DYRL - DVD Subtitle Upgrade

Hurin

I'd be of the opinion that, rather than replace the slang with something more literal ("fruit salesman" to "liar"), you'd be better to replace the foreign slang with a more familiar one ("fruit salesman" to "used car salesman"). Using either "liar/fraud" or "used car salesman" would both be innaccurate as far as literal translations go, but both convey the same idea in modern English. "Used car salesman," though, would retain more of the flavor of the original dialogue.

That may just be my opinion, though.

Yes. Quite true. If a correlary idiomatic expression can be found, it should be used. Thanks for pointing that out!

H

Regarding doing this on a Mac. I think equivalent software exists. Though I don't know what it is or if it will cost you anything.

You should be able to get equivalent results with any DVD decrypting/extracting software. . . and you can hopefully find some DVD authoring software that will import one or both of the file formats of the script editing files I provide in the ZIP. At that point, it's just a questions of tweaking and formatting the lines. . ..

H

you've got a bad disc, your can clean it and retry or just use another one.

That would be my first guess too. Either a smudge or a scratch on the DVD.

Of course, this is during the extraction part, so he can't really use another one! But, as a test, if the problem persists, try to decrypt/extract another movie and see what happens.

H

Well, I tried another DVD and that decrypted just fine. I tried cleaning the DYRL DVD, and it still fails at the same point. The movie plays fine on my computer and set top DVD player, though....

I once had a FX DYRL DVD that did the exact same thing. It would get up to a certain point and crap out. And, it was brand new right out of the package. So I figured the disc was defective.

Sometimes certain drives are more sensitive to these types of problems as well. If possible, maybe you could try decrypting/demuxing the DVD on another computer, then copy the files over (via a network would be best since it's going to be a lot of data).

But, I agree, you've got a DVD disc with a defect that may or may not manifest itself on other drives.

H

Here's irony for you. I was transferring my Animeigo DVDs to my home theater hard drive last night. . . and got the exact same error on DVD #9. I tried cleaning it. . . then I tried it in my laptop. It's just borked.

Had to order another one from TMP Anime.

H

It's just borked.

what is borked?

A poster above was having trouble extracting/demuxing his DYRL DVD to his hard drive. We all surmised that the cause was a defective or scratched DVD.

Ironically, later that evening, I tried to extract all my Animeigo SDF Macross (TV Series) DVDs to my hard drive. When I got to Disc 9, DVD Decrypter gave me the same error. I then tried to use DVD Decrypter on the same DVD on a different computer, and the error persisted.

At that point, I diagnosed the DVD as defective and/or borked (old slang for "screwed up").

I hope that is now clear. :)

H

Even with a new DVD it STILL doesn't work (same error). Time to try this on another computer....

Wow. Sorry that you bought a new DVD! Maybe you can donate it to a needy MWer!

If another computer doesn't work, you might try another program. I think DVD Shrink will demux a DVD, but I'm not sure. But then you'd need to rename its output to exactly what I have specified in the project file.

My Animeigo #9 comes on Monday or Tuesday. I hope it too doesn't continue to give me trouble!

H

I loaned my Macross DVD set to a friend, and he had the exact same problem. All of the other DVD's were no problem at all, but he got errors on DVD #9.

On a related note, my DVD locks up whenever I try to watch it on any PC. Right in the middle of Rainy Night, it freezes when Misa and Claudia are talking and always at the same point.

It works OK on my standalone, it still freezes, but only for a split second, then it is fine. Anyone else have this problem?. It seems DVD#9 is buggered up in some way.

Okay, I was able to create an image file of the DVD on my hard drive and assign it to a virtual drive that DVD Decrypter could "see," and it decrypted just fine! I'm compiling the DVD files now in DVDLab...........

Congrats! Obviously, you know what you're doing! :)

One word of caution, though: DVD Decrypter is nice because it extracts things bit-for-bit with no compression. If any other programs are used (DVD Shrink comes to mind), makes sure that you turn off any compression. Otherwise, I can't vouch for the "no image quality loss" feature above! ;)

Anyone else have this problem?. It seems DVD#9 is buggered up in some way.

Hmm, my replacement DVD 9 of the Animeigo set arrived and it decrypted correctly. So, it looks like not all DVD 9s are screwed up. :)

H

Just wanted to add some things.

- I own the R2 Macross Movie disc. DVDDecrypter says the disc clocks in at around 7GB, which would mean its Dual-Layer. I don't much much about the BOOTLEG FX version or whatever you guys are talking about, but if that version is Dual Layer, then in theory it has identical video quality to the R2 disc, provided it was ripped from the R2 and didnt have any extra junk added onto the disc that would take up space.

- Provided this script or whatever syncs up during the actual film and not during other screens (like a Dolby Digital short before the movie, for instance), then it should work fine with the R2 Video.

- I don't see any reason why someone shouldn't make a torrent of a completed ISO of this. There is no difference in paying Valkyrie Exchange (or anyone else) money for what is basically a bootleg copy. The buyer (and the seller) are stealing from Big West/whatever just as much as you would be if you just downloaded it for free and burned it, or paid someone money for the blank media + postage.

Just my two cents.

- I own the R2 Macross Movie disc. DVDDecrypter says the disc clocks in at around 7GB, which would mean its Dual-Layer. I don't much much about the BOOTLEG FX version or whatever you guys are talking about, but if that version is Dual Layer, then in theory it has identical video quality to the R2 disc, provided it was ripped from the R2 and didnt have any extra junk added onto the disc that would take up space.

The fx DVD is not a direct copy of the Bandai DVD. They are two seperate encodings of different original video sources. The Bandai DVD has a higher bitrate as well.

The fx DVD also has the long 30-second black nothingness chopped off the beginning of the movie as well as the Bandai/Emotion logo screen.

- Provided this script or whatever syncs up during the actual film and not during other screens (like a Dolby Digital short before the movie, for instance), then it should work fine with the R2 Video.

I'm not sure what you mean by "where" it synchs up. On DVD, the subitles are hard-encoded with a "show" time and a "hide" time. There isn't any ongoing "synching" that takes place. Whereas, when using external subtitle players on computers, the video player and the subtitle player can get out of synch.

For the record, the subtitle stream provided does not work with the R2 DVD. Both because of the changes mentioned above and because different bitrates and encoding differences make the timings of the lines subtley different throughout the movie. It's unfortunately, not just a simple case of finding the intital "offset" between the fx DVD and the R2 DVD, and then applying that difference across the board to each subtitle.

At this point, I'm actually working on re-timing each subtitle for the R2 DVD by hand. But it's a long and furstrating process considering I'm already partially burned out by all the work I did on the fx DVD. And, well, I'm moving into a bigger apartment with my girlfriend this month. . . so time is short.

- I don't see any reason why someone shouldn't make a torrent of a completed ISO of this. There is no difference in paying Valkyrie Exchange (or anyone else) money for what is basically a bootleg copy. The buyer (and the seller) are stealing from Big West/whatever just as much as you would be if you just downloaded it for free and burned it, or paid someone money for the blank media + postage.

I would see HG getting upset before Big West. Big West isn't allowed to sell to us here in the US, so they're not really missing any money from us.

H

Ok,

So uhh, does anyone want to make me a copy of the DVD and mail it to me? Not the FX version (dont want bootleg crap) and not the R2 (cus I own it), but the re-done disc with the good subtitles.

Or put up the ISO on a server so I can DL it?

I'll make a .torrent of it and seed it as soon as I get my hands on it.

Ok,

So uhh, does anyone want to make me a copy of the DVD and mail it to me? Not the FX version (dont want bootleg crap) and not the R2 (cus I own it), but the re-done disc with the good subtitles.

Or put up the ISO on a server so I can DL it?

I'll make a .torrent of it and seed it as soon as I get my hands on it.

Hypocrite. Just my two cents worth.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any chance you can apply your fine touch to the Macross Zero DVD's from Japan too? :rolleyes::D

I'd love to. I've already done a cursory search for some timed scripts that I could tweak. But so far, I haven't found anything. And my Japanese is non-existent, so I wouldn't be able to time them myself with any accuracy.

H

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to. I've already done a cursory search for some timed scripts that I could tweak. But so far, I haven't found anything. And my Japanese is non-existent, so I wouldn't be able to time them myself with any accuracy.

H

Hello Hurin. I just want to lend my support and say I think it's great what you're doing. I would like to encourage you to consider running a subbing business. If you do not know japanese I think it would be a good idea check around the forums and see if anyone either here at MW or at other anime boards would be interested in helping you with the business. I can tell you one thing here and now. If you could get perfect rips from the original Macross Zero dvds and put good to excellent subs on them, I would be the first one in line willing to pay around $20 for the dvd!

I would also like you to consider DragonBall Z as well. The first season of DBZ is not subbed and Funkimation is taking their sweet time doing them, at like 1 disc every three months. At this rate it will be 2012 before we see the whole DBZ first season subbed.

Think about it man. You could make some good money running your own subbing service :)

I'd love to.  I've already done a cursory search for some timed scripts that I could tweak.  But so far, I haven't found anything.  And my Japanese is non-existent, so I wouldn't be able to time them myself with any accuracy.

H

Hello Hurin. I just want to lend my support and say I think it's great what you're doing. I would like to encourage you to consider running a subbing business. If you do not know japanese I think it would be a good idea check around the forums and see if anyone either here at MW or at other anime boards would be interested in helping you with the business. I can tell you one thing here and now. If you could get perfect rips from the original Macross Zero dvds and put good to excellent subs on them, I would be the first one in line willing to pay around $20 for the dvd!

I would also like you to consider DragonBall Z as well. The first season of DBZ is not subbed and Funkimation is taking their sweet time doing them, at like 1 disc every three months. At this rate it will be 2012 before we see the whole DBZ first season subbed.

Think about it man. You could make some good money running your own subbing service :)

Yes, it's a great idea.

BUT

That would be bootlegging, and ripping the Japanese DVD's to sell subbed ones is Pirating. And may be charged under the fullest extent of the Law.

Now, how bootleggers get away with it, I've no clue. But if there's one thing that this board does not, is condone Pirating.

Now, what Hurin had done is just provide the scripts, and it's up to us to get the DVDs (legit or bootleg), and to just apply them. Which is nothing wrong, since the risk if to ourselves only and not to Hurin.

And besides, if Hurin would start up a business, then he would have to pay for the rights, like any other legit subbing/dubbing business. And you'd be back to square one, with things like delays, etc., and all the problems those other legit business have now.

And if Hurin does not pay for those rights, then he's in for a world of hurt.

Yes, it's a great idea.

BUT

That would be bootlegging, and ripping the Japanese DVD's to sell subbed ones is Pirating. And may be charged under the fullest extent of the Law.

Now, how bootleggers get away with it, I've no clue. But if there's one thing that this board does not, is condone Pirating.

Now, what Hurin had done is just provide the scripts, and it's up to us to get the DVDs (legit or bootleg), and to just apply them. Which is nothing wrong, since the risk if to ourselves only and not to Hurin.

And besides, if Hurin would start up a business, then he would have to pay for the rights, like any other legit subbing/dubbing business. And you'd be back to square one, with things like delays, etc., and all the problems those other legit business have now.

And if Hurin does not pay for those rights, then he's in for a world of hurt.

Wheels just saved me a lot of typing. :)

Wheels just saved me a lot of typing. :)

You're welcome. ;):D

5/1/2005 Update:

• Menus optimized for 16:9 widescreen televisions.
  • Subtitles now no longer appear "stretched" on standard (4:3) televisions.
  • There are now two subtitle streams included. One for 16:9 televisions and one for 4:3 televisions. The DVD player automatically selects the appropriate subtitle stream based upon what type of TV (16:9 widescreen or 4:3 standard) you selected in your DVD player's setup menu. In case this "auto-detection" fails (unlikely!), you can view the alternate subtitle format by choosing subtitle stream 2 during playback using your DVD player's subtitle button.
  • Subtitles are now on by default. You can turn them off at the main menu or during playback using your DVD player's subtitle button.
  • Some minor dialogue changes.
  • Some puncuation consistency changes.
  • Note: This will be the last upgrade to the fx DVD subtitles. I have put a lot more effort into the timings and accuracy of the official Bandai/Emotion release of the DVD here. I strongly urge people to purchase the Bandai/Emotion DVD. Support Macross!

Woops. A select few of the subtitles in the 4:3 stream weren't quite fitting on the screen. It wasn't major. But it's now fixed. Widescreen was unaffected.