1/72 Resin Monster Model!

AlphaHX

Also, anyone who can get me a high res scan of either the 1/200, 1/160, or 1/144 decal sheets i would really appreciate it...

thanks

mike

359298[/snapback]

Do you need somebody to re-build the decals in Illustrator, formatted for use with a Alps printer?

If my guess on the weight is correct, i think you are looking at about $40-$45.00 airmail to the UK, I ship a lot of stuff to the UK and it's not that bad, plus i am doing everything i can to keep the cost of the kit even better than what is quoted on the first page....more to come.

mike

358463[/snapback]

Well with that in mind maybe I could get one, well before I say yes I need to find the room. Any idea on the dimensions of this. What I mean is if you drew a 3d rectangle around it how big would it be. My idea is to - a. find the space and b. get a plexi/lexan cover for it to repell the dust and need to clean. My other models are cased or put in display cabinets, as cleaning dust from models usually sooner or later ends up in broken models.

If my guess on the weight is correct, i think you are looking at about $40-$45.00 airmail to the UK, I ship a lot of stuff to the UK and it's not that bad, plus i am doing everything i can to keep the cost of the kit even better than what is quoted on the first page....more to come.

mike

358463[/snapback]

Well with that in mind maybe I could get one, well before I say yes I need to find the room. Any idea on the dimensions of this. What I mean is if you drew a 3d rectangle around it how big would it be. My idea is to - a. find the space and b. get a plexi/lexan cover for it to repell the dust and need to clean. My other models are cased or put in display cabinets, as cleaning dust from models usually sooner or later ends up in broken models.

359355[/snapback]

I've got the other version of the 1/72 monster, think three lawn gnomes lined up for size :lol:

Edited by Grayson72

I've got the other version of the 1/72 monster, think three lawn gnomes lined up for size  :lol:

359364[/snapback]

Well the guy who live oposite me has some that are about 2 feet tall the students next door love to nick them.

The average in the U.K seems to be arround 10 inches tall. is that right ??

Someone wanted to know if the cannons would be adjustable....here is a pic with them proped up on a bunch of different knick nacks (sorry for the messy workbench pic) they are all in different positions for the pic, so it makes it look weired, but illustrates how they can be posed.. mike

Picture528.jpg

Picture529.jpg

Edited by mslz22

DANG!!  :o

Mike I do have 1 question if you can answer.  after the Main body work is completed, are you going to go back and work on Detailing the Kit with pannel lines and Etc?  Just courious

Ranger565

359498[/snapback]

Yep, that will be the last thing to get done, and is actually the easiest part for me, fabricating the parts, making sure it all goes together easily as a kit is the real time consuming stuff. detailing is a lot of fun too....

It's already been done.

359352[/snapback]

Dang...I was hoping to parley my expertese into a discount. :(

359650[/snapback]

I have no confrimation yet that Devin still has the files and if he is available yet...so i may need you. I have the ability to do the very large UNSPACY, that goes on the arm cannons, what i will really need is someone to print out the decals that need a white backround (the alps stuff), most noteably the 02 #'s and the UNSPACY that goes on the upper cannons (2per kit).......so we can see what happens....

thanks

mike

Well the cockpit window will be in translucent resin so you can stick an LED in it and get the illumination like you see in the animation. As far as a detailed inner area with pilots and stuff...i'm not sure how much of it you would ever be able to see, you would have to remove the "window" area just to see down into the pilots area, a nice detail but a lot of work (both me casting and you guys painting) for something you would only be able to see if you were standing above it. If enough people want a detailed pilot area, i may offer it as an add on, but to keep this thing where i want the price it will likely not be part of the primary kit.....

mike

First casting of the foot, ignore the bits of grey stuff on it, that is just primer that pulled off the first mold....the strut part of the leg will have 2 1/8" brass rods cast into it to provide strength as well as line up the struts with the foot, the foot has 2 dimples to show you where to drill the 1/8" hole to accept the rods...most of the upper parts on this are just taped in place now....

mike

Picture530.jpg

Picture531.jpg

Ok i have a question:

You guys who have recently been making a ton of original scratch built models based on lesser known mecha / aircraft save your molds?

You guys have been making some incredible stuff.....the ghost , 72 monster, spiderbug, 72 regult and zen pilots, the fighter pods, the battleship, and a few others.

Someone should make a post compiling the original macross world models.

Anyway i was wondering do you guys save yoru molds so you can make more in the future and sell them or are these all one time releases?

i cant wait to see the finished monster , i cant afford one at this time but maybe in the future if you do another batch of releases i would def want to pick one up.

I also want to get into scratch building i know its an expensive hobby i was thinking of starting out on the little transport jeeps.

You guys who have recently been making a ton of original  scratch built models  based on lesser known  mecha / aircraft  save your molds?

361167[/snapback]

Depends. Not all scratchbuilders do the casting too. The original master is more important to keep since the molds break down over time and the number of times you use them.

Someone should  make a post compiling the original macross world  models.

361167[/snapback]

Not sure how wise this is since most of these aren't licensed by Big West. We wouldn't want to draw too much attention to them.

you can  make  more in the future and sell them or  are these all one time releases?

361167[/snapback]

Depends on the situation. Most of these are one time. Most of the makers are not in it to make lots of money. Most do it because they are fans and they want to give their fellow fans a unique piece of art. Some do it for the money, but I gotta think that the $$$ are not enough to feed your family. I know for a fact that Mike could be making lots more by doing some other projects. Correct me if I'm wrong Mike, but I think you are doing this just because you love Macross and you love big scales!

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich

You guys who have recently been making a ton of original  scratch built models  based on lesser known  mecha / aircraft  save your molds?

361167[/snapback]

Depends on the situation. Most of these are one time. Most of the makers are not in it to make lots of money. Most do it because they are fans and they want to give their fellow fans a unique piece of art. Some do it for the money, but I gotta think that the $$$ are not enough to feed your family. I know for a fact that Mike could be making lots more by doing some other projects. Correct me if I'm wrong Mike, but I think you are doing this just because you love Macross and you love big scales!

361306[/snapback]

oh i wasnt trying to imply that it was for money im well aware why these guys do what they do.

i was just trying to indirectly say

"im poor i cant afford this awesome stuff right now do you guys save your molds or whatnot and /or ever plan to do another release of them"

trust me i dread missing out on this monster right now

Sorry that it has been a few days with no replies, it's been a heck of a week. To answer LTSO ?, on this particular kit i will not be making much, this is a huge supply cost project, so yes i am doing this largely because the monster is one of my favorite Macross mecha and i love big kits, i've already started kicking around some ideas for the next "BIG" kit :) (LTSO has an idea of what it is) , assuming people are happy with this one.....

This will likely be the only run of this model, the molds that i am making will likely produce 30 to 40 kits, i don't even know if i will sell close to that, but to justify making a second set of molds i would need to have a total of like 80 orders, and i just don't see that happening...however, if you can't afford it now and i have not reached the limit of the molds, they will be available for a while.....

To update where i am, i am in the final stages of smoothing out any little scratches, nicks, etc on the parts, then i will add the panel lines and detailing, and then onto the final molds....we're close :)

mike

SNIP

i've already started kicking around some ideas for the next "BIG" kit :) (LTSO has an idea of what it is) , assuming people are happy with this one.....

SNIP

362302[/snapback]

A 1/72 SDF-1??!?!?! :rolleyes: YES!!!! :p

362345[/snapback]

Yes !!

Just over 700 meters long and 250 tonnes of resin. I can see it now

OK with the limitation on the number of kits available you have forced my hand :) I'll commit. Put me down for one kit please, thanks for the great offer, I look forward to many hours of enjoyment putting this baby together and a lifetime of suffering figuring out how to display the Monster :)

Wow, it looks like I am not on the list in the first post, so please put me down for one. Can't wait to see this "Monster" completed.

I'm really sorry for being behind guys. I've been gone for awhile due to personal reasons but hopefully I'll be back here more often. Please PM me if you're not on the list and I'll add you asap.

363468[/snapback]

We do not accept excuses, we're just going to have to find ourselves a new AlphaHX that's all. :lol:

Welcome back

WoW! Long time no see!! Welcome back!!

363789[/snapback]

Thanx! Its good to be back. :)

I'm really sorry for being behind guys. I've been gone for awhile due to personal reasons but hopefully I'll be back here more often. Please PM me if you're not on the list and I'll add you asap.

363468[/snapback]

We do not accept excuses, we're just going to have to find ourselves a new AlphaHX that's all. :lol:

Welcome back

363869[/snapback]

Hahah, nice to see you too. :p

Definitely good to be back... ;)