S.I.G...

F-ZeroOne

It still has that akward CG people in it, but since its frm the maker of Thunderbirds I wouldn't expect anything else. The mechs look great!

Mr Anderson would be terribly hurt to hear someone say that - he apparently never really liked puppets, and finds CGI characters who can actually run, jump, dive etc. much more to his liking.

Graham - I find it a bit strange also. I was a bit amazed to find that the creators of Team America were - rather obviously - inspired by Thunderbirds, but that they hadn't actually seen any episodes until relatively recently. It might be due to the TV set-ups in the UK, Japan, and US at the time; in the UK, you either watched Thunderbirds or you didn't watch anything except the Open University on BBC2...! :lol:

Japan, it really speaks for itself, though - cool mecha...

Well rats, they kept this quiet, I didn't even know it had been made and Captain Scarlet was always my favourite Gerry Anderson show. Thanks for mentioning it F-01, I'll be sure to have the VCR set next time.

You're welcome, MechaMaster. However, you're not alone in being caught out; while a remake of Captain Scarlet has been in the works for a while, it seems to have escaped the general press [1]. Also, the air date was pushed up to February from a planned autumn 2005 date; even Gerry Anderson seems to be a bit surprised and so, I imagine, are the various merchandising concerns, as it seems product lines will be appearing in the autumn (now to tie-in with a second season).

Oh, also from the website, one of Gerry Andersons aims was to make a CGI show with a much more rapid production schedule than was the norm previously...

[1] You can almost write the headlines yourself - "Captain Scarlet is Back - No Strings Attached!" :rolleyes:

ZOMG!!! teh CGI is terrible!1! Puppets looked much more lifelike!!! They were more compelling!!!11! Blah blah blah.... :rolleyes:

No seriously, it's cool to see a classic like this brought back. Growing up I had zero exposure to any of the Gerry Anderson shows, perhaps owing to their lack of popularity over here.

Awesome! My fave (besides the idealsiticness of T-birds) has been brought back to life and it looks pretty damn good for it's first episodes.

Im pissed that I missed teh first episode though, my TV books were too busy raving about Joey to give this the time of day. :rolleyes:

Like how they've rename dall the vehciles yet it's till obvious what they are to old fans (barring the new stuff). My only fears are that the acting sounds terrible and that the cheesy fake trucks used to hide the old SPV's won't reappear.

Hope some good toys come of this, I own all the Dinky and Matchbox models. :D

Caught the second episode, the graphics are very nice, the acting isn't as dire as it seemed in the trialer, there are a lot of really nice mecha designs including a big arse russian tank and it maintains the originals principle of not talking down to it's audience.

all in all, a very good start, hope it doesn't get canned. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Finally caught an episode the other day. The story was only average - a rather overdone SF staple - but the visual effects, especially the all important vehicles, are superb. Aviation heads (I believe we have a few here? ;) ) will probably really enjoy the SkyBases robotic deck landing crew, who make the proper gestures.

Not completely convinced by the voice acting, which seems a bit of a shame - the Gerry Anderson shows were known for their pretty distinctive voice work. I am probably biased, but I would have preferred a slightly more British sounding cast, like the original show.

Nabbed the trailer for a look-see, and have to say I'm somewhat impressed. The CG looks terrible, but I expected that, and the animation looks wretched wich was, again, expected. The characters don't look all that visually interesting, but at the same time they do retain the look I recall from the old Garry Anderson shows, not the marionette look, but rather the basic designs of the characters. The way the trailer was put together made it look dark and suspenseful, I'll be sorely dissapointed if the show doesn't live up to that much. I got a smile out of the 'Made in Hypermarionettevision' because it's really true, CG animation does have more in common with puppets than it does with hand drawn 2D animation.