DYRL - DVD Subtitle Upgrade

Hurin

Some have mentioned bit-torrenting above. I have no problem with anyone providing access to my subtitle files in this fashion. However, please do not distribute the fully compiled DVD in this way. My files do not contain any of the video or audio data from the DVD. It is the user's job to provide that through their own purchase of the DVD. Anyone providing the data from the DVD for download either directly or via file-sharing networks is blatantly breaking the law and misusing the subtitles I have provided. No, the fx DVD is not an official release, but that doesn't mean that posting it as a bittorrent or to any other file-sharing network is somehow right.

Indeed, if I had this to do all over again, I would have started this project with the official R2 DVD subtitles (over here) and never done the fx subtitles at all. But, the fx DVD was the only one I had when the mood struck me to tackle this project. . . so here we are.

Though, I can't promise that the fx subtitles will be available here forever. Ideally, I'd like my subtitles to encourage people to buy official Macross products. Thus encouraging Macross products in the future.

At this point, I'd also like to once again point out that, though I spent a lot of time on these fx subtitles, the official R2 subtitles are synchronized better to the film. I will also continue to improve the R2 subtitles in the future should this become necessary. Whereas, these fx ones are now considered "discontinued" and will not be updated.

Best Regards,

H

Edit: I broke down and imported (and then tweaked until synched) the R2 subtitles. So, I've crossed out the no irrelevant stuff above.

Edited by Hurin

It has come to my attention (thanks Mechamaniac) that I got some of the ranks wrong in the subtitles. Hikaru introduces himself to Minmay as "Sho-i" which is "Ensign" in the Japanese Navy. . . but is "2nd Lieutenant" in the Japanese Army. I agree with Mechamaniac that "Ensign" was probably the wrong choice in that situation and that it should say 2nd Lieutenant instead. After all, I don't think the UN Spacy would let Ensigns fly valkyries!

There is a similar problem with Misa's rank. That should be fixed and made more consisent as well.

I think (I don't have the ability to check right now) that I got the ranks right when they are introduced on the stage where they join Minmay late in the film. But it's annoying (at least to me) that they aren't consistent throughout.

I'll fix this on the R2 DVD Version, eventually. But, as I said previously, this edition is now discontinued.

Edit: I finally broke down and went ahead and fixed the ranks issue while I simultaneously imported and tweaked the R2 subtitles until they synched up. I have crossed out the now defunct info above.

Edited by Hurin

• 4 months later...

Hi, I've already fixed the ranks in the subtitles, and I have to say that you did an amazing job Hurin. You really went out your way to do a great service for macross fans :)

But I can't help noticing that the timing is a little strange in parts (like the intro) and just completely off in other parts (when Hikaru and Misa reach earth). Does anyone else notice this?

I'm not trying to knock Hurin. I mean if it wasn't for you I'd be stuck with Fx's subs.. which I'll admit leave something to be desired. I just want to know if it's something I screwed up, or is there something else I can fix. :unsure:

Edited by Wesker99

That's odd. I think it might have been something on your end. While these subtitles for the fx DVD aren't quite as "tight" as the ones for the official R2 DVD (this is no longer the case. The subtitle timings are largely identical between the two versions thanks to the 10/6/2005 update), they shouldn't be as bad as you're describing.

What are we talking about here? Fractions of a second? Or full seconds? I haven't mastered an fx DVD for a while now, but I'd be willing to check it out if you continue to have trouble. Maybe it's a case of DVD Lab Pro's new version screwing something up?

H

Edited by Hurin

Durring the intro sequence, we're talking fractions of seconds, but durring the scene where Hikaru and Misa first arive on earth, the subtitles will be what Hikaru just said while Misa is saying her next line. So it's a range from fractions to full seconds. But some parts, like the very end while Misa's talking about the song, the subtitles are dead on. :huh:

It just occured to me though, that I haven't actually had a chance to watch the whole thing all the way through yet. I've just been skipping around to get a feel for how the project worked out. Could I have screwed up the timing by skipping around a lot? Kinda like when you're watching a video on a slower computer and the audio and video get out of sync, but when you restart it, it's just fine. :blink:

Thanks for the quick reply though, I didn't think anyone would be watching this topic anymore :lol:

Edited by Wesker99

No problem, I get an email when this topic gets a reply. ;)

Jumping around really shouldn't matter or mess things up. At least, not on a standard DVD player or a computer that's doing things correctly.

Do me a favor, go to the part where Kakizaki dies. Hikaru's scream of "Kakizaki" should be pretty close to being dead-on.

When I would test a burn to see if the subtitles stayed synched, I'd usually test at least two spots: When Hikaru says: "Get 'em Max!" in the first battle. And where Hikaru screams "Kakizaki!" when K gets his butt blown up.

If those two points are pretty-well synched for you, then I think your DVD is fine and you're just having issues with my shoddy timing job for the non-official release! :lol:

But seriously, when I first started doing this, I actually preferred the subtitles to have a slight delay between when the dialogue was spoken and when the actual subtitle appears.

But, again, as I got better at things, and my "subtitle tastes" changed, I got more picky and wanted the subtitles to be very snappy and appear almost instantly on top of the dialogue. So, when I abandoned the fx "unofficial" release and subtitled the Region 2 official release, I took the time (several days) to nudge just about every subtitle a fraction of a second back or forward until each one is darn near perfect.

So anyways, I don't remember the timing on that scene (Hikaru and Misa early earth scene) being too terrible. But if memory serves (it has been a while), I think it was indeed a scene that I watched and said: "That could be much tighter" when I was working on the the fx release.

Best,

H

Edited by Hurin

Alright, thanks a lot Hurin.

It still could be just me. When Hikaru says "Kakizaki" it's a solid two seconds ahead of schedule. I think I'm gonna redownload the project files. I don't remember changing any of the timings when I fixed the ranks, but there's always that off chance. Is it possible I deleted a line somewhere by mistake? Would DVD-Lab try to compensate for it by moving everything up? I can't think of anything else I might have done.

Alright, thanks a lot Hurin.

It still could be just me.  When Hikaru says "Kakizaki" it's a solid two seconds ahead of schedule.  I think I'm gonna redownload the project files.  I don't remember changing any of the timings when I fixed the ranks, but there's always that off chance.  Is it possible I deleted a line somewhere by mistake? Would DVD-Lab try to compensate for it by moving everything up?  I can't think of anything else I might have done.

333879[/snapback]

Deleting a line shouldn't have done that. But, if I recall correctly, there's a shortcut key that can shift everything around that might have accidentally been pressed.

Don't put too much time into it before I get home and have a chance to test it out myself with the newer versions of the all the software that's now out there. Since I wrote those instructions, there's been a new version of DVD-Lab Pro. It may do things a bit differently and might be tweaking it. But, if you try one more burn with the pristine files above, do let me know if it comes out better and I'll spare myself the work! :)

H

I just compiled again with the 100% pure files from you. The timing is MUCH better. I'm not exactly sure what the heck I did... But I'll be more carefull this time when I fix up the ranks..

Oh well, thanks a lot for the help.. He-he.. :lol:

I feel like I've been wasting your time cause I ended up doing something I should have done from the start.

Thanks again :)

Whew! Glad you got it worked out. I was wondering if I sucked more than I thought I did! :lol:

And thanks for letting me know. Now I don't have to test. ;)

Wesker99 and I have been working behind the scenes here to figure out why his subtitles got out of synch. The answer is: If you change any of the subtitles and regenerate the subtitle stream yourself, make sure that you choose "30-fps non-drop frame" before you click "generate subtitle stream."

Of course, this is only necessary for those who are customizing the subtitles beyond what I've already done. Those just using the files as-is can ignore this.

Finally, if what I'm working on today pans out, there will be less reason for people to want to tweak the subtitles themselves. . . ;)

Howdy All,

Remember when I said I wouldn't be updating the fx DVD subtitles any further? Well, I lied. :o

Having had about five months since I last modified the Region 2 Bandai DYRL DVD subtitles, I finally felt motivated to bring the Region 2 project's bastard cousin up to date. . . and re-time its subtitles so that it is no longer quite so much of a . . . well, bastard cousin.

So, without further rambling (it's late, I'm tired), here's the change log:

10/6/2005 Update:

• Imported and then synched (at more than one spot) the more accurate timings of the Region 2 Bandai/Emotion Subtitles Project. I think for the most part, I managed to preserve the "tight" nature of the R2 subtitles and there is a dramatic improvement over the timings I previously made available here for the fx DVD.
  • Changed Hikaru to 2nd Lieutenant (from Ensign) in beginning.
  • Changed it so that Minmay refers to him simply as Lieutenant instead of "Mr. Ensign."
  • Changed all references to Roy Focker's rank to "Major" (instead of Commander).
  • Changed all references to Misa's rank (prior to return from earth) to Captain.
  • Changed all references to Misa's rank (after return to Macross) to Major.
  • Changed Max's rank to "Captain" during period surrounding the Milia vs Max battle.
  • Changed Admiral "Gloval" to "Global". . . because this is Macross, dammit.

I have test-compiled and everything seems to work fine. However, I had to go through each line of dialogue for both subtitle streams (widescreen and non-widesreen) and re-add the formatting (italics, lyrics on top, etc.). If you see a lyric that isn't on top, or isn't italicized, etc. Please let me know.

Thanks!

H

Edited by Hurin

Burned a DVD of this new version. Everything seems to be A-OK. Whew! :)

Quick note for anyone who trys to go on their own and regenerate the subtitle streams themselves, the first subtitle stream should be set to 22pt Arial while the the second subtitle stream should be set to 18pt Arial. Anything larger than 18pts for the 2nd subtitle stream causes them to fall off the edge of the screen. Whereas, the 22pts is possible in the first stream because it's the optimized for widescreen stream that has more room because, well, it's widescreen. ;)

Of course, 99.9% of y'all can ignore this. If you're using the files as-is, you don't need any of this info. This is just for the tweakers that aren't happy with the font or wording, or something like that and want to strike out on their own and change the provided subtitles.

H

Edited by Hurin

I just finished watching with the new subtitles and it was freaking sweet.

Thanks a ton Hurin :)

No complaints here.

334660[/snapback]

Well, you can take some credit too. It was your enthusiasm that rubbed off on me and motivated me to make these fixes and sorta "resurrect" the fx subtitle project. You helped me to conclude that there are just too many fx users out there and it would be a shame if they were stuck with the inferior set of subtitle timings (and the incorrect ranks issue).

So, now we're one big happy family again as the R2 and fx DVDs have essentially the same timings and subtitle text. Though, I can't promise that I'll continue to fix the fx DVD subtitles in the future should I ever update the R2 subs again. I can't tell you how much of a burn-out inducing hassle it is to get all done with hours and hours of work on the R2 DVD, and be all happy about a job well done. . . and then realize that I now have to do it all over again for the fx DVD. :o

Best,

H

I decided to tackle this project, but when I hauled out my DYRL dvd it's made by somebody called Anime Cartoons International. It's not going to work is it?

And it's probably an inferior transfer, though much better than Clash of the Bionoids!

334807[/snapback]

Unless it's just a re-labeled rip of the fx DVD, unfortunately, it almost certainly will not work. :(

H

Edited by Hurin

• 2 months later...
If you want a good, cheap copy of DYRL, FX is the way to go.

351687[/snapback]

And, as far as I know, these subtitles will only work on the fx version.

Though, don't forget, there's also the subtitle upgrade for the Region 2 (official) version (see sig).

• 2 weeks later...
For those looking for region free copies of DYRL Perfect editon.

Go here:

They appear to have 4 copies left:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Macross-Movie-Do-You-R...7QQcmdZViewItem

351680[/snapback]

I've got a copy of that and its good. I dont have an Bandai or Fx version so i cant compare it. All I can say is my girlfreind actually watched it with and she really doesn't like subtitles.

edit: i did the research and figured out the 5 disc DVD set see pic below

post-3216-1135230347_thumb.jpg

Edited by Macross73

don't buy the DVD from

SundevilDVD,

it is the AnimeCartoon version, not the FX version that they have a picture of.

Their response when confronted on that is:

It is the same movie.

anyone have the VTS_01_04.vob file from the FX edition they can send me somehow?

my FX disc skips during that section and i've tried 6 different DVD drives to rip that file.

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know how to do this?

Okay, I was able to create an image file of the DVD on my hard drive and assign it to a virtual drive that DVD Decrypter could "see," and it decrypted just fine! I'm compiling the DVD files now in DVDLab...........

edit - nevermind, i saw Tarz's post on page 5, I'll try to make a hard drive rip of DVD before decrypting...

Anyone get a read error during decryption, about 47% through the process? I can't figure out if it's just something wrong with my disc. :( . Same thing happened when i try to rip a copy.

Edited by ghostryder

I managed to get the DVD copied onto my hard drive a an ISO image file on a virtual drive.

Fo some reason, I can't get the filed decrypted to IFO format files in the demux file folder. Looks like they are in ISO format? I'm not too savvy with this stuff, so any help would be appreciated.

I managed to get the DVD copied onto my hard drive a an ISO image file on a virtual drive.

Fo some reason, I can't get the filed decrypted to IFO format files in the demux file folder. Looks like they are in ISO format? I'm not too savvy with this stuff, so any help would be appreciated.

356594[/snapback]

Looks like you may have skipped a few steps in the DVD Decrypter area. Make sure you look at each screenshot and follow each step. I don't think you're putting DVD Decrypter in the correct mode.

H

356594[/snapback]

Looks like you may have skipped a few steps in the DVD Decrypter area. Make sure you look at each screenshot and follow each step. I don't think you're putting DVD Decrypter in the correct mode.

H

356637[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure I got each step right, although my version of Decrypter seems to have more check box choices in each window. I'll try downloading Decrypter again to see if the version I have is different.

So close.... :unsure:

356594[/snapback]

H

356637[/snapback]

Okay, I should really not do these things on so little sleep. Everything worked out, and the subs are perfect. Thanks!

We may already herd this but i'll say it anyways: "Rules where ment to be broken." :rolleyes: And dang....the procedure sounds like it would take an eternity. :( But the results sounds promising! :p

Guys, it would be very illegal for someone around here to sell these (yes, I know, these are already "imports.").

I think too many requests for such a thing will get this thread shut down.  So, can we keep that sorta discussion to a minimum?  ;)

Really though, following those instructions, it shouldn't take more than fifteen minutes of clicking.  The rest is just demuxing and compiling.  It's really simple.

The tough part would come if you didn't like the font size or wanted to change something.  As that long release note says at the bottom, then you'd be in for a lot of work.  The best bet is to use the provided subtitle stream.  Fifteen minutes and you're done.  But, of course, if you need it on a DVD, you would need to find a Dual-layer drive that is also compatible with your DVD player.

If someone out there has a dual-layer drive that can write in both the + and - format on dual-layer media, they might be able to provide DVDs to people as long as they really and truly confirmed that the buyer already owned the FX DVD.  And, then, I think it would only be allowed if that person only charged shipping and cost of materials.  But I don't know.  Either way, let's not discuss that here at this time.  Maybe another thread some day.  :)

H

259554[/snapback]

I have tried the this FX perfect Subs Tutorial this weekend and my copy worked great. Now I have 4 versions of this movie, (New Perfect Subs FX, Anime Cartoon, FX one with the movie trailers, and the infamous HK Dubbed on VHS). The dub one is funny because the voice are done like my old Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest Kung Fu flix. :D

• 2 weeks later...