Next Samurai Monkey model: 1/72 Regult.

captain america

There's actually a method to my madness...

Should I ever decide to produce a 1/72 Zentradi soldier to go with the 'Gult, I want it to look right. I know the cockpits are supposed to be cramped, but there's a difference between cramped, and dangerously shrink-wrapped :lol:

If anything, I think that the 1/72 kits are more like 1/100 scale as far as proportions are concerned... I can stil remember seeing that episode where Hikaru/Misa/Max/Hayao escape from the Breetai's ship aboard a pod and you see three VF-1s retrieve it; you could clearly see the pod was quite large.

If anything, I think that the 1/72 kits are more like 1/100 scale as far as proportions are concerned... I can stil remember seeing that episode where Hikaru/Misa/Max/Hayao escape from the Breetai's ship aboard a pod and you see three VF-1s retrieve it; you could clearly see the pod was quite large.

Yup... it was huge...

I'm more and more convinced that Capt's calculation is right on the money. Either way, I'll still be giving him my money so whatever... :p

Edited by AlphaHX

My 2 cents...the Captain's eye for scale/detail is impeccable. I say make the pods larger than the Imai kits based on the size of the Zentraedi.

My guess is that Imai was probably constrained by the size of their available injection molding machines and by the amount of plastic ($$$) they wanted or could shoot into each mold. There was also probably a "marketing" geek in their saying that the bad guys can't be bigger than the good guys. ???

;)

-THOR

Guest Bromgrev
I was always under the impression the plastic pods were too small for teh scale. I was just looking at the 1/72 Glaug and there is NO WAY a Zentraedi can fit in that cockpit. I assume the Regult would be the same business.

As losg as it's big and looks good, I'm good for the TWO I said from the beginning.

Couldn't agree more. My impression of Zentraedi was formed the moment I saw the first one next to a battroid, which seemed similar in size. Those pods should be BIG! :o

Hmmm... impressive just how much it vaires from picture to picture. ALtho I think I like it much larger, and am now going to have to go out a grap a few of the IMAIs and call them 1/100 so I blow them up with my Koenig....

On that Studioe Nue pic, I LOVE the VF-1J gunpod. In all seriousness that is a sweet looking gun, even if it isn't right.

On that Studioe Nue pic, I LOVE the VF-1J gunpod.  In all seriousness that is a sweet looking gun, even if it isn't right.

It was also in the Design Works. I gotta admit, its pretty cool looking. Too bad it never made it into the series.

Edited by AlphaHX

My personal opinion on the matter is that scale variance minutia isn't really that important to me. It seems to me that the scale varied in the show due to animation errors, and artistic interperetation for battle scenes, likewise, as shown in the varous scale diagrams posted there are some minor inconsistencies between the size of the pods and the pilotspace within them.

If the Cap'n wants to make the model to a scale he thinks is right for a potential future pilot figure, by God, I am more than happy to have a slightly larger battle pod. I don't think the rationale behind the size variance is off the wall, going off average pilot size, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Hell, for purists and mathematicians who like the charts better than certain frames of the animation you can call it 1/72, 1/60, 1/48 or 1/63 and 2.1341248763% scale for all I care :p

Tangent rambling aside, I am excited about this kit!

I wonder how accurate the 1/72 Millia figure that came with the Club-M Rau is? If it was accurate that could help the captain better estimate the pod size.

I compared that figure to the cockpit of the Glaug. Her head might fit in there, and that's about it. If the kit is based on her sized Zentraedi, it'll be a HUGE pod! (I wouldn't complain!) ;):lol:

Argh! Now I'm in a quagmire...

The "large" Regult makes more sense since a Zentradi soldier can actually fit into it, but I just now printed some plotter outputs to scale: this thing is HUGE!!! :blink:

Now i'm really contemplating whether I should shrink it down just for practicality's sake. If I go ahead and sculpt it at this size, it would mean a jump of about $30.00 in price, just for the extra resin. The only bonus I can see in making it this huge is that it would be adequate for both 1/72 in terms of "logical" scale, and also 1/48 if you base yourself on numerical values... So you could put it next to your 1/48 Yammies. But it would cost $30 more.

Or... I can keep it to scale with the Imai model, which is "correct" in terms of the numerical height dimension. Smaller, but also easier on the wallet.

Any suggestions guys? It's your money.

Maybe as with the SDF-1, the interior of the Regult appears larger than the exterior. :rolleyes:

Would the extra size and weight require extra support in the legs, thus adding

more to the cost?

I am hesitant to want to shell out an extra $30 per unit, but I trust your judgment

on what would look best and be the most economical.

$30 bucks? no big deal to me, that's almost the size of the Matchbox toy now, which kinda makes sense since the Matchbox figures would be about the right size as well in 1/72 scale.

And hey the bigger the pod the more detail right? an ultimate detail pod, sweeet!

Edited by Grayson72

I'd pay the extra $30 if it's that size. I don't care about the 1/72 scale but it would look damn good next to my Qrau and 1/48s.

Hey cap would it cost less to have one without the clear parts? I would want to build one without being able to see the cockpit.

Anyway... 2 poseable Regults 33cm tall for an est. $155 please. And only if it stays that big. Thanks. ;)

Edited by >EXO<

AAARRRGGGHHH!

Anime Magic rears it's ugly head! :o

I'm in for probably two at this point no matter what. :p

Go for the gusto Cap!

I'd be willing to sacrifice the detailed cockpit too if that would mean a significant weight/cost savings. The cockpit interior could become another add on possibly as long as you make the pod hollow. ;)

Zentradi soldiers are normally around 9m, not 10m.

Do you have any confirmed data to back that up?

That info comes from the Animeigo liner notes. Five times a typical human height of 1.8m -> 9m. But I don't see a problem with fitting a 10m pilot into a pod without making it taller than the Destroid Monster, either. Maybe won't be as spacious as the pilot might like, but Zentradi don't need to be comfortable.. :)

I am aware, of course, that Macross (especially the animation itself) is full of consistency errors with regard to these matters of scale. The shot of the massive Regult being carried by three battroids, for instance, is the exception, not the rule. Coming up with any "scale" representation of these mecha is a compromise.

My recommendation is to first keep the Regult within the same ballpark size as the Battroid. Not necessarily sticking to the exact 15.12m figure - but close. Maybe 17-18m would be a good size. (I've personally created a mockup with my Nichimo Regult - and I'm satisfied that if the seat of the pod is dropped down and the pod itself expanded only slightly, a 9m pilot can fit inside.) Come up with a compromise that allows the pilot to fit inside, keeps the legs long enough to retain the look of the pod, and still doesn't completely blow away the typical anime image of the Regult being bigger than a battroid without completely dwarfing it.

Yes, I think a scale compromise might be the lesser of two evils in this case. My biggest concern was more a matter of the joints not being able to support the base structure of the model from the added weight of the masive size. Here's what I propose:

-I sculpt the Regult closer to the recognized 1/72 scale based on the 15.2m height, but just enlarge it slightly... Say 18m. In 1/72, that's still 25cm, bigger than the Imai model, but will retain full poseability and will just be generally easier for me to mold/cast.

-FOR THE TOY BUFFS: I can, later on, take the sculpt for the model kit and simply hydrospan it up to 1/48 scale. I can roto-cast the main pod hollow (no cockpit or opening hatch) to save on weight and I'd make the legs fixed-pose to cope with the sturdiness issue and voila! A 1/48 regult that you can put next to your Yammie.

33cm is just a bit taller than a foot. Arent 1/48 Valks a foot tall? Shouldnt a 1/48 Regult be bigger than that? :huh:

Man, none of these sizes make any sense... <_<

Whatever, if its 33cm, I'll pay the extra, if not, thats fine with me too. I could care less either way. :p

Actually, if anything, I think making it 33cm might be a better idea just the owners of 1/48 toys would want them too. You'll be able to sell more that way. ;)

IMO:

I say stay true to scale based on the size of a zentraedi. Messing with scale to accomodate anything else means it becomes a toy in my mind. Those super-deformed kits/toys are atrocious. Nothing like a cute killing machine.

<_<

Of course I'd pay more to get something that more closely represents the subject as it really would be.

I'd also pay for anything from the Captain puts out for us.

:D

Thanks for making this kit for us!!!!

-THOR

Edited by THOR