumed that he was in his 30's or so.

TBHWY, I would be glad if they chose Venom to be the next Villain in the third Spiderman movie. It would also be cool if the also added Gladys Cassidy, better known as the Maximum Carnage into the movie as a surprise villain. When it comes to making movies based off comic book characters, I think the one villain with the most sinister, viscous and appealing appearances is the best villain to use and I think Sam Raimi should  to use Venom. Venom is my favorite Spider-man villain and here are some other's:

Tombstone

Maximum Carnage

Kraven

Doc Ock

403781[/snapback]

It's Cletus Cassidy my man.

Thanx for the link Azrael. As for this Topher Grace guy as Brock, I've never heard of him and I pretty much take it that this is his first time acting. I had no idea that they were going to cast a young guy for the role as Eddy Brock. I thought Brock was in his mid to late 30's or something. I never saw what he officially looked like in the comic book as I never keep up with that stuff but I do keep up with the 90's spider man cartoon and I assumed that he was in his 30's or so.

403809[/snapback]

Not at all. Topher was the star of That 70's Show, and he's been in quite a few movies. As for his age, Topher Grace is 28, which makes him about 3 years younger than Tobey Maguire.

403809[/snapback]

Not at all. Topher was the star of That 70's Show, and he's been in quite a few movies. As for his age, Topher Grace is 28, which makes him about 3 years younger than Tobey Maguire.

403820[/snapback]

topher was in that small movie, good company or something... bunch of no names, like scarlet something or other and one of those quaid brothers.

:p

Major Spoiler!

Former Marvel Studios CEO Avi Arad has confirmed there'll be four villains in Spidey 3. Sandman, Venom, Green Goblin, and a unconfirmed baddie.

404879[/snapback]

(Spoilers, Highlight to read)

Green Goblin's role will be minor from what I hear. The movie will focus mostly on Sandman and Venom. James Franco is scheduled to be back in this movie and considering the ending to the last movie, we've been expecting GG to come back as under Harry Osbourne/GG. Rumor has it that the #4 villian is looking to be the Lizard. Dylan Baker is also scheduled to come back as Dr. Connors. But could be Black Cat, could be Rhino, or Shocker, or....you get the idea.

Arad also mentions that the big white spider logo has been reserved for something else. So there is still a chance that we may see still see the proper black suit. I have a feeling that the symbiote is just latched onto the old Spidey suit. When it seperates, we may see the black suit when it attaches itself to that certain individual.