DYRL - DVD Subtitle Upgrade

Hurin

Have the official 2016 release of the Blu-Ray?  These subtitles are available for that release here.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

THE DVD YOU CREATE USING THIS PROCESS WILL HAVE FULL, UNTOUCHED VIDEO/AUDIO QUALITY.

10/6/2005 Update:

• Imported and then synched (at more than one spot) the more accurate timings of the Region 2 Bandai/Emotion Subtitles Project. I think for the most part, I managed to preserve the "tight" nature of the R2 subtitles and there is a dramatic improvement over the timings I previously made available here for the fx DVD.
  • Changed Hikaru to 2nd Lieutenant (from Ensign) in beginning.
  • Changed it so that Minmay refers to him simply as Lieutenant instead of "Mr. Ensign."
  • Changed all references to Roy Focker's rank to "Major" (instead of Commander).
  • Changed all references to Misa's rank (prior to return from earth) to Captain.
  • Changed all references to Misa's rank (after return to Macross) to Major.
  • Changed Max's rank to "Captain" during period surrounding the Milia vs Max battle.
  • Changed Admiral "Gloval" to "Global". . . because this is Macross, dammit.

This project will graft better looking, more accurate, "natural-sounding" subtitles to the "FX Perfect Edition of Macross: Do you Remember Love with no image quality loss.

Please Note: You must already own the fx DYRL DVD to be able to do this. There's nothing wrong going on here. :)

THE FILES PROVIDED HERE WILL ONLY WORK WITH THE FX REGION-FREE DVD.

If you have the Bandai/Emotion Region 2 DVD, please go here.

(These look better on your televsion/computer. JPEG compression is visible in these web-ready images)

menucapture.jpg

The outer black area will not be visible on a television due to overscan (border of your television obscuring the screen).

capture.jpg

capture2.jpg

capture3.jpg

capture5.jpg

Things You Will Need

To Generate the New DVD files

1. A copy of the fx "Perfect Edition" of DYRL. This is readily available on eBay. Look for the green and red "fx" logo in the corner.
  2. This ZIP file. This file must be extracted to a very specific place (see instructions below). It contains the substream file, a DVD-Lab Pro project file, etc.
  3. A program called DVD Decrypter. This program will extract the DYRL DVD to your hard drive so that we can work with its files. It's getting harder to find this program since its author started getting hassled by "the man." However, at least for now, it's still available here.
  4. A program called DVD-Lab Pro (download). This is the program that we will use to work with the files that are extracted by DVD Decrypter. It's free and fully functional for 30 days. After that, you should pay. But you shouldn't need it for more than a day or two unless you get in the habit of doing this sort of thing.
  5. A computer with a DVD drive.
  6. Approximately 20GB of free hard drive space. Though, when you are done, this shrinks down to the size of a DVD (about 8GB).

For Playback

You have four options here:

1. If you have a DVD burner that is capable of burning to "dual-layer" or "double-layer" media, you should be able to burn the results of our labor to a DVD that will play on your table-top DVD player.
  2. You could use 'DVD Shrink' to compress the result of all this onto a standard (non-dual-layer) DVD that would then play on your table-top DVD player as well. However, I'm a purist and I don't want to lose any image quality, so that's out for me.
  3. Of course, the resulting DVD files will be playable on your computer as long as you have DVD player software installed. Basically, if you can watch a DVD on your computer now, you can watch this DVD when we're done.
  4. The way I'll be watching it is via my HTPC (Home Theater Computer). It's hooked up to my TV and plays DVDs back as good or better than my table-top DVD player. So, that's why I'm being a little vague about option 1 or 2 above. I haven't had to do either of those yet because my HTPC will play this back via Beyond Media and its DVD Library Plugin.

Getting Started

Downloading and Extracting the ZIP File

1. Download the ZIP file mentioned above.
  2. Using Winzip or the file decompressor of your choice (Windows XP has one built in), extract the ZIP file to the root of your C: drive. This file must be extracted to the top level ("root") of your C: drive so that its directory structure is C:\macross-dvd. (screenshot).
    When in doubt, just type C:\ where it asks you for the destination path. Then check out the screenshot above to make sure things look right. The ZIP file extracts to its own folder named "macross-dvd" so it will not flood your hard drive with strange files. I wish I could make this last bit flash in bright neon because this has tripped up more than a couple of people. The ZIP file, by default, wants to unzip to a folder based on the ZIP file's filename. You must override this and just tell it to unzip to C:\ and nothing more. The ZIP file contains a folder, so your C: drive won't be messed up. But you must have the correct folder name and directory structure for the rest of these instructions to work.

DVD Decrypter

1. Put your copy of DYRL (Fx Perfect Edition) in your DVD drive.
  2. Open up DVD Decrypter and choose Tools along the top. Then click Settings.
  3. Click the IFO Mode tab and set everything up like this image. Then click OK.
  4. After clicking OK, click Mode along the top, then choose IFO.
  5. Now click the Stream Processing tab on the right. You should see something like this image.
  6. Note that DVD Decrypter should have automatically detected the three main files you will need and each of them is already checked:
    • Click the first stream (video) to highlight it. Make sure that you only highlight it and do not uncheck it. Then click Demux below. (screenshot)
    • Click the second stream (audio) to highlight it. Make sure that you only highlight it and do not uncheck it. Then click Demux below. (screenshot)
    • Click the third stream (subtitle) to highlight it. Make sure that you only highlight it and do not uncheck it. Then click Demux below. (screenshot)

[*]Click the "Folder/magnifier" icon and then select "C:\macross-dvd\Demuxed DVD" as the destination path. (screenshot)

[*]When you're ready, press the green arrow to begin "demux"-ing (screenshot). Now, wander away for about twenty minutes to an hour. . . when it's done, you should have a bunch of files resembling this image in C:\macross-dvd\Demuxed DVD\.

We're now done with DVD Decrypter.

DVD-Lab Pro

1. Open DVD-Lab Pro. Click Continue and/or OK until you get past the introductory screens. What you choose here does not matter because we will be opening up a stored project in the next step.
  2. Click File along the top menu. Then click Open.
  3. Navigate to C:\macross-dvd\Project File\
  4. Open macross-dyrl-fx-perfect-subs.dal
  5. You should then see a bunch of stuff pop up on the screen. You can ignore all this stuff. If you are the adventurous type, feel free to explore things a bit. However, if you think you might have messed something up, just be sure not to save and re-open the file above.
  6. Click Project along the top menu. Then click Compile DVD.
  7. Confirm that all settings look like this.
  8. Set the destination path to whatever you wish. Though, a place for the Final DVD Image is provided at c:\macross-dvd\Final DVD Image\.
  9. Click Start. Your hard drive should go a little crazy, and it will say: "Frame Indexing Movie 1." The frame indexing is done only once as long as you retain the IDX file that it will be placing in your C:\macross-dvd\Demuxed DVD\ directory. Future compilations will not require frame indexing.
  10. After it has finished frame indexing, you'll jump back to the main window but will see a log on the left side reporting your progress. (screenshot)
    Note: Sometimes, for some reason, the DVD doesn't compile completely the first time. The log says "Start building video manager" and then only a few seconds later, says "done." But there are no files created. If this happens to you, just start the compilation up again. When you see "Muxing in progress" in the little log to the left, and your hard drive starts to go a bit crazy, you'll know you're in business!

After about 30-60 minutes, the log should report "Done." At that point, you have a brand new DVD image. You're now ready to burn it to a DVD, watch it on your computer, or copy it over to your HTPC.

Thanks to Ali Sama and Mechamaniac for the inspiration (and original scripts) to do this project!

Edited by Hurin

WOW! Thanks for the all the hard work... gotta get around to trying this out... but lazy me, I think I'll just ask if someone else wants to do the work and offer DVDs for sale ... :p

Me too. I'm not that computer literate like some of you are... :p If someone can offer it for sale and it is playable on my panasonic dvd/vcr combo, then cpunt me in... :rolleyes:

Guys, it would be very illegal for someone around here to sell these (yes, I know, these are already "imports.").

I think too many requests for such a thing will get this thread shut down. So, can we keep that sorta discussion to a minimum? ;)

Really though, following those instructions, it shouldn't take more than fifteen minutes of clicking. The rest is just demuxing and compiling. It's really simple.

The tough part would come if you didn't like the font size or wanted to change something. As that long release note says at the bottom, then you'd be in for a lot of work. The best bet is to use the provided subtitle stream. Fifteen minutes and you're done. But, of course, if you need it on a DVD, you would need to find a Dual-layer drive that is also compatible with your DVD player.

If someone out there has a dual-layer drive that can write in both the + and - format on dual-layer media, they might be able to provide DVDs to people as long as they really and truly confirmed that the buyer already owned the FX DVD. And, then, I think it would only be allowed if that person only charged shipping and cost of materials. But I don't know. Either way, let's not discuss that here at this time. Maybe another thread some day. :)

H

Edited by Hurin

That's great news to report, but when I went to ANIMEniacs, I've found Macross: DYRL Perfect Edition sold for $8.00, but as of this typing it's currently out-of-stock.

Had I known that it was available a lot sooner, I would've purchased it in a heartbeat. :( But, I wish I could say the same about my credit card. :p

That's great news to report, but when I went to ANIMEniacs, I've found Macross: DYRL Perfect Edition sold for $8.00, but as of this typing it's currently out-of-stock.

Had I known that it was available a lot sooner, I would've purchased it in a heartbeat. :( But, I wish I could say the same about my credit card.

:p

I ordered mine from The Valkyrie Exchange about 2 weeks ago. Try looking there he should still have some in stock.

Hmm, I dont think selling them is that big of a deal since the Fx discs are already boots to begin with no? If someone is willing to sell them just be like "I got some...PM me :) "

Yeah, I know they're boots. But, well, I'd just like not to make this thread about distributing bootleg DVDs. Ya know? It's more admin/mod friendly that way.

Though, I must admit that the idea of a bootleg company getting upset that people are bootlegging their DVD (especially an improved version) is quite entertaining.

Mmmmm, irony. ;)

H

Edited by Hurin

Any comparisons between these subs and those in the New Life Anime fansub?

That line by Misa always bothered me. In the Fx, it's something like "Who does he think is superior, man or woman?" Which makes sense with the overall theme of DYRL but seemed very heavy-handed. I assume (hope?) that what's shown above is closer to the original meaning.

thanks, now I just need to get the shopping cart to work for me at VE.

I find that the shopping cart at Valkyrie-exchange works a lot better if, when you find what you want, you right-click the link to the item and open it in its own window. It's the frames that screw up the shopping cart. No frames, no problem.

Hey Hurin, would your script work with the R2 version?  Cause if you're looking for perfection, the R2 video quality is so much better than the FX version.

Also, this is a bit OT, but have you experienced any progressive scan problems with DYRL on your HDTV?

Funny you should mention the official R2 version, cuz I was wondering that myself. I can't imagine it looking much better than the fx/perfect one. But, if it's a different and official transfer, I guess it would be!

Do region 2 DVDs use NTSC (30fps) or are they PAL (25fps)?

I think, from what I've read in Ali Sama's thread, that I would need to shift things around because the island scene is different. And if the DVD is R2, more conversions may be necessary. But I still plan on giving it a try.

BTW, what's the deal with the ending credits on the fx/Perfect one? I hate 'em. That concert footage is so jarringly grafted on there. What's the ending like on the R2 DVD? Does it just end with Minmay counting off "One, two, three, four."

Regarding "Progressive Scan" problems. I haven't noticed anything when I play the fx/Perfect DVD in my table-top player. I do notice some "hitching" when I play the original DVD through my computer onto the TV though.

Edited by Hurin

I'm finally done. The subs looks GREAT Hurin!

Great! It's nice to see someone has tried it and it looks good.

My apologies, though. I just noticed a couple very minor problems and one pretty annoying one. The translation has Max referring to Hikaru as Ensign rather than Lieutenant right before Kakizaki is killed. The other problem is simple stuff like forgetting to move one line of meltrandi dialogue to the top of the screen.

A new substream is going to be posted in the next few minutes. I'll edit the main post to reflect the new date. :)

H

New version is up. That should be the last update for a while. My girlfriend and I just finished watching it and I was pretty careful to catch any remaining problems. If anyone finds anything egregious though, let me know.

Any comparisons between these subs and those in the New Life Anime fansub?

That line by Misa always bothered me. In the Fx, it's something like "Who does he think is superior, man or woman?" Which makes sense with the overall theme of DYRL but seemed very heavy-handed. I assume (hope?) that what's shown above is closer to the original meaning.

Regarding translations:

I worked primarily with the ones provided by Ali Sama in the thread mentioned in the first post. I also consulted the original DVD's subtitles and this script. I'm unfamiliar with the "New Life Anime" fansub. :(

I did change a line here and there. But I very rarely just outright changed a line without some basis in the original language (as determined by the resources above. . . I don't speak a word of Japanese). With one exception, and I hope I will be forgiven for it:

I cannot stand the line where Roy is about to be killed and he tells Hikaru to "Go and save Minmay". . . and Hikaru responds with: "If you say so!"

Now, maybe it's a cultural linguistic idiom, but I can't imagine Hikaru saying anything like that when his Sempai is about to be slaughtered. I looked at all the resources above, but couldn't find a more satisfying alternative. So, I simply fudged the line to: "What about you?!?"

If y'all have a problem with that. . . tough. :) But seriously, I can always provide an alternative stream with the line restored to the (in my opinion) nonsensical line. I'd also be open to someone coming up with a more appropriate line that is more in-line with the actual Japanese.

Other than that drastic change where I simply fudged something, to the best of my recollection, I only subtley altered lines to make them sound more natural in english. My philosophy in translating is that it's okay to add a word or two here and there to make it sound more natural in the new language. Even if those words aren't technically there in the original.

Oh, and my girlfriend actually liked the movie this time around. She said it finally made sense. :)

H

Another way to look at some of the issues surrounding translating:

(this is hypothetical)

If I'm translating Swahili into english. . . and the Swahili have a linguistic idiom based on a Swahili fable of a fruit salesman who always claimed to have fruit for sale but never really did. . . until he lost all credibility. And therefore the Swahili use the term "fruit salesman" to denote a liar with no credibility. . . what do I do when the Swahili film uses that phrase?

Do I translate it literally as "fruit salesman" and just confuse the heck out of my audience? Or do I use "liar" or "fraud" instead?

I think that I would have to go with the latter. I think the primary goal is for things to make sense. . . rather than just literally translating word-for-word. Let the Japanese scholars appreciate the differences between the literal meaning and the idiomatic english translations out there.

Did any of that make any sense. I'm so fried. I need sleep!

H

thanks, now I just need to get the shopping cart to work for me at VE.

I find that the shopping cart at Valkyrie-exchange works a lot better if, when you find what you want, you right-click the link to the item and open it in its own window. It's the frames that screw up the shopping cart. No frames, no problem.

tried that too :p, it should be taken care of now.

So then when i use DVD-lab pro, it then looks like this.

My video file is ony 19 minutes long!

What am i doing wrong?

I followed the directions step by stem, but after i use the DVD Decrypter gives me MANY video files, and the DVD-lab pro only allows me to add one video file that is 19 minutes long.

The audio file seems to be exact as your picture though.

Hmmmm.

Can anyone offer some help here!?!

post-2-1109066749_thumb.jpg

Edit: This problem is a lot less likely now with the new version and instructions

Make sure that your DVD Decrypter's Settings IFO tab looks exactly like this. Especially the "file splitting" option. Make sure it is set to NONE.

Also, it could be this step in DVD Decrypter:

8. Note that DVD Decrypter should have automatically detected the three main files you will need and each of them is already checked. However, You must select each one of the three checked streamed and choose demux below. Each of them must have demux selected.

This screenshot hopefully clarifies. You must highlight each one, and select Demux. So, select the video one, and select Demux, then the audio one, and select demux, then the subtitle one, and select demux.

My guess is that it's that last bit that tripped you up.

Your video stream should be one long file. Not several broken up ones.

Let me know if this helps!

H

Edited by Hurin

That's some awesome work there. Just wanted to know, is there a site that has a similar thing for a bunch of diff anime's out there? I've got a horribly subtitled Street Fighter II the Move.. bad ass movie but horrid translation.

Any ideas? Sorry about the OT.

:Dat

That's some awesome work there. Just wanted to know, is there a site that has a similar thing for a bunch of diff anime's out there? I've got a horribly subtitled Street Fighter II the Move.. bad ass movie but horrid translation.

Any ideas? Sorry about the OT.

:Dat

If you can find a timed subtitle script for it, I can show you how to create the substream from scratch. But, at that point, we would probably want to take it over to "other anime."

My membership at scriptclub.org should be coming through in a few days. I'll look for a script for you when it does.

And now. . . back to Macross. . . :)

Hey Hurin, would your script work with the R2 version?  Cause if you're looking for perfection, the R2 video quality is so much better than the FX version.

Also, this is a bit OT, but have you experienced any progressive scan problems with DYRL on your HDTV?

Funny you should mention the official R2 version, cuz I was wondering that myself. I can't imagine it looking much better than the fx/perfect one. But, if it's a different and official transfer, I guess it would be!

Do region 2 DVDs use NTSC (30fps) or are they PAL (25fps)?

I think, from what I've read in Ali Sama's thread, that I would need to shift things around because the island scene is different. And if the DVD is R2, more conversions may be necessary. But I still plan on giving it a try.

BTW, what's the deal with the ending credits on the fx/Perfect one? I hate 'em. That concert footage is so jarringly grafted on there. What's the ending like on the R2 DVD? Does it just end with Minmay counting off "One, two, three, four."

Regarding "Progressive Scan" problems. I haven't noticed anything when I play the fx/Perfect DVD in my table-top player. I do notice some "hitching" when I play the original DVD through my computer onto the TV though.

While the FX is a rip of the Region 2 NTSC Japanese DVD it is slightly different. The R2 DVD has some more start up screens(Emotion/Bandai/Toho logos). Also it goes right into the movie. Unlike the FX DVD which goes to the menu. There's also a few more seconds of the black screen on the R2.

So basically your timed script to the FX DVD will be off if you used it with the R2 DVD.

And the ending on the FX is the same on the R2. The video there doesn't look that good.

And for godsakes when will these damn liscensing issues be over and done with so Macross fans don't have to resort to this BS just to watch an hour and half movie.

All the companies involved in that mess can go suck the big one. <_<:angry:

Edited by dejr8bud