DYRL - DVD Subtitle Upgrade

Hurin

Have the official 2016 release of the Blu-Ray?  These subtitles are available for that release here.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

THE DVD YOU CREATE USING THIS PROCESS WILL HAVE FULL, UNTOUCHED VIDEO/AUDIO QUALITY AND WILL BE REGION-FREE.

5/18/2005 Update:

• Fixed oversight where fade-in menu transition showed option on main menu that does not actually exist! Now removed.
  • Changed Hikaru to 2nd Lieutenant (from Ensign) in beginning.
  • Changed it so that Minmay refers to him simply as Lieutenant instead of "Mr. Ensign."
  • Changed all references to Roy Focker's rank to "Major" (instead of Commander).
  • Changed all references to Misa's rank (prior to return from earth) to Captain.
  • Changed all references to Misa's rank (after return to Macross) to Major.
  • Changed Max's rank to "Captain" during period surrounding the Milia vs Max battle.
  • Changed Admiral "Gloval" to "Global". . . because this is Macross, dammit.

This upgrade grafts high-quality and "natural-sounding" subtitles to your official Bandai/Emotion Region 2 DVD release of Macross: Do you Remember Love.

Best of all, there is no image quality loss. The video and audio streams are untouched.

FINALLY: YOUR OUTPUT FROM THIS PROJECT WILL BE REGION-FREE.

Please Note: You must already own the Bandai/Emotion DYRL DVD to be able to do this. There's nothing wrong going on here. :)

THE FILES PROVIDED HERE WILL ONLY WORK WITH THE BANDAI/EMOTION REGION 2 DVD.

If you have another release of the DVD, please check here.

(These look better on your televsion/computer. JPEG compression is visible in these web-ready images)

menucapture.jpg

The outer black area will not be visible on a television due to overscan (border of your television obscuring the screen).

capture1.jpg

capture2.jpg

capture3.jpg

capture4.jpg

Things You Will Need

To Generate the New DVD files

1. A copy of the Bandai/Emotion "Perfect Edition" of DYRL. You can buy this at CD Japan among other places. Yes, that price is pretty standard for official Japanese DVDs.
  2. This ZIP file. This file must be extracted to a very specific place (see instructions below). It contains the substream file, a DVD-Lab Pro project file, etc.
  3. A program called DVD Decrypter. This program will extract the DYRL DVD to your hard drive so that we can work with its files. It's getting harder to find this program since its author started getting hassled by "the man." However, at least for now, it's still available here.
  4. A program called DVD-Lab Pro (download). This is the program that we will use to work with the files that are extracted by DVD Decrypter. It's free and fully functional for 30 days. After that, you should pay. But you shouldn't need it for more than a day or two unless you get in the habit of doing this sort of thing.
  5. A computer with a DVD drive.
  6. Approximately 20GB of free hard drive space. Though, when you are done, this shrinks down to the size of a DVD (about 8GB).

For Playback

You have at least three options here:

1. If you have a DVD burner that is capable of burning to "dual-layer" or "double-layer" media, you should be able to burn the results of our labor to a DVD that will play on your table-top DVD player. The resulting DVD will be region-free. This is the highly recommended option.
  2. You could use 'DVD Shrink' to compress the result of all this onto a standard (non-dual-layer) DVD that would then play on your table-top DVD player as well. However, I'm a purist and I don't want to lose any image quality, so that's out for me.
  3. Of course, the resulting DVD files will be playable on your computer as long as you have DVD player software installed. Basically, if you can watch a DVD on your computer now, you can watch this DVD when we're done. However, the Bandai/Emotion Region 2 DVD has some issues when playing back on a computer of which you should be aware. I wrote a review of the DVD that discusses these issues here.

Getting Started

Downloading and Extracting the ZIP File

1. Download the ZIP file mentioned above.
  2. Using Winzip or the file decompressor of your choice (Windows XP has one built in), extract the ZIP file to the root of your C: drive. This file must be extracted to the top level ("root") of your C: drive so that its directory structure is C:\macross-dyrl-r2. (screenshot).
    When in doubt, just type C:\ where it asks you for the destination path. Then check out the screenshot above to make sure things look right. The ZIP file extracts to its own folder named "macross-dyrl-r2" so it will not flood your hard drive with strange files. I wish I could make this last bit flash in bright neon because this has tripped up more than a couple of people. The ZIP file, by default, wants to unzip to a folder based on the ZIP file's filename. You must override this and just tell it to unzip to C:\ and nothing more. The ZIP file contains a folder, so your C: drive won't be messed up. But you must have the correct folder name and directory structure for the rest of these instructions to work.

DVD Decrypter

1. Put your copy of DYRL (Bandai/Emotion Region 2 Release) in your DVD drive.
  2. Open up DVD Decrypter and choose Tools along the top. Then click Settings.
  3. Click the IFO Mode tab and set everything up like this image. Then click OK.
  4. After clicking OK, click Mode along the top, then choose IFO.
  5. Now click the Stream Processing tab on the right. You should see something like this image.
  6. Note that DVD Decrypter should have automatically detected the two files you will need and each of them is already checked:
    • Click the first stream (video) to highlight it. Make sure that you only highlight it and do not uncheck it. Then click Demux below. (screenshot)
    • Click the second stream (audio) to highlight it. Make sure that you only highlight it and do not uncheck it. Then click Demux below. (screenshot)

[*]Click the "Folder/Hourglass" icon and then select "C:\macross-dyrl-r2\Demuxed DVD" as the destination path. (screenshot)

[*]When you're ready, press the green arrow to begin "demux"-ing (screenshot). Now, wander away for about twenty minutes to an hour. . . when it's done, you should have a bunch of files resembling this image in C:\macross-dvd\Demuxed DVD\.

We're now done with DVD Decrypter.

DVD-Lab Pro

1. Open DVD-Lab Pro. Click Continue and/or OK until you get past the introductory screens. What you choose here does not matter because we will be opening up a stored project in the next step.
  2. Click File along the top menu. Then click Open.
  3. Navigate to C:\macross-dyrl-r2\Project File\
  4. Open macross-dyrl-r2-perfect-subs.dal
  5. You should then see a bunch of stuff pop up on the screen. You can ignore all this stuff. If you are the adventurous type, feel free to explore things a bit. However, if you think you might have messed something up, just be sure not to save and re-open the file above.
  6. Click Project along the top menu. Then click Compile DVD.
  7. Confirm that all settings look like this.
  8. Set the destination path to whatever you wish. Though, a place for the Final DVD Image is provided at c:\macross-dyrl-r2\Final DVD Image\.
  9. Click Start. Your hard drive should go a little crazy, and it will say: "Frame Indexing Movie 1." The frame indexing is done only once as long as you retain the IDX file that it will be placing in your C:\macross-dyrl-r2\Demuxed DVD\ directory. Future compilations (if necessary) will not require frame indexing.
  10. After it has finished frame indexing, you'll jump back to the main window but will see a log on the left side reporting your progress. (screenshot)
    Note: Sometimes, for some reason, the DVD doesn't compile completely the first time. The log says "Start building video manager" and then only a few seconds later, says "done." But there are no files created. If this happens to you, just start the compilation up again. When you see "Muxing in progress" in the little log to the left, and your hard drive starts to go a bit crazy, you'll know you're in business!

After about 30-60 minutes, the log should report "Done." At that point, you have a brand new DVD image. You're now ready to burn it to a DVD, watch it on your computer, or copy it over to your HTPC.

Edited by Hurin

dejr8bud  Posted on Mar 22 2005, 04:09 PM

Cool. I'll have to try this...too bad I have only a single layer burner though...damn it.

After a a lot of issues with my version of the FX DYRL DVD I was finally able to burn using my dual layer burner (those subs are GREAT, Hurin). As for single layer burners, some burning programs have the ability to span multiple disks. Anybody know of one? I'll check to see if I can find any.

After a a lot of issues with my version of the FX DYRL DVD I was finally able to burn using my dual layer burner

Just so others reading aren't confused: The files provided in this thread won't work with the fx release of this DVD. He's referring to this thread where I provided the means to do this for the fx DVD.

This version does differ with the one I did for the FX version in the following ways:

• I changed a couple of lines subtely to make them sound more natural or more clear.
  • I changed one line a bit more signifigantly so that it would be more clear (though still not toally!) why Bodolza suddenly fires on the Macross as well as the Meltrandi when he had just concluded a peace treaty with the Macross.
  • Each and every freakin' line of dialogue has been nudged (by hand) +/- 100ms to 500ms. This should make the subtitles a bit more "crisp" and snappy than the ones I did for the fx DVD. This process probably took about 30 hours!

(those subs are GREAT, Hurin)

Thank you! But I can't take all the credit. Ali Sama and Mechamaniac provided quite a good script a long time ago for use with external subtitle players on a computer. It provided the basis for the vast majority of the translations. I also picked and chose from a few other scripts I found online.

Although, by now, I've mangled that script so much (especially the timings) that it's probably unrecognizable to them! :lol:

H

Edited by Hurin

There was one song lyric that wasn't properly showing at the top of the screen (rather than the bottom). That's now fixed and the time-stamp at the top of this thread is updated.

H

Darn it! I found another one. Fixed now. I think it's all good now. I watched the 2nd half of the movie and everything was perfect except one. That one is now fixed.

H

This should get stickied.

I'm sure mods have seen it. But, apparently, stickiness isn't in the cards. :)

Though really, it's a shame that after a few weeks, the only way a MWer will know about the availability of this is through my signature. . .

But, that's all I'll say since it's not really my place to demand/request sticky status. I'd just sorta be honored if it happened. :o

H

Edit: the fx version of this upgrade got a lot more attention, page views, and responses.

But, this upgrade to the official R2 version is not only intended for the legitimate DVD owner, but also is better in many ways to the one I did for the fx. I don't plan on doing any more work on the fx version. I'd rather encourage people to get the official R2 one by offering this version with (even) better timed subs. I watched my fx version a few days ago and I must say that, though the sub timing is pass-able on it, my work on the R2 DVD is vastly superior. . . if I do say so myself. :)

Edited by Hurin

[*]Each and every freakin' line of dialogue has been nudged (by hand) +/- 100ms to 500ms. This should make the subtitles a bit more "crisp" and snappy than the ones I did for the fx DVD. This process probably took about 30 hours!

Man, this is going to be sw337!!

I have SO much respect for you doing that H, the brief time that I spent hand nudging subs was enough to A - Drive me mad, and B - convince me that there was no way in hell that I would have the time to do the whole flick!.

Hey, thanks for the hard work, buddy.

Gonna start ripping the disc tonight and authoring tomorrow morning.

I'll let you know how it comes out. ;)

Sadly I have to do it on DVD5 cus thats all I got.. :(

EDIT: Just finished compiling the image and there's no subtitle stream on the disc. Followed your directions to the letter. Only strange thing I noticed was when I opened the project file in dvdlab, it couldnt find the demuxed audio/video and asked me to locate them, which I did. Then everything else went fine.

But, as I said, no subtitle stream is on the disc.

EDIT #2: I see the problem, it HAS to be on the C:\ drive for whatever stupid reason.

Sucks for me cus my C:\ partition is 20gb and I have no way to fit 7gb of data onto it if I tried. (I have several larger paritions thathave plentyof room)

:/

Any way around this?

EDIT #3: I figured it out while I was in the shower. :p Really simple solution: put the demuxed files anywhere you want, and when dvdlab asks where they are, tell it. Only the files in the .zip archive need to be in the root directory.

Yay!

Edited by kazuo

kazuo, sorry I never responded. I didn't notice the edits because they didn't cause the thread to be updated and moved to the top of the forum page.

Looks like you got it figured out though. Congrats!

H

• 4 weeks later...

5/1/2005 Update:

• Menus optimized for 16:9 widescreen televisions.
  • Subtitles now no longer appear "stretched" on standard (4:3) televisions.
  • There are now two subtitle streams included. One for 16:9 televisions and one for 4:3 televisions. The DVD player automatically selects the appropriate subtitle stream based upon what type of TV (16:9 widescreen or 4:3 standard) you selected in your DVD player's setup menu. In case this "auto-detection" fails (unlikely!), you can view the alternate subtitle format by choosing subtitle stream 2 during playback using your DVD player's subtitle button.
  • Subtitles are now on by default. You can turn them off at the main menu or during playback using your DVD player's subtitle button.
  • Some minor dialogue changes.
  • Some puncuation consistency changes.
  • A cool intro screen added. Thanks to Solscud007 for the logo!

Okay.

Since I want to support Macross and buy the Bandai version, my next question will be; Can one burn a region 2 DVD on any DVD burner? Or does one have to change the region setting on any DVD burner to region 2?

Okay.

Since I want to support Macross and buy the Bandai version, my next question will be; Can one burn a region 2 DVD on any DVD burner? Or does one have to change the region setting on any DVD burner to region 2?

When you use DVD Decrypter, it will remove any region encoding as it decryptes/demuxes the DVD to your hard drive. Your DVD drive can be set to any region while it does so. Then, when you compile the new DVD and burn it to your blank media, the new DVD will be region-free.

H

Okay.

When you use DVD Decrypter, it will remove any region encoding as it decryptes/demuxes the DVD to your hard drive. Your DVD drive can be set to any region while it does so. Then, when you compile the new DVD and burn it to your blank media, the new DVD will be region-free.

H

Okay, cool. B))

Thanks Hurin! :D

Woops. A select few of the subtitles in the 4:3 stream weren't quite fitting on the screen. It wasn't major. But it's now fixed. Widescreen was unaffected.

It has come to my attention (thanks Mechamaniac) that I got some of the ranks wrong in the subtitles. Hikaru introduces himself to Minmay as "Sho-i" which is "Ensign" in the Japanese Navy. . . but is "2nd Lieutenant" in the Japanese Army. I agree with Mechamaniac that "Ensign" was probably the wrong choice in that situation and that it should say 2nd Lieutenant instead. After all, I don't think the UN Spacy would let Ensigns fly valkyries!

There is a similar problem with Misa's rank. That should be fixed and made more consisent as well.

I think (I don't have the ability to check right now) that I got the ranks right when they are introduced on the stage where they join Minmay late in the film. But it's annoying (at least to me) that they aren't consistent throughout.

I'll post a quick note when I fix the substream files. May be a few days.

5/18/2005 Update:

• Fixed oversight where fade-in menu transition showed option on main menu that does not actually exist! Now removed.
  • Changed Hikaru to 2nd Lieutenant (from Ensign) in beginning.
  • Changed it so that Minmay refers to him simply as Lieutenant instead of "Mr. Ensign."
  • Changed all references to Roy Focker's rank to "Major" (instead of Commander).
  • Changed all references to Misa's rank (prior to return from earth) to Captain.
  • Changed all references to Misa's rank (after return to Macross) to Major.
  • Changed Max's rank to "Captain" during the period surrounding the Milia vs Max battle.
  • Changed Admiral "Gloval" to "Global". . . because this is Macross, dammit.

All ranks should now be accurate. I verified each change as best I could. When in doubt, I listened for the actual Japanese word and consulted this page.

Thanks to Mechamaniac for pointing out the problems with Hikaru's and Misa's rank. While fixing those, I also noticed a couple bad references to Roy's and Max's rank as well. All are now fixed.

Edited by Hurin

You can purchase it from YesAsia.com or from Amazon Japan. It ain't cheap though.

Also, be aware of the interlacing issues it displays on a computer screen as described in my review of the DVD here.

I'm actually working on a way to remove these display issues from the video stream. Basically, I'm looking at doing a process called IVTC to the video stream. However, the original DVD was mastered so poorly (just dumped as interlaced video into an MPEG encoder) that I have to do it manually. Usually, as long as the DVD was mastered even semi-competently, you can use a relatively automated to IVTC a 30fps video stream back to its original 24fps film frames. But not in this case. IVTC-ing of any kind does entail re-encoding the video to MPEG. And while I don't think any visual quality loss will be visible to the naked eye (and there is quite an increase in quality due to the removal of the interlacing issues for a net gain in quality), it's a looong process of looking at each and every field and frame of video in the stream (That's something like 400,000 frames). After a whole week, I'm only at frame 5,000. And, to throw more doubt on the project, it may not work out in the end. But, if it does, we'll have the ability for everyone who downloads these subtitles to also have the option of transforming the video stream back to a very close approximation of the original 24fps film rather than the mangled 30fps interlaced (and then re-interlaced) video stream currently on the DVD.

Best Regards,

Hurin

• 3 weeks later...

DVD Decypter's website was recently shut down by its creator because The Man has been hassling him. I have updated the link in the tutorial above so that it points towards a good source for the (final) build of that software.

H

Doesn't surprise me that they would. The US Gummint (a wholly owned and operated subsidiary of Big Business, inc., including the RIAA) is death on anything that even smacks of copying of movies and music.

Hey Hurin, are the files still available for download???

I tried them this morning and they wouldn't download (maybe it was a problem with my connection).

Another question, is that Decrypter going to work for any given DVD???

I'm planning on making perfect copies of all my anime DVD collection, but do not know where to start or which program to use for that matter.

Regards

PS: Great work!!!

Hey Hurin, are the files still available for download???

I tried them this morning and they wouldn't download (maybe it was a problem with my connection).

Another question, is that Decrypter going to work for any given DVD???

I'm planning on making perfect copies of all my anime DVD collection, but do not know where to start or which program to use for that matter.

Regards

PS: Great work!!!

Yes, they are still there. I downloaded it just now.

And, yes, DVD Decrypter can burn your DVDs to an ISO which you can then either store or burn to another (same-size) DVD.

Download DVD Decrypter while you still can! :lol:

P.S. Thanks!

Edited by Hurin

• 2 months later...

Hurin, I tried to make a copy of the Animeigo's SDF Macross DVD set with Nero Ultra edition. Unfortunately, it didn't work out as I expected, anyways I want to ask you if there is a program that can copy DVDs without any problems.... I feel that my Animeigo is going to break and before that happens, I would like to know my best options for making a perfect back up.

Regards...

Hurin, I tried to make a copy of the Animeigo's SDF Macross DVD set with Nero Ultra edition. Unfortunately, it didn't work out as I expected, anyways I want to ask you if there is a program that can copy DVDs without any problems.... I feel that my Animeigo is going to break and before that happens, I would like to know my best options for making a perfect back up.

Regards...

324335[/snapback]

Well, for legitimate backup purposes, you can use DVD Decrypter to decrypt the DVD to an IMG file. And then use DVD Decrypter to burn that IMG file back to a blank DVD. So dual-layer media shouldn't even be necessary. The Animeigo DVDs are single-layer. This is a bit-for-bit copy and you won't lose any quality.

However, the Animeigo DVDs aren't even copy-protected, so any DVD copying software should work. . . Roxio CD/DVD Copier, etc.

Again, however, I don't condone bootlegging. So make sure that this information is used only for good and not for evil. :lol: You should only make a copy of your DVDs for your own use. I recently discovered that even loaning a copy out is not permissable according to the warning at the beginning of the Animeigo DVDs!

Best Regards,

H

Thank you for your advice!!! :D:)

I was able to burn a copy of the 1st volume of the Animeigo set but only the first episode its playable (if thats a word).

I guess there is something wrong with the DVD's that I purchased, I guess that I have to returned them and get a refund

Regards...

Thank you for your advice!!!  :D  :)

I was able to burn a copy of the 1st volume of the Animeigo set but only the first episode its playable (if thats a word).

I guess there is something wrong with the DVD's that I purchased, I guess that I have to returned them and get a refund

Regards...

324679[/snapback]

Are they playable in your computer but not your tabletop DVD player? A lot of tabletop DVD players only like a certain type of media (either DVD-R or DVD+R).

H

Are they playable in your computer but not your tabletop DVD player? A lot of tabletop DVD players only like a certain type of media (either DVD-R or DVD+R).

Neither... My DVD tabletop player stops playing after the 1st episode and then gives me a message about the disc being dirty. My PC dvd player just crashes after the first episode. If i tried to play any other episode from the DVD menu, it gives me the same results with both my tabletop & PC player.

I believe it's the brand (Fuji) I bought them at sam's club, but I'll return them and get a better brand. Any suggestions???

Hey man, thanks for all of your advice!!!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
However, the original DVD was mastered so poorly (just dumped as interlaced video into an MPEG encoder) that I have to do it manually.  Usually, as long as the DVD was mastered even semi-competently, you can use a relatively automated to IVTC a 30fps video stream back to its original 24fps film frames.  But not in this case.

Have you tried automated IVTC? Are you sure it doesn't work? Stepping through PowerDVD I seem to see the 3-2 pattern (if I recall correctly).

Have you tried automated IVTC? Are you sure it doesn't work? Stepping through PowerDVD I seem to see the 3-2 pattern (if I recall correctly).

330235[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I've tried several different automated IVTC patterns. There are several scenes that do keep a standard pattern for a few minutes. But there are long stretches of utter hell. :)

H