• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I've never bought a Playmobil set... any good? I might pull the trigger on KITT.

I loved to play with my Playmobil toys as a kid. They are high quality. But I don’t understand their appeal for an adult.  With Lego I greatly enjoy the building process which is mostly missing from Playmobil sets.

If you like the Playmobil aesthetic I would say go for it. Otherwise a scale model of KITT might be the way to go especially if you are not interested in the human sidekicks. 😉

18 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I've never bought a Playmobil set... any good? I might pull the trigger on KITT.

I have the Playmobil Back to the Future Time Machine and it’s cool.  I expect KITT to be as well.  Preordered KITT and the A-Team van.

16 hours ago, Scyla said:

I loved to play with my Playmobil toys as a kid. They are high quality. But I don’t understand their appeal for an adult.  With Lego I greatly enjoy the building process which is mostly missing from Playmobil sets.

If you like the Playmobil aesthetic I would say go for it. Otherwise a scale model of KITT might be the way to go especially if you are not interested in the human sidekicks. 😉

This childhood nostalgia (Playmobil started in '74) paired with popular licensing titles of the following decade (aka the 80's) might be a winning combo they're willing to wager. Consumers/collectors in this demographic (older w/discretionary $) might fancy the whole idea of reliving some part of their childhood slash introducing their kid to their childhood.

As mentioned they recently just released The A-Team a few months ago ...

a-team_playmobil.png

This could take off with licensed Playmobil Star Wars/Star Trek/Dukes of Hazz/Batman/Ghostbusters/007/Magnum PI/Miami Vice/Scooby Doo/Tron/etc. creating another collecting genre. Sort of feels like Choro-Q for the states which could result in a FunkoPop-like explosion and K.I.T.T. does look cool.

Edited by Bobby

Playmobil also has a set for Star Trek, Ghostbusters, 007, and Scooby Doo.  I’d buy a set from Dukes of Hazzard and Magnum PI.  I’d buy a set from Airwolf too.

I have the old school Kenner Talking KITT with Michael Knight, Minimates KITT with Michael Knight, Lego Dimensions KITT and Michael Knight, Funko POP KITT and Michael Knight, and Hot Wheels 1/18 scale Super Elite Talking KITT and a 1/18 scale Michael Knight figure so the Playmobil set will be a welcome addition to the collection.

I didn't have a lot of Playmobil as a kid, but I did have some of their Space stuff, and I thought it was awesome. I wish I still had it: I think my Mom sold it all off at a yard sale when I went into the military. Anyway, I'll attest that they make a high quality product, and strangely, they and LEGO often produce similar things at the same time. Anyway, I've seen their Scooby stuff and their Ghostbusters set, so it's kinda neat that they're continuing to mine 80s properties (who doesn't these days?) for ideas. They made somenew neat space stuff around five or six years ago that I thought was pretty neat, but I passed on it, as I already collect too much stuff. However, if they do make an Airwolf, it's almost certainly bought, especially if it has the retractable weapons and landing gear.😍

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

On the head or the chest?

Can I flip them?  I'm a little thin on top, but my chest hair is full and luxurious.

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

The license plate and key are also sold individually but they already come in the FLAG Agent Kit.  So does the watch but it's cool so I don't mind owning a spare in its own packaging.

Does the key have a hole to go on a key ring?  I kind of dig it.  Not sure what I'd do with the license plate, though.  My car doesn't have a bracket for a front plate. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
3 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Is it to much to ask for 1/18 scale??!!:unsure:

4C32BD85-E421-40B2-9A86-50B658D981C3.jpeg.a4cbee80cffd70ecf66e332f51936d48.jpeg

The Hot Wheels 1/18 scale releases are the best with the Super Elite KITT being the most superior.  It has working lights, scanner, sound effects, the voice of KITT, and Knight Rider theme song.  It also goes great with the 1/18 scale Michael Knight figure.

I only have one so if Mattel ever reissued it I'd definitely buy another one.  

The 1/12 KITT has the same problem every light-up car has nowadays:

Cheap "white" LED's for the headlights, that give a cool-blue effect.  Obviously wrong for any 70's/80's car.  They need to use warm-white/golden-white LED's to mimic the incandescent/halogen look.  

There's tons of LEDs designed just for that purpose, but very few companies use them.  They cost like, 3 cents more...

IMG_0746.jpeg

IMG_0745.webp

Sure, older toys with small bulbs were dim, and burned out easily---but the color was right.  And nowadays we do have readily-available LED's that are bright and long-lasting AND the right color---but it seems so few companies are aware or care about "the right look".