New Yamato 1/48 GBP Pics

Graham

I guess it's always good to see some kind of progress on a Yamato project. Before Yamato gives up on Macross, I sure hope they do a VF-1A CF in 1/48. There is no redesigning or retooling needed for it so I so no reason to at least do a limited run.

I guess it's always good to see some kind of progress on a Yamato project. Before Yamato gives up on Macross, I sure hope they do a VF-1A CF in 1/48. There is no redesigning or retooling needed for it so I so no reason to at least do a limited run.

Amen. There's still a market! We won't bitch about "another VF-1" anymore! We promise! We can change, baby! We can change!

I'll be a happy man if this does indeed come out. I'd really like to have a set of GBP armor to complete my 1/48 collection. I'm optimistic that this'll come out since the 1/48 line did pretty well, the GPB design isn't too complex (no transformation) and the size isn't prohibitive.

I can understand why the 1/60 Monster and YF-19 FP may never see the light of day. The Monster is huge which would no doubt limit the sales. Not everyone has room for something large that pretty much just sets there in one pose. Also, retailers may not be too interested in picking it up. It would take a lot of shelf space, cost more to ship to the stores (do distributors or retailers pay the shipping fee?) and appeals only to a limited set of consumers. The YF-19 is a complex design that would take a great deal of resources to realize. Yamato has to make it sturdy enough to be considered a toy. Also, the YF-19 may not sell as well as a VF-1. Don't forget that Yamato now has sales data for the YF-19, YF-21, VF-11, YF-21FP, VF-11FP, VB, Q-RAUs and all the VF-1 varients. We may say we want this and that, but they have a good idea of what does and does not sell (something we can only speculate about). I'm personally amazed they did something as risky as the VB-6. I just hope it wasn't a bad decision on their part.

Hey that is a pretty good point. They will most likely never reveal their sales data though. So we are left to speculation. I think the intiaial YF-19s sold pretty well due to the fact that it was the first Diecast/ABS toy that actually resembled a YF19.(not counting the VF19 Kai 1/65 frfom bandai since it is horribly inaccurate in comparison).

I also want to bring up another point.

During the inception of macross plus, we did not get any toys. Noone got the license. NOt until 1999 and 2000 did we even see a company bother getting a license for macross plus. My point? Perhaps later on years from now is when yamato will decide to make macross zero toys. And perhaps when they reflood the market later, they might make the YF19FP a reality. But who knows.

I truly think there will at least one more VF-1 1/48 release to coincide with the GPS. Maybe even a FP reissue. That and a pack in gift set with the GPS.

It would be foolish for yamato not to sell a VF-1 to mount the GPs on. And of course for those wanting to get a nice set, a pack in as well.

I agree with you on the Monster.

But also the reason why the VF-1 has been selling so well is because Yamato has made a true masterpiece of a VF-1 toy. The YF-19 and 21 and even the VF-11 not so.

Bring out a fantastic toy of any of these and Yamato will get a good and instant response. But, remember, I said fantastic, not sub par. That was what the 1/72's were.

YEs but see the VF-1 is to macross, as the RX-78s is to gundam as the MP01 is to transformers. The main known mecha that started it all will always sell the most.

We can only assume the YF-19FP would grant the same reaction, though it would in a few circles, it wouldn't please as many people as the 1/48 pleased the VF-1 fans. It's just a given.

Though I will agreee that it would please some though.

I agree with you on the Monster.

But also the reason why the VF-1 has been selling so well is because Yamato has made a true masterpiece of a VF-1 toy. The YF-19 and 21 and even the VF-11 not so.

Bring out a fantastic toy of any of these and Yamato will get a good and instant response. But, remember, I said fantastic, not sub par. That was what the 1/72's were.

I´ve gotta agree with you 100% here.

The sales are totally proportonial to the quality they put on the toy , we´ve witnessed price itself isn´t such a big factor to macross consumers nowadays.

The first M+ toys probably sold like there was no tomorrow mainly because there was no other alternatives or contemporary references to other M+ toys so people bought them blindfolded , this was not the case with the re-releases for 2 major reasons :

1.- they were the same toys as they made years back

2.- we had the 1/48 toys as reference to what they could really make.

It would be naive for them to expect good sales , but they did and hence the low sales probably were to big of a problem for Yamato to risk in releasing another failure into the market.

The 1/60 Monster was a sign of the distorted reality we lived in during the golden age of the 1/48 when we spent 24hrs asking for marvels to be produced but realistically speaking it was a ridiculous proposal in terms of cost vs sales.

All this takes us to our current state of uncertainty, with all this into account Yamato sees Macross more like a hit and miss franchise than a cashcow like it did in the beginning.

If we look really carefully Yamato has not produced a solid, constant and succesful line of toys since the 1/48 or 1/60 ( which for all intents is purely VF-1s , nothing new ), they´ve tried ( miserably I might add , save for the Koenig) to start new small and scattered toy lines here and there and that´s where their failure to get goods sales resides.

look at the Q-rau , there´re no other are no other toys of its kind to back it up ; The Koenig ; the VF-0 project itself seemed to be a stand alone project , the unfinnished M+ line, the DYRL Helmet , etc...All of them seem like stranded projects with no further thinking into them.

I completely agree with you. If Yamato (or another company) were to bring out a new larger scale YF-19 toy with the same fantastic accuracy, detail, poseability and quality as the 1/48 VF-1, then I'd bet my left testicle that it would sell extremely well.

While the original 1/72 YF-19 toy was a good first effort for a company which had never before manufactured a toy, let alone a complex transforming toy, it is by today's standard sub-par. I still love it, but I can't help but cringe now at how ugly the nose/cockpit/front landing gear section is. Still it did sell extremely well in it's day and even today usually commands very high prices in online auctions, which is a good indictaion of it's popularity.

It's a sad fact that Macross is not as popular as Gundam and every Macross toy or model released is not automatically guarunteed good sales, unlike most Gundam toys or models. Still, I think that besides the classic VF-1, the YF-19 is the only other VF with enough popularity to be a surefire hit.

Graham

Hmm didn't think about it that way.

I kind of agree. The YF19 is very popular. More so than my beloved VF-0. Currently though I must ask...

Graham whos idea was it to use Billy Wong? Were there sculptors more experienced with aviation and variable planes aside from him? Did they know about Nishikawasan since the beginning and wait for him last minute or was he the golden needle in the haysack?