End of Macross toy production?

1 VF-1 2NV

With news overseas that MAYBE this might be the end of Macross toys, I was wondering what other members will focus their passion (money :lol: ) on? Will you collect from other toy, model kit lines, maybe pursue another hobby, or stop collecting?

For me, it'll probably mean the end. I still want the gbp, dyrl/macross, and the 2 seaters, if they're ever made by Yamato.

Well, as soon as I can cough up enough money to finally get my hands on a Monster....

Alternators - cheap, and cool to boot

Toy collecting... is generally too expensive for me. I come from a poor family AND am paying for college out of pocket... though.. I was hoping, once I had graduated, to pick up stuff at that point... It's a real pity that that will not be the case.

With Macross/Gundam Fix/Alternatrors/Transfomer reissues and the random Goagaigar toys I am OK with it for now. I just really would like Yamato to finish waht they started as far as making the 2 seaters (VF-1D/Elint/Super O)

How do they think they won't make money on these?

I'll weep for a bit, and then keep picking up HCM Pro's.

There will be new interesting stuff to trickle out, like the Garland, and hopefully there will be some nice Chogokin Surprises from Bandai (BC Hardsuits, etc.)

Still looking for a good pre-paint Urd Statue, I have a series 3 figure for now at least.

Other than that, maybe save some money.

I still have some hope for more macross goodness. I really hope they produce that sweet new Liquid Stone -19 as a toy at least.

A battlepod would be nice as well, and not that big a deal for Yamato to produce. How hard could that be to make? That may be wishing too hard though.

Yamato is sure cranking out story image figures like lightning though. <_<

Edited by Anubis

I am hopeful that we are only seeing the effects of Yamato's rethinking of their Macross line-up. Like the calm before a storm. I want my wallet to feel the wrath of Yamato again. The Mk II Monster should be 1/100 scale, so you can display it alongside it's lil' bro'. Plus they'll sell more at that scale.

I'll be able to afford the alcohol to drown my sorrows in!

Actually, if Macross toys stopped coming, I might go after some I've passed up along the way, or just put all my money into savings, like I did before all these incredible toys started showing up.

Actually I just bought a bandai 1/65 vf17s and I can't stop playing around with this toy.

Bandai if you are listening: please release some more macross 7 stuff and maybe resculpt the old toys for adults - ie big kids. (a bandai 1/55 vf22 would be cool!)

Glad you like the 1/65 VF-17 toy, it's one of my favorites as well.

Yes, a bandai VF-22 toy would be cool, but don't hold your breath waiting for one :D .

As for me, if Yamato stops making Macross toys, I'll probably just buy more old Macross plastic model kits and resin garage kits and commission sombody to build them for me.

Graham

I'm down with what Mechamaniac said lol @ Look at my sig... :lol::D Macross is here to stay. As long as there's a fanbase present it will remain. If you build it they will come. Even if they do stop I've already started. I've got a few projects in the works right now as I speak. I have to finish before I can even begin to explain exactly what they are. All I can say is that it's Macross related. I thought you thought? B))

If this is the end for Macross, that means I can finally get a life! :D

The one thing that would really, REALLY help is if this whole licensing crap would be finally resolved and Yamato could actively persue the US and international market like had been planned back in 1999/2000 and that would mean further continued development of new Macross goods.

I dunno what I would do if there was no more macross toys... seeing some of the beautiful custom macross models out there.. I'm sure I would eventually give in and try to get my hands on one.. probably the only way I'll ever get to see an SV-51... sob sob.

The one thing that would really, REALLY help is if this whole licensing crap would be finally resolved and Yamato could actively persue the US and international market like had been planned back in 1999/2000 and that would mean further continued development of new Macross goods.

Actually, I was thinking about this today and wondering if HG preventing Yamato selling in the international market has really hurt Yamato's sales or not?

Even if Yamato had been able to sell in the US and elsewhere at the lower prices they proposed, the toys are still not cheap mass-market toys by any means and so would not really appeal to the casual toy buyer.

It's my opinion that Yamato's transforming Macross toys are only really of interest to Macross and RT fans. And let's face it, if those fans who are hardcore enough to want to buy Macross toys (i.e. most of Macrossworld :D ) will always find a way to get them regardless of any interference by HG or not.

And we all know, it's hardly difficult importing Macross toys through online stores.

Graham

I'll continue to collect the new Saint Seiya: Saint Cloth Myth figures. At least us Saint Seiya fans have had really good news. Bandai is continuing with the line after the Gold Saints :D

With no YF-19FP or any other valks I like in sight, it's a dark dry period for Macross for me. I'm glad I have another great series to fall back on, that's still got lots of water coming from the well! :D

:huh:

Well, I'm one of those spanish strange specimen, the tranny ones, so I guess I'm spending tax refunds on those, and if I can, I'll get a 1/72 FP vf11 (I already have the non-FP version, but wth!).

So, who knows, binaltech and maybe some mospeada stuff. <_<

BTW, I'd like to think that maybe next year, or the year after that, or in the 50th macross + anniversary we'll finally get a brand new yf-19. :(

Yeah, dreaming is for free. :unsure:

Kind regards to everyone,

manu

Heh, I can just picture it, with no new Macross toys to spend their money on, hoards of MWers will be emerging pale and blinking from their homes into the sunlight for the first time in 5 years to actually get a life and spend their hard earned money on.........gasp........girls instead of toys! :lol:

Graham

I still think Harmony gold is part of the problem because think about how easy it would be to just go to a shop and pick up a 1/48? Similar to walking in and seeing alternators and just casually buying them on impulse?

Instead of people buying toynami valks on ebay for high price, they'd be buying up yamato ones.

Part of the reason I even knew about yamato valks was through word of mouth not because I knew what I was searching for.

I might have just settled for toynami vf1 toys because given the ignorance of other stuff, I wouldn't know any better.

Now if somehow macross and robotech could co-exist in the same market side-by-side (lets say for example the ps2 macross game gets a local release, making it accessible for english speaking macross fans who understand the robotech universe but just want to play a SDF: macross game) it would boost awareness and sales because of easy accessbility.

In my opinion it would be a happier world for fans if things were easily accessible rather than hard to get. There is hidden potential in macross if only people knew more about it apart from what they might have seen from robotech as the macross saga. (many newbies might not be aware of the differences in robotech and macross until they come here)

Maybe if DYRL was released people could identify more readily with the valkyries and when they see a toy of it available and easy for them to get, they will fork up the money there and then become an immediate valkoholic convert. I know that for me, buying stuff the old fashioned way (handing over money over a counter, and immediately getting something, as well as just window shopping - browsing without looking for something in particular) can be more convenient than waiting for item to be shipped by searching all over the place. (I think laziness has a part to play in it too. Similar to how people like going to a fast food store to get a quick snack to save time)

I think if promoted properly, sales will boost and there wouldn't be so much staggering of releases and delays because it would be easy to see demand increasing as awareness does, justifying the making of more toys. The more people that buy, the lower the price and more overall toys we would see being released. As it is when people are bottlenecked by not knowing enough, scalpers start raising prices, toys become out of the range of the average joe, and there is less overall toys sold save what hardcore fans are willing to pay.

I think if support for new macross stuff dies, I will be turning a lot of atention to alternators/binaltechs TFs. To me the quality of them is there, they are affordable, accessible, and they are not necessarily only aimed for the hardcore fan only. (ie the kind of guy that is going to be buying multiples, leaving stuff MIB, buying stuff they already own to mod, having 1 of each toy to display in each mode etc - repeat customers)

Now I remember when I first heard of news that the roy reissue was coming (I was pretty happy because I missed the boat, having not had a chance to get one) and there were a few who were complaining that this would lower the overall demand for the existing releases so they couldn't sell them at high prices. This to me is kind of a double-edged sword: on one hand you got those who keep the franchise alive by holding on to hard to get stuff, on the other it sort of alienates the mainstream from being able to afford to buy stuff, resulting in them turning attention away towards something else.

Personally I think if something is within a certain price range, accessibility, and awareness (macross is dying because hardly anyone knows it and even the robotech people I doubt know much about the macross movie) you will see a growth in general for new toys, faster release, more attention paid to the franchise etc. Imagine if you will, if toynami vf1s were mass-produced toys (not sold only as an overpriced limited edition "Masterpiece" to crazy collectors who are more interested in the expensive box :D ) like you see for transformers that you can go into a shop to buy? They would be cheaper, people would be able to see them, kids would bother thier parents to buy them that toy, and there would be more impulse purchase pressure overall when you see something readily available on a store shelf.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Heh, I can just picture it, with no new Macross toys to spend their money on, hoards of MWers will be emerging pale and blinking from their homes into the sunlight for the first time in 5 years to actually get a life and spend their hard earned money on.........gasp........girls instead of toys! :lol:

Graham

HAHA, just like the Simpsons episode when Itchy and Scratchy stop airing. Me, I'll get around to completing the 6 or so kits I still have to build and paint from buying in HK a year ago, AND the 11b custom I have been meaning to do for ages, and.. uh, pay more attention to my wife! :lol:

..I wonder if this lull in macross toys will end up in a few extra kids being born..? ;):o:blink:

I'm not sure how much this will really affect me. The only thing I was waiting on was the 19fp, everything else has already been released in one form or another... I just need to track them down. Heck, most of my toys are still packed up from the move. Maybe I'll get around to getting my house in order. It's like x-mas everytime I unpack a box and find something I forgot I had :rolleyes:

HAHA, just like the Simpsons episode when Itchy and Scratchy stop airing. Me, I'll get around to completing the 6 or so kits I still have to build and paint from buying in HK a year ago, AND the 11b custom I have been meaning to do for ages, and.. uh, pay more attention to my wife!  :lol:

..I wonder if this lull in macross toys will end up in a few extra kids being born..?  ;)  :o  :blink:

Wife? Uh yeah, I seem to remember having one of those. Last time I saw her she was under that stack of Yamato cartons over there, next to the pile of unbuilt Hasegawa's :p

Graham