Gran Turismo 4

vf1_soulja

Whew!!! Just got off the controller after sitting in playing for 5 hours straight. I must say, it's awesome! I musta spent an hour navigating thru all the countries checking out all the cars... some very cool cars AND trucks to work towards. It's cool that you can transfer licenses and up to $100,000 from GT3.

Earned three cars so far, one was a weird open wheeled electric thingy, some "special" car that you can only drive and not race.

well, I didn't have time to pick up the game yet,, but I'll pick it up soon,, I did played GT4 Prologue awhile back and I love it, so I'm sure I would love the finish version even more.

Time to beat my friends on GT all over again. :D:lol: Ever since GT1 one of my friends keep saying that the only reason he lost to me is because it's not realistic enough, then on GT3 it was the steering wheel don't turn like real cars, but I guess he'll come up with something else this time since we already pick up the Logitech force PRO for GT4 with it's 900° real turning ratio.

I picked it up, but I've failed to be hooked, per se. Mostly, I run through one cup, then quit for the day.

Don't get me wrong... GT4 is probably the best version of Gran Turismo out there. The graphics have improved since the already impressive GT3, the new menus and world map look great, and there's a ridiculous number of new cars and new tracks.

The list of cars is a little less impressive, though, once you realize that that there's not so many brands, it's just that every version of the Honda Civic since the late 70's is there. And as I'm playing, I can't quite shake the feeling of "been there, done that." I played the hell out of GT3, and the progression in GT4 is extremely similar, even with new tracks sprinkled in. So far, I've run through the Sunday Cup, the Clubman Cup, the FF Challenge, the Japan Championship, the Mirage Cup, and the Lancer Evolution Cup. Now I'm thinking to figure out if the 350Z I won is okay to use for the FR Challenge, but I know my 3000GT is good for the 4WD Challenge because it's the same car I've used for that Challenge in GT3 (actually, GT1 and 2 as well).

I bought the game the first day and its gREAT! Im not hooked on it the same way I'm hooked on world of warcraft, but anytime my PS2 is on that what I'm playing.

A little tip, in Tuner Village, under HPa performance, there is a 530hp 600lbft 4wd R32 that is only a little over $30,000 cr.

I am thoroughly enjoying my GT4. I really appreciate the return of the older cars to the series. There are still some tracks from GT2 I would love to have back (Rome Night, Tahiti Road, Red Rock Valley, Grindelwald).

It is an awesome game, my only complaint is the lack of appearence customization. I don't want to be able to buy this or that wing, or body kit...but the setup in GT2 was great. When I am driving a 500hp civic, it shouldn't look like a stock civic with new wheels, it should look like a race car. That is probably the single feature I miss most from the earlier games.

So far I haven't been able to play too much, but as soon as my acedemic plate is clean for a few days, I will station myself in the living room and make a weekend out of it.

I am thoroughly enjoying my GT4.  I really appreciate the return of the older cars to the series.  There are still some tracks from GT2 I would love to have back (Rome Night, Tahiti Road, Red Rock Valley, Grindelwald).

It is an awesome game, my only complaint is the lack of appearence customization.  I don't want to be able to buy this or that wing, or body kit...but the setup in GT2 was great.  When I am driving a 500hp civic, it shouldn't look like a stock civic with new wheels, it should look like a race car.  That is probably the single feature I miss most from the earlier games.

So far I haven't been able to play too much, but as soon as my acedemic plate is clean for a few days, I will station myself in the living room and make a weekend out of it.

The appearance customization thing bothers me too, but for different reasons. GT has been, more or less, about customizing things that actually affect the car's performance. They said once that it takes them a long time to render a car so accurately, and if they took the time to start rendering visual mods for the cars, they'd have less time to render more cars. I'm cool with that. And, let's face it... you buy a Civic, you pop open the hood, you tune and tweak to get the most hp out of that Civic as you can, and (until you start ripping stuff out to lighten the vehicle) for the most part, it still looks like a stock Civic. (Personally, I never cared for the full racing mod kits in GT1 and GT2... why take a perfectly gorgeous car and turn it into a hideous NASCAR reject?)

But now, they're like, "You can make your car look awesome! You can put on a new wing... or rims!" So I can take the perfectly good spoiler off my Evo VIII and replace it with a god-awful fugly wing? Whoop-dee-frickin' doo. If they're going to start dabbling in visual mods, they shouldn't be so half-assed about it. They should go all-out, like NFSU, Midnight Club 3, SRS, etc, or if it really takes away from rendering that '97 Mirage we could all live without (hell, I have a Mirage, and even I don't really want to see them in racing games), then don't waste time with a handful of wings and rims, either.

Edited by mikeszekely

Hey, quick question to anyone else who's played this far... what's a good car to use in the Lightweight cup? Oddly enough, there's not a weight restriction, but a length restriction... the car has to be under 3400 whatever units they're measuring in (I'd guess cm). Closest I've got in my garage is the '97 Mirage Cyborg I used in the Mirage Cup... that's 3890. I've been shopping around, but even cars like the Toyota Vitz or little roadsters all seem to be a little bit too long.

Hey, quick question to anyone else who's played this far... what's a good car to use in the Lightweight cup? Oddly enough, there's not a weight restriction, but a length restriction... the car has to be under 3400 whatever units they're measuring in (I'd guess cm). Closest I've got in my garage is the '97 Mirage Cyborg I used in the Mirage Cup... that's 3890. I've been shopping around, but even cars like the Toyota Vitz or little roadsters all seem to be a little bit too long.

You have to use a Kei car. That means things like Suzuki Cappucino, Daihatsu Midget and other cars, the little Suzuki, Honda Fit, etc.

Been playing it since it came out, I finally got the '70 Charger today! even for a big heavy car it doesnt handle that bad, it's just going against the tuner cars that I'm losing (that Tuner Challenge series)

I've been using the '70 Charger since I started (imported $ from GT3)...and it has served me well so far. I never upgrade my cars too much, so I have had to use the Camaro LM Race Car for some victories...

For my Charger I bought all the weight reduction possible, a good suspension, breaks, transmission/drivetrain goodies, stage 3 exhaust, and the non-tune up engine upgrades. It isn't so much more powerful than stock that it is difficult to control, and it handles well enough for me to keep up with the tuners.

It works for me anyhow.

I won my old car ('70 SS454 Chevelle, white w/black), but I haven't even raced it yet...like I don't want to take it out of the box. Maybe I will do that series again to win one that I can really toss about.

The License tests seem easier to pass than before, but I have never had the patience or drive to go for all silvers or gold. Too bad for me, looks like some cool cars can be won with gold licenses.

Edited by Phyrox

Hey, quick question to anyone else who's played this far... what's a good car to use in the Lightweight cup?  Oddly enough, there's not a weight restriction, but a length restriction... the car has to be under 3400 whatever units they're measuring in (I'd guess cm).  Closest I've got in my garage is the '97 Mirage Cyborg I used in the Mirage Cup... that's 3890.  I've been shopping around, but even cars like the Toyota Vitz or little roadsters all seem to be a little bit too long.

You have to use a Kei car. That means things like Suzuki Cappucino, Daihatsu Midget and other cars, the little Suzuki, Honda Fit, etc.

Thanks, I wound up using a Daihatsu Copen.

I wish they made more changes from GT3. It seems like over 75% of the cars are the exact same ones in previous games. That's not exactly a bad thing since previous games had a lot of cool cars. But where is Ferrari, Porsche, and Lamborghini? If the GT series is suppose to be the ultimate, they should be in there. Why are there still slow, ugly 'K' cars in the game that nobody wants to drive even in real life? If anything, I wish they would ditch the lame cars and put in more classics.

At first, GT4 seems exactly the same as GT3 - just a little better looking with more stuff. However, after playing it a little it does feel more realistic and there seems to be more attention to detail. I love the new roof camera angle. I do have some graphical problems where the screen gets all pixelated. I sometimes have to pause then continue to fix it. Anyone else experience this?

I decided not to import anything from GT3 because I wanted to start from scratch. However, it's pretty tough. I've done all the license tests, most of the beginner races, and a bunch of the missions but still don't have much cash or cars I can use. Man, the later driving missions are tough.

there can't be 75% of the same cars in there because gt4 has something like 500% more cars than gt3.

even if they included every single car from gt3, it would only make up for maybe a sixth of the cars in the gt4.

I dunno though, i can't wait to get a model T or one of those mercedes motorized carrages.

anyone built up a speed12 yet? mine has over 1000 horsepower :-O

They don't let you race some classic cars, like the Model-T, or some of the concepts, like Mitsubishi i.

And for all the classic American muscle cars they crammed into the game like the Charger and the Cuda, how come there's no Trans Ams? It'd kick ass to have a black early 80's Trans Am, then pretend its KITT...

They don't let you race some classic cars, like the Model-T, or some of the concepts, like Mitsubishi i.

And for all the classic American muscle cars they crammed into the game like the Charger and the Cuda, how come there's no Trans Ams? It'd kick ass to have a black early 80's Trans Am, then pretend its KITT...

I was hoping for the Trans Am too, that sucks. I still can't wait to play it though, comes out here in europe next wednesday

there can't be 75% of the same cars in there because gt4 has something like 500% more cars than gt3.

even if they included every single car from gt3, it would only make up for maybe a sixth of the cars in the gt4.

I dunno though, i can't wait to get a model T or one of those mercedes motorized carrages.

anyone built up a speed12 yet? mine has over 1000 horsepower :-O

Yeah, I guess but it doesn't seem like it to me. I am being too critical because there are a lot of great cars in the game. I do agree about the trans-am. That's about as American as you can get when it comes to muscle cars.

I am currently trying to build up my garage and get a little cash. I do plan on searching for a 1000+hp machine and go for 300mph.

yeah,, and if you do a pricematch at a Best buy or Sear it'll be even cheaper :lol:

Best Buy only matches prices. You get additional 10% off only if the game's already been purchased from Best Buy and you show them the ad and your Best Buy receipt.

that's what I mean,, you buy the game for $49.99 and then come back in to their customer service department for the price match with compusa.

But since compusa ran out of stock, and I had some extra time today I ended up trying out my lucky. It was going well until someone said this is a hot item and you have to call in to check if they have it in stock. I was thinking.. :angry: *sigh, so close* but kept my cool. :rolleyes: And then out of no where "Sponge bob square pants, The Movie DVD" came to the rescued. The CSR doing my Pricematch also notice "Sponge bob square pants, The Movie DVD" that was also shown on my CompUSA ad. the price of the item is cheaper,, She wanted to do a pricematch on it herself. and before you know it.. I don't need to call to check for stocks anymore.. cool. Can't wait to get home. :)

This game is great. Especially on my 16:9 HDTV through component. I'm thinking I might need to upgrade to the 900 logitech wheel, though...

It would be good if some of the cars that are missing were there... but we have licensing issues mostly to blame for this.

It would be good if some of the cars that are missing were there... but we have licensing issues mostly to blame for this.

The absence of the e30 M3 is unexcusable. They put in piles of crappy Daihatsus, Hondas and Isuzu's that no one cares about but they don't bother putting in the winningest race car in history, and the only REAL M3.

Makes no sense.

I don't know about that. I mean, licensing explains why we don't have Ferrari or Porsche etc, but it doesn't explain why we have like every car Honda has made for the last 30 or 40 years, including all the shitty ones no one would ever want to even own in real life, let alone race in a game against tuned 3000GTs, Skylines, etc, but we have only a handful of brand new or classic American cars. And it doesn't explain why they obviously have a licensing deal with GM (and specifically Pontiac), yet the only Pontiacs they could manage was some ugly concept, a G6, a Sunfire, and a classic GTO. No Firebirds, no Trans Ams.

I don't know about that. I mean, licensing explains why we don't have Ferrari or Porsche etc, but it doesn't explain why we have like every car Honda has made for the last 30 or 40 years, including all the shitty ones no one would ever want to even own in real life, let alone race in a game against tuned 3000GTs, Skylines, etc, but we have only a handful of brand new or classic American cars. And it doesn't explain why they obviously have a licensing deal with GM (and specifically Pontiac), yet the only Pontiacs they could manage was some ugly concept, a G6, a Sunfire, and a classic GTO. No Firebirds, no Trans Ams.

What? No Trans Ams? Did I read that correctly? :blink:

There is a very valid reason for the presence of Kei cars and similar vehicles. The game is originally made in Japan, for a Japanese audience. Many Japanese drive these cars, and they want to be able to use their real car in the game. Additionally, some of the Kei cars are a lot of fun. Try a modded Cappucino on a curvy course and you'll see what I mean.

Porsche, Ferrari, and Lambo, as stated, are out of the game because PD could not secure licensing for them.

As for other cars, don't forget that what you see in the dealers is only a small fraction of what's really available. Cars like a Trans Am may appear at some point from the Used Cars dealer, or as prize cars.

As for other cars, don't forget that what you see in the dealers is only a small fraction of what's really available. Cars like a Trans Am may appear at some point from the Used Cars dealer, or as prize cars.

There are definately no Trans Ams in GT4.

GT4 Car List.

PONTIAC:

2004 : GTO 5.7 Coupe

2002 : Solstice Coupe Concept

2002 : Sunfire GXP Concept

1964 : Tempest LeMans GTO

2003 : Vibe GT

There is a very valid reason for the presence of Kei cars and similar vehicles. The game is originally made in Japan, for a Japanese audience. Many Japanese drive these cars, and they want to be able to use their real car in the game.

And outside of the licensing issues, there's the rub.

The game is originally made in Japan, for a Japanese audience. Many Japanese drive these cars, and they want to be able to use their real car in the game.

Man, I own a Mirage (looks similar to the '97 Mirage Cyborg in the game, save mine's a coupe, not a hatchback), and I sure as hell wouldn't want to drive it in the game. If I drove a car worth racing, then I'd probably care... but then again, cars worth racing usually turn up in racing games.

it's amazing how much the tires actually matter in this version, I was getting my butt kicked in my 3,000 lb 400WHP '70 Charger with Sport Softs, then I bolted on the Race Softs and the sucker will outrun damn near anything!