Pictures Macross Zero vol. 3

Yoshi

What's the reasoning behind the new Destroids?  Weren't the old ones good enough?

ok, the destroids seen in Zero are going to be the Prototypes for the ones later on down the road ( SW1)

so to put in in English, Zero takes place in '08 and SW1 takes place in 2010, so therefore the new destroids are actually the "old" destroids.

Edited by Lightning 06

What's the reasoning behind the new Destroids?  Weren't the old ones good enough?

ok, the destroids seen in Zero are going to be the Prototypes for the ones later on down the road ( SW1)

so to put in in English, Zero takes place in '08 and SW1 takes place in 2010, so therefore the new destroids are actually the "old" destroids.

Not quite. I know I said I'd never do this, but look at the Compendium, and I quote for the Tomahawk:

Development began in 2001 May and trial production begain in 2003 December. The decision was made to formally introduce the MBR-04 series of Destroids 2006 June and mass production began

As you say, this is 2008. That means that this Destroid was in use by 2007, a full year before 2008.

To me, this finally nails the coffin on any hope of continuity for Macross. Macross Zero has new designs for everything, regardless.

Not quite. I know I said I'd never do this, but look at the Compendium, and I quote for the Tomahawk:

Development began in 2001 May and trial production begain in 2003 December. The decision was made to formally introduce the MBR-04 series of Destroids 2006 June and mass production began

As you say, this is 2008. That means that this Destroid was in use by 2007, a full year before 2008.

To me, this finally nails the coffin on any hope of continuity for Macross. Macross Zero has new designs for everything, regardless.

So what? The 0 destroids could be just as the VF-0: designs that were lost when space war I started. During WWII there were a lot of designs that were even combat proven but never got into mass production (mostly from the german side: Porsche Tigers, Elephants, Type XXI submarines, not to mention the jet fighters from the so called luftwaffe '46, etc.)

PS: And Macross Fanboy as bsu Legato said : remember Edo Andromedo and if you can't remember him that could explain (but not justify) your behaviour...

It doesn't help when Kawamori himself has states he doesn't care about continuity anymore, so be wary of that. Also keep in mind this is a new series, the old destroids are well known and people are used to them. They need to make new destroids and variable fighters to sell new models and toys, it's a merchandise thing.

As for he whole Edo thing, don't expect Macross Fanboy to know who he is. That was way before his time... Before my time. :lol:

It doesn't help when Kawamori himself has states he doesn't care about continuity anymore, so be wary of that.

When did he say that?

What he said was it won't kill him if he step on the continuity's toes every now and then. He's not forsaking it or anything. He created Macross. Let the man do what he wants.

It was in an interview in Animerica, sometime aroudn May of last year. I don't remember his exact phrasing (didn't bother to buy it, just read it in the store) but he definately hinted at not caring about the continuity anymore, because by ignoring it it allowed him to create more original and interesting work. Not to say he's totally forsaken it, but rigidly adhearing to it isn't a top priority of his.

It was an interview in Newtype, and what he said was some things in Macross Zero "may" not strictly adhere to previous continuity, since he's placing good story telling first. Never did he say he was throwing caution to the wind and re-writing everything.

It was an interview in Newtype, and what he said was some things in Macross Zero "may" not strictly adhere to previous continuity, since he's placing good story telling first. Never did he say he was throwing caution to the wind and re-writing everything.

No, this interview was definately in Animerica, but he probably said the same thinsg in both interviews.

I never said he was re-writing anything, just that with future Macross works he probably won't be paying as much attention to the continuity as we would like.

I don't see where this continuity problem might come from , I mean , no one ever worried about continuity when M+ came out because that period in the macross time-line wasn't written yet , in the case of M0 is the almost the same , SDF macross was strictly about SW1 , not the events leading to it so I don't see where could Kawamori utterly destroy the continuity if there hasn't been any other series that focus on the Mayan conflict or anything related to that.

To assume that the only mechas in existence by SW1 or before where the ones seen in the Macross would be foolish to say the least , specially when overtechnology was still new to humanity and the UN was under pressure to develop new technologies for combat (I really doubt the Destroids or any other mecha stationed in the Macross would've been the best selection for combat in the desert or the jungle , etc...)

The new destorid designs doesn't necessarily mean that the old destorids are gone. In wartime there's lots of low production, special purpose machinery built. Anybody ever hear of an A-36 Apache? How about a Sherman Calliope?

Bsu,

I tried to remember those but only the german machines I mentioned before came to my mind. The Apache is a good example but was based on an operational fighter and the same could be say about the Calliope.

Some unique german designs fought only in just one operational theater (mainly the eastern front) as maybe the M0 designs were used only during those particular events and never used again for whatwever reason (let the series finish before attacking it's lack of continuity!! )

The B-29 (not to mention the A bomb... ) is another good example: it was used only in the Pacific theater, the fact that it was never used in Europe doesn't imply a lack of continuity of WWII :D

The A-36 Apache was actually the preliminary version of what would best be known as the P-51 Mustang. It was Allison engine powered and closest in dimensions and capabilities to the early A & B model 'Stangs.

Used extensively for ground attack due to poor engine performance at alt. above 18K ft.(all from memory;can't verify #'s right now)

Vesp

The B-29 (not to mention the A bomb... ) is another good example: it was used only in the Pacific theater, the fact that it was never used in Europe doesn't imply a lack of continuity of WWII :D

LOL! That's a good one, I wish I'd thought of it. :D

I mentioned the A-36 because the Allison engined 'Stangs were very similar to the later P51s, but when you compared one to a late-model P51-D or K model, there's a lot of differences. To me, it's a good analogy for the VF-0.

German armor is also a good comparison, but there's just soooo many variants that it makes ones head hurt to think about it too long. But one interesting note is how the Germans would cannibalize captured and obsolete tanks to make new self-propelled guns. Combine that with the fact that the Panther and Tiger's running gear bore a striking similarity to the T-34....and you could draw a parallel to the SV-51's development. :lol: Ok, that's a bit of a stretch.