hosting a Manga Night

kensei

That sounds like Project A-Ko to me. Definitely had a scene like that. Quite a funny movie if you've seen enough anime already to know the cliches that it's spoofing.

Edit: Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, and Urusei Yatsura, all by the same author (Rumiko Takahashi) are all quite funny, but I don't know if I'd start with the movie versions of any of them. They tended to gather more and more characters over the course of the respective TV series (MI is a possible exception), and unless you've kept track of all the accretia, they'll probably be pretty confusing.

Edited by ewilen

Girl jumping from missile to missile in the air?

Probably Mahoromatic, a Gainax show.

I dont like it much. Oodles of Fan Service though.

Edit:: If you can find a Subtitled version of Megazone 23, definitely show it. Its a freaking awesome movie. One of the best. The music is atomically awesome.

-BEN-MAN-

I never did find the soundtrack to the movie. Was there ever such a thing? I'm with you, I reckon the mmusic and movie was awesome.

There are many albums for the Megazone series of movies. I have all of them except the album for Part III. Breakpoint was already on the Vocals CD, and that was just about the only good song from Part III, so yah. The CDs are rather easy to find, although I couldnt give you a website to find them on off the top of my head.

Part II's 'Tell Me The Secret' is probably my favorite vocal song. Although Samishikute Nemurenai, from the first movie, is just as good.

-BEN-MAN-

There are many albums for the Megazone series of movies. I have all of them except the album for Part III. Breakpoint was already on the Vocals CD, and that was just about the only good song from Part III, so yah. The CDs are rather easy to find, although I couldnt give you a website to find them on off the top of my head.

Part II's 'Tell Me The Secret' is probably my favorite vocal song. Although Samishikute Nemurenai, from the first movie, is just as good.

-BEN-MAN-

Interesting. So there are more than one movie of Megazone 23? My video store sucks they don't realise how much more profit they would make if they brought in more anime! I'll definitely look on the net for them.

I thought that after Eve was selected as the .......thing for the Megazone......I forgot I'll have to watch it again....and Ryo and Eiji got together that was it, end of story.

there are Two megazone movies. The third does not exist. If you see it, dont watch it. Unless you want to be disgusted by what a pathetic crappy predictable directer named Masami Obari did to a wonderful story.

In Megazone 23 Shogo and friends realise that the Megazone 23 is really a huge spaceship, controlled by a computer which brainwashes and decieves its inhabitants. Shogo gets busted up in a climactic fight in the end, and he starts to wander around the streets, realising that everything he's seen is a total lie, and he sets off to correct such an injustice.

In Megazone 23 Part II, Shogo and friends try to unveil the truth, and to figure out exactly whats going on and stuff. But I wont tell you much about it, its best to leave it a surprise.

But yah, 1 and 2 are the ONLY /real/ megazone movies. The second one was done by a different director, but I think that was the idea. To see how a different director would handle continuing the story. So its still totally legitimate, and it finishes up the plot started in the first movie flawlessly. Both are wonderful movies. The second one is a lot more dark though.

-BEN-MAN-

recommendations

Nausicaa

pretty wierd movie about humans trying to survive in the after amth of a terrible war but still pretty good 8.5/10

Castle in the sky-

About a girl who has this pendent that can lead you to the legendary island of laputa but others are trying to kidnap her for this reason. One of ghiblis best 9/10

Totoro-

Movie about these two girls running around being stupid then meeting a forest spirit and running aaround being stupid. Feel good movie of the year 8/10

Grave of the fireflies-

about two kids that lose both their parents in WW2 and have to live by themselves trying to survive. Very depressing but REALLY good 10/10

Kiki-

About a young witch trying to "find herself" in the world. Another feel good movie of the year but still fun to watch 9/10

pom poko-

Movei about Tanuki trying to stop man from destroying their land. has incredible funny parts and incredible sad parts 9/10

Porco rosso-

Movie about this WW1 airplane pilot who cursed humanity and became a mercenary pilot to defet air pirates. 9/10

Only yesterday-

Really deep movie about this office owrker who goes on vacation to discover her true self, but not everyones type of movie- 9/10

Whisper of the heart-

About this high school girl and her relationship with this guy- not that great 7/10

Princess mononoke-

Creepy movie about giant pigs and wolves and human eating onkey's who are pissed at the humans for destroying their land. But a young boy named Takahato who was cursed by a pig demon may solve their differences. One wierd movei not as good as every says it is but still excellent 9/10

My neighbours the yamada's-

Well not really a movie but more like 20 short stories about his family and their lives. true parody of human family 9/10

Spirited away-

Miyazaki stikes again with one wierd ass movei. About this girl who gets stucjk in a evil bath house and has to work their and save her parents from being eaten. Wierd but still good 9/10

The cat returns-

A spinoff of Whisper of the heart. About thhis girl who saves a cat from being run over so is sent to the world of cats and is forced to become the queen. Sorta kiddie but still fun to watch 9/10

lupin the III Castle of Cagliostro- Funny movei about lupin II and his attempt to save this girl from a forced marriage. Pretty fun to watch 9/10

There are still tons more i would recommend but im to lazy right now. :p

Nausicaa an 8.5 out of 10? My fave of the Ghibli lineup.

If you want to make it a triple feature show that one followed by Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust immediately followed by Perfect Blue. The "Gingers" will love you for it. :D

Uh, too late D-Rage. I think I saw the third movie you were talking about. I never got to see the first two. The one that I saw combined part I and II, how Eiji Tanaka got himself a Garland, reawakened Eve and got her to be the new G7 operator. I had a feeling that there was a movie or series or sumthin, before it because of the prologue. The cover had a picture of Eve naked in the middle curled up in a semi foetal position. It said nothing about being Part whatever of Megazone 23, it just said Megazone 23 on the cover in green letters. Chill out though if you thought it was crap, i reckon it wasn't bad, I'll be interested to see the first two if I can find them. :)

Edited by kensei

For first-timers into anime I find it's better to stick with movies or shorter OVA's to get them primed up. It's always best to try to stay in the kind of areas they like to watch. Action movies, Sci-Fi flicks, Comedies, or if they pride off stuff like Usual Suspects. Find the corresponding anime to their tastes. Not all people will enjoy Mahoromatic, and others will not enjoy Vampire Hunter D. Either of them. I knew a guy whose wife was all for watching anime, but she refused to watch anything resembling a Vampire, live-action or not. Go figure. Same girl sat through Fist of the Northstar. Not happily, but she sat though it.

Some general crowd-pleasers I've seen work, and since the dubs are good for all of these, you don't have listen to complaints of having to read. <_< Except for Kenshin. Dub sucks on that one, ruins all of the impact. Make them watch it subtitled.

1. Rurouni Kenshin OVA. First. It will immediately disperse any remaining "cartoon" notions for the duration of the night or weekend. And it completely kicks ass.

2. FLCL

3. Cowboy Bebop movie

4. For a guy's only night, Vampire Hunter D, and Ninja Scroll, maybe Blood, are easy picks.

5. Jin-roh and Perfect Blue are also good viewings for the aforementioned Usual Suspects or Resevoir Dogs crowd, or film buffs.

6. Macross Plus works as well.

The first time a friend and I put it on for friends in the dorm a few years ago, some people didn't recognize what it was, more just a cool transforming fighter show, "kind of like top gun" was the lure my friend that rented the tapes thought of, I think. This was over 5 years ago, mind you. Then we get to part 3 when they show the SDF-1 and some of the novices went "Hey, that's the thing from Robotech!!" It was kind of funny. They didn't catch the VF-1 or Monster earlier on I guess. Whether they recognize it properly or know the proper backstory doesn't matter too much since they'll enjoy it anyway.

If they want a Macross refresher afterwards, put on DYRL.

Edited by Anubis

I've been watching foreign movies since I was 5, reading the subtitles.

If someone doesnt want to watch something because its Subtitled... Then they dont deserve to EVER see it.

MAKE SUBS NOT WAR! ^__^

-BEN-MAN-

I've been watching foreign movies since I was 5, reading the subtitles.

If someone doesnt want to watch something because its Subtitled... Then they dont deserve to EVER see it.

MAKE SUBS NOT WAR! ^__^

-BEN-MAN-

This statement is not meant to spark a dub/sub debate, just my opinion.

I prefer subtitles myself, but it often helps for those new to anime to watch a few good quality dubs first to wean them in a little. Then you feed them subtitles. After a while you don't notice them anymore really, unless it's a very busy scene, for me at least. I like to treat it as "to each their own." If a show has a good dub, I might try it. But the voices have to fit the character good, and I do it with the subtitles on anyway to see how much dialog changes. If it's too much, then it goes right back to Japenese.

Woah, wait a minute there, everybody will love Mahoromatic, EVERYBODY DAMNIT!!!

And seriously guys, DYRL is way more accessable than Macross Plus, let's not even start there.

BTW, the next one who calls Plus the "Top Gun" of anime will go immediately to my crap-list, not a fun place to be. If by that you mean it's a cheesey 80's piece of fluff, with that stupid midget Tom Cruise, I don't know how you could possibly mistake Macross Plus for top gun. There's way too much plot in Plus to ever compare it to top gun.

One last thing, ADV finally licensed all 3 parts to Megazone 23, so we'll finally get to see a decently subtitled set. Maybe if we're lucky, there will even be a soundtrack included.

Edited by Keith

ADV licenced Megazone???

///NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!//

For the LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD...

How could such a beautiful creation be licenced by that SHITTY bangfuggling company???

THIS SUCKS!

-BEN-MAN-

Ahh, well my Manga Night was a success as well as my cooking! :lol:;)

BTW guys, don't ever worry about recommending Hack and slash or gorey films to my group of girlfriends, they're freaks and actually like that sort of thing!

I didn't have a DVD player but my friends bought along a PS2 and we played it off there. Shifty huh?

We watched Macross Plus the OVA series. Even if I could of of hold of the Movie version, i wouldn't have showed it, it would have been much easier to watch and listen the OVA. The people enjoyed it, even though some people thought the end part where Isamu took a header into the SDF-1 to destroy Sharon could have been better. But they enjoyed it nevertheless and it looks like I'll be showing DYRL? at the next Manga Night in December! (They enjoyed looking over my 1/48 with FAST pack collection too!)

The next movie was Vampire Hunter D. Awesome animation and story although the DVD itself was a bit weird. You could hardly hear the characters talking but the sound effects and the bloody music friggin almost blew my windows out! It made it hard for all of us as we couldn't hear what the people were saying most of the time. Anyone know how to fix this? We were planning to see Jinroh the next time and one of my friends said that it had simular problems as well.

Anyway, just for a bit of fun here the menu I prepared for the night.

Lime-Ginger Chicken with Capsicum and Papaya Relish courtesy of Men's Fitness Magazine September Issue! (Almost sliced my friggin thumb off cutting the chicken, but my thumbnail saved it! :angry: )

Chicken, corn and tomato risotto. (Mmmmmm, Mmmmmm! substitute tomato paste for the pasta sauce for a more robust flavour! Courtesy of Survival of the Fittest - recipes for the Australian institute of Sport!)

Beef Chevups with sweet chilli salsa.

Alfredo Fetticine

and for the pesco-vegetarians and muslims of my crowd:

Salmon Fillet steaks with sweet savory marinade.

Italian salad with cherry tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing.

for dessert......

Apple strudel with vanilla custard. (it was a masterpiece as long as my arm shoulder to finger!)

Dinner Music: Soul Kitchen, Usher-9701, R&B classics, Nellyville and some laughs watching Australian Idol (aussie equivalent of American Idol whose winner was Kelly Clarkson) before the movies!

PS hey guys, you know how many chicks you can pick up when they know you can cook? Think of a number and multiply by four! Hehe....(my number was eight ;) )

PPS hey guys of the admin, anyone of you would like to hire me to cater at the next Macross Con? :lol::D;) ( just kiddin, the bloody amount of work near killed me catering for twenty people, how could i ever hope to cater for all of MW?)

Thanks for all your help and recommendations for my Manga Night! Cheers from Down Under MW's! B)

Edited by kensei

Woah, wait a minute there, everybody will love Mahoromatic, EVERYBODY DAMNIT!!!

And seriously guys, DYRL is way more accessable than Macross Plus, let's not even start there.

BTW, the next one who calls Plus the "Top Gun" of anime will go immediately to my crap-list, not a fun place to be. If by that you mean it's a cheesey 80's piece of fluff, with that stupid midget Tom Cruise, I don't know how you could possibly mistake Macross Plus for top gun. There's way too much plot in Plus to ever compare it to top gun.

One last thing, ADV finally licensed all 3 parts to Megazone 23, so we'll finally get to see a decently subtitled set. Maybe if we're lucky, there will even be a soundtrack included.

Chill out sunshine. People who say that Mac+ is the Top Gun are only trying to give the movie some praise. While that is not an analogy or comparison I would use, it did have the best aerial shots that I've seen for it's time, the plot is hopeless, it cannot compete with plus. I hope those people are only comparing the battles, not the rest of the story which is crap. Believe me, I hate Tom Cruise as much as you do, moresoever now that he's in the new movie The Last Samurai.

TELL ME THIS, WTF WERE THEY THINKING PUTTING TOM CRUISE IN A SAMURAI MOVIE??!!!!

Edited by kensei

6. Macross Plus works as well.

The first time a friend and I put it on for friends in the dorm a few years ago, some people didn't recognize what it was, more just a cool transforming fighter show, "kind of like top gun" was the lure my friend that rented the tapes thought of, I think. This was over 5 years ago, mind you. Then we get to part 3 when they show the SDF-1 and some of the novices went "Hey, that's the thing from Robotech!!" It was kind of funny. They didn't catch the VF-1 or Monster earlier on I guess. Whether they recognize it properly or know the proper backstory doesn't matter too much since they'll enjoy it anyway.

If they want a Macross refresher afterwards, put on DYRL.

It's not that my friend or I were comparing the two. He said kind of like Top Gun when the question was asked what it was about. Simple explanations are better done first. Whether or not any of us like Top Gun (I can't stand the bar scenes, I don't particularly care for Tom Cruise, but the dogfights were very good) everyone knows what Top Gun is. I wouldn't have used the analogy, but as a simple reference point, it got a few more people to sit down and give it a try. Newcomers into anime often need a familiar entry point to get them hooked. This combined with getting people to remember the Macross saga they saw in Robotech as kids helped fill the room. Almost 5 years have gone by since then. My friend and I showcased M+, Ninja Scroll, and a few other titles I cannot remember. It was before I got really into anime myself, and only knew a few titles back then.

It's not that my friend or I were comparing the two. He said kind of like Top Gun when the question was asked what it was about. Simple explanations are better done first. Whether or not any of us like Top Gun (I can't stand the bar scenes, I don't particularly care for Tom Cruise, but the dogfights were very good) everyone knows what Top Gun is. I wouldn't have used the analogy, but as a simple reference point, it got a few more people to sit down and give it a try. Newcomers into anime often need a familiar entry point to get them hooked. This combined with getting people to remember the Macross saga they saw in Robotech as kids helped fill the room. Almost 5 years have gone by since then. My friend and I showcased M+, Ninja Scroll, and a few other titles I cannot remember. It was before I got really into anime myself, and only knew a few titles back then.

Ah yes, you explained it better than I did. Thanks.