1/72 Resin Monster Model!

AlphaHX

Ill take mine with or without. Its big enough i ought to be able to stencil the major markings on it and use random small decals for tiny detail stencils. Id just need a scan of the full size sheet to use for a stencil template.

Edited by HWR MKII

I'd like to know too. I thought I read the master for the body was destroyed in making the mold a page or 2 back.... how many will you get out of one set of molds? In looking down the list, I'm slated for the 23rd unit to come off the line :( . That is unless some other members don't have the funds together when the PM arrives.....

Better be fast with the ordering, if I want to get one from the first batch...

Total noob question here: is there likely to be a quality difference between the first batch and any subsequent batches?

380703[/snapback]

I expect the molds to hold for at least 35-40 kits, keep in mind that for many parts i will be making multiple molds, so those will go even further. As for the master breaking, i take whats called a "protection master" using a special tooling resin, so if i need to i can make a new mold of any of the parts.....

The only mold that i would be concerned with as far as diminishing quality would be the large body mold, however most problems with a mold arise from deep undercuts or a large about of prominent detail, while the monster body is detailed it does not have a lot of parts that would be prone to ripping out, that added to the fact that i use one of the best mold materials that i have found, should get us enough kits, if i need to i will simply make more molds :)

Look at my online name, avatar and sigline and what does that tell you  :D  :wub:

380805[/snapback]

That you are a slightly bigger geek than the rest of us? :p

380856[/snapback]

LOLOLOLOLOLOL :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

No i think im at the same level of geekdom as the rest of you. Its the people who buy TOYS and disassemble them just to rebuild them and try to call themselves modelers that are bigger geeks.

IM NOT A GEEK IM A MODELER! :D:D

No i think im at the same level of geekdom as the rest of you. Its the people who buy TOYS  and disassemble them just to rebuild them and try to call themselves modelers that are bigger geeks.

IM NOT A GEEK IM A MODELER! :D  :D

380933[/snapback]

Wow... you tee'd that one up perfectly for Grayson and I. Shall you swing first or me, Grays?

Well the toy boys are such geeks they drove Mr. Moscato from the toy forums and any more custom toy parts forever. They couldn't handle the suedo modeling toy customization, now he's all ours again.

Swing away LTSO :)

Edited by Grayson72

Well the toy boys are such geeks they drove Mr. Moscato from the toy forums and any more custom toy parts forever.

380977[/snapback]

I just finally checked that out... Wasn't very nice thing to John...

381003[/snapback]

Man, I love Captain's work.....which thread is this in??? :ph34r:

Well the toy boys are such geeks they drove Mr. Moscato from the toy forums and any more custom toy parts forever.

380977[/snapback]

I just finally checked that out... Wasn\'t very nice thing to John...

381003[/snapback]

Man, I love Captain\'s work.....which thread is this in??? :ph34r:

381013[/snapback]

It\'s all in the for sale threads, VF-1D conversion kits.

Eventhough the cap\'n has sworn off dealing with the toy boys he still delivers some awsome goods.

Ok, bad news.....well not that bad, but delay news....I am out of resin...not because i did not order it, but because the batch that i just got is a bad batch....10 gallons worth of spoiled resin...replacement resin is on the way, but may not be here until tuesday...so look for the first orders to be taken later next week...sorry i get a boatload of work done on the weekends and now i am stuck.....

sorry guys :(

mike

Ok, bad news.....well not that bad, but delay news....I am out of resin...not because i did not order it, but because the batch that i just got is a bad batch....10 gallons worth of spoiled resin...replacement resin is on the way, but may not be here until tuesday...so look for the first orders to be taken later next week...sorry i get a boatload of work done on the weekends and now i am stuck.....

sorry guys :(

mike

381388[/snapback]

So how do you tell if resin is bad or not?

So how do you tell if resin is bad or not?

381394[/snapback]

If it cusses you or pulls a knife on you then its bad.

:p

sorry couldnt resist.

I `ll let mike answer this as his answer will be far more technical than mine

1/72 Jelly Monster would be fun though. :p

381431[/snapback]

Man, watch what you say. Last time I offered anything for casting I got someone asking if I would do them one in chocolate.

...and I'm still tempted to try. ;-)

So Mike don't tell me you had to clean the oily, sticky, half-cured resin out of the large mould? :o tell me you tested it out on one of the smaller moulds first.! One of the worst parts about casting is when you get a bad shot and have to clean out the mould. :( It can be kind of trichy to if there's a lot of fine detail in the mould trying to get it clean without damaging the mould can be tricky business.

So Mike don't tell me you had to clean the oily, sticky, half-cured resin out of the large mould?  :o  tell me you tested it out on one of the smaller moulds first.! One of the worst parts about casting is when you get a bad shot and have to clean out the mould.  :(  It can be kind of trichy to if there's a lot of fine detail in the mould trying to get it clean without damaging the mould can be tricky business.

381811[/snapback]

My first pour out of the bad batch was not a mold for the monster, it was for another project. Luckily my eye caught the resin starting to leach in what was left in the mixing container and i pulled out the part before it got the mold messy....

mike

Even i can't believe it but they sent me replacement resin for the bad resin.......ready for this.....from the SAME BATCH :angry: Seems like the shipping dept did not get the notice TO STOP SENDING THE BAD RESIN OUT.....AHRHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Even i can't believe it but they sent me replacement resin for the bad resin.......ready for this.....from the SAME BATCH :angry:  Seems like the shipping dept did not get the notice TO STOP SENDING THE BAD RESIN OUT.....AHRHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

383173[/snapback]

Just out of curiosity... That "bad" resin wasn't Smooth On, was it?

Even i can't believe it but they sent me replacement resin for the bad resin.......ready for this.....from the SAME BATCH :angry:  Seems like the shipping dept did not get the notice TO STOP SENDING THE BAD RESIN OUT.....AHRHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

383173[/snapback]

Just out of curiosity... That "bad" resin wasn't Smooth On, was it?

383219[/snapback]

Yep, Smooth-On, depending on the part i use either Vagabond or Smooth-on 321, both cure to about the same color but the 321 is a 7 minute resin and the Vagabond is a 3. For some reason the 321 will leach if the B part is "off". I have used it for at least the past 2 years without a problem (although it takes much more stirring to avoid problems) , but i just am suprised they sent me resin from the same batch 2x. I was really upset yesterday, but they are replacing it at no cost and picking up the bad batch....just more delays.