Which air brush do you guys use ?

laugh7887

Hi everyone , i'm just wondering wat kind of airbrush you guys use ? I personally use a Iwata hp-cr double action , with a 0.5mm nozzle ( http://www.arttalk.com/iwata/hp-cr.htm ). However , i sometimes felt the airbrush doesnt give me the control and fine line i needed to achieve fine shade for "Post shading" .

After viewing the video tutoring on airbrushing link by this article ( http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=12906 ) , i'm deciding to get an Aztec A470 Airbrush . ( http://naturecoast.com/hobby/aztek.htm ) . The main thing i'm most concern about is easiness to clean and handle .

I would appriciate for other recommondation on airbrushes aswell as what you guys thinkg about Aztec A470 Airbrush . Greatly appricate for your assistance! :lol:

Here is some of the spec on Aztec A470

FEATURES:

Internal mix, dual action airbrush with left-hand or right hand capabillities.

A470 is distinguished by tactile ergonomic grips and greater adjustability.

Patented Aztec Nozzle System for quick effects changes and minimal clean-up.

Can work as double or single action airbrush.

Durable, Lightweight Body Pinpoint Accuracy Control.

INCLUDES:

One A470 Airbrush

15ft hose

One Fine Line Nozzle/.30mm

One General Purpose Nozzle/.40mm

One High Flow Nozzle/.50mm

One Medium Coverage Nozzle/.70mm

One 2.5cc Side Feed Color Cup

One 3cc Gravity Feed Color Cup

One 7.5cc Gravity Feed Color Cup

One 10cc Gravity feed Color Cup

One 28mm Siphon Cap & Bottle

One 33mm Siphon Cap & Bottle

One Air Can Hose Adapter

One Instruction manual & video

One Wooden storage case

#A470

Price.....$109.99

Edited by laugh7887

I have an Aztek A430, which is only a basic version of what you are talking about. Still dual action, but no restrictor for paint flow.

I have nothing but trouble with it and would not buy another Aztek. I am now on my second body (replaced via warranty) and a mate in our modelling group has been through three. The nozzles wear out if you do a lot of modelling (I get about 12months to two years out of a nozzle), where as another member of the group has been using a Pasche VL for at least 15yrs with no trouble at all with the brush or needles.

I have also been informed that the Aztek's warranty period has been changed from lifetime to 3years only. I have also heard of Aztek A470's breaking internal bits that operate air flow.

As for ease of clean - you can't disassemble the body, so some paint will remain even after shooting a cleaning agent, and using the little red tool that comes with it, and despite being informed by the documantation you will have to diassemble the nozzles to get them clean. The fact that it is all plastic doesn't help either as I have broken a cup and three bottle lids as apart of everyday use (i.e. not dropped or abused, one was found to be broken when I opened the box)

Cheers,

Berttt

Edited by Berttt

:angry: I bought myself the same one 'cause I wanted to get a complete collection of fine nozzles for shading. Almost same story as yourself.

Main reason, my badger 150 only had a medium needle.

To make a long story short here are my remarks :

- forget about getting a clean airbrush, doesn't work

- nozzles : wear out VERY fast and the smallest get clogged easy b/c of the cleaning issues

- all plastic body and parts

- feels like a toy in the hand

And even shorter my pro's

:huh::o<_< right : NON

I reccomend getting something else

OMG ! is that true ? I had a bad feeling about this Aztec when i first saw it's plastic case , and complex internal structure . Thank you guys for leting me know , it sure saved my 100 bucks :o .

By the way , what kind of nozzle do you guys use ? I feel like my 0.5mm nozzle sometimes just put a huge thick line instead of the one shown by WM cheng. I've made sure my pressure is about 20~30 PSI , and more thinner , but the line is not consistent enough .

Thanks for all your help :p

Wow. You guys are worrying me. I've got one of those $40 dollar kits from Wal-Mart with the internal mix Aztek airbrush. It seems like a pretty good beginner's air brush. It could have a little better action in the air flow controll, but the compressor I use has a good regulator on it.

I haven't had any trouble with it yet, but I've only got the one tip for it.

Hey Laugh,

I use an Iwata Eclipse Autographics (side feed w/ a bigger color cup). I've had a great time with it, no problems with it not being precise enough. I know you already have an Iwata (a revolution, right?); I'd suggest you upgrade to one of the newer Eclipses with the .35mm nozzle, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by it.

BTW, don't buy an Aztek; I used one for a while....they're almost impossible to clean, they wear out quickly and break easily, and they just don't have very good balance IMHO. If you'd like something of decent quality and a little bit cheaper of a price, try a Paasche Millenium. I used one of those for a few years and it worked well for me.

Shaun

Thank you ScrubbyMonkey and Berttt .

i think i just found out the Iwata HP-C has an awsome 0.3mm nozzle for under 90 bucks . And because it's has (9ml) gravity feed cup , it should be easy to clean. It also has the option of 0.2mm or 0.4mm fluid nozzle conversion. I think this airbrush is pretty cool , cheap , easy to clean and durable B)) . ( http://www.arttalk.com/iwata/hp-c.htm ) .

Hi,

I use an AZTEC A470 as well. Only have a general and thin (low pressure) nozel, the siphon tube/jar and the gravity feed cup.

I have an old revell single action external mix airbrush which I use for very basic wide area coverage - anything for a lean and very mean finish.

I have a pasche compressor.

nothing too flash, total about A$400 (australian) spent.

cheers

Mark

Gunze Sangyo and Wave airbrushes are made by the same parent company that makes Iwata airbrushes. They are just marketed for different segments, Iwata to artist and Gunze Sangyo and Wave to hobbyist (at least in Japan, in the US only Iwata is sold and marketed). Gunze Sangyo airbrushes seem to have a price advantage over the Wave (not by much) and Iwata. A Procon Boy FWA Platinum 0.2 is 12,350 yen and the equivalent Super Air Brush Advance 02 is 12,850 yen. The HP-C Hi-line is $189.00, quite a bit more and it doesn't come with the optional crown cap (it allows you to get closer to the paint surface without splatter).

F.

I use the Revell germany dual action internal mix airbrush . it seems to use alot of common parts with a pasche airbrush so im looking into getting interchangable needle and tip parts for it . my compressor is the good metal testors one that allows you to control your air pressure settings.

Aztec airbrushes are good for 2 things 1 its good for beginners and is disposable 2 its cood for keeping when the nozzels are shot for dusting models. why waste money on canned air.

HI Gr8one , you can acutally get IWATA HP-C on ebay , they usualy range from 70 ~100 bucks , around 40 bucks cheaper . Good luck B))

I use a Brazilian model named GATTI AG-3.

it have internal mix, dual action and with left-hand or right hand capabillities.

its made of metal , so the wheight is perfect on the hand.

And its durable . I am using the same model for the last 15 years .

very easy to clean , and you can change the cup for 5 diferent sizes ...

you can see it at this link.

http://www.aerografosgatti.hpg.ig.com.br/aero.htm

I use an Iwata HPC top loader. It is awesome and over ten years old.

Wow , awsome . I think Iwata HP C is my next air bursh for sure !

I have one more question for you guys . Looking at the image of HP C+ and HP C i see HP C+ has some kind of adjustment knob for the needle on the rear of the airbrush , but HP C doesn't . I'm wondering what's that knob is for and what difference does it make ??

This is HP-C plus

HP-CPlus.gif

This is HP-C

hp-c.jpg

Thank for the help ! :p

Looking at the image of HP C+ and HP C i see HP C+ has some kind of adjustment knob for the needle on the rear of the airbrush , but HP C doesn't . I'm wondering what's that knob is for and what difference does it make ??

I don't have that particular airbrush, but I imagine the function is the same; on mine you adjust that dial to block the trigger. Pulling the trigger backwards pulls the needle back, opening the nozzle at the front and allowing the paint out, so pulling the trigger back different distances results in more paint (and realistically, a wider spray pattern). Adjusting that knob will prevent the trigger from being pulled all the way back, limiting the possibility of full-open spray.

(On single-action airbrushes a similar knob will just set how far open the nozzle is by moving the needle forward and back)

Thank you all , now i see what its uses are. i guess when one has bad finger control and need a consistent thin line, the adjustment knob comes in pretty handy :p , however the down size is it cost 60 bucks more !? :(

Edited by laugh7887

I use 3 kinds of Airbrushes.

Testor Body Airbrush. <Excellent for your painting Militray single colors on armor. Or Autos>

Cheap 12.00 Harbor's and Freiates pos. It works, can really complan.

Pachae, Pashea, Pac something a rather. One of them really expensive airbrushes. <I use this for very fine detail or just using it on my art work.>

Get that HP-C+ plus man, that $60 bucks extra will save you a lot of frustration while you are learning.

Berttt

Really ? i donno , $60 bucks is enough to buy my self another new airbursh , may i know what kinda frustration will i get without the needle adjustment nob ? :o

Thanx !! :)

Get that HP-C+ plus man, that $60 bucks extra will save you a lot of frustration while you are learning.

Berttt

Really ? i donno , $60 bucks is enough to buy my self another new airbursh , may i know what kinda frustration will i get without the needle adjustment nob ? :o

I recommend the hp_c also. I think it paints as wide as 3 inches, which is more than enough for scale modeling. I rather have the ability to paint fine line than really large area at one time.

DixieArts.com would probably have one of the best prices around, UPS ground shipping was included last time I bought from them. They are out of New Orleans, and I have recieved packages from them in two business days.

You don't have to buy a expensive one, just be sure what you end up getting is dual action.

Berttt

I recommend the hp_c also. I think it paints as wide as 3 inches, which is more than enough for scale modeling. I rather have the ability to paint fine line than really large area at one time.

DixieArts.com would probably have one of the best prices around, UPS ground shipping was included last time I bought from them. They are out of New Orleans, and I have recieved packages from them in two business days.

You don't have to buy a expensive one, just be sure what you end up getting is dual action.

Cool ! Thank you for your input :D

Dixel art is a great place to purchase airbrush , ( i purchase my IWATA HP-CR there ) . But this is weird , i just found out that HP-C is sold for 90 bucks in this KFI Nail & Beauty Supplies website ,....( http://www.kfibeautysupplies.com/viewitem....PID=100&VID=171 ) way much lower than regular price ( which is around 150 bucks ), it's a awsome deal ! :p

Berttt

Maybe it was just me, but I had trouble with balancing the dual action and trying to get my hand in the right spot, whilst maintaining a small line for all those panels AND staying steady. After 5 mins my hand was killing me.

I would have loved to be able to just set the amount of paint, pull back on the air and gone nuts. It's just one less thing you have to worry about when learning, and when you add up all the time wasted on practicing, or redoing work where you have squirted too much paint on a job, I think you will find it is well worth the price. And you'll e learning while completing a kit, instead of on a airbrushing hulk, or paper.

I mean say it saves you 20 hours over the course of a year, that's only $2.00 an hour which is a small price to pay.

But it's all up to you bloke, it's your cash.

Berttt

Edited by Berttt

I just realized dixieArt sell the " HP-C Pre-Set Adjustable Handles

"( for adjusting to the perfect working spray width. It limits the amount of needle travel allowing for greater control of the airbrush) seperately for 26 bucks !disconnect.jpg .....

This is so nice , one can purchase the HP -C under 100 bucks and pay 26 extra to get a preset handler instead for paying 160 for HP C+ which is basically samething as HP-C with preset handler .

Edited by laugh7887

you got it, the hp_c will give you more room to grow into. just keep on practicing on old models, you can wash the paint off and practice on the same model again and again if you want. most expert will tell you they mess up every once in a while, so go have fun.

This is my airbrush. It's simple, easy, and I'm happy with it. Doesn't gum up, cleans easily, sprays beautifully. I do have one problem. I don't seem to be able to get a really fine line like I would like for 1/72 shading. It does better on larger highlights...but panel shading is nearly impossible. All that said, I think my problem is technique, not the airbrushes fault. (In fact, I think WMChengs brush is similar...which would prove I'm just not good with this thing) The finest line I can get is at low PSI (12) minimal flow, and close up...works okay, but it seems like I should be able to do better.

Any advice for me? Would upgrading to a dual action help me out a lot? (and why? )

badger_200_20_detail.jpg

it is a good airbrush, I still have one though I don't use it anymore. It usually come with a medium tip, I think badger make fine tip for the 200 series. You should be able to do pencil lines with a fine tip (for nail arts?), psi at 8 or below and thinner than normal paint. I've never try below 5psi, so I can't tell you how it is, but at 8psi I can write with the hp-c... aiming it is another problem. :p

A dual IMO is just more flexible, not necessarily better. Add a dual action airbrush to your tool box if you think the single action does not meet your needs anymore.

When looking for a Air brush i would recommand looking for :

fluid nozzle opening : usually 0.2 to 0.3mm can give you very fine line

hairline : 1" (hairline to 25mm)

Gravity feed cup : this helps when cleaning , quick for switching paints .

Double actioin : offer more control over paint flow

Hope this helps B))