Knight Rider
Universal Pictures, 1982-1986, 2004-2006
Created by Glen A. Larson (Battlestar Galactica, Magnum P.I.)
Running Time: 50 minutes (100 minutes for the pilot episode)
Rated TV-PG for violence.

"Knight Rider - a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist..."

Cast
David Hasselhoff (Germany still loves him) as Michael Knight
William Daniels as K.I.T.T. (voice)
Edward Mulhare (1923-1997) as Devon Miles
Patricia McPherson as Bonnie Barstow
Rebecca Holden as April Curtis
Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime in Transformers) as K.A.R.R. (voice)

"Michael Knight: a young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law."

When Las Vegas detective Michael Long is shot and left for dead in a crime scene, he is rescued and given a second chance in life by associates of ailing multi-millionaire Wilton Knight. Shortly after Wilton dies, Michael is given a new identity and a new weapon of justice. As Michael Knight, he is partnered with Knight Industries Two Thousand (best known as K.I.T.T.), a modified Pontiac Firebird Trans Am with a highly-advanced AI. Together, they go above and beyond the law in their neverending battle against crime.

When it comes to '80s TV icons, the list is long and distinguished: Mr. T, Alf, Max Headroom, MacGyver, the list goes on and on.

And then you have the dynamic duo of Michael Knight and K.I.T.T.

For four years, viewers stayed glued to their TV sets to lay witness the adventures of a mysterious detective and his indestructible talking car. As everyone knows, Knight Rider turned soap opera actor David Hasselhoff into one of the biggest household names in the entertainment industry. Sure, maybe he went on to do Baywatch and eventually become idolized by millions of Germans, but if it weren't for this show, he wouldn't be anywhere.

And how can you talk about Knight Rider without the car itself? Next to The Dukes of Hazzard's General Lee and The A-Team's GMC Custom Van, K.I.T.T. is among the most famous cars on the small screen. Just ask about anyone who owns an '80s Trans Am and they'll probably tell you they were fans of the show.

By today's standards, Knight Rider reeks of cheesy acting and hokey storylines, but hey - it was the '80s. It still makes great family entertainment today. Go rent it and relive another fun part of your childhood.

Rating: B

DVD Extras: A-
The Season 1 boxed set is loaded with extras such as these:

- Commentary with Hasselhoff and Larson on the pilot episode.
- Knight Moves - Interviews with Hasselhoff and the stunt coordinator that made K.I.T.T. jump every week.
- Knight Sounds - Stu Phillips (Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century) talks about how a little synthesizer piece became one of the most uncanny TV themes of all-time.
- Knight Rider Under the Hood - Hasselhoff and Larson talk about how the show began.
- Stills Gallery
- Blueprints Gallery - A look at key settings and props such as the Knight truck and the infamous jailbreak scene from the pilot episode.
- K.I.T.T. Owner's Manual - A graphical explanation of the buttons and gadgetry behind the dashboard.

In addition, you have Knight Rider 2000, the 1991 TV special that did not live up to the expectations of the series. At least it's better than the flop series Team Knight Rider.

Links
Knight Rider Online

Reference
The Internet Movie Database

Edited by areaseven

i have never liked it, it was too much unbelievable for me that a car can talk.

the a-team and macgyver looked much more real for me, more plausible :rolleyes:

the best thing in knight rider was the opening theme :ph34r:

Whatever. I rented the Season 1 DVD, but only had time to watch the first episode. I don't care what Hasselhoff went on to do, Knight Rider did and still does kick ass, and I still wish I had a talking '82 Trans Am.

i have never liked it, it was too much unbelievable for me that a car can talk.

the a-team and macgyver looked much more real for me, more plausible :rolleyes:

the best thing in knight rider was the opening theme :ph34r:

Talking cars are too implausable, but you're a fan of a show that has 30-foot men and transforming jetplanes?

Ahh, Knight Rider...

The shadowy flight into the world of a fluffy haired man in form fitting clothes, and his cool, although GAY talking car.  :rolleyes:

KITT WAS NOT GAY!

As a sidenote... I feel sorry for whoever had to write up the description on the back of that DVD box. Really, everyoen that cares already KNOWS what Knight Rider is, and the people that don't know aren't going to be sold by a 2-sentence description.

Edited by JB0

Whatever. I rented the Season 1 DVD, but only had time to watch the first episode. I don't care what Hasselhoff went on to do, Knight Rider did and still does kick ass, and I still wish I had a talking '82 Trans Am.

One man can make a difference, and that man is you, Michael!

Whatever.  I rented the Season 1 DVD, but only had time to watch the first episode.  I don't care what Hasselhoff went on to do, Knight Rider did and still does kick ass, and I still wish I had a talking '82 Trans Am.

One man can make a difference, and that man is you, Michael!

Woo-hoo! When do I get my talking car?

Never did much for me. I think DH is a funny guy though. I comend him for being the most pathetically cheesy guy and turning into a sex symbol... At least in Europe.

Never did much for me. I think DH is a funny guy though. I comend him for being the most pathetically cheesy guy and turning into a sex symbol... At least in Europe.

And in your bedroom via wall posters with big hearts drawn all over them... :ph34r:

Never did much for me.  I think DH is a funny guy though.  I comend him for being the most pathetically cheesy guy and turning into a sex symbol... At least in Europe.

And in your bedroom via wall posters with big hearts drawn all over them... :ph34r:

You seem to follow me around Macross World making homosexual comments... I can only conclude that this is some sort of attempt to have homosexual relations with me...

I appologise. I am straight. Don't feel alone though you are not the first homosexual man that has been turned down by me. If you are looking for a man I suggest looking to M7 fans.

Never did much for me.  I think DH is a funny guy though.  I comend him for being the most pathetically cheesy guy and turning into a sex symbol... At least in Europe.

You seem to follow me around Macross World making homosexual comments... I can only conclude that this is some sort of attempt to have homosexual relations with me...

I appologise. I am straight. Don't feel alone though you are not the first homosexual man that has been turned down by me. If you are looking for a man I suggest looking to M7 fans.

Are you sure it's not just that your awesomeness is so great that it makes even straight men want you?

Edited by JB0

Are you sure it's not just that your awesomeness is so great that it makes even straight men want you?

That happens sometimes, but I think this one is just a closet case.

Ahh, Knight Rider...

The shadowy flight into the world of a fluffy haired man in form fitting clothes, and his cool, although GAY talking car.  :rolleyes:

KITT WAS NOT GAY!

As a sidenote... I feel sorry for whoever had to write up the description on the back of that DVD box. Really, everyoen that cares already KNOWS what Knight Rider is, and the people that don't know aren't going to be sold by a 2-sentence description.

In point of fact, you're correct. William Daniels who played K.I.T.T. is not gay, at least according to IMDB.

However, with K.I.T.T.'s effeminate voice, and condescending nature, it's not a very big leap. Let's be honest, talking cars are gay no matter how you slice it. :lol:

But, if K.I.T.T. were gay, that would be yet another homosexual advance that Agent ONE would have to rebuff ;):lol:

I took a look at Knight Rider 2000. Ugh, what were they thinking? Bad enough that 1) it takes place in a boring, peaceful environment that predates Demolition Man; and 2) they just kill off Devon. Worse is that they drag James Doohan into this mess just for him to recite his famous Scotty lines.

As for K.I.T.T., he always has been and always will be a black 1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am - NOT a red Firebird made to look "futuristic."

BTW, any news on the Knight Rider movie? I can't believe that Sammo Hung is actually directing it.

Ahh, Knight Rider...

KITT WAS NOT GAY!

In point of fact, you're correct. William Daniels who played K.I.T.T. is not gay, at least according to IMDB.

However, with K.I.T.T.'s effeminate voice, and condescending nature, it's not a very big leap. Let's be honest, talking cars are gay no matter how you slice it. :lol:

But, if K.I.T.T. were gay, that would be yet another homosexual advance that Agent ONE would have to rebuff ;):lol:

How can a car BE gay?

Technically, you have to have a sexuality to be gay, and cars are asexual. :p

KR was the bomb yo! Say what you will about Hasslehoff, he's popular, he's rich, and german chicks everywhere TOTALLY dig him (this is of special interest to Agent ONE: Recently, in my college newspaper's "opinion" column, a vote was taken, and of the girls surveyed, 75% would've rather sleep with David Hasslehoff over Arnold.)

I'm remotely interested in this new movie as well... supposedly Hasslehoff will be starring.

There was this black tractor made of the same material as KITT with a laser IIRC.

Then there was the cheesy 'turbo boost' button which maks the dang car do a bunny hop thru obstacles.

And the ever cheesy 'Super Pursuit Mode'.

KITT could print credit cards/fake IDs from its dashboard to I think.

Takara should make a KITT Binaltech.

There was this black tractor made of the same material as KITT with a laser IIRC.

Then there was the cheesy 'turbo boost' button which maks the dang car do a bunny hop thru obstacles.

The black big rig was called Goliath or something. and then there was the KITT that was evil named KARR. HAHAHA the Super Pursuit Mode...LOL. But they did make some cars talk didn't they? Like some Fords or Plymouths... when the door was open, it'd say, "The door is ajar" or something stupid like that. maybe I"m wrong. Something tells me the gimmick didn't work out too well for the company. But that Bonnie and April were hotties.

The black big rig was called Goliath or something. and then there was the KITT that was evil named KARR. HAHAHA the Super Pursuit Mode...LOL. But they did make some cars talk didn't they? Like some Fords or Plymouths... when the door was open, it'd say, "The door is ajar" or something stupid like that. maybe I"m wrong. Something tells me the gimmick didn't work out too well for the company. But that Bonnie and April were hotties.

my dad's old nissan datsun had the voice thing in it. It had one for the lights, the door and the keys being in the ignition. It died finally 10 years later. :p:D:lol:

As for K.I.T.T., he always has been and always will be a black 1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am - NOT a red Firebird made to look "futuristic."

BTW, any news on the Knight Rider movie? I can't believe that Sammo Hung is actually directing it.

I semi-agree. I mean, the '82 Trans Am is a car that's held up amazingly well over the last 22 years, but KITT's gotta get with the times at some point.

Now, that said, I don't think they should bastardize some car until they end up with a fugly red thing with no lights...

Just like the Trans Am, a newer KITT should be black, and it should look stock, save for the LED in the front and a high-tech dash for the interior.

I kinda think KITT would look good as a Mitsubishi 3000GT (especially if a movie staring said 3000GT as KITT meant Mitsubishi would bring back the line...)

And in anyway, KITT's not gay. As far as I know (and pardon my ignorance if you happen to be from the UK), most educated British men are naturally effeminate and condescending. Personally, I blame tea time. And in any case, talking cars... especially nigh-indestructable talking cars that can drive themselves kick ass. Anyone who says KITT is gay is just jealous because their car doesn't talk. Or make that cool "Whoo whoo" when the LED lights up.

Edited by mikeszekely

How can a car BE gay?

Technically, you have to have a sexuality to be gay, and cars are asexual. :p

He's a car. He takes it up the tail pipe of course! :p

Graham

*cries*

Oh yeah? Well the VF-1A has a penis on it's head!

Ooh, that would have to suck at the beach.

*hot girl with revealing swimsuit approaches A* "Were you checking me out?"

*A desperately trying to cover head-laser with a towel, even as it points skyward* "N-no..."

As far as I know (and pardon my ignorance if you happen to be from the UK), most educated British men are naturally effeminate and condescending.

Ah...stereotypes, based on Hollywood's portrayal of the British! Yes, all educated British men are naturally effeminate and condescending, just the same way as all Americans are 350lb, burger eating, flannel shirt wearing slobs called Bubba who marry their 14 year old cousins. :lol:

I'm guessing you've not travelled outside of the US much eh?

There's nothing I hate worse than steroytyping or generalizations. You will find effeminate and condescending men in every country and among every people, just as you wil find fat slobs in every country. There's no monopoly on this sort of thing you know!

Graham

I have a few brits in my trombone studio here at Wichita state... they're anything BUT effeminate. (although, we DO rag them about Tea time and the metric system, it's all in good fun, as they do it right back..)

A "souped up" newer model of Firebird would suit the movie nicely.