1/72 Resin Monster Model!

AlphaHX

So how are the finishing touches on this beast coming along? When can we expect to be able to sent payment?

371772[/snapback]

Good, i was sick all last week but i did not stop working..it did slow me down a bit, but not bad. I'm thinking 2-3 weeks for the first payments.....after the first kits are out i should be able to pump out about 5 kits a week, and again i will take payments in que so i do not hold on to peoples $ for too long....

mike

371896[/snapback]

Souns really great Mike. :)

Why does time have to pass so slowly. i have the money set aside to send to you via paypal and im itching to get started on this thing.

Unfortunately i wont be able to build it till jan/feb next year unless i can figure out a way to make the parts all detachable. I dont want to build this beast and then have the military movers do irrepairable damage to it.

Do you think the arm and body pieces are too heavy for me to embed strong rare earth magnets into them and have them support the weight?

Why does time have to pass so slowly. i have the money set aside to send to you via paypal and im itching to get started on this thing.

Unfortunately i wont be able to build it till jan/feb next year unless i can figure out  a way to make the parts all detachable. I dont want to build this beast and then have the military movers do irrepairable damage to it.

Do you think the arm and body pieces are too heavy for me to embed strong rare earth magnets into them and have them support the weight?

372890[/snapback]

How about a nut and bold assembly? I think it is very possible to insert a nut in the arm cannon and a bolt through the arm assembly. It would make it easy to disassemble and you wont have to worry about how stong the magnets should be.

Id rather go the magnet route to save on the wear and tear of the screws. Also magnets  cant cross thread and strip out

372900[/snapback]

I would say that depends on how you use the bolt and nut method. If you use a washer and a lock pin the nut could be locked into place while the ram pivots on the washer. Also, a longer and wider thread pitch would help.

If want to add strenght without to much weight, you can also try carbon fiber rods. Threading the rods can be done by adding a threaded sleeve. If you try to tap thread on carbon fiber, you\'ll just thrash it.

The main thing is i want to try to make it quick and easy to dis assemble for packing and moving purposes. nuts and bolts just seem too troublesome in their own right. Id have to turn the pieces to get them apart and that would add the risk of stressing and cracking the resin the benefit of magnets is i could pop the pieces apart or together without having to twist and turn the part possibly banging it into the other pieces or chipping it.

Im still in for one. This has to be the "must have" kit only next to the 1/48 strike and i have 2 of those.

I cant wait to get my airbrush and weathering techniques out on this one.

Can i be the first to do a build thread? Ill be showing how to use Rare earth magnets to hold it together and make it easier to move around/transport.

Oh boy, I'm out of the picture for a few weeks and the Monster is nearly done :D Way to go Mike. If you'd be able to get in production by the end of March it would be fantastic...it's my birthday then and the wife needs a present :p

BTW HWR, I'm letting you get the head start on the build thread...I'll catch up later ;)

post-3-1110501201.jpg

Mike I know its hard to see from your pictures, but the face or nose of the monster has allot of pannel lines like the indention on top of the face/nose. I was wondering if you were still working on this kind of pannel lineing. In a way its kind of its facial features I hope that you can preserve.

Ranger565

I am so stuffing this thing with red LEDs. Funny thin ranger yourpic is the only scene in all of macross where the monster has those tank style smoke dischargers on them.

Edited by HWR MKII

I am so stuffing this thing with red LEDs.

376310[/snapback]

Heheh, I almost just replied that myself, Never done such stuff tough, but it'll be interesting to learn it. Though surely I won't use this kit as learning piece on anything (except the special acid weathering)... :rolleyes:

ACID! never heard of using that in weathering.

You can buy a lighting kit at the SSM store that will fit perfectly inside the monster. Can we start a countdown soon mike? Its been a year almost to the day since this was annunced.

ACID! never heard of using that in weathering.

You can buy a lighting kit at the SSM store that will fit perfectly inside the monster. Can we start a countdown soon mike? Its been a year almost to the day since this was annunced.

376343[/snapback]

WOW a year!!! If this was the only thing i worked on this year i would feel like i was quite lazy :) , but luckily for me i have been just about nonstop for the last year. As far as a countdown, i am going to be spending most of my next 2 days finishing up the last of the pattern parts. I know that I've said that before, but i mean it this time :) Actually what has happened is that over the course of working on this I've gotten better and better at scratchbuilding, so some of the parts that i made early on I now want to "tweak" a bit before commiting them to rubber. I've had a couple of moments where i feel like I will never finish this thing because i will want to make change after change, but i think it is at the point where i just need to wrap it up........I pulled out parts from the other 1/72 monster for the first time in a year or so, and IMO, the difference is striking. I will post some comparison pics if i get a chance.

mike

Hey mike, you must have missed my question about the Kit its on page 20 near the bottom

Ranger565

376631[/snapback]

Whoops, sorry, yes ther are panel lines very close to what you see in the line art and in that pic, you will be able to see it better in resin than with the grey primer. I also have the "eye" as a cast part that you can paint white and stick on. Overall the monster evolved along a couple of different lines, as there seems to be no "official" version of the monster, there are a couple of different line art versions as well as the animated version, and a number of different models ( I did not use the 1/72 for any ref) the Yellow Sub model seemed to be one of the best looking ones and i took some ques from that. I also had to take into consideration a way to make it hollow, a way to make it reasonable to mold and cast, make it as easy to paint (ie light green and dark green parts are cast seperatly for the most part) and make it reasonable to assemble and capble of standing up. Add to that the lighting stuff, some poseablity and trying to get this thing done for a reasonable price :)

All that being said, i know people are still going to have "wishlist" for the monsters details, some may just not make it in for a number of reasons. Being an optomist i hope people can see it as an chance to customize their monster if they see fit.

Hope that did not seem like a rant, i just really want people to know why the model is the way that it is and hopefully everyone will be happy with it.....

mike

Yeah, no hurry cuz I still hafta scrounge up the cash.  I hafta lay off the crack and hookers for a while.

376657[/snapback]

I hate it when I have to do that.

But for this I might even reduce my beer intake too.

I did...but then I went & bought 2 FMMF's.

And a SMT Scorpion, launch arm, crate of gundams, UD Valk....

I'll find the money again, I always do.

quick update, with the exception of the hindge, the pattern is done!! The first round of molds should be done this weekend, then i need to make a handful of production molds, then they start shipping. I will start posting pics of the parts as they come out of the molds over the course of the week....

mike