Pictures Macross Zero vol. 3

Yoshi

Personally, I like to have my legit DVD's. I would rather download fansubs instead of buy a bootleg for the simple reasons of 1: I use broadband so the speed isn't really an issue, unless I use Kazaa, which I do on occasion, 2: I don't want to pay twice for the same show, and 3: the studios don't see a dime.

If anything I might use fansubs to preview a couple of episodes of a show and see if it gets my attention. If I get cought up in it, and it won't be out for a while, I may download the whole thing. For instance, I liked read or die, but had no idea if the TV series would interest me or not. It helps with my buying priority list a little. The only show so far that I haven't bought that I downloaded was Chobits, since I ended up not really caring for the show. As soon as my discs arrive I delete the digisubs.

Gundam Seed I have to finish at this point.

Inu-Yasha I keep up with, though it is starting to drag out.

That's really it.

I do agree that downloading mass fansubs, not planning to buy the DVD's or only buying bootlegs is not ethical. Selling Zeta Gundam bootlegs knowing the legit, high quality box set is well on it's way is wrong.

Macross DYRL and FB2012 are the only bootlegs I have bought, or really plan to right now. Maybe M7 if I have a slow purchasing month. Simple reason there is that's the only way to get those on DVD. Thanks to HG.

I spend average $120-160 a month on DVD's as it is, sometimes, EDIT IN: usually, more. I love rightstuf.com. I get my preorders really cheap there.

Back to the topic at hand, for Macross Zero, I have downloaded it, and will download the remaining episodes. You can count on my buying two legit copies when it comes out though, one for me and one for my brother.

Separate plug, buy the Animeigo Macross discs if you haven't already. I'm amazed how many fans here have not seen it, and only remember SDF Macross from watching robotech, or owning the boot with pitiful subs. It can't stack up. Animeigo did a good job on it.

The gerwalk hug in Episode 3 of Zero seems pretty sweet. You can tell from the color though it is dark that it's nora's and shin's valkyries. And I would guess the girl that whipped Shin would have the red valk.

I am going to go do some actual work now.

Edited by Anubis

"Bootlegers aren't trying anymore." :angry:

Why should they? I mean.... the so called anime fans buy them no matter what. Why should they make an effort on something they know ppl will buy anyways? Specially on countries were the show is not available yet.

You guys expect too much from bootleggers. <_<

Why should they? I mean.... the so called anime fans buy them no matter what. Why should they make an effort on something they know ppl will buy anyways? Specially on countries were the show is not available yet.

Professional pride? Naaaaaah. ;)

Seriously, I snicker at the subs sometimes, but a slong as long as they get the point across who cares. The only time I'm a little irritated about it is when they are almost completely opposite to what was actually said... or when I hear something in Engrish but it's not in the sub at all. Then it's like "WTF? What's going on here??"

Professional pride? Naaaaaah. ;)

Seriously, I snicker at the subs sometimes, but a slong as long as they get the point across who cares. The only time I'm a little irritated about it is when they are almost completely opposite to what was actually said... or when I hear something in Engrish but it's not in the sub at all. Then it's like "WTF? What's going on here??"

Seriously... if you want good subs, get the official release. Don't want to wait for it to be licensed? They shut up and enjoy the engrish... it was your choice after all. ;):D

Because some of us don't want fansubs, even fansubs aren't really accurate.  My Anime Junkies fansub of the part two of Macross Zero called Protoculture "Protocol" and Skull Squadron was called "Scar Platoon."

The one you mention is the reason I said that the subs USUALLY don't suck. The initial AJ release of episode 2 has been the one exception, LOL. There's a good reason why they managed to pump out that release the day after the DVD came out :lol:

In my experience, i've found that most fansub groups (again, AJ being the big exception) put out very good digisubs with excelent translations.

I can understand if your PC sucks, or if you're on dial-up... and yea, it's nice to be able to watch them on TV (though that's possible too, either by making an SVCD or with a video card with a s-video output).

DVDs of course, are an option too. I'm sure the video is a straight rip of the R2 disc, so the video has gotta be good. But of course the subs are gonna suck on the bootlegs. I mean... they're bootlegs! ^_^

Bootleg DVD's vs. Downloading

1. Cost of burning DVD's

You can get a cheap CD burner and software to create VCD's. Some DVD players will play SVCD, which is about the same quality as DVD, and some will play "mini-DVD", which is DVD-encoded data on a CD.

The money you spend on bootlegs could instead go to acquiring the tools you need.

1a. Technical issues

There's some help in the pinned imacross thread. The more you learn about codecs and the more you find and install, the less trouble this will be over time. The same applies to learning how to burn DVDs/VCDs.

2. Download speed over modem/broadband

For me, Bittorrent over broadband isn't much faster than a modem. Other filesharing methods (certainly ftp or hotline) would see more of a difference. Anyway, if you've got a phone line that you can use for 24 hours, and you don't suffer from dropped connections, just start a download before you go to sleep, and when you come home from working/studying/playing the next day it'll be practically done.

(CORRECTION: At least with Bittorrent and Hotline you probably don't have to worry about dropped connections--the technology is designed to "pick up where it left off" if a download is interrupted.)

3. quality of sub/video

The sub on the MI Macross Zero vol. 2 was pretty bad; I don't see how it could be much better than the fansubs. (And certainly it's worse than the NLA fansub.) The video on the MI bootleg is terrible--I don't know how they managed to screw up a digital transfer, but they did. And I haven't been able to find any retailers/eBay sellers who can answer whether their version of vol. 2 has decent video. I'd rather watch a small (and in the case of NLA, slightly dark) version of the video than see those annoying lines during the fight scenes.

4. ethical issues

When you buy a bootleg, none of the money goes to the creators, and it might be going to people involved in crimes worse than copying DVD's. Not only do the creators deserve to be paid, but the less money they make, the less likely they are to invest in additional product. I suspect that if you buy a bootleg, you're also less likely to end up buying a properly licensed version when its available.

Conclusion: I have the DYRL "Perfect Edition" and may eventually spring for Flashback (although for the amount of story contained in it, for now I'm happy with the download I got from imacross). My bad experience with M0 vol. 2 and success with downloads has convinced me not to spend any more money on bootlegs unless there's no prospect of the anime appearing in licensed subtitled form in the foreseeable future.

Edited by ewilen

The only reason why I buy the Bootleg DVD's is because for the life of me I can't understand how to download the digisub things on my computer. I have tried to do so, but still can't figure it out and with all this stuff you have to add to your computer and the unwillingness of certain parties in helping those who are not as computer literate as others, I washed my hands of the matter in disgust, so that is why I buy the DVD's....Ohh and for the record, if there ever is a domestic release of Macross 7 or Macross Zero I will CERTAINLY purchase it. I would like to get a correct and accurate translation of Macross so that I can better understand the story.

Just my 2 cents

Larry T.

--EDIT--Hey Ewilen, this post wasn't directed at you...it was more directed at the whole thread, and I started it before I read your post...so I wasn't saying it to say anything bad against you. :lol:

Edited by twich

I strongly doubt we'll see much in the way of Destroids in Vol 3. Destroids simply get no love in Macross, since they don't transform (not counting the Koing, of course).

I get the feeling that we'll see them for about a second and a half during a combat scene, much as we did in SDF Macross and DYRL. I doubt the Destroids were even around in Mac7/Plus.

I doubt the Destroids were even around in Mac7/Plus.

They're at least around for Target practice in Plus (the Monster that the YF-19 takes out in one shot at the least). As far as 7... there were the M7 Police things. lol All they ever do is unfold their arms and then get blown up. :lol:

"Cumbayaaaaa.....cumbayaaaaaa......." *song contiues aimlessly **

Shin: "I love you man!"

Nora: " No man, I LOVE You...."

Shin: "No wayyy man I LOVE YOU!"

After seeing this heartwarming displayof affection, both the UN Spacy and the Anti UN call a truce and halt all aggressions towards one another. Yoshinol is distrubuted to all and a grand celebration begins.....

macross2.jpg

Edited by Monkey-N

Me and some of my friends are planning to dub the first two parts of Macross Zero, but we aren't going to sell them, just make copies for ourselves. Should be interesting, I'm going to be Roy and D.D. And I don't expect too much from bootleggers, Abombz, it's just something that one of my friends said when I let him borrow DYRL? which is expertly subbed by the way. I just hope that the subs for the third part aren't half-assed.

Edited by Macross_Fanboy

And I don't expect too much from bootleggers, Abombz, it's just something that one of my friends said when I let him borrow DYRL? which is expertly subbed by the way. I just hope that the subs for the third part aren't half-assed.

I know that. My post was aimed towards the group of ppl who tend to complain too much about the sub qualitys on bootlegs, not at someone in particular. :)

Me and some of my friends are planning to dub the first two parts of Macross Zero, but we aren't going to sell them, just make copies for ourselves. Should be interesting, I'm going to be Roy and D.D. And I don't expect too much from bootleggers, Abombz, it's just something that one of my friends said when I let him borrow DYRL? which is expertly subbed by the way. I just hope that the subs for the third part aren't half-assed.

Merci Yoshi!! Nice pics!! Very artistic. In full size they would be awsome as wallpapers.

Macross_Fanboy: I'm really very interested in your dubbed version!!! But:

Could you please do it in french? :p:p:p

Okay, Abombz. And, no I can't Gerwalker, you know why? Because I don't speak French, I only speak Spanish. And I'm not going to sell the copies I make, I'm just going to make ten copies to distribute to some of my friends at school for free. I'm not about to start pirating, creates a shitstorm at school if caught by the narcs.

Okay, Abombz. And, no I can't Gerwalker, you know why? Because I don't speak French, I only speak Spanish. And I'm not going to sell the copies I make, I'm just going to make ten copies to distribute to some of my friends at school for free. I'm not about to start pirating, creates a shitstorm at school if caught by the narcs.

Sorry Pablo, I was kidding. Just thought you had something against french language from a previous post from you (considering the fact that this thread was kindly started by a french MW member)

Pablo (me too!! )

Yeah, I do have something against the French though. Bunch of whiners, man. Good thing they got their asses kicked in the 1950s by the Viet Minh.

Ouch... Before you Frenchies out there start lighting torches to set our FanBoy friend on fire, keep in mind he is kinda new and didn't see what happened to the last guy who got political.

Okay, but all I did was confirm Gerwalker's thoughts. :unsure: And I'm not that much of a newbie, I never once consulted the newbie thread, I don't call Valkyries "Veritechs" or...think Protoculture is some sort of biofuel which Robotech made it out to be and kinda relates to today.

.........Oh no! I said the "R" word!

Yeah, I do have something against the French though. Bunch of whiners, man. Good thing they got their asses kicked in the 1950s by the Viet Minh.

Sorry to read that kind of stuff here in these forums. Pablo, I smelled your intentions from the very begining and so I decided to help you to clarify them.

You should be careful when posting in open forums like these. Yoshi is an old and respected MW member and he brings us this kind of excelent info from time to time. He is from France and he sometimes makes jokes about that (just look at his location in his profile) but it is extremely rude to make such statement in a thread he has started and in any other thread, BTW.

One of the things I like the most from MW forums is that is really global and being so we can get info and learn from Macross fanboys/girls from around the world and it is a very bad idea to offend people because of politics, Don't you think?

Just think twice before posting, that's all.

Saludos,

Pablo

Yeah, I do have something against the French though.  Bunch of whiners, man.  Good thing they got their asses kicked in the 1950s by the Viet Minh.

No need to get political or anything. <_< There are MW members from all of the world here. Keep it about Macross. ;)

Edited for wrong choice of words.

Edited by Monkey-N