1/72 Resin Monster Model!

AlphaHX

SNIP

The Ugly, this thing is huge, about $250.00 worth of rubber, and the pattern was destroyed so i will be taking a low shrink "protection copy" incase i ever need to remake the mold.

SNIP

379033[/snapback]

I was wondering, how come the master pattern was destroyed in this process?

379558[/snapback]

The basic frame of the body was made largely of balsa and balsa foam, it was really really fragile, but the body has some curves that needed to be carved and balsa and balsa foam are easy to carve....

Wow, what a weekend......95% of the molds are done, some small detail parts need to be molded still and the engine hatch....i need some sleep :) anyway here are some pics of a mock up, the valk is a 1/60, not a 1/72, the valks in the back are 1/48's, it is a bit sloppy because it is not really glued together, just pinned together, hence the paintcan support........

Picture587.jpg

Picture586.jpg

Well your excellent work as usual is outstanding.

May have to look at getting one, although I havent got anywhere to put it at the mo but I can keep it for a while in a box in the attic. Just have to wait and see how much cash I have when I come back from Japan next month.

Mike when your done how bout some pictures of your workshop from the various pictures of the monster it looks bigger than my house.

Good Lord! After seeing that put together, there is no wonder its called "Monster".

Excellent work, and I am eagerly awaiting your call for payment (even

if my wallet isn't). ;)

Just a FYI, a attic can be nasty to models. The heat can warp plastic and resin. The temperature changes and humidity kill decals.

Well your excellent work as usual is outstanding.

May have to look at getting one, although I havent got anywhere to put it at the mo but I can keep it for a while in a box in the attic. Just have to wait and see how much cash I have when I come back from Japan next month.

Mike when your done how bout some pictures of your workshop from the various pictures of the monster it looks bigger than my house.

379923[/snapback]

O... M... G... That is just incredible! I can't wait to have this, take it out for walks, feed it scrap Destroids... :blink:

SNIP

The basic frame of the body was made largely of balsa and balsa foam, it was really really fragile,  but the body has some curves that needed to be carved and balsa and balsa foam are easy to carve....

379883[/snapback]

Oh I see, I thought it was solid, like styrene and putty.

Balsa foam? I heard that stuff didn't work well, so I did mine out of sheet styrene. There's some hard curves to get sheet styrene to bend to on a monster. It was battle. Is the Balsa foam good? Does it get slathered with putty or some such? Inquiring minds want to know.

I've been watching this post since it began. Extremely nice work. The thing definitely needs the name of Monster. I dont know where I would put that thing. I dont think it would fit in a standard glass cabinet. Great price for this kit.

Balsa foam? I heard that stuff didn't work well, so I did mine out of sheet styrene. There's some hard curves to get sheet styrene to bend to on a monster. It was battle. Is the Balsa foam good? Does it get slathered with putty or some such? Inquiring minds want to know.

379974[/snapback]

The balsa foam/balsa wood was covered with a skimcoat of lightweight bondo, i would have prefered to cover it with styrene but think that would not have worked on all of the curves that the body has. I ended up being happy with the balsa/bondo combo because I tweaked the body over the course of building and i am not sure if i would have been able to do that as easily with the styrene. If i was building something along the lines of say.....Oh 1/2500 DYRL SDF-1 that does not have so many curves i would likely use a harder wood and cover that with styrene....if i was going to build such a thing.....

when will you be taking payments, I have been saving up for the 2 kits for a while, man they look awesome, I just hope someone will make the 1/72 destroid phalanax unit and others.

Well, I am sold ;) Put me on the list if there is still a spot left! ...now, just to figure out what is the best shipping method to get this baby shipped all across the pacific :unsure::lol:

Just a FYI, a attic can be nasty to models. The heat can warp plastic and resin. The temperature changes and humidity kill decals.

379940[/snapback]

Yeah good point Athough ours is dry it can get hot. I mostly only use it to store Books and boxes. All my good stuff gets put in sealed plastic containers. I guess the monster would have to go in the Cupboard under the stairs.

Quick update for everyone, i just poured the mold for the engine cover, that is the last of the big molds, i now need to concentrate for a couple of days on making multiple molds for the small parts and finishing the hinge pattern. Unless I hit a snag i will anticipate taking $ for the first 5 orders early next week and shipping those out within a week or so of payment, i will be starting a for sale thread over the weekend. Keep in mind that the instructions will likely be in process when the first are shipping....

mike